3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Planes falling from the sky and crashing

Lioshenka

Lioshenka

So do you remember, when GTA SA was first released every other topic on these and all other forums were about random planes crashing and falling on the ground in the game (usually when you left an interior).

I haven't experienced that for probably over 10 years now, so just wanted to ask - does anyone else still experience that? Was it a hardware issue, and as computers got faster it fixed itself?

Another similar thing are the massive pile-ups on the motorways around the state, which also don't seem to happen to me any more. Could it be that it also was fixed with the introductions of faster computers? Or do you still have them?

The pile up usually occurs when there's something in front that's blocking the traffic. The cars behind come in at a high speed and results in a crash which usually end up with the AI exiting to fight or some other scripted "angry driver" algorithm.

You can probably try the Julius Thruway and stand in front while in another car. I also believe that this is worse at high FPS (if you're a PC player turn off the frame limiter to test). It's also possible for bikes to be left on the freeways because i assume they crashed due to very high velocity.

I don't know if some wonky behavior was fixed in later versions or if Silent Patch is to be blamed. There's also some more information on why/how this occurs in the GTA 3 era of games in an old thread i could find.

As for aircrafts, that's usually scripted in "country regions". If you're a PC player and have a saved replay that occurred in a country region, you have a chance of this occurring IMMEDIATELY after that replay has finished playing (at any region of the game).

I do not know if it's 100% reproducible or any methods of increasing the chances of that occuring but it seems as if country replays in particular yielded the most success for me. It is entirely possible that this aircraft script (to spawn a Rustler, Beagle, Cropduster etc) can occur after ANY replay but again that's 100% speculation on my part.

Edited by Robin3sk

Planes constantly hit into gant bridge, garver bridge, and Mount chilliad all the time. It's usually due to the AI's pathfinding.

Edited by sefus

GhettoJesus

I am pretty sure that airplanes are scripted to fly a certain distance above you and this can lead them to crash into trees or tall buildings.

K2yjoYK.png

Flymystical-DJ

During my last playthrough I failed a mission because a plane crash down on top of me.

Big_Smiley
On 5/9/2021 at 7:22 AM, Lioshenka said:

I haven't experienced that for probably over 10 years now, so just wanted to ask - does anyone else still experience that? Was it a hardware issue, and as computers got faster it fixed itself?

Planes constantly crash around the deep end cliffs of Mount Chilliad and pretty much on the whole mountain. Not a every day play through occurrence but happens quite often when you hear them coming followed by the explosions.

On 5/9/2021 at 7:22 AM, Lioshenka said:

Another similar thing are the massive pile-ups on the motorways around the state, which also don't seem to happen to me any more. Could it be that it also was fixed with the introductions of faster computers? Or do you still have them?

Yeah SA has a very unique type of traffic. It's the only gta in the entire series that has complete chaotic traffic not seen in another gta game. Literally cars constantly crashing, truck rigs flying in the mid air, explosions almost every second after "THAT ONE SINGLE CAR " that flipped over causing a massive chain reaction of explosions, Police shooting at pedestrians after a crash, Fire trucks and ambulances running over people after hearing gun shots along with vehicles hauling ass after hearing the shots, people running all over the place, getting run over and killed while the rest get blown up by exploding cars, other pedestrians killing each other with baseball bats, shovels, golf clubs after crashing in each other.

After having glitched gang members of both the Vagos and GSF gangs in LV highways made this three times as worse as you have rivals shooting at each other while the rest of the pedestrians freak out leading to massive chaotic sh*t that makes the freeways extremely dangerous for CJ himself to even stand for a couple of seconds without being run the hell over. Quite frankly in my  opinion SA has the most legendary traffic AI in the entire series, lmaoo. I assume your playing on PC? When I used to play SA on the original Xbox the traffic was just as bad as it was on the OG PS2. I don't recall R* updating SA entirely for the modern PC versions mabye that might be the case? Not sure. This horrendous traffic is still present on the HD remasters editions along with the PS2 emulation on PS4. This type of traffic is pretty much exclusive to SA in Itself. Not sure why you wouldn't be seeing it? You ever stand in the middle of LV's freeways for a minute? You'd have to see at least a couple of pile-ups followed by some random explosions, lol. 

