3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTA VI Cars' Physics

mrwolf425

Hey Guys, with the rumored new GTA 6's map leak, excitement is sky high. I can't hold my self to make some ideas about the next RockStar's BIG title, and GTA 6 new cars/bikes. I think RockStar should consider enhancing the cars' physics, damage model, and authentic engine/turbo/exhaust sounds of each car/bike. lets make the driving experience more authentic/challenging. What you think my dear fellow gamers?

iwqx8Tf.jpgUPcG3wR.jpg8iEAXiQ.jpgNRXBRXF.png6yBluz7.jpgWO94EuS.jpgcAE4lTP.jpgwiKQLhJ.jpgwNoatq2.jpggyJiuPb.jpg5eHvhd8.jpgXK5rMhC.jpgTaa0oQV.jpgHWriIy0.jpgegZ9jED.jpgHFsuWDN.jpg

• Like 2
Thomas Cavendish

IMO the physics must be improved (back or similar to IV's) and we must be allowed to use the trunk to store weapons, tools, people, corpses, items.
I'm really waiting for these.

Posted (edited)

Yeah, GTA IV was my favorite in term of physics, but not the cars. They were very jiggly like boats. lol. Rockstar need to re-invent the cars' physics from scratch. The IV and the V installments weren't the perfect example in term of cars' physics.

Edited by mrwolf425

And the game is called Grand Theft "AUTO". haha. come on, R*. A little respect for Automobiles (Cars/Bikes/Boats...)

The Tracker
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, mrwolf425 said:

Yeah, GTA IV was my favorite in term of physics, but not the cars. They were very jiggly like boats. lol. Rockstar need to re-invent the cars' physics from scratch. The IV and the V installments weren't the perfect example in term of cars' physics.

They could take some inspiration from Mafia 3 driving physics, IMO.

Edited by The Tracker

Sure, Mafia 3 was a pretty decent game. But from what I saw in RDR2, R* can Go even further. Of course there wasn't any modern car in RDR2, but the horse movement was so accurate. Just wow.

• Like 2
Schwartzxz
11 hours ago, mrwolf425 said:

Hey Guys, with the rumored new GTA 6's map leak

the same one that "leaked" last year or is there a new one now? probably fake too

26 minutes ago, Schwartzxz said:

the same one that "leaked" last year or is there a thnew one now? probably fake too

The same but the so called "leaker guy" has added more details to the photos. It is like an update. Fake or not, I wish this could happen in the near future. I like the the disposition of 3 islands. Beautifully made.

I think somewhere between what IV and V did could be pretty good in terms of vehicle physics. Both were ridiculously over the top but in opposite ways, in my opinion. I think some sort of balance between the two as far as the physics are concerned with something more like Forza Horizon 4's handling and tuning would be perfect. 

Posted (edited)

i wish as realistic as possible. It was all good when i was kid with the very arcade driving in gta 3 and sa, i liked it as kid,, no problem and gta 4 was feeling so real,,, but then i got driving license and driving in games became all so lame. All the fun from video game driving kind of disappears after getting license in real life and driving daily, because you realice how unrealistic the video game driving is and it cant be compared to the real life feeling.

So yeah as realistic driving as possible for all games for now on.

Edited by Mktz1
Racecarlock

Neither IV or V got driving right. I enjoyed V's driving more, but that doesn't mean it was perfect. Let's talk about IV's problem first.

Well, okay, before I get to talking about IV's problem, I have to mention that I played through the game and all the DLCS and indeed spent a lot of time driving around for fun and learning to drift on the beach. Ok? So all y'all "git gud" motherf*ckers can rest assured that I did. I spent hours playing the game. Of course I got good. Here's the problem, the cars slid way the f*ck too much. It felt like I was hydroplaning even if the road was completely dry on a warm summer day. I managed to get good at it, but just because I could get good at it doesn't mean the handling itself was therefore good. It's nearly impossible to drift even though drifting is possible to do in real life because the back ends on the cars go around so quickly that it's far more difficult than it otherwise would be in real life. If I were to compare how they handle to cars I've driven in racing sims, they handle like F1 cars from the 60s with bouncy suspensions.

The cars in V, on the other hand, remind me very much of how LMP1 le mans cars handle in racing sims. It's almost impossible to spin out, you can go around corners at insanely high speeds, and once again it's nearly impossible to drift because this time the cars have way too much grip. I enjoyed these physics more than IV's physics because I didn't have to worry so much about going fast, but if I'm being honest, I would like to worry a little bit about going fast. Worrying about going fast is where the fun of going fast comes from.

