4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Lance Vance should have been the protagonist

Trianglekid12

Trianglekid12

I don't get why Lance wasn't the protagonist. He was actually cool, and while he was a bit goofy in VCS, he still cared for his brother and showed love to the other characters as well. Instead, we get a selfish prick for a protagonist who treated Lance like sh*t since the beginning of the storyline and doesn't care about anyone at all. Lance on the other hand was much nicer and caring for others. And cooler. So I think he should have been the protagonist instead.

MiamiViceCity1986

You seem to really have it on for Tommy? lol.

And sorry, but I disagree. Lance is ok, but the reason Tommy treats him like sh*t is he’s prone to f*cking up and would be a terrible choice for the type of game Vice City is.

I don’t mind protagonists who are caring, but I also don’t mind ruthless, business first type characters like Tommy either. Got to have diversity.

I mean yeah Tommy doesn’t really care about anyone (at least on a personal level), but I think that’s the point. He only wants one thing. To take over the city. Not make friends along the way. Then again back in 2002 the series was still in its infancy so no one really cared about the protagonists having close bonds with family/friends..

Edited by Algonquin Assassin

Was Lance rock a Hawaiian shirt like an absolute chad level cool? I think not. 

Was Lance sprints faster than Usain Bolt on steroids level cool? I think not. 

As for being more caring, did Tommy ever stab someone in the back? I think not. 

Idk man, Lance doesn't match up too good. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2021 at 6:10 AM, Trianglekid12 said:

Instead, we get a selfish prick for a protagonist who treated Lance like sh*t since the beginning of the storyline and doesn't care about anyone at all

Lol, this argument is everywhere, y'all really hate Tommy because he wasn't the most humane protagonist.

Putting humor aside, I don't really see what could make Lance the protagonist. Tommy has the businesses, assets, and the story mostly revolves around him. Meanwhile, Lance on the other hand, barely does any sh*t.

• Like 3
MiamiViceCity1986
Posted (edited)
On 5/8/2021 at 8:27 PM, OH76 said:

Lol, this argument is everywhere, y'all really hate Tommy because he wasn't the most humane protagonist.

Putting humor aside, I don't really see what could make Lance the protagonist. Tommy has the businesses, assets, and the story mostly revolves around him. Meanwhile, Lance on the other hand, barely does any sh*t.

Sometimes I think Tommy’s more “human” side is grossly overlooked. Maybe it’s not as obvious as say CJ, Niko, Johnny etc, but it’s still there.

When he purchase the printing press and reminisces about his father back in the day with Earnest Kelly I thought that was a nice touch. Obviously the writing is so more more powerful nowadays and we have protagonists that do horrible things and yet we still sympathise with them, but for back then even if it was only briefly it was nice to see a lighter side of Tommy.

Yes he’s a prick who puts business first ahead of family values and friends, but he’s not entirely rotten to the core. 

Edited by MiamiViceCity1986
1 minute ago, MiamiViceCity1986 said:

Sometimes I think Tommy’s more “human” side is grossly overlooked. Maybe it’s not as obvious as say CJ, Niko, Johnny etc, but it’s still there.

When he purchase the printing press and reminisces about his father back in the day with Earnest Kelly I thought that was a nice touch. Obviously the writing is so more more powerful nowadays and we have protagonists that do horrible things and yet we still sympathise with them, but for back then even if it was only briefly it was nice to to see a lighter side of Tommy.

Yes he’s a prick who puts business first ahead of family values and friends, but he’s not entirely rotten to the core. 

Yeah, also Tommy was sentenced to jail for fifteen years, so who will he care about after that?

Also, you're Algonquin Assassin, right? 

• Like 3
MiamiViceCity1986
2 minutes ago, OH76 said:

Yeah, also Tommy was sentenced to jail for fifteen years, so who will he care about after that?

Also, you're Algonquin Assassin, right? 

