1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

Introducing New GTA Online Stunt Races (27th May)

kjahcleveland
8 minutes ago, Russi4nW4rrior said:

On console maybe. I got excited loaded up GTAO on PC and the record is 12 seconds. F*cking cheaters. 2x

Oh yeah whoops, I’m on PlayStation. 

• Like 1

It's been nearly 18 months since I entered a stunt race. Since Open Wheel launched, they have been exclusively my thing. I'll have to give the new ones a try. Maybe I should dust off my Shotaro and remind everybody why I am unbeatable on Over and Under.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, 1975Wolf said:

I lost every race on pc 🤧

I lost every race on the Rampant Rocket, but still beat a pack of tall chicks on Dinka Thrusts. 😂😂😂

Edited by Jenkiiii
  • KEKW 2

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or just no good at racing but despite trying many cars and mostly having full acceleration  for the whole lap, most other cars race ahead of me and I never win.

How come even from the start, some drivers go much faster? 

b

• Like 1
Arrows to Athens
1 hour ago, bmagee said:

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or just no good at racing but despite trying many cars and mostly having full acceleration  for the whole lap, most other cars race ahead of me and I never win.

How come even from the start, some drivers go much faster? 

b

What cars are you using? For example, what sports car do you use for the race ‘A Bridge Too Far’? The Itali GTO would be your best bet, as it gets a lot of speed from the tubes. There are other factors as well, like the racing lines you take, knowing your braking points, taking advantage of curb boosts, etc. Also, make sure the cars you are using are fully upgraded and have a spoiler installed on them (spoilers improve traction). 

Cluster Struck reminds me of an SNES/GBA Mario Kart track, maybe it’s a hint of what they intend to do with the kart races?

• Like 1
  • YEE 1
Posted (edited)
On 5/27/2021 at 6:23 PM, Jenkiiii said:

I'm curious as to whether Rockstar have spent any dedicated time on these new stunt races and done something innovative or different, or whether they're pulling past efforts out of the closet and doing the usual marketing something-from-nothing manoeuvre? My guess is that it's underwhelming marketing, but I'm going to log on for the first time in 2.5 months just to see.

Either way, it'll be good to race some tracks that others haven't hot-lapped to death and I might even get some wins against noobs for a change? It's been a while since I've properly stroked my ego.

Tbh, i don't like the new tracks. I see myself pretty good in races. Play also alot other racing games. The new tracks feel not made by somebody that knows what he is doing. It feels like a kid drawing his first track layout. I get frustrated by this tracks. The first track that is ok was a bike race and i don't like bike races that mich in gta. Something feels off. Like Kaizo Mario Levels or music with to much weird tunes. I can't explain it in english. Something is seriously off and don't feel like the made from the guys of the other races. Maybe the f1 races devoloper. Like those where shortly  used for that.... Irks. 

Edited by Fenrill
  • Like 4
54 minutes ago, Fenrill said:

Tbh, i don't like the new tracks. I see myself pretty good in races. Play also alot other racing games. The new tracks feel not made by somebody that knows what he is doing. It feels like a kid drawing his first track layout. I get frustrated by this tracks. The first track that is ok was a bike race and i don't like bike races that mich in gta. Something feels off. Like Kaizo Mario Levels or music with to much weird tunes. I can't explain it in english. Something is seriously off and don't feel like the made from the guys of the other races. Maybe the f1 races devoloper. Like those where shortly  used for that.... Irks. 

I think that's the reason these tracks were included in an Event Week and not as part of something more substantial. Play them and move on - my advice - as they're not good enough for regular play and are already being farmed for 3X cash by small groups with unrealistic win:loss ratios.

Don't worry about your English - it's a learning process

• Like 1
Arrows to Athens
5 hours ago, Fenrill said:

The new tracks feel not made by somebody that knows what he is doing. It feels like a kid drawing his first track layout. 

So basically 95 percent of Rockstar created tracks? 

I’ve said this before in another thread: Cluster Struck has the potential to be a decent track, but those stupid jumps just ruin it, particularly that one jump with speed boosts on it which is placed right before a sharp turn. Why do they think every race needs jumps? I don’t get it. It’s like some weird obsession. 

5 hours ago, Arrows to Athens said:

So basically 95 percent of Rockstar created tracks? 

I’ve said this before in another thread: Cluster Struck has the potential to be a decent track, but those stupid jumps just ruin it, particularly that one jump with speed boosts on it which is placed right before a sharp turn. Why do they think every race needs jumps? I don’t get it. It’s like some weird obsession. 

