1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

Anyone else feel Franklin is one of the most underrated protagonists?

Comrade Monke

Comrade Monke

In GTA5,if you pick ending C he is the only one that ends up completely different than what he started as where the other 2 end up the same.

Michael and Trevor end up the same as they started out. (Unless you pick either ending A or B).

Michael begins rich bank robber with a family,and ends up the same. Trevor begins from a psychotic gun and drug dealer and ends up the same.

Franklin, however,begins from a small time gangster, stealing cars for Simeon,and living in a small house in grove street,and ends up as a big gangster and robber, having participated in various huge robberies, living in a large mansion.

I also feel that ending B is the best ending in terms of Franklin's arc,the student truly surpasses the mentor. 

Maybe it's because I have gotten so used to 3D games where the protagonists there truly have rising-to-the-top arcs. And Franklin I feel is the closest to that in the HD games.

Ofcourse this is all just my take,what do you think?

He is overrated! 

No where near CJ! 
No gangster feeling!
Had no trust in his best friend lamar!
Can't keep his girlfriend! (CJ had so many! Catalina was dying for him🤣)
And can betray both Trevor and Michael! 
And....!

Also same thing goes for Michael! 
But Trevor was pure! even if he had mental problems because of the bad life he had!
Every Trevor actions / dialogue had a reason! a big back story behind actions...but both other two characters were so normal/boring without giving you a back story! 

.Sharingan
15 minutes ago, Jokeman123 said:

He's the worst of the three but still better than Luis

naaah disagree with you. Franklin is some washed up gangbanger i guess with barely any experience in voice acting or whatever you wanna call it. He doesnt do the character justice at all. Sometimes outright dreadful (voice)acting). Luis on the other hand is way cooler the way he was portrayed was 100 times better than Franklin

Jokeman123
33 minutes ago, .Sharingan said:

naaah disagree with you. Franklin is some washed up gangbanger i guess with barely any experience in voice acting or whatever you wanna call it. He doesnt do the character justice at all. Sometimes outright dreadful (voice)acting). Luis on the other hand is way cooler the way he was portrayed was 100 times better than Franklin

True but I felt Luis was very bland as well, half the time he was complaining about prison and getting locked up and stuff. Even in cutscenes he seemed very boring in a way compared to the other characters, Franklin isn't good either but I think he's a little more interesting

He may have ended up different in terms of the lifestyle, but his character still remains the same. The opposite is with T and M. Their lifestyles remain the same but their character evolved.

• Like 3

I prefer Franklin too. But I do not see him as underrated. He is the main protagonist of the game and the evolution you see in him is because of this fact.

Cutter De Blanc

Underutilized perhaps but I wouldn't say hes underrated.  Hes rated so low because he's underutilized

Definitely the least interesting and complicated of the trio, but not everybody has to have the pathos and moral complexity of Niko Bellic to be a decent character. 

universetwisters

Not underrated because a lot of 11 year old white kids who want to be soundcloud rappers obsess over him.

Though his story is pretty much moot once Trevor and Michael meet

Lamar will be better protagonist, because we actually have some

gang minigames not drinking wine minigame between ironing clothes in lonely big house at the end of world...

yungstirjoey666
Posted (edited)

I think Franklin kind of suffers from "black best friend syndrome." I kind of liked him better than Trevor and Michael in a way, because he isn't a backstabber nor some crazy mass murderer like the other two.

But yeah, his character is often brushed aside. I think Rockstar Games should've given him more detail on his character, such as despite going from rags to riches, he forms a minor conflict with Michael since he brought him to a life of even riskier crime and government interference. Or we could've focused more on his other skills, such as street-racing.

Edited by yungstirjoey666
  • Like 5
CynicalMexican
5 hours ago, yungstirjoey666 said:

I think Franklin kind of suffers from "black best friend syndrome." I kind of liked him better than Trevor and Michael in a way, because he isn't a backstabber nor some crazy mass murderer like the other two.

But yeah, his character is often brushed aside. I think Rockstar Games should've given him more detail on his character, such as despite going from rags to riches, he forms a minor conflict with Michael since he brought him to a life of even riskier crime and government interference. Or we could've focused more on his other skills, such as street-racing.

Oddly enough, I found Franklin to be the most bearable of the three for that same reason you point out. 

