4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTA VI Cars' Physics

mrwolf425

3 hours ago, mrwolf425 said:

Agree, but the driving in GTA V was odd, it feels like something is missing, couldn't feel the car or was disconnect from it.The GTA IV's driving physics+the damage model was alright but it was too much exaggerated in term of suspension. I think what R* should do in the next GTA is making the physic/damage model more authentic, but put a slider or switch into the option menu to choose to activate or deactivate it. In anyway the car driving style in GTA V wasn't too appealing, and they must do something about it. PERIOD.

I think the biggest problem with V's physics is the weight of the vehicles. They're all incredibly light and can get air off the slightest bump. This naturally affects the way cars handle and makes the player feel less in control to an extent. IV was the opposite, though in that one every car felt incredibly top heavy. Even average sedans looked like they were going to tip over on the slightest of turns.

I'm all for them going more realistic with the physics and the damage but only to a point. I think going to ultra levels of realism would sort of destroy the game. Imagine a GTA where anytime your car leaves the ground it's all but certainly going to be destroyed when it comes back down. Or losing your steering every time you jump the curb.

I also don't really think it's something that could just be an option you toggle on or off, either. Any missions that involve driving would have to be tailored to accommodate both styles. I imagine missions designed so that you never go off jumps, or drive over bumps, or hit anything would be boring as hell.

Also, I'll never understand how anyone can think that all the vehicles in GTA V "feel exactly the same". It's a pretty common statement and I just don't think it could be any further from true.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, DexMacLeod said:

I'm all for them going more realistic with the physics and the damage but only to a point. I think going to ultra levels of realism would sort of destroy the game. Imagine a GTA where anytime your car leaves the ground it's all but certainly going to be destroyed when it comes back down. Or losing your steering every time you jump the curb.

Yes, you're right, extreme realism is definitely not the right way for GTA series but I think, that it should still feel "realistic". I don't know if you've ever played Beamng but in this game there is a massive difference between vehicle type and class just like you would expect it to be in real life. Just because you got good at driving with modern sports cars shouldn't mean, that you're good at driving cars from 50s, not even close. Let's take for example 3-wheeled car in that game.

320px-Pigeonbase.jpeg

Trying to make a sharp turn with it ends exactly how you would expect it to end. All I want to say is that driving in GTA should be really a joy just like horse riding is in RDRII.

GTA V's crash physics are so bad compared to BeamNG and it isn't surprising tbh but I hope GTA VI doesn't have crash physics that are too watered down like GTA V.

• Like 3
15 hours ago, Thomas Cavendish said:

I imagine your car's trunk can store all your weapons and items, and like RDR if you are near and open it up you can choose whatever you want.

Ver a imagem de origem
But you can't carry all your weapons with you, obviously, like RDR.
You can choose some of them (like RDR) and carry it with you inside a bag.
You can leave the bag wherever you want (like the sadle in RDR) and choose some guns to carry.
Your bag stays there, and you can retrieve whenever you want.

Resultado de imagem para car trunk full or guns How to Find The Best Gun Range Bag for Every Mission - 5.11 Blog

I mean, I would be all for them leaving out the bag thing altogether. If your weapons are in the trunk, and you are in a mission that requires certain circumstances, this creates an element of strategy for the game. I need to pick off a guy from a distances, best to take a sniper. And then all of the associated panic with that in situations where you have taken totally the wrong weapons.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Orthur The Boah said:

GTA V's crash physics are so bad compared to BeamNG and it isn't surprising tbh but I hope GTA VI doesn't have crash physics that are too watered down like GTA V.

I think, that they will find the golden middle. All in all GTA IV, that had impressive physics and crash physics was released when no one was even dreaming about BeamNG.drive.

13 years old game... It's insane how much ahead of its time GTA IV was, like Rockstar had time machine or something. I could post literally tens of great car crashes videos from GTA IV.

Edited by Kris194
  • Like 5
1 hour ago, Kris194 said:

I think, that they will find the golden middle. All in all GTA IV, that had impressive physics and crash physics was released when no one was even dreaming about BeamNG.drive.

13 years old game... It's insane how much ahead of its time GTA IV was, like Rockstar had time machine or something. I could post literally tens of great car crashes videos from GTA IV.

I was actually thinking of watching a comparison of BeamNG and GTA IV ;)

Although the crash physics are awesome, it doesn't seem like many people like the handling in GTA IV :D, so I hope Rockstar finds a 'golden middle' for that too!

• Like 3
Posted (edited)

Thank you Sir, you really made my day. The Beautiful GTA IV and NYC, it was ahead of its time in every aspect. And it is still underrated. I want to thank R* for making such a game. The definitive game that represent NYC. No other game until this day has represented NYC like GTA IV did. R*R*R*R*R*R*R*R*R*R*

Edited by mrwolf425

If gtaIV had a more arcade way of driving, or if you could have the option to choose between realistic and simulation like in mafia then it'd be considered the best gta in terms of driving by a lot of people until this day

• Like 1
MiamiViceCity1986
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Kris194 said:

Yep,. GTA IV's driving physics and damage models were so advanced if it was released now it would still put many open world games to shame. It's actually kind of sad that we're in 2021 and open world games in general even with the extra horsepower of two console generations since 2008 still feel cheap compared to GTA IV. Even GTA IV's successor with all that development budget and resources failed in that department.  