No. The earlier stunt races and als some a little bit later felt great. Now it feels wrong. I don't know wich race it was, but one just felt like a gt track. Even a decent one at that, with just one or two jumps. It was a great track. But no stunt race at all. Like this one gokart track they added. Then most of the other new feel wrong. Like a song with weird tones. Like somebody that don't know how to play and hit the wrong tones. 

Arrows to Athens
1 hour ago, Fenrill said:

No. The earlier stunt races and als some a little bit later felt great. Now it feels wrong. I don't know wich race it was, but one just felt like a gt track. Even a decent one at that, with just one or two jumps. It was a great track. But no stunt race at all. Like this one gokart track they added. Then most of the other new feel wrong. Like a song with weird tones. Like somebody that don't know how to play and hit the wrong tones. 

Even the early stunt tracks were pretty horrendous to be honest. Poor track design, poor checkpoint placements, too repetitive, get boring easily, etc. They’re just dull. Then again, I’m not a big fan of stunt races in general. Rockstar have pretty much always been sh*t at creating tracks. 

CarimboHanky

did the races yesterday, they are that bad.

i think the sun, sea and chicanes will have been better of i could use the formula cars instead of it been locked to sport classics

8 hours ago, Arrows to Athens said:

Even the early stunt tracks were pretty horrendous to be honest. Poor track design, poor checkpoint placements, too repetitive, get boring easily, etc. They’re just dull. Then again, I’m not a big fan of stunt races in general. Rockstar have pretty much always been sh*t at creating tracks. 

It's not the track design on the old tracks. Stuff like bad placement of track parts or the checkpoint have nothing with the track design in general to do. Those where pretty decent. But now even the design itself, not how it looks for that matters, how the track flow, is pretty bad. I love gt tracks more, but this feels like a strange combination of gt and stunt and i don't approve this. 

Hazzardtohimself
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, CarimboHanky said:

i think the sun, sea and chicanes will have been better of i could use the formula cars instead of it been locked to sport classics

That's a fair shout, not mentioning how grumpy Formula vehicles get in the air though.

To be fair, the layout of 'Sun, Sea & Chicanes' lends itself to most classes of racing (i.e. no vast 10-second jumps that the slowest Compact couldn't make) so it could have been left open. 

As with 'Cluster Struck' - would have been ideal for Karts, or for most other classes. 

Edited by Hazzardtohimself
I am derp
  • Like 2
SummerFreeze

Did they make Cluster Struck just to sell the Dominator GTX? Or is there a better car for it?

Canyon Fodder is lit tho. 🔥

• Like 3
clinical oppression
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, SummerFreeze said:

Did they make Cluster Struck just to sell the Dominator GTX? Or is there a better car for it?

I ended up buying one just for this myself ..... I havnt made my money back but I've placed 1st or second in full lobbies enough times to nearly cover half of it lol . Ended up buying a Camacho for canyon fodder as I always used bf400 for offroads but it turns out I had no custom offloader  for canyon fodder . I'm aware vagrant is the best but 1. Something  million vs 350k for the 2nd place isn't bad 

Edited by clinical oppression
  • Like 2
36 minutes ago, SummerFreeze said:

I find clique to be the best for this muscle race, better top speed than gtx and decent in corners. Sabre turbo is also great for speed sections but breaking and cornering is tricky. Canyon race can be frustrating because of lag and trolls smashing cars on purpose (that's given for every race though, so no contact prefered) and for that one kamacho is most stable with great off road and decent top speed. 

Overall, new stunts are great this week for rp grinding, especially if one manage to land in first 3 spots. I advanced 7 levels until now and i donvt even race regularly, so pretty much noob, still i got my share of wins, because people can't drive and break and most low levels don't have meta cars for each class. 

• Like 3
SummerFreeze
1 hour ago, ACR said:

I find clique to be the best for this muscle race, better top speed than gtx and decent in corners. Sabre turbo is also great for speed sections but breaking and cornering is tricky. Canyon race can be frustrating because of lag and trolls smashing cars on purpose (that's given for every race though, so no contact prefered) and for that one kamacho is most stable with great off road and decent top speed. 

Overall, new stunts are great this week for rp grinding, especially if one manage to land in first 3 spots. I advanced 7 levels until now and i donvt even race regularly, so pretty much noob, still i got my share of wins, because people can't drive and break and most low levels don't have meta cars for each class. 