He's the classic "only sane man in the room". He's more grounded than the other two. Is he milquetoast? Yeah, somewhat, but he's not living in the past and it's funny to hear him call out sh*t.

All 3 protagonists and the entire story suffer because the game is so ambitious yet we get the fewest missions in any GTA. Hell, Toni Cipriani and Vic Vance were more fleshed out in their games.

• Like 3

No. In fact, I'm gonna say he may be the worst of the three GTAV protagonists, and all three are my least favorite of any GTA I've played.

I get they were trying to go for a CJ vibe, a character who was both relatable and "docile" enough to play the "straight man" during the cutscenes, but he also was someone who was a ghetto thug.

Unfortunately, Franklin's two critical faults lie in their failure to understand why one character worked and the other doesn't.

The first is that through the writing, he just comes across the whole game as whiny and pathetic. It should tell you something that the most memorable scene of Franklin is when he's getting roasted for not being able to get any "bitches on [his] dick" on account of his "yee-yee ass" haircut. And secondly, while I mean no disrespect to the actor playing Franklin, to me, he doesn't sell me on being a criminal. When he's stealing cars, or shooting people or crashing into people ... I'm sorry, I don't hear some guy who's stealing cars and shooting people or crashing into people. He sounds like ... as I believe people like Franklin and Lamar would call it ... a "candy-ass bitch".

However, if it's any consolation, at least he's not as irritating as Trevor is. And I like Trevor, but he just goes so far over-the-top for zero reason and with zero real consequences for anything he does that, even for a character meant to be "un-relatable" personality-wise, he becomes ANTI-relatable. Actually, thinking about it, Trevor is like Dick Cheney: A horrible person who's horrible all the time and yet never has horrible things happen to him in return, to the point where (even if you have reason to love him) you want to see awful things happen to him just for continually being an outwardly awful person who never suffers for it.

Yeah, you can tell I'm a big "fan" of GTA5...

On 6/4/2021 at 10:45 AM, CynicalMexican said:

Oddly enough, I found Franklin to be the most bearable of the three for that same reason you point out. 

He's the classic "only sane man in the room". He's more grounded than the other two. Is he milquetoast? Yeah, somewhat, but he's not living in the past and it's funny to hear him call out sh*t.

All 3 protagonists and the entire story suffer because the game is so ambitious yet we get the fewest missions in any GTA. Hell, Toni Cipriani and Vic Vance were more fleshed out in their games.

Yes, he may "call sh*t out", but rarely does he do anything about it. He just whines and then still goes along with whatever it is people tell him to do. This is actually my major issue with GTA5 - everybody in the game spends the entire runtime bitching. You spend 2 IRL hours completing a series of missions to do a heist, and you'll only spend about 25% of that time actually playing. The rest of that time is spent driving from point A to point B while people bitch and moan nonstop in your ear. And then at the end, you do the heist and then Lester drives up and is like "lol nope". Bam, all that screwing around at the docks was literally for nothing. GTA5 seems to really enjoy doing that, hence why I really enjoy not touching the game. :^)

As for the 3 protagonists, I can see the logical evolution of that from the way the stories of GTA4 and EFLC intertwined with each other. And it also keeps the action fresh by being able to switch to different perspectives in the heat of the action so there's never a "dull" moment (if only they took that into account while making the cutscenes.) Plus, as the series has expanded, upgraded and matured over the decades, I can see how it becomes harder to write a protagonist who, like CJ, can be likeable and sympathetic and not look out of place helping people BUT ALSO can be a violent psychopath who wouldn't look out of place beating a grandmother to death with her pet terrier. It's like they took one protagonist and violently tore him into three pieces,hence why we ended up with "Milquetoast Whiny-ass", "Whiny-ass Who Has Nowhere To Grow From", and "Psycho Who's Unstable to the Point of Being Obnoxious" as playable characters.

The main problem is that trying to keep track of the money, weapons, ammo, missions and properties of three different people who are just irritating to play as only resulted in killing my interest in doing so.

Thankfully, I think Rockstar really did a good job of balancing that inner-character conflict with Arthur Morgan. Live and learn I guess ... but at, credit where it's due, at least they're learning!

..... about some things, at least ......

• Like 3