So with that being said I hope GTA VI leans more back towards GTA IV in regards to its physics (not just driving). When it comes to driving I love that GTA IV is raw and unforgiving. That balls to the wall feeling that if I make the slightest mistake can have huge consequences is pretty much what I want to see from the driving experience again. GTA V softened up too much. 

Edited by MiamiViceCity1986
  • Like 4
Racecarlock
16 hours ago, DarkDayz said:

I mean, I would be all for them leaving out the bag thing altogether. If your weapons are in the trunk, and you are in a mission that requires certain circumstances, this creates an element of strategy for the game. I need to pick off a guy from a distances, best to take a sniper. And then all of the associated panic with that in situations where you have taken totally the wrong weapons.

So, is this just going to be in missions? Because, like, one of the funnest things about GTA free roam is being able to whip a rocket launcher out of your pants and go nuts. A system like this would strip that element completely out, and it's one of my favorite elements.

On 5/16/2021 at 7:12 AM, Racecarlock said:

So, is this just going to be in missions? Because, like, one of the funnest things about GTA free roam is being able to whip a rocket launcher out of your pants and go nuts. A system like this would strip that element completely out, and it's one of my favorite elements.

Yeah it's a good point. This is what I'm saying about them leaving it out as I'm not convinced it will work as well as it does in RDR2. It's a balance, whilst it will add various new aspects to the gameplay, as you say it will remove others. I'll leave it up to the professionals!

Thomas Cavendish
On 5/16/2021 at 3:12 AM, Racecarlock said:

You still can rocket launch anytime you want. Just pick it up like any weapon. You could carry it anytime you want. In no situation it prevent you from using it.

Posted (edited)

I'd love to see the driving physics we have in Mafia Definitive Edition (Classic Difficulty). Clearly a pain in the ass to control the car when you drive fast, but I think that'll benefit excellent drivers while the bad ones will stick to lower speeds. Something realistic basically 😛

(Even if I know that will never happen, because kids need to be able to drive without hitting every pole else they'll complain everywhere they can that the whole game sucks because of that and boom sales will drop like a rock)

Edited by PinbaII
5 hours ago, PinbaII said:

I'd love to see the driving physics we have in Mafia Definitive Edition (Classic Difficulty). Clearly a pain in the ass to control the car when you drive fast, but I think that'll benefit excellent drivers while the bad ones will stick to lower speeds. Something realistic basically 😛

I'm not sure what cars you were driving but modern cars don't control like cars in 1930s.

• YEE 1

Been playing Days Gone since it just came out on PC and I really hope the bikes in VI control similar to it. They're weighty, you can see and feel the suspension when going over uneven terrain, you spin out when accelarating too fast in mud and in general they just feel really good. Maybe tighten up the turn radius a little to compensate for dense city streets. It would feel really cool to be in a biker gang in GTA Online with that handling.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Kris194 said:

I'm not sure what cars you were driving but modern cars don't control like cars in 1930s.

They don't for sure, what I meant is I basically want BeamNG / RF2 physics. Something not easy to control at first, giving you a lot of pressure when you drive at high speed on highways :wtf:

The Green Goo

I want a balance between IV and V. I'd like to have a real sense of danger when driving at high speeds, but that might not be good for gameplay if you keep destroying your car and dying after crashing.

• Like 3
NightmanCometh96
Posted (edited)
On 5/21/2021 at 12:29 PM, The Green Goo said:

I'd like to have a real sense of danger when driving at high speeds, but that might not be good for gameplay if you keep destroying your car and dying after crashing.

This is already similar to how it is handled in V; unlike IV, you almost always die after ejecting from the windshield at high speeds (ironically making this aspect of V's driving more realistic than IV's) and your vehicle will more often than not explode if you don't land 100% perfectly from great heights. I personally don't think it's fun. If anything, it makes driving at high speeds too frustrating and punishing to be worth it in V, so I usually go back to the older titles if I want to go cruising to my heart's content. This is only a problem in single player; I dislike GTAO, but thankfully it gets rid of both mechanics, at least from my experience playing it.

I wouldn't mind keeping windshield ejection around if it goes back to IV's emphasis on the ragdoll physics and not instantly killing the player, but I really hope the instant vehicle destruction from falling is scrapped in VI.

Edited by NightmanCometh96
  • Like 2
On 5/14/2021 at 7:25 PM, DeltaV20 said:

but V's driving is more enjoyable

Did you just say that for real? How can you enjoy it when the Phantom and the Banshee handles exactly the same?

• excuseme 1
  • Bruh 2
Racecarlock
23 hours ago, NightmanCometh96 said:

This is already similar to how it is handled in V; unlike IV, you almost always die after ejecting from the windshield at high speeds (ironically making this aspect of V's driving more realistic than IV's) and your vehicle will more often than not explode if you don't land 100% perfectly from great heights. I personally don't think it's fun. If anything, it can make driving fast too frustrating and punishing to be worth it in V, so I usually go back to the older titles if I want to go cruising to my heart's content. This is only a problem in single player; I dislike GTAO, but thankfully it gets rid of both mechanics, at least from my experience playing it.