I'm a big Clique fan; just haven't really tried it on that track yet. I remember I could never beat my Dominator GTX time in Duel, and Cluster Struck seems to have even more cornering.

• Like 3
CarimboHanky
3 hours ago, Hazzardtohimself said:

That's a fair shout, not mentioning how grumpy Formula vehicles get in the air though.

To be fair, the layout of 'Sun, Sea & Chicanes' lends itself to most classes of racing (i.e. no vast 10-second jumps that the slowest Compact couldn't make) so it could have been left open. 

As with 'Cluster Struck' - would have been ideal for Karts, or for most other classes. 

agree!

i found myself scratching my head wondering "why will you lock this race to this class when i can see X class doing good here?!"

• Like 1
Arrows to Athens
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Fenrill said:

It's not the track design on the old tracks. Stuff like bad placement of track parts or the checkpoint have nothing with the track design in general to do. Those where pretty decent. But now even the design itself, not how it looks for that matters, how the track flow, is pretty bad. I love gt tracks more, but this feels like a strange combination of gt and stunt and i don't approve this. 

No, even the track design was pretty poor, especially on certain tracks. Some tracks had sections where racers would cross past each other, causing you to get t-boned by other players. That is poor track design. And the track design on most of them weren't really interesting at all. They didn’t have any longevity. The poor checkpoint placements only added fuel to the fire. 

Edited by Arrows to Athens
Posted (edited)

Having played all of these new stunt races, I appreciate the effort of R* to gives these new races but i still must ask: WHERE THE f*ck ARE THE KART RACES?!?!?!?

I still cant believe they screwed it up by not giving us at least some filler Kart races until they can sort out whatever mess they did with the karts to not allow us to race with them.

Anyway, on to the races:

-----------------------------------------

Sun, Sea, and Chicanes: 8/10

A simple yet interesting race track with more focus on the racing than stunting, also it's the first stunt race we got for sports classics...f*cking finally!!!

The only issue I have with this race is the excess of curbs that some can exploit to take advantage of curb boosting.

Make sure to be driving a maxed Retinue Mk2 or Turismo Classic or you will lose.

----------------------------------------------

A Tight Spot: 6/10

A very cramped bike race that NEEDS to have contact turned off or it turns into a mess really quickly, no long jumps so you can't really glide which is a plus in my eyes, but otherwise the race is kinda boring.

Bring a Hakuchou Drag and lean forward or you gonna lose.

Bridge Too Far: 5/10

Pretty cookie cutter sports car race, nothing particular outstanding about the track in a good way, it has some small technical sections where cornering is valuable more than power, but it also has too many tubes and loops.

Itali GTO is clearly the dominant car here because of the tubes.

Meh.

Cluster Struck: 4/10

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love tight and technical tracks where power doesn't matter much than handling...But by dear god, who the hell though f*cking MUSCLE CARS were the adequate car class for this race? This track is 90% composed of very short straights and 90° bends...

And don't get me started on the intersections, they are more infuriating than anything else.

This should have been a Compacts car race or it should have been our filler Kart race, not Muscle cars...It gets 4/10 because using muscle cars here is more frustrating than fun.

And since there's only two muscle cars that can take corners in this game, these being the Dominator GTX and the Yosemite, bring those in.

Vicious Spiral: 6/10

Ehh...The visuals are breathtaking for the time, which is a nice thing, but they get distracting really quickly...Layout is the same cookie cutter stuff we are used to get, A random tube here, a couple of loops there, some boosts before big jumps...Meh.

The Tezeract will hit the roof of the spirals thanks to the fact that it's the Super car least affected by gravity and air drag, so don't use this car...Not the first time R* designs a race that some cars cant complete it...stares at my Issi Sport not being able to make the final jump in In The City.

I saw a sneaky Star Fox 64 reference in one of the blimps there, that gets a point from me.

Bring a Emerus or a Krieger here, as it is with almost all super car races.

Canyon Fodder: 9/10

Definitely one of my favorites, a long sprint stunt race that is 100 checkpoints long with plenty of elevation changes and off road sections mixed with tubes and tight corners, good on R* for not allowing bikes to join this race or they would be too dominant...But unfortunately they still let the Vagrant join which just obliterates the competition.

I kind wish this race also had a option for sports cars so I could make my rally cars shine too.

