4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

NVIDIA announces DLSS support for Red Dead Redemption 2

BlackScout

TheCoolDean

I only heard them say DLSS, no ray tracing for Red Dead Redemption 2.

• Like 2

Yeah they only stated DLSS is coming to RDR2, nothing else.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Ash_735 said:

Yeah they only stated DLSS is coming to RDR2, nothing else.

Crap, I should've paid more attention to what the guy was saying...
Weird that they've chosen not to add RTX but only DLSS.

I'll wait for an official statement from Rockstar as they are kinda of weird with communication and I wouldn't be surprised if NVIDIA itself didn't know about it.

I've fixed OP!
I've now changed OP to match the website statement as it's succinct enough.

Edited by BlackScout
51 minutes ago, DeltaV20 said:

but no rtx 😭

No one has mentioned RTX, that doesn't mean it can't be included at one point in the future too. Getting DLSS by itself for now is very good if you ask me. Just wait a bit.

Remember R* Dundee have been hiring graphics programmers preferably with existing experience in API's like DXR and RTX, so it's still not impossible to see ray tracing in a RAGE title in the future. Perhaps another future RDR2 update or GTA V E&E.

This is great news for those who struggle more to run the game or want to run the game at higher resolutions but better frame rates with not a huge visual hit. I'd also assume R* are gonna use FSR when AMD comes out with it, as R* already use a lot of the AMD GPUOpen libraries in RDR2.

• Like 8

So, R* is going to gimp the native rasterisation fps just to make DLSS look good, saw it happen with SotTR the moment they added DLSS support to that.

already playing this one at a solid [email protected] maxxed out, will be interesting to see how much damage this DLSS garbage does to the native rasterisation performance.

with all the foliage in this game, DLSS is going to look like arse.

• Like 1
  • excuseme 1
Posted (edited)

I wonder if Rockstar will come forward with some new details shortly? I bet it's going to be part of the Summer update for Red Dead Online. Little gutted about the lack of RT support though, maybe it will arrive with Expanded & Enhanced since it seems more suitable. 

Edited by VideoTech_
  • Like 2
Posted (edited)

I missed GTA SA days where R* and nVIDIA were working together to bring the best gaming experience to PC gaming!

Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpg

But later they deleted the nVIDIA logo from GTA SA intro... It was like they are not good with nVIDIA anymore!
But today It seems those days are coming again!

Not gonna lie it gave me goosebumps! RDR2 is giving me 45-70FPS in Ultra settings 1440P it seems soon I can enjoy 1440P 100FPS+ 

Thanks to everyone in nVIDIA and Rockstar games! Finally you did something for PC community!!!! 👏Waiting for DLSS2.1 to come in GTA:V E&E🙏

1 hour ago, Spider-Vice said:

Remember R* Dundee have been hiring graphics programmers preferably with existing experience in API's like DXR and RTX, so it's still not impossible to see ray tracing in a RAGE title in the future. Perhaps another future RDR2 update or GTA V E&E.

This is great news for those who struggle more to run the game or want to run the game at higher resolutions but better frame rates with not a huge visual hit. I'd also assume R* are gonna use FSR when AMD comes out with it, as R* already use a lot of the AMD GPUOpen libraries in RDR2.

Everyone can enjoy DLSS even low end - mid - high end RTX GPUs!
For AMD yes they working on it: https://www.techpowerup.com/282803/amd-announces-fidelityfx-super-resolution-fsr-its-dlss-rival
But I have to say FSR's rival is DLSS1.0 not DLSS2.1 !

About dundee they talked about Ray Tracing not RTX DLSS! I'm sure GTA Trilogy or GTA III only will support Ray Tracing!(Probably only for reflection!) (Also I have to mention RTX Ray Tracing has so much more details than AMD/Consoles Ray Tracing!)

Edited by WanteD1

It's a shame even w/ dlss at 3440x1440 can be a blurry mess. I run the game at a custom res (5120x2160). Either way, this is really noice!

NightmanCometh96
3 minutes ago, kubon352 said:

Will this make any difference for my 1050ti?

