3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAGarage mod upload broken since 2017 or 2018

Go to solution Solved by Kalvin,

I remember in 2017 the site was broken already ("Virus found" false message no matter what you uploaded) - i posted about that here - but I noticed that now in 2021 the site still doesn't work

Now it gives this kind of error when you try to upload files to your mod:

Invalid query:
UPDATE garage_mods SET Mod_LastUpdate = 16xxxxxxxx, Mod_LastUpdateBkp = 16xxxxxxxx WHERE Mod_ID = 

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1

I don't think the mod site has worked since 2017 or 2018 at all! Because i can see most recent mods (with a successful file upload, so downloadable ones) are mostly from 2018

See this: https://www.gtagarage.com/mods/browse.php?C=30 as you can see, I didnt upload for years, and still im on page 1 (for most recent uploads) purely because no one else managed to update or upload new mods anymore, like it got broken shortly afterwards. So, after that other topic from 2017

So let me ask a question: why GTAGarage mod site was abandoned? It was never fixed? Can it be fixed now? What is stopping GTAForums staff from fixing it now? Just, why? Why this site doesn't matter anymore to the staff?

It would be nice if GTAGarage worked again. It is 100% broken! Except for downloading old mods.

from years ago

It's sad. It was always a nice alternative for GTAInside mod database.

Edited by Gmer
Posted (edited)

Ok so i was looking on page 3 of this topic: https://gtaforums.com/topic/763896-gtagarage-support/page/3/#comments and read that others saying it too: GTAGarage got abandoned, they dont care about it anymore. Still, no one from staff has ever replied there about the problem or tried to fix it, so why not raise this discussion in here now.

Can we get a statement from @Kalvin who is responsible for the site? Hey Kalvin, you're really dumping GTAGarage forever?

Edited by Gmer
  • Solution
Posted (edited)

I'm not the one responsible for the site. I was simply the moderator for a short while, approving submitted mods and handling user reports.

From what I last heard and understand of the situation, the site has been abandoned due to the code being very old & unstable - where fixing one bug creates a ripple effect of causing other ones to appear.

Because of that, now it's kept up mostly for archive and legacy reasons as maintenance-wise it's simply not worth the upkeep.

The original creator behind the code is no longer an active member, and any remaining staff for GTANet that have the skill/experience in JavaScript and what else have bigger things to focus on (such as the code-behind of GTAForums).

There were plans for a new GTAMods site to replace GTAGarage a few years ago from what I recall, however I believe there were certain unforeseen issues that put development to a halt, and I'm not sure where it's at now.

For now, the base site of GTAGarage at least works and you can download any past modifications uploaded there, so not all is lost but sadly that's what you'll have to put up with until any maintenance plans are put forward.
As you noted, there are other sites such as GTAInside and those that are available to upload and browse on, so for any of the latest modifications you'll have to check those out instead.

I'll leave any further comment or clarification to the administrators, if they have any to give.

Edited by Kalvin
40 minutes ago, Kalvin said:

I'm not the one responsible for the site. I was simply the moderator for a short while, approving submitted mods and handling user reports.

From what I last heard and understand of the situation, the site has been abandoned due to the code being very old & unstable - where fixing one bug creates a ripple effect of causing other ones to appear.

Because of that, now it's kept up mostly for archive and legacy reasons as maintenance-wise it's simply not worth the upkeep.

The original creator behind the code is no longer an active member, and any remaining staff for GTANet that have the skill/experience in JavaScript and what else have bigger things to focus on (such as the code-behind of GTAForums).

There were plans for a new GTAMods site to replace GTAGarage a few years ago from what I recall, however I believe there were certain unforeseen issues that put development to a halt, and I'm not sure where it's at now.

For now, the base site of GTAGarage at least works and you can download any past modifications uploaded there, so not all is lost but sadly that's what you'll have to put up with until any maintenance plans are put forward.
As you noted, there are other sites such as GTAInside and those that are available to upload and browse on, so for any of the latest modifications you'll have to check those out instead.

I'll leave any further comment or clarification to the administrators, if they have any to give.

Thanks, at least some information is there now. I can relate to that. Let's hope someone still sees a future in GTAgarage, otherwise ye i will make peace with it now that i know it wasn't just "forgotten about" but with reasons.

• 4 weeks later...
CarlJohnson92
On 4/25/2021 at 2:25 PM, Gmer said:

Thanks, at least some information is there now. I can relate to that. Let's hope someone still sees a future in