Smoke Up Your Asphalt: 8/10

I enjoyed this bike race far more than the other one, lots of big jumps but the following checkpoints where cleverly placed just short enough for you to easily overshoot them if you exploit the gliding mechanic, the layout itself is fun and engaging while also keeping you on your toes because the elevated track has no barriers whatsover, meaning that one single mistake and your out of track and gonna have to reset, losing precious time and positions.

Goes without saying but you also really want to race this track with contact off, otherwise folks will just push you off the road.

Hakuchou Drag is a good bike to use here, but the Shotaro and the Bati 801RR may also prove to be good enough thanks to the many sharp corners the track has.

City Limits: 5/10

Very basic bitch tier stunt track...Corners are wide and meant to be taken fast so you don't need to brake on them,  just a tap is more than enough, the jumps are boring and most supercars I used will clip through the ground on landing unless you hit the ground perfectly flat with the car which frankly is just stupid.

Weirdly enough, the Tezaract can be surprisingly dominant here if catch up is turned on because it will barely be affected by it and the corners are wide enough for them to not be much of a problem to be taken flat out on that car.

Otherwise, again, bring a Emerus or Krieger or lose.

Meh...

Edited by Pedinhuh
  • Like 2
Mutsor Tima

I assume that if you didn't do the Cayo Perico Heist for the Panther Statue at all the week before this... well, you're just out of luck, 'nuff said.

Arrows to Athens
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Pedinhuh said:

Sun, Sea, and Chicanes: 8/10

A simple yet interesting race track with more focus on the racing than stunting, also it's the first stunt race we got for sports classics...f*cking finally!!!

The only issue I have with this race is the excess of curbs that some can exploit to take advantage of curb boosting.

Make sure to be driving a maxed Retinue Mk2 or Turismo Classic or you will lose.

Cluster Struck: 4/10

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love tight and technical tracks where power doesn't matter much than handling...But by dear god, who the hell though f*cking MUSCLE CARS were the adequate car class for this race? This track is 90% composed of very short straights and 90° bends...

And don't get me started on the intersections, they are more infuriating than anything else.

This should have been a Compacts car race or it should have been our filler Kart race, not Muscle cars...It gets 4/10 because using muscle cars here is more frustrating than fun.

And since there's only two muscle cars that can take corners in this game, these being the Dominator GTX and the Yosemite, with only one of them being race worthy, either you bring a Yosemite or lose.

I've been having plenty of success with the Cheetah Classic lately. I've been winning pretty much every race with it. Initially, I was using the Retinue Mk2, but then I started using the Cheetah Classis and had a much better experience racing with it. I even got a much quicker lap time with it. The Turismo Classic or the Cheetah Classic is your best bet.

For Cluster Struck, the Clique is probably your best, but the GTX is almost just as good, though its piss poor top speed can really hurt it, especially in the final section of the race leading to the start line. Not sure about the Yosemite.

Edited by Arrows to Athens
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Arrows to Athens said:

I've been having plenty of success with the Cheetah Classic lately. I've been winning pretty much every race with it. Initially, I was using the Retinue Mk2, but then I started using the Cheetah Classis and had a much better experience racing with it. I even got a much quicker lap time with it. The Turismo Classic or the Cheetah Classic is your best bet.

Well I should have added that in my opinion those are the most dominant cars.

And for the life of me I just cant maintain the pace I have on the Turismo Classic with the Cheetah Classic, and out of them all it's the Retinue Mk2 that I can consistently drive best.

The Cheetah is kinda deceptive, sometimes the car feels just right in your hand, other times it just wants to oversteer at the slightest steer input, with the Retinue and the Turismo I know what I can expect.

1 hour ago, Arrows to Athens said:

For Cluster Struck, the Clique is probably your best, but the GTX is almost just as good, though its piss poor top speed can really hurt it, especially in the final section of the race leading to the start line. Not sure about the Yosemite.

I used them all and so far I got far more consistent lap times with my GTX and specially my Yosemite.

I dont really find the top speed of the GTX much of a problem in that track since it doesn't really matter that much, given that the top speed section is small compared to the rest of the track...But the car does have some issues with putting the power down at corner exists, specially at the U turns, because that's where the muscle cars would be getting the mid drive speed boost from downshifting, but the inverse happens with the GTX...On the other hand that helps it tremendously with maintaining a consistent pace.