DLSS does not support Pascal (10 series) and below. You'd need a Turing (16 / 20 series) card or newer. If R* implements AMD's solution in the future, it should work on your GPU though, since that does support 10 series cards.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, NightmanCometh96 said:

If R* implements AMD's solution in the future, it should work on your GPU though, since that does support 10 series cards.

But then, I guess I'd need AMD CPU which I don't have :kekw:

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, NightmanCometh96 said:

If R* implements AMD's solution in the future, it should work on your GPU though, since that does support 10 series cards.

AMD FSR in action: 
photo-2021-06-01-18-08-21photo-2021-06-01-18-01-18
I'm glad Rockstar games chose nVIDIA RTX DLSS2.1 Technology over AMD's FSR Technology! 
FSR on PC and new Consoles = DLSS1.0 = Just Upscaling + Better FPS
RDR2 + RTX GPUs + DLSS2.1 = Better AA and image quality + Better FPS     FOR FREE! 

16 minutes ago, kubon352 said:

But then, I guess I'd need AMD CPU which I don't have :kekw:

Bro It's GPUs related only!

Edited by WanteD1

No. AMD's tech is all part of the GPUOpen tech stack which is totally open to every brand. RDR2 already uses stuff from AMD GPUOpen (the AGS DLL in the root folder). 

Meanwhile Nvidia relies on closed source proprietary tech to sell GPUs but that's a discussion for another day :p

4 minutes ago, Spider-Vice said:

No. AMD's tech is all part of the OpenGPU tech stack which is totally open to every brand. RDR2 already uses stuff from AMD OpenGPU. 

Meanwhile Nvidia relies on closed source proprietary tech to sell GPUs but that's a discussion for another day :p

I agree AMD is more user friendly! nVIDIA forces users to buy new GPUs! but also nVIDIA brings new and the best gaming technologies to their new GPUs!
nVIDIA always had better technologies it's obvious DLSS2.1 is better than FSR!(but sadly only for RTX owners! because it needs new Architectures!

How does DLSS 2.1 work?
NVIDIA Deep Learning Super Sampling (DLSS), is a deep learning technique developed by NVIDIA that uses artificial intelligence to enhance rendered frames. This technology, which must be added individually on a game-by-game basis, enables a significant performance boost by running the game at a lower resolution and by scaling the image with a nearly identical level of detail. This technology is based on the Tensor Cores, which are present in the GPUs of the RTX 20/30 series, which allows a performance increase of up to 70% .)

Also DLSS2.1 supports VR! RDR2 or V E&E can support VR in future if they needed it! 

Going to be interesting to see how this looks. As of right now, RDR2 heavily relies on TAA. Things like shadows and foliage only look right with TAA enabled. Playing at a high resolution (4K) doesn't fix the issues with these things, forcing you to enable TAA so they are rendered correctly. But if you're playing at 4K (or 1080p with 1.75/2.00 Frame Scaling) than the blurring effects of TAA are non-existent anyways, meaning you can turn down/off sharpening since the high resolution cancels out the smudging side-effect of TAA.

Will DLSS 2.1 remove the need of TAA to fix shadows and foliage? Or will DLSS 2.1 just replace Frame Scaling/native 4K, and TAA will still be necessary to remedy the odd rendering of shadows and foliage? We will see. But either way, I'm happy it's coming to RDR2. I'm already very close to max settings with my 3070, but being able to turn off frame scaling (currently at x1.75 with a native resolution of 1080p) and free up a bunch of performance, will be great.

• Like 3

I can't wait for that juicy Digital Foundry video on this. I'm sure Alexander Battaglia will be having a field day with coverage 

Posted (edited)
On 6/1/2021 at 4:07 PM, WanteD1 said:

RDR2 + RTX GPUs + DLSS2.1 = Better AA and image quality + Better FPS     FOR FREE! 

Just because you're not able to see the difference doesn't mean it's free.

DLSS is not as good as you keep saying.