In the end, I hope VI's handling is somewhere between IV and V, where the cars slide a little more than they did in V, but a little less than they did in IV. Or better yet, IV's physics for cars with looser suspensions like RWD muscle cars and lower end consumer vehicles, and V's physics for the fast and modern sports cars designed to have high grip and go around tracks quickly.

Posted (edited)

I can imagine cars in GTA VI with a realistic damage model. Where physic simulation is the master piece that can give you satisfaction and the real car's behavior (some how like BeamNG). When you accelerate or brake, how the car's suspensions react to street elevation (Highs and lows) at 200 mph. Or the deformation/damage of the car's chassis or parts, when you hit a running car on the opposite direction on the highway. In GTA IV Bellic will jump through the windshield glass, lol. and don't forget the chase cam behavior, the variation of the FOV, or the distance between the car and the camera... Maybe the variations of the  engine/exhaust sound is part of the sensation too. R* should find the secret formula/ingredients to make the driving experience more enjoyable. And sure they will, like always 😉

Edited by mrwolf425
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Mktz1 said:

i wish as realistic as possible. It was all good when i was kid with the very arcade driving in gta 3 and sa, i liked it as kid,, no problem and gta 4 was feeling so real,,, but then i got driving license and driving in games became all so lame. All the fun from video game driving kind of disappears after getting license in real life and driving daily, because you realice how unrealistic the video game driving is and it cant be compared to the real life feeling.

So yeah as realistic driving as possible for all games for now on.

I wish they would offer us choice where one of possibilities would be almost full-on driving simulator with support for racing wheels. 15 years passed since Xbox 360 was released and there is still not even a single racing sim, that gives you open world experience like GTA game. Come on devs, it's almost like an insult for those who love to drive in real life.

6 hours ago, mrwolf425 said:

I can imagine cars in GTA VI with a realistic damage model.

About that, I would love it to be the option.

Meanwhile in GTA V:

"Has anything even happened"?

Edited by Kris194
mattsvids4u
Posted (edited)

Unfortunately, even in RDR2, all of the stagecoaches and carriages kept their main frame no matter what you did to them. You couldn't really completely crush or destroy one. I have a feeling that while the destruction will be improved, VI will be nothing like Beam.ng (which can be really impressive)

Edited by mattsvids4u
2 hours ago, mattsvids4u said:

Unfortunately, even in RDR2, all of the stagecoaches and carriages kept their main frame no matter what you did to them. You couldn't really completely crush or destroy one. I have a feeling that while the destruction will be improved, VI will be nothing like Beam.ng (which can be really impressive)

WOW guys, I never saw this video about BeamNG before. The physics is in another level. Just wow, this is a simulation. BTW it remind me somehow of GTA IV in some points. But GTA IV's car behavior needed some fixes. it wasn't that accurate. I remember first time I laid my eyes on GTA IV in 2008, I was in state of shock and confusing between two sensations, the satisfaction of the game's Mechanics/Graphics/lighting and the oddness/unexpectedness of a such rich and diverse open world like in liberty City /New Work City. I never saw something like that before. And R* knew how to capture NYC's vibe (far lights coming from skyscrapers, or yellow fading lights coming from a house's windows on the other side of the street). And even after GTA VI, I wish seeing NYC in the next title, the Skyscrapers, streets, pedestrians, cars, taxis, street vendors,  mafia gangs, Helicopters, Bridges, ambient sounds mixture from every corner of the city, with more complex interactions with NPCs around the city (especially with the rise of AI, it will make the experience more realistic), Finger Crossed of course.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, mattsvids4u said:

I did mention RDR2, just to make a statement how much the horse movement is accurate and realistic, imagine that kind of accuracy with a road car. BTW I couldn't play AC Origins neither AC Odyssey because of the horses. The design and development of this poor animal is awful and ugly. This statement can reflect to watchdogs vs GTA too. Ubisoft try always to mimic R*'s work, but R* will stay always on the top and close to my heart (Original vs fake).

Edited by mrwolf425
The Tracker
4 hours ago, mattsvids4u said:

Unfortunately, even in RDR2, all of the stagecoaches and carriages kept their main frame no matter what you did to them. You couldn't really completely crush or destroy one.

I mean, RDR2 is the only game when you can actually destroy a stagecoach :kekw:

Thomas Cavendish
5 hours ago, mattsvids4u said:

All I want in VI is this.

Posted (edited)

Another great thing about advanced destruction would be, that roll cage would be really useful, not just visual gimmick.

