4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

RDR 1 did the music better than RDR2

thalilmythos

thalilmythos

So I finally after years got my hands on RDR2 Oh my god, what a great game, the experience, Is like nothing I've ever seen before, I spend a couple days where I could not comprehend how something can be that good, I live in a third world country so getting a Computer that could handle RDR2 Was to say the least, difficult, which is why I didn't play it on release, anyway, I'll get to my point.

I love the game in every sense But i can't help but feel that the music Is lacking WHEN YOU COMPARE IT to the first game, It was so atmospheric back then. and had an ambience and a flow to it, I remember seeing the video rockstar made about how the music was created, and when I understood the system I realized why It was that good, everything ties In and just flows throughout your entire play session, however In RDR2 that feeling is lost, I believe the environmental noise is heavier in this game, there's less music when you ride or move through the world which allows you to have moments of silence when you can listen to nature or maybe hear the sound of an animal while hunting which is awesome if you are like me and you try to hunt without tracking.

Seeing it that way, I understand why the ambience music is not so much in here, but it detracts from the quality of it, making it less memorable, which is another reason why American venom Is so incredible to do, Hearing that classic music start just hits you like a horse kick.

Anyway, I felt like expressing that, what do you people think?

• Like 1

Mysterious hero
Posted (edited)

New Austin, West Elizabeth, and Mexico each had their own unique ambience. The areas in the second game don't, which makes them all feel generic by comparison.

Edited by Mysterious hero

thalilmythos
1 hour ago, Mysterious hero said:

New Austin, West Elizabeth, and Mexico each had their own unique ambience. The areas in the second game don't, which makes them all feel generic by comparison.

As a matter of fact, they actually do have their own unique ambience, but it's so subtle that you barely notice, trust me, the music in the murfree hills is the reference, it gets way more creepy there than say, valentine for example.

The Tracker
Posted (edited)

You forgot to specify you're talking about "Ambience music", because with "music" you can mean a lot of things, like "Combat music" or "Original soundtrack"

Combat/Mission Music: RDR2 >>> RDR1 (IMO)

Edited by The Tracker

Lemoyne outlaw

i partly agree. the riding around music is not as good as rdr1. but the mission music and even the songs easily beat rdr1. i will say the lemoyne ambience music is amazing. it makes me feel like im in the south.

• Like 1

DarkDayz
Posted (edited)

The Jose Gozeles moment is solidified in gaming history. It would be hard for Rockstar to top that. But they for sure came really close in RDR2. For me especially with the music at the end of Chapter 6, hit me like nothing has hit me. And the house building theme was awesome too.

Edited by DarkDayz
  • Like 2

billiejoearmstrong8
Posted (edited)

I think they're both very good as far as music goes. For me it's just that the ambient music in New Austin in RDR1 is so exceptionally good it can't be beaten.

3 minutes ago, DarkDayz said:

The Jose Gozeles moment is solidified in gaming history. It would be hard for Rockstar to top that. But they for sure came really close in RDR2. For me especially with the music at the end of Chapter 6, hit me like nothing has hit me. And the house building theme was awesome too.

Oh and also that! But yeah I agree, both have great music.

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8

TheOriginalGunslinger
7 hours ago, DarkDayz said:

Don’t forget “Compass” when riding back to Beecher’s Hope to finally see Abigail and Jack again. Definitely not as memorable as “Far Away” as you mention but it was a touching moment for sure.

• Like 3

PapasHota

Apart from graphics everything´s better in the original RDR.

• Like 2
  • excuseme 1

billiejoearmstrong8
Posted (edited)

Only place I think RDR1 did badly with music was with "Bury Me Not On the Lone Prairie" playing after the final mission. They had so many amazing atmospheric tracks they could've used and that snippet of croaky singing with no music they went with totally falls flat imo. It just feels awkward, especially as they're

Spoiler

literally burying him on a prairie as it plays lmao.

I can't think of a single other time I wasn't happy with the music in it though so that's not bad going.

16 hours ago, TheOriginalGunslinger said:

Don’t forget “Compass” when riding back to Beecher’s Hope to finally see Abigail and Jack again. Definitely not as memorable as “Far Away” as you mention but it was a touching moment for sure.

And an honourable mention to the fabulousness of "Bad Voodoo" playing on the ride across Mexico to the final zombie battle in Undead Nightmare. I love what they did with the soundtrack for that, the added spooky edge and incorporation of retro rockabilly/surf rock is perfect for it.

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8
  • Like 2

GroveStGTAV
Posted (edited)

In RDR2, especially i hate that comedic ranch theme when i visit west elizabeth everytime. Sometimes, even it plays at the Tall Trees in RDR2. Tall Trees supposed to creepy, snowy, dangerous area in RDR1

My favorite one is this. It plays around blackwater. It reminds me that small town meaning of the last years and ending of the wild west

Edited by GroveStGTAV
  • Like 2

The Tracker
26 minutes ago, GroveStGTAV said:

In RDR2, especially i hate that comedic ranch theme when i visit west elizabeth everytime. Sometimes, even it plays at the Tall Trees in RDR2. Tall Trees supposed to creepy, snowy, dangerous area in RDR

I'm curious, which theme?

GroveStGTAV
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, The Tracker said:

I'm curious, which theme?

And just compare with this: First one plays in RDR2's Tall Trees and second one plays RDR1's Tall Trees

Edited by GroveStGTAV

thalilmythos
Posted (edited)
On 5/21/2021 at 3:59 AM, The Tracker said:

You forgot to specify you're talking about "Ambience music", because with "music" you can mean a lot of things, like "Combat music" or "Original soundtrack"

Combat/Mission Music: RDR2 >>> RDR1 (IMO)

All of the music ties in into a soundtrack they all have the same tempo and are all one big piece structured to flow into the gameplay.

Check this out to see what i mean.

I mean all of the music, ambient music, combat music and even particular moments of the story, nothing beats "Far Away" in RDR1, maybe only unshaken comes close, but mostly because of the cinematic of THAT particular moment in the mountain top with the sun on the horizon.

Edited by thalilmythos

LorshZontek

I honestly agree, the music honestly blends in for a lot of the areas, the only soundtrack that honestly felt different was when you are in the mountains, it's lonely and kind of unnerving and i love it, the music at night also has that unnerving feeling but for the most part it just kinda blends in except for some cases, i'm not saying it's bad or anything but it does feel the same in a lot of areas compared to the first game where you could tell an area by its music alone such as new austin being more western, blackwater and tall trees being depressing and unnerving, mexico having somewhat upbeat music

• Like 3