Edited by Kris194
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Kris194 said:

Where you mean? go see DLSS2.1 tests on QUALITY option not performance! 
Just because you're not using it to see the difference doesn't mean it's not free/good! lol
I used it in many games difference is not that huge... cod mw and cod bocw and ETC
It makes a far small object a bit blurry ...but who the hell should notice that far object that doesn't matter? In quality option it gives native like image quality + AA + much more FPS! 
100000% better than AMD FSR in consoles 😂 

Edited by WanteD1
11 hours ago, Kris194 said:

It is great tbh, and it's free, unless I'm missing something. But it's obviously not perfect and has a slightly decrease in image quality when comparing it with native 4k, as mentioned in the video, but if you see the full video you'll see how much of an Fps boost it gives 

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, WanteD1 said:

It makes a far small object a bit blurry ...but who the hell should notice that far object that doesn't matter? In quality option it gives native like image quality + AA + much more FPS! 

So it's not "free" considering, that you still lose a little bit of image quality. It's like saying, that downgrade (now matter how small it is if it's visible with human eye) = optimization.

5 hours ago, Orthur The Boah said:

It is great tbh, and it's free, unless I'm missing something. But it's obviously not perfect and has a slightly decrease in image quality when comparing it with native 4k, as mentioned in the video, but if you see the full video you'll see how much of an Fps boost it gives 

Exactly, it's a phenomenal tech and it will surely allow more people to enjoy RDRII at high frame rates but saying, that it's equivalent of native 4K is a stretch. Reconstruction will always be just this, reconstruction. We can try to reconstruct missing information but it will be only close approximation of that information, not the same information.

Edited by Kris194
3 minutes ago, Kris194 said:

So it's not "free" considering, that you still lose a little bit of image clarity. It's like saying, that downgrade (now matter how small it is if it's visible with human eye) = optimization.

DLSS-UE4.jpg
This is what DLSS2.1 can do in Quality mode! sometimes it feels it's better than native! because it uses a very good AA technique too! 
RDR2 has a AA problem it feels blury! DLSS2.1 can help AA problem + boost FPS! 
I appreciate Rockstar and nVIDIA for bringing this to RDR2!
Let's wait till RDO's summer update! and then Digital Foundry will show us how it really works in this game! 

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Kris194 said:

Exactly, it's a phenomenal tech and it will surely allow more people to enjoy RDRII at high frame rates but saying, that it's equivalent of native 4K is a stretch. Reconstruction will always be just this, reconstruction. We can try to reconstruct missing information but it will be only close approximation of that information, not the same information.

I get your point, but it's not simple upscaling like filling in the gap, I don't know the specifics of how they're doing it but check this out :

AtAIEdo.jpg

DLSS 2.0 4k with 1080p internal resolution looks better than 4K native, somehow, notice the textures. At some areas like this it looks slightly better than native 4k, that's a big thing. There are people who want higher fps without playing at native 4k, and with tech like this which at times look better than native 4k while also more than doubling the frame rate, that's hard to ignore. And this is just DLSS 2.0, the 2.1 version will be even better!

• Like 2
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, WanteD1 said:

RDR2 has a AA problem it feels blury! DLSS2.1 can help AA problem + boost FPS! 

TAA will always make native 4K image (without TAA) look blurry. I know, what DLSS 2.0/2.1 is capable but the truth at the same time is, that Nvidia on their website obviously shows what they want to show and doesn't show what they don't want to show.

27 minutes ago, Orthur The Boah said:

DLSS 2.0 4k with 1080p internal resolution looks better than 4K native, somehow, notice the textures. At some areas like this it looks slightly better than native 4k, that's a big thing. There are people who want higher fps without playing at native 4k, and with tech like this which at times look better than native 4k while also more than doubling the frame rate, that's hard to ignore. And this is just DLSS 2.0, the 2.1 version will be even better!

That's because TAA softens image in motion and this is something DF is talking about in their video.

7:30

I know, that DLSS 2.0 is pretty sophisticated tech and I never said, that it's just "upscaling" because it's definitely not. In fact I'm waiting for the moment when tensor cores will be used also for denoising when using Ray Tracing. Despite all I said I still wait to see results in RDRII just like anyone here.

Edited by Kris194
  • Best Bru 2