Edited by Kris194
Racecarlock

Have you guys played BeamNG drive? I have. And yeah, you're right, the physics are ridiculously fun to mess around with. It's great crashing cars in it. But there's something those videos don't show you.

Recovery: In beamng, you have 3 methods of essentially resetting your vehicle. You can reset it to a home position that's either the map default or one you choose later with a button combination. Resetting also repairs the vehicle. The other two modes are recovery modes. One resets your vehicle and gets rid of nearby debris or vehicles or, in the case of scenarios that forgot to disable it, simply dislodges your car from debris or another car, and rewinds time if you hold the button. The alternative recovery mode fixes your car and rewinds the position if you hold the button as well, but what it doesn't do is dislodge debris and other cars unless you remember to hold the button down to rewind.

Scenarios: The scenarios all have win and fail conditions and allow you to quickly retry the scenario.

So, why am I mentioning this? Well, in GTA VI, will you have either a recovery function or a retry button? Well, okay, you might have the retry button for missions, but what about free roam? It's all well and good to request the most realistic physics possible, and indeed beamNG offers some of the most realistic physics. But beamNG also has tools to quickly fix your car in an accident or indeed an intentional wreck so you can briskly get back to driving your car and then wrecking it again because wrecking is fun. Is GTA VI going to have those tools? Like, if you wreck your car, are you going to have a button available to quickly reset and repair it? I'm guessing not.

And this is the real pitfall of beamNG physics. The beamNG guys set their simulator up to make sure players can quickly fix their cars so they can wreck them again, or continue racing or drifting. GTA VI is probably not going to have that set up. Which means one single wreck ends your whole police chase. Every time. I know that "teh hardcorez" are absolutely fine with vehicle physics that will essentially result in a bust or a death every single time you crash, but most average players are going to get fed up in like 5 minutes. It would be more fun to intentionally crash cars, but imagine if you're on a mission and every single little crash screws over your whole car and makes you start from a checkpoint. Or, as some people would have it, from scratch. This means your driving would essentially have to be perfect in order to even play the game. Even getting to missions would be an ordeal, as every crash aside from a mild dent would make you need a whole new car.

I know there are some hardcore players who are still fine with this, and they'll spout the usual "Git gud" and "I'm tired of gamers being coddled (whatever the f*ck that means, it's a game, not boot camp for the army)" and other tired phrases, but we must remember that we're not the only GTA fans, and without a wide appeal, the game's not going to make as much money as it once did. The physics can't be too punishing, or the game's going to be impossible.

Posted (edited)
On 5/13/2021 at 1:18 AM, Thomas Cavendish said:

IMO the physics must be improved (back or similar to IV's) and we must be allowed to use the trunk to store weapons, tools, people, corpses, items.
I'm really waiting for these.

I'd actually prefer GTA IV's car physics. I wouldn't say they were worse in V, but for me much more preferable in IV. And yes, the trunk system is a must. The mechanic already exists in a slightly different form in RDR2 with satchels and lockers, so it would be foolish not to. I really also liked the limited gun aspect in RDR2, even though I thought I wouldn't. However I'm not sure how this would translate to a car as obviously you can't switch to a weapon in transit if it's in the trunk like you can from your horse. So a balance is needed I think.

Edited by DarkDayz
29 minutes ago, Racecarlock said:

Have you guys played BeamNG drive? I have. And yeah, you're right, the physics are ridiculously fun to mess around with. It's great crashing cars in it. But there's something those videos don't show you.

Recovery: In beamng, you have 3 methods of essentially resetting your vehicle. You can reset it to a home position that's either the map default or one you choose later with a button combination. Resetting also repairs the vehicle. The other two modes are recovery modes. One resets your vehicle and gets rid of nearby debris or vehicles or, in the case of scenarios that forgot to disable it, simply dislodges your car from debris or another car, and rewinds time if you hold the button. The alternative recovery mode fixes your car and rewinds the position if you hold the button as well, but what it doesn't do is dislodge debris and other cars unless you remember to hold the button down to rewind.

Scenarios: The scenarios all have win and fail conditions and allow you to quickly retry the scenario.

So, why am I mentioning this? Well, in GTA VI, will you have either a recovery function or a retry button? Well, okay, you might have the retry button for missions, but what about free roam? It's all well and good to request the most realistic physics possible, and indeed beamNG offers some of the most realistic physics. But beamNG also has tools to quickly fix your car in an accident or indeed an intentional wreck so you can briskly get back to driving your car and then wrecking it again because wrecking is fun. Is GTA VI going to have those tools? Like, if you wreck your car, are you going to have a button available to quickly reset and repair it? I'm guessing not.