The biggest strenght of the Clique is curb boosting so it can outrun all the other racers, but curb boosting in that track is risky business because of the execess of hairpins and the barriers are right next to the curbs...Not to mention that the Clique likes to roll over too, I rolled a few times already because I went for the curbs inside the hairpins.

Overall I feel that the Yosemite is far more consistent than it, even though it lacks the top speed and crazy acceleration to match up.

Given that the default laps are 4 there, I think maintaining a fast pace consistently is more important than sheer speed.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

I had another go at these new stunt races last night, third time of asking, but lasted two rounds and then did something else. Like most stunt races, they look visually interesting but get old really quickly because of the design, especially for sports and supercar races. The problem is the way they are designed, with not enough driving skill required but just the ability to point a controller and accelerate. Once you add catchup into the mix, competition becomes akin to tadpole racing: a massive head of players competing for the podium, plus the tail of stragglers, which is the whole point of catchup and to make racing seem more fun and exciting, but actually makes racing stagnant in the end.

Take real-life circuits such as Silverstone (England) and Suzuka (Japan). Suzuka is probably my favorite of all because of the incredible mix of high-speed straights and very fast chicanes. If you don't control your exit into the corners and fail to brake sufficiently (or too much) you crash or lose a lot of speed to your rivals, just like the fast-paced corners at Silverstone that cannot be taken at full speed and require lots of discipline. The problem with fast-paced Rockstar stunt circuits is that you can take them at full throttle without much thought most of the way round, but then suddenly come across hairpins or right-hand turns that wipe you out if you don't brake enough, or get rear-ended by other players if you do, and there are not many areas in which you can use skill or knowledge to get an advantage, which is why they get stale after the wonders of being fresh and having klaxons and flashing lights wear off.

There are other design flaws such as the use of metal barriers and the uneven gaps and links between them, which means you can't take extreme lines because your car may get pranged for getting too close. You're already at the jarring point of going from fast straights to right-angles, plus the fear of getting rear-ended, so the last thing you need is a horrible gap/link that will snag your car when you're pushing it. Either remove the barriers to create wide run offs like they do in modern-day circuits, or create smooth barriers that allow for a small margin of error, but not the inconsistency of these horrible gaps/links.

The track that works the best is CANYON FODDER in my opinion because of the amount of natural Rockstar terrain and the need to control your braking points and keep it on the road. SUN, SEA AND CHICANES is also pretty decent, especially as it uses Sports Classics and can't be taken flat out (although it does have metal barriers), but that's where the positive comments run out. The other six circuits are flawed and I won't miss them going forward, but at least Rockstar did something visually interesting with VICIOUS SPIRAL and threw a spanner in the works with CLUSTER STRUCK (which can be fun).

The problem is, 95% of gamers pull up a menu or hit a button when they fancy a bit of racing and don't have access or can't be bothered with closed crew racing and better circuits, which is why it is so important for Rockstar races to be absolutely top quality when being accessed by so many.

Edited by Jenkiiii
  • Like 3
On 5/27/2021 at 7:56 PM, Spider-Vice said:

I'm not sure what people's expectations were here? They were very clear in the initial announcement post - eight new stunt races, not more, not less. The real juice is coming in the Summer. A couple of the races seem to be getting pretty good feedback even.

If you expected more than the stunt races and a regular event week then it's on you.

I was expecting a better sale accompanying the new races to be honest. You know, discounts on the competitive cars & bikes in each class, mechanical upgrades, Benny's conversions and whatnot. A proper racing week, we got an irrelevant DDH sale instead. 😑

On 5/27/2021 at 6:14 PM, Hazzardtohimself said:

Thanks @IceDree for the quick Newswire summary!

On 5/27/2021 at 7:42 PM, Taterman said:

Thanks IceDree.

On 5/27/2021 at 7:56 PM, Lonely-Martin said:

Thanks @IceDree. 👍

On 5/27/2021 at 10:32 PM, God-eater said:

As always, thank you to @IceDree

My pleasure, cheers! 🍻

On 5/27/2021 at 10:32 PM, God-eater said:

- oh, and it's "Voltic". 😆

Derp. 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Like 2
SummerFreeze
Posted (edited)

I no longer think the Dominator GTX is the best car for Cluster Struck, because it's possible to drive along the outside railing of the hairpin corners and that's faster than staying on the track. The difficulty is keeping the car from actually driving on the railing. The Clique works pretty well for that, but maybe some other car is even better. Suspension and wheel type probably have an effect as well.

Edited by SummerFreeze
  • Like 1