3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

My theory about GTA 6

Posted (edited)

Many deal with theories about the map, the content, the protagonists and so on. No one deals with the real question: Will the follow-up title be called GTA 6?

Well, we live in the year 2021, the technology in game development has changed extremely and more is possible than in 2013 when GTA 5 was released.

We have to ask ourselves two questions: 
(a) why is R*G releasing an enhanced version of GTA Online in October/November 2021 and

(b) why is GTA Online being separated from the story game.

My theory is this: I think there will be no 6th part as a number. The two questions we just asked suggest that R*G will go a different way. The way about regular updates and content improvements and updates of their RAGE. Also the recent leak that the sequel to GTA 5 will be set in a modern setting points to my theory.

The size of the game world is no longer a problem. Example "$tar Citizen": Players in Star Citizen have a game world as big as the universe. Without loading bars and loading times. The technology used here is called SSOCS (Server-Side Object Container Streaming). 

Server-Side Object Container Streaming (SSOCS) is a streaming technology needed to expand the scale of the universe on Star Citizen servers. The basic concept is that if no player is near an object, the game can "freeze" that object's state. And instead of keeping the frozen entity in memory (incurring a cost), the game can serialize (using Serialized Variables) its state and store the serialized state in a database. While a client is moving through the virtual world, the server updates its view into the database to restore entities now in proximity as well as free and store away no-longer-needed entities.

Source: Object Container Streaming - Star Citizen Wiki

It is now possible to show the complete world on a PS4 as well. R*G could therefore squeeze the entire USA into a game without technical hurdles.

I don't think there will be a successor in the form of GTA 6. I think R*G will expand both games (story and online) with new content and permanently update their RAGE. R*G could finance itself like Epic Games (Fortnite) with skins and items. The game world can grow to enormous dimensions with "object container streaming". 

What do you think? 

Salut!

Edited by DRS|PYRO
49 minutes ago, DRS|PYRO said:

Many deal with theories about the map, the content, the protagonists and so on. No one deals with the real question: Will the follow-up title be called GTA 6?

Well, we live in the year 2021, the technology in game development has changed extremely and more is possible than in 2013 when GTA 5 was released.

We have to ask ourselves two questions: 
(a) why is R*G releasing an enhanced version of GTA Online in October/November 2021 and

(b) why is GTA Online being separated from the story game.

My theory is this: I think there will be no 6th part as a number. The two questions we just asked suggest that R*G will go a different way. The way about regular updates and content improvements and updates of their RAGE. Also the recent leak that the sequel to GTA 5 will be set in a modern setting points to my theory.

The size of the game world is no longer a problem. Example "$tar Citizen": Players in Star Citizen have a game world as big as the universe. Without loading bars and loading times. The technology used here is called SSOCS (Server-Side Object Container Streaming). 

It is now possible to show the complete world on a PS4 as well. R*G could therefore squeeze the entire USA into a game without technical hurdles.

I don't think there will be a successor in the form of GTA 6. I think R*G will expand both games (story and online) with new content and permanently update their RAGE. R*G could finance itself like Epic Games (Fortnite) with skins and items. The game world can grow to enormous dimensions with "object container streaming". 

What do you think? 

Salut!

Not entirely unbelievable with their previous statements about the future of the franchise.  We'll find out in a few months.

Racecarlock

First of all, you're not the only person who has thought of this. I've seen this exact post about canceling future single player titles and focusing exclusively on online updates at least 10 or more times by now.

The thing is, it doesn't actually make sense when you think about it. A game that made a billion dollars in a week, and they would sacrifice that for a few million from whales for every content patch? It makes no business sense. The next GTA is probably going to make even more money on it's opening weekend, and people seriously think they'd go "Nope! I hate massive profits at launch, I'd rather make a continuously diminishing pool of money from content patch microtransactions!"

I get it, it's been years since GTA V and people are on edge, but they haven't canceled single player GTA games. It doesn't make sense from a business or PR standpoint. Yes, the content patches are cheaper, but they also make a lot less money than they would from releasing a full game.

• Like 4
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Racecarlock said:

First of all, you're not the only person who has thought of this. I've seen this exact post about canceling future single player titles and focusing exclusively on online updates at least 10 or more times by now.

The thing is, it doesn't actually make sense when you think about it. A game that made a billion dollars in a week, and they would sacrifice that for a few million from whales for every content patch? It makes no business sense. The next GTA is probably going to make even more money on it's opening weekend, and people seriously think they'd go "Nope! I hate massive profits at launch, I'd rather make a continuously diminishing pool of money from content patch microtransactions!"

I get it, it's been years since GTA V and people are on edge, but they haven't canceled single player GTA games. It doesn't make sense from a business or PR standpoint. Yes, the content patches are cheaper, but they also make a lot less money than they would from releasing a full game.

OP didn't say they would cancel single player, just that they would rebrand it to fit into a larger universe going forward:

I think R*G will expand both games (story and online) with new content and permanently update their RAGE.

Edited by bakerach
Thomas Cavendish

Why would a company rebrand the most financially successful entertainment product of all time?

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, Thomas Cavendish said:

Why would a company rebrand the most financially successful entertainment product of all time?

In order to adapt to a rapidly changing market and maintain their place at the top of a fairly young and volatile industry.  It's not like they're going to ditch the GTA label, but rethinking their model of creating new entries in the series wouldn't be surprising in the least.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, DRS|PYRO said:

It is now possible to show the complete world on a PS4 as well.

Last thing anyone would want after "waiting" for almost already 8 years for next GTA is it being limited by the PS4 in any way... Many of us expect better physics, more interiors, more peds, better AI, better graphics, better destruction and so on and on. Also regarding Star Citizen, it's online title, not singleplayer title. There is only one thing I hate about RDRII on PC and it's not being able to play offline. Anytime my internet connection goes down I'm not able to launch the game... For all I care it can take 500GB or even more on my SSD, just make it possible to play offline.

Edited by Kris194
  • Like 2
On 5/29/2021 at 10:12 AM, Kris194 said:

Last thing anyone would want after "waiting" for almost already 8 years for next GTA is it being limited by the PS4 in any way...

You have misunderstood me. Sorry. English is not my main language. The PS4 was just an extreme case. :)