3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Are pc versions harder to play

RunrigFan

Growing up with GTA2 until San Andreas. I never knew how to play the PC counterparts only console versions. 

I did attempt to learn Vice City but couldn't get used to it.

Know W, A, S D but using mouse to look I could get the hang of it. 

It was mainly running I had an issue with. 

Are they harder or does it take time getting used to it

It's a question of getting used to. All major GTA releases I played were on PC with keyboard and mouse, I have a lot of difficulty playing with a controller. When looking at the versions themselves, at least controller users can have auto-aim, and depending on the game, analog controls.

• Like 2
RunrigFan

I can understand etc W, A, S, D. How do you effectively use the mouse when running

C for crouch

ctrl for punching. I not used the pc version much. Played a bit of Vice City, the driving was ok but kept crashing.

Any tip

I have never played any Grand Theft Auto game on a console, so for me it would be an awful chore.

Don't use CTRL for punching, use LMB and RMB (Left / Right Mouse Button) when it comes to punching and shooting.

You also use your mouse to rotate the camera, or to point the direction in which you want the character to go. So, if you want to go left, then point the camera in that direction.

• Like 2
CryptReaperDorian

I've played GTA VC and GTA SA on PC, and I find the default key mapping for those two games to be kind of bad. If you find a key to be hard to reach and/or remember, best to change it to something you'd find more convenient. Of course you sacrifice analog and pressure sensitive controls on PC, but I do find there to be some good advantages. Especially with GTA VC, anyways, which has terrible camera controls (or lack of them) on consoles. Not that it's great on PC either, with the camera always glued to Tommy's back.

RunrigFan
Posted (edited)

Im getting better. Kept  crashing car. when turning. Or I shoot someone and forgetting the key for next target.

Edited by RunrigFan

Personally, i've always remapped the controls in 3D era games to

LMB/RMB= Attack

MMB = Look behind on foot

Q & E = Look left and right in a vehicle

Shift = Sprint and Handbrake

Space = Jump 

H = Horn

F = Enter

, and . = Change radio station

WSAD = Movement 

• Like 1

Or you can use a controller on the PC versions too. 😛

• Like 2
  • YEE 1
Posted (edited)

Easier, especially GTA IV where they f*cked up the gunplay by removing bulletspread for keyboard & mouse (wtf R*)

Edited by B Dawg
  • Like 1

The difficulty is the same. Only difference is the control scheme. But honestly why play with an inferior WSAD setup when you can plug your xbox controller in and play?

I could never undestand people using WASD keys for moving. I mean, they are not even symmetrical?! Plus there's a whole bunch of other keys near them for those of us with sausage fingers, and added pressure applied right at the edge of the keyboard tips it over way too often.

I always re-define everything to how it was supposed to be, in line with how it was in GTA 2 and GTA 3 (if it ain't broken, why change it?).

Arrows for movement, Enter to enter/exit vehicle, Space to jump, right shift to sprint. Then you use the left mouse button for attack. The flying controls are much harder to fix, but I once you assign Numpad 4, 8, 6, 2 and WASD to their relevant flight only functions then the game is incredibly intuitive and easy. Shooting definitely becomes easier compared to the PS2 version, that's for sure!

Also looking around with the mouse is much easier on PC - make sure to set a medium sensitivity level and turn off the mouse vertical invert (which is ON for some reason by default).

It's insane how much easier it plays on mouse and keyboard. I remember the first couple weeks of GTA Online on PC there people were calling me a cheater because I was effortlessly sniping dudes out of buzzards and jets. Rockstar never implements any kind of bullet drop or recoil so it's basically point and kill. RDR2 in particular feels a million times less sluggish especially at 60 fps.

TheSantader25

Except for flying it isn't that different. Flying is harder on PC. You might have to tweak your flying controls for better experience. Rockstar's controls are sh*t.

The actual ports of the game is the problems for certain input and even how the games work. You need a lot of external patches/fixes for this - luckily Silent Patch covers if not most but the important issues.

If you don't enable the frame limiter or cap your FPS somehow in GTA:SA for example, there's a lot of game breaking bugs.

I believe that "proper controls" is an entirely subjective thing. There's "recommended settings", and honestly i think your flying controls are the ones that need the most tweaking. Again though, some people do just fine without the need for rebinding much settings.

Once you get these on pc, all it needs is right config, settings and some fixes by community to make the gta games work,

also includes GTA V well because I remove the bikini girl by modding, removing lens flare and chromatic abbreviation and

then its well optimized on dx10 only, crashes on dx11 after few mins.

Aquamaniac
On 5/6/2021 at 11:31 PM, RunrigFan said:

Growing up with GTA2 until San Andreas. I never knew how to play the PC counterparts only console versions. 