I wouldn't mind keeping windshield ejection around if it goes back to IV's emphasis on the ragdoll physics and not instantly killing the player, but I really hope the instant vehicle destruction from falling is scrapped in VI.

There should be a seatbelt option in the menu if windshield ejection sticks around. Like, sure, the first time it's funny, the 786th time you're like "Oh for f*ck's sake I just want to get where I'm going".

• Like 2
Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Racecarlock said:

There should be a seatbelt option

There was a seatbelt "option" in GTA IV if I'm not wrong but in that game after crash your car didn't look like nothing happened and that's probably why it was removed in GTA V.

Edited by Kris194
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 5/21/2021 at 11:33 AM, Cosworth said:

Did you just say that for real? How can you enjoy it when the Phantom and the Banshee handles exactly the same?

No they don't.

On 5/21/2021 at 9:29 AM, The Green Goo said:

I want a balance between IV and V. I'd like to have a real sense of danger when driving at high speeds, but that might not be good for gameplay if you keep destroying your car and dying after crashing.

I actually was curious and decided to tinker with the handling.meta lines to test in GTA5 the best balance for this sense of danger without being too punishing. A deformation value of 1.0 is already quite punishing on many vehicles as 2-3 big hits will smash your car up in a way where the wheel gets bent and you can't drive it anymore.

For collision dmg multiplier I originally tweaked it to 99.999999 to see what it would do, doing that just made everything from a simple traffic cone damage the car so much that it caught fire after 5 seconds. I then tested with several other values but I find that I default to a value of 1.0 for the best balance.

With engine dmg multiplier I first set it at 30.0 for a car to see how much time it takes before the engine cuts off. Turns out unlike the last two aforementioned values this one is best set to 3.0-5.0 for the best balance. Rockstar tends to set this one around 0.8 to 1.3 which is too low and why the cars have a tendency to be tough like tanks.

On 5/14/2021 at 6:29 PM, DexMacLeod said:

I think the biggest problem with V's physics is the weight of the vehicles. They're all incredibly light and can get air off the slightest bump. This naturally affects the way cars handle and makes the player feel less in control to an extent. IV was the opposite, though in that one every car felt incredibly top heavy. Even average sedans looked like they were going to tip over on the slightest of turns.

This weightlessness of vehicles that you describe can be mitigated by enabling the increased gravity handling flag, something which rockstar only uses on like 7 or 8 cars. Not even the big trucks like the packer or phantom have it enabled.

Edited by Yinepi
CynicalMexican
On 5/15/2021 at 5:46 PM, MiamiViceCity1986 said:

Yep,. GTA IV's driving physics and damage models were so advanced if it was released now it would still put many open world games to shame. It's actually kind of sad that we're in 2021 and open world games in general even with the extra horsepower of two console generations since 2008 still feel cheap compared to GTA IV. Even GTA IV's successor with all that development budget and resources failed in that department.  

So with that being said I hope GTA VI leans more back towards GTA IV in regards to its physics (not just driving). When it comes to driving I love that GTA IV is raw and unforgiving. That balls to the wall feeling that if I make the slightest mistake can have huge consequences is pretty much what I want to see from the driving experience again. GTA V softened up too much. 

Possibly unpopular opinion, but the only open world game (aside from the RDR series) that felt like it did something NEW was Watch Dogs 2... god the interactivity and little details in that game is addicting. 

Why do I say that? Because GTA 4, alongside Saint's Row 2, were both so damn progressive in terms of mechanics. The physics, driving, models, details, etc and it feels like open world games haven't got much better except look pretty. They both did something NEW. Something mind blowing that we could only dream of in 2005.

It's why if GTA 6 is just GTA V but with a big Vice City map, I'm basically just giving up on R*. Like come on, so much has advanced in hardware. We can do so much better, online profits and mainstream casual customers be damned.

As to the actual topic, the driving could definitely be tighter. Not necessarily 100% realistic. Imagine if the Hotring Sabres in GTA Online handled like cars from NR2003 as an example. People would hate it. 

Tighter driving and more realistic damage like in IV. God I miss that damage system.

On 6/1/2021 at 12:19 PM, Yinepi said:

No they don't.

Yes they do. Don't try to explain the physics of the game that I've been playing for 8 years lmao.

Bloodytears1666

'Course I would love the game goes full sim in driving physics, but at the same time know, that will not happen. Even if they will put a little effort into some different types of suspension, tires, and perhaps downforce, it would be nice. 

Currently in V most of cars feel barely different from each other, to be honest only top speed and acceleration differ, it gets old pretty quick and makes no difference in what car to choose, since I know, they all take the same corner identically in terms of chassis performance. 

Sounds in other hand are decent, can't ask a level of Assetto Corsa from Rockstar, simply because they making their own machines.

3 hours ago, Cosworth said:

Don't try to explain the physics of the game that I've been playing for 8 years lmao.

You've been playing for 8 years but you think the Phantom and the Banshee handle similarly?  Lmao.