Yes. I’m the artist formerly known as Algonquin Assassin and a bunch of other usernames.😛

The Tracker
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, MiamiViceCity1986 said:

Yes. I’m the artist formerly known as Algonquin Assassin and a bunch of other usernames.😛

I wonder what happened to Son Of Liberty 🤔

Edited by The Tracker
  • Like 1
  • Best Bru 1
21 minutes ago, MiamiViceCity1986 said:

He only had two figures he was close to in VC imo, Lance and Earnest and he clearly cares for them, he views Earnest as a father figure and is ready to take down the men who attacked him business be damned, and he clearly viewed Lance as an equal and though Lance is insecure af he tries to placate him even saying something to the effect of if I mess up you(Lance) can be the first one to put me in my place iirc which he would not really say if he valued his business so much at the cost of his friends.

Thing is beyond these two Tommy doesnt really make friends, Ken Rosenberg felt more like a business associate though the ending of VC signifies the beginning of a great friendship but San Andreas kind of messed that up lmao ( I guess Ray Liotta and R* had some issues irl too), but yeah Tommys treatment of Ken and Kent Paul probably gives him that cold reputation but he lost 15 years of his life in prison and as a result he doesnt have the patience for their stupidity and though he is still amiable with them, when you earn his respect like Earnest and Lance (until the end) did, he does care about you and does show that softer side.

Trianglekid12
On 4/29/2021 at 5:57 AM, MiamiViceCity1986 said:

You seem to really have it on for Tommy? lol.

And sorry, but I disagree. Lance is ok, but the reason Tommy treats him like sh*t is he’s prone to f*cking up and would be a terrible choice for the type of game Vice City is.

I don’t mind protagonists who are caring, but I also don’t mind ruthless, business first type characters like Tommy either. Got to have diversity.

I mean yeah Tommy doesn’t really care about anyone (at least on a personal level), but I think that’s the point. He only wants one thing. To take over the city. Not make friends along the way. Then again back in 2002 the series was still in its infancy so no one really cared about the protagonists having close bonds with family/friends..

And that's what makes him the worst character ever! He treats everyone like sh*t! He's an asshole to Ken (just look how he treated Ken in the first cutscene of the final mission) and even ditched him in Las Venturas (and people say Tommy never backstabbed anyone lol). He's an asshole to everyone else, such as Paul, the Love Fist members, Hilary, Cam Jones, Phil, etc. He treated Lance like sh*t since the first time he met him despite Lance being friendly around him and treated him like sh*t in all the missions Lance was in after that. Him not caring is why he's the worst protagonist ever! He's a c*nt! And you have to be the biggest idiot to think he's any better than the other protagonists!

CarlJohnson92
On 5/11/2021 at 10:52 AM, The Tracker said:

I wonder what happened to Son Of Liberty 🤔

Yes this.

• YEE 1
MiamiViceCity1986
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Trianglekid12 said:

And that's what makes him the worst character ever! He treats everyone like sh*t! He's an asshole to Ken (just look how he treated Ken in the first cutscene of the final mission) and even ditched him in Las Venturas (and people say Tommy never backstabbed anyone lol). He's an asshole to everyone else, such as Paul, the Love Fist members, Hilary, Cam Jones, Phil, etc. He treated Lance like sh*t since the first time he met him despite Lance being friendly around him and treated him like sh*t in all the missions Lance was in after that. Him not caring is why he's the worst protagonist ever! He's a c*nt! And you have to be the biggest idiot to think he's any better than the other protagonists!

You’re entitled to your opinion of course, but jeez you’re acting like the guy murdered your entire family.

We’re still talking about a video game character right? With that sort of pent up aggression and hostility maybe you should step outside and take in some fresh air? I dunno *shrugs*. Tommy’s not there to make friends or care about what others think of him. After spending 15 years in prison it’s no wonder he has a short fuse so it makes sense for his character. He doesn’t trust anyone outside on his strict inner circle. Every protagonist deals with idiots, morons etc so it’s nothing new.

Anyway I’m also not sure of your last insult was directed at me in particular, but if was I still regard Niko as the best protagonist in the series with Tommy in a very close second, but I guess liking a character you don’t don’t makes someone an idiot.🙄

Edited by MiamiViceCity1986
  • Like 3