I did attempt to learn Vice City but couldn't get used to it.

Know W, A, S D but using mouse to look I could get the hang of it. 

It was mainly running I had an issue with. 

Are they harder or does it take time getting used to it

I used to be a PC player, generally aiming is much easier with a mouse, vehicle controls are easier with controllers. The PC versions might have no auto-aim which might make it more difficult, auto-aim aims on enemies I wouldn't even recognize yet in free aim, this only applies to GTA V, I completed GTA IV on console with free aim.

Or in other words, let a consoler player race against a PC player with keypad and mouse, the console player likely will win. In a deathmatch likely the PC player will win.

• 2 weeks later...
ChengizVlad09

I guess it depends on what you got used to. Playing both on PC and console(s) - Playstation - comes as natural as it gets to me, but the freedom of movement as well as precision that mouse and keyboard provide, are unmatched. Once you master that combo, controllers simply cannot achieve that level of control whether we talk about shooting, moving or driving, even despite the fact GTA games are always being made with controllers in mind, hence controllers always pack more features in comparison to MS & KB, eg; analog buttons that provide gradual steering, accelerating or braking.

Playing GTA on PC is the best option for me, probably because I'm playing on PC since childhood. Btw I got a PS4 too, I have GTA 5 for both PC and PS4, but I prefer playing on PC because I can do multiple actions, do them quickly, free camera anytime when in vehicle, shooting from driver seat with mouse beats the gamepad here, it's damn difficult, R* didn't even add at least small aim assist for it. But I must say, driving a car, flying a plane/helicopter, fighting with gamepad feels a bit better!

For me its easier. I have problems with gamepad.

Even planes are fun if you get used to control ten buttons at time and you are not braindead.

Posted (edited)

Ah, just remembered: Windows/game has a limit on how many buttons and which can be pressed at the same time. I think that I can only apply the foot brake while doing a clock-wise burnout, not counter-clock-wise.

Edited by Lioshenka
Posted (edited)

For the most part, I'm used to both playing on a keyboard & mouse and via a controller. Really it depends on which GTA game I'm playing.

GTA 4 and 5 for example, i used a controller while driving/flying since it's much better than using a keyboard imo but for everything else, i prefer the keyboard and mouse configuration especially during gun play.

For 3D games, i usually adjust the keyboard mapping a bit, again depending on the game. Usually regarding switching weapons and helicopter controls.

Edited by FalconKing
horsewithnoname
On 5/28/2021 at 11:54 AM, Lioshenka said:

Ah, just remembered: Windows/game has a limit on how many buttons and which can be pressed at the same time. I think that I can only apply the foot brake while doing a clock-wise burnout, not counter-clock-wise.

That depends on your hardware rather than software, if you have the right keyboard you can press more than 3 keys at once and surely do burnouts to both directions.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, horsewithnoname said:

That depends on your hardware rather than software, if you have the right keyboard you can press more than 3 keys at once and surely do burnouts to both directions.

Especially with "holding" phone calls for on-mission-zero setups in speedruns or casually playing.

It helps to have a mouse that has a lot more side buttons for those functions.

I have some keys that overlap to [ALT + TAB] which would throw me out of the game, and a proper gaming mouse would help out tremendously. :/

Edited by Robin3sk
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, horsewithnoname said:

I'd argue. Over the past 15 years I changes my operating systems, mouse, keyboard and computers; the problem persists.

It's not the number of keys either, actually, bad choice of words on my part: had no problems doing burnout and braking clockwise (e.g. with the let arrow key), but didn't work counterclockwise (right arrow key).

Now I can't do a burnout at all (car just sits there without spinning tyres or making noise) if I press up and down buttons, but I blame Windows 10 for that :p

Edited by Lioshenka
freddrich

I am playing pc version since my childhood and for me playing with console is lil bit harder. I have started playing on p.s from few couple of days. its easier to watch videos on youtube when you are stuck at a mission. Here i found a first mission video 

universetwisters

tbh its a lot easier to aim with a mouse, even though the console versions have auto aim. On PC, I can get headshots like an uber l33t cod kid

CasMusThai

Its Really Easy when you get used to it... When I was young, i played Vice City with the arrow keys and Now WASD is much more easy than arrows... The common thing is (left hand) middle finger controls W,S (Forward, Backward), Pointy Finger controls D (Right Movement), Ring finger for A meanwhile Pinky is kept on shift key for running (Change Your Key Mapping if you still didnt, Swap Run and Jump's Key) and my thumb on Space for jumping. Meanwhile Right hand is fully in control of the mouse