Edited by Big_Smiley
*sh*t ass spelling*

SanFierroTriad

A beagle crashed into the streets in one of the rural towns when I played the other day. It didn't blow up until I got in and tried flying away

26 minutes ago, Big_Smiley said:

Not sure why you wouldn't be seeing it?

Haha, yes, I remember things that you described, the hovering lorries doing 90 degree turns at 60 mph were definitely a thing!

I'm a bit jealous of everyone here saying they get these glitches. I do get them, but definitely not as often as I used to. The reason I created this topic is because the other day a plane crashed while I was out and about in Back of Beyond, and that stroke me as unusual and brought back the memories. I see a lot of Beagles in the game, they just don't crash for some reason. But back in 2005-2006 it was such a common thing for me!

Big_Smiley
3 hours ago, Lioshenka said:

I do get them, but definitely not as often as I used to

Na man.....I must be the the jealous one. The sh*t AI traffic happens every single time....hear me out man....EVERY single time, smh. Even if CJ steps into the traffic ONCE on a very little step into the Highway out of know where..... *CRASH!!!* "YOU DRIVE LIKE A LIL BITCH"  followed by the constant crashing and explosions and the Fire trucks running CJ over. I once tried crossing all my GSF homies to the nearby burger shot all of them died by getting run over, Green in peace my homies :cry: But all spawned at the nearby block anyways so what the hell I'm already here at the burger shot. This is actually terrible and gets a kinda annoying on my end.

You have a bad ass pimped out firme Lowrider??? Forget about it because that sh*t is about to crash and blow up with other cars. Literally the only time when the highways are somewhat clear is when CJ has a high wanted level. I was starting to believe I had that notorious traffic bug that f*ckes up the highway traffic and everything else but that wasn't the case here at all (thankfully). Legit all it is, is just sh*t AI from the golden PS2 era. What version are you playing again? It's almost surprising the traffic on your end isn't as bad? The PS2 is just chaotic and the Xbox original from what I remember is just as bad. 

6 hours ago, Big_Smiley said:

What version are you playing again?

Whatever the original version was that came out for PC in 2005 - direct install from the DVD. I've been using the same version for years, except for a few years around 2010 when I installed that patch from R* that was supposed to fix a few issues including Catalina's missing dialogues, but didn't, so I never bothered with the patch with all of my consecutive installations.

Planes crashing or glitching inside buildings always occur when I'm in the desert trekking towards the airfield base safehouse, the Big Ear Satellite dish so I can steal the Sandking, or Las Venturas. There's the small town where a plane (Beagle probably) is literally glitching inside a home and blowing up, all I see is black smoke. I believe this is mostly likely a bug in script. 

Edited by ChebbyZ

Big_Smiley
8 hours ago, Lioshenka said:

Whatever the original version was that came out for PC in 2005 - direct install from the DVD. I've been using the same version for years, except for a few years around 2010 when I installed that patch from R* that was supposed to fix a few issues including Catalina's missing dialogues, but didn't, so I never bothered with the patch with all of my consecutive installations.

Meh I hear you. R* updating any bug issues hasn't been they're main priority ever since. The many versions of SA vary upon fixed things etc...Best being any downgrade from V.1 allowing mod support. I used to have my physical copy of SA on PC from a gift in the good 'ol days where I considered myself a PC gamer back then as CS 1.6 was my drug from 01' through around 2007 when CS source was still a thing to play withouy any mods which is when I returned to my PS2 version. I also had Doom 3 in my collection but my basic ass PC of the time could never run this motherf*cker of a beast game without fear of exploding, lmao.

Then IV was complete disaster when I played the PC version with a friend. Seeing as I still had my Ps2 original I've always just stuck with it. The PS2 sky feature skygfx has always looked very appealing which almost made go head on with another PC build up. But sh*t, prices don't always stay the same for a decent system that can run these kind of games. Not  referring to SA but any modern day game these days, V (if you still want to count that as modern, lol.)

I usually found this when near Madd Dog's crib, crashing into the old Vinewood sign there.

Internet Person

I used to play it on PS2. It didn't happen often, but it was awesome hearing those big explosions.