And this is the real pitfall of beamNG physics. The beamNG guys set their simulator up to make sure players can quickly fix their cars so they can wreck them again, or continue racing or drifting. GTA VI is probably not going to have that set up. Which means one single wreck ends your whole police chase. Every time. I know that "teh hardcorez" are absolutely fine with vehicle physics that will essentially result in a bust or a death every single time you crash, but most average players are going to get fed up in like 5 minutes. It would be more fun to intentionally crash cars, but imagine if you're on a mission and every single little crash screws over your whole car and makes you start from a checkpoint. Or, as some people would have it, from scratch. This means your driving would essentially have to be perfect in order to even play the game. Even getting to missions would be an ordeal, as every crash aside from a mild dent would make you need a whole new car.

I know there are some hardcore players who are still fine with this, and they'll spout the usual "Git gud" and "I'm tired of gamers being coddled (whatever the f*ck that means, it's a game, not boot camp for the army)" and other tired phrases, but we must remember that we're not the only GTA fans, and without a wide appeal, the game's not going to make as much money as it once did. The physics can't be too punishing, or the game's going to be impossible.

That's why I mentioned, that it should be option but not the only option. If Rockstar would develop proper system for vehicle destruction then they can always scale it down but they can't scale it up.

V's driving got the advantage from the midnight club devs, the vehicle customization specially 

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, DarkDayz said:

I'd actually prefer GTA IV's car physics. I wouldn't say they were worse in V

V's driving was more arcade type , in IV the suspension was tooo realistic it felt like a yacht cruising simulator , the handling was okay but V's driving is more enjoyable , in max payne 3 R* did lowered the suspension for gta V and in final version of V we got more lowered version 

but yea the destruction level in V was decreased too

Edited by DeltaV20

Agree, but the driving in GTA V was odd, it feels like something is missing, couldn't feel the car or was disconnect from it.The GTA IV's driving physics+the damage model was alright but it was too much exaggerated in term of suspension. I think what R* should do in the next GTA is making the physic/damage model more authentic, but put a slider or switch into the option menu to choose to activate or deactivate it. In anyway the car driving style in GTA V wasn't too appealing, and they must do something about it. PERIOD.

Posted (edited)

One of the GTAV's handling issues is that every vehicle feels exactly the same, no matter if it's compact car or huge ass truck or bus, the only difference is length and speed. It's even worse when it comes to damage because if I hit a car with a truck and there is only small dent on that car or even not that then it gets really ridiculous. Driving aspect in GTA V is really, really watered down.

Edited by Kris194
  • Like 7

Exactly. Thank You Sir. There should be some contrast/diversity in driving style even between regular cars. Muscle cars will drive like mad machine with so much horsepower, that give you chill when on the straights and goosebumps on corners when you re trying to handle the back of the car / drifting. Ferrari/Porsche/BMW M4... will give you a feeling of satisfaction because they handle like charm on tarmac. Off-roads are heavy and they handle like dirt rally cars. Trucks are HEAVY and unstoppable when under speed. Bikes are agile and they lean like birds on corners... ... ... And please Guys Don't under estimate the influence of engine "sounds". The AUDIO guys is the half of the driving experience. And the behavior of the chasing camera.

• Like 2

Don't except "realistic" driving guys. Just don't...

Thomas Cavendish
5 hours ago, DarkDayz said:

I'd actually prefer GTA IV's car physics. I wouldn't say they were worse in V, but for me much more preferable in IV. And yes, the trunk system is a must. The mechanic already exists in a slightly different form in RDR2 with satchels and lockers, so it would be foolish not to. I really also liked the limited gun aspect in RDR2, even though I thought I wouldn't. However I'm not sure how this would translate to a car as obviously you can't switch to a weapon in transit if it's in the trunk like you can from your horse. So a balance is needed I think.

I imagine your car's trunk can store all your weapons and items, and like RDR if you are near and open it up you can choose whatever you want.

Ver a imagem de origem
But you can't carry all your weapons with you, obviously, like RDR.
You can choose some of them (like RDR) and carry it with you inside a bag.
You can leave the bag wherever you want (like the sadle in RDR) and choose some guns to carry.
Your bag stays there, and you can retrieve whenever you want.

Resultado de imagem para car trunk full or guns How to Find The Best Gun Range Bag for Every Mission - 5.11 Blog