3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Abigail sucks

T34416l31

Am I the only one who cant stand Abigail's character in rdr2?  All she does the entire game is whine and complain. Every time John does ANYTHING short of running and hiding in a whole, she freaks out and acts like a b****. Nothing is ever good enough for her. 

• Like 2

I also find her annoying but then again it is how Rockstar generally writes women: They are psycho, promiscuous or nagging.

There are exceptions but Abigail ain't one of em. 

its understandable, she has a kid to protect, shot and killed Milton, and is on the run with a wanted outlaw, if he kept doing sh*t to get him exposed no wonder she flips

• Like 8
paperbagdude

Abigail is hot as f*ck. It compensates her annoyance any day

Cutter De Blanc

Busiest girl on nickel night!

Naw I like her alright, maybe a bit less in the epilogue though, but she been stuck with Marston, might make anybody crabby after a few years

• Like 1
  • Best Bru 1
billiejoearmstrong8
Posted (edited)
On 5/14/2021 at 12:28 PM, happygrowls said:

its understandable, she has a kid to protect, shot and killed Milton, and is on the run with a wanted outlaw, if he kept doing sh*t to get him exposed no wonder she flips

Also what we didn't see is the 8 years between 1899 and 1907 where they constantly had to move around because he wouldn't stop getting into trouble everywhere they tried to settle. Her reasons for dumping him seem a bit harsh since he didn't really have a choice but to defend the ranch in that particular case but you have to remember this is after it's happened over and over again. 

Another thing to consider is this was over 100 years ago and women didn't have the choices they do now. He knocked her up when she was 18 and took a long time to step up and be a father while she struggled to raise the kid in less than ideal circumstances. She was an uneducated ex child prostitute and unmarried mother, she couldn't just leave him and go and get a career like a woman in the 21st century could, she needed him to get his sh*t together or she and their child had no future. Yeah she was sh*tty to him at times but he wasn't exactly a model husband and father either. She wasn't just "being a bitch", she was trying to ensure her, John's and their son's survival.

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, T34416l31 said:

Am I the only one who cant stand Abigail's character in rdr2?  All she does the entire game is whine and complain. Every time John does ANYTHING short of running and hiding in a whole, she freaks out and acts like a b****. Nothing is ever good enough for her. 

She literally forged him into being a better man, straightened him out, as any great woman would, but ok. He would not be the man we love in the first game without her. Arthur too of course, but she's part of it.

Edited by DarkDayz
Lemoyne outlaw

i agree definitely one of the worst members in camp and even in the epilogue. and i hate the mission where she forces arthur to take jack fishing.

She looks like my Ex, so yeah, i agree with you OP, my Ex loved talking about sucking me as well.

• Like 2
  • KEKW 1
Posted (edited)

She does?

So you had her to huh?

I wouldn't go saying that too loud, John might hear you. 

...but considering the fact that Dutch does say they all had her, then maybe he won't mind.

I don't know she's not the worst character in the game.

I can certainly think of another rat that I dislike more.

Edited by Deadman2112
billiejoearmstrong8
2 hours ago, Deadman2112 said:

She does?

So you had her to huh?

I wouldn't go saying that too loud, John might hear you. 

...but considering the fact that Dutch does say they all had her, then maybe he won't mind.

I don't know she's not the worst character in the game.

I can certainly think of another rat that I dislike more.

That was a great taunt from Dutch but I think the way things are in RDR2 pretty much confirms he was just talking sh*t/exaggerating to razz John, there's no way that happened. 

(I know your post is in jest but just made me think of this)

OOOTUR I GOT A SON, MUH SON, MUH SON OOTUR, YOU GONNA HELP ME AND MUH SON OOTUR.

• KEKW 4
BoulderFaceplant

I can see what they were going for with John whipping his pistol out and making Abigail frustrated. The problem is, the writers gave John too much justification, so when Abigail got mad and left, she seemed unreasonable to most players. It’s a similar problem to Insomniac’s Spider-Man when he was being “overprotective” of Mary Jane even though he really wasn’t. 

• Like 3
Cutter De Blanc

John be like, "What was I supposed to do Abigail, just NOT kill all these people?"

• Like 2
Mysterious hero
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cutter De Blanc said:

John be like, "What was I supposed to do Abigail, just let these people kill us?"

FTFY

Edited by Mysterious hero
  • Like 1
  • YEE 1

She's like the Skyler of Red Dead lol... but I can't blame John, Abigail is such a snack.

• Like 2
  • YEE 1
wangsparkinglot

I like her, she got sucked into the outlaw life. Never participated in any of the criminal activity like Karen and Mary Beth.

Consistently her main focus was Jack and protecting him. She wanted him to have a father and a decent one at that. 

Because of the gangs activities her son gets kidnapped and her family is in perpetual danger.

In the epilogue 8 years of drifting around finally she has enough of John. John mans up and builds a life for them.

Shes a good strong character for the era in my opinion

• Like 3
Cutter De Blanc
3 hours ago, wangsparkinglot said:

I like her, she got sucked into the outlaw life. Never participated in any of the criminal activity like Karen and Mary Beth.

Consistently her main focus was Jack and protecting him. She wanted him to have a father and a decent one at that. 

Because of the gangs activities her son gets kidnapped and her family is in perpetual danger.

In the epilogue 8 years of drifting around finally she has enough of John. John mans up and builds a life for them.

Shes a good strong character for the era in my opinion

Going by some of Arthur's insults, she wasn't always such a morally righteous woman

billiejoearmstrong8
1 hour ago, Cutter De Blanc said:

Going by some of Arthur's insults, she wasn't always such a morally righteous woman

She was forced into prostitution and thieving as a child at time and place where poor women (and especially orphans with nowhere to go and no one to help them) had very few options. Remember she was very young, only 18 when John got her pregnant. Both her and John joined the gang because they were desperate kids with no other options. She didn't have the luxury of being a "morally righteous woman".

Posted (edited)

John can act quite stupid sometimes. Both Arthur and Dutch points this out numerous times during the story and I agree with them. Abigail has to take all responsibility for Jack while John neglect him. Plus if John followed Anigails advices the ending in RDR1 would be quite different.

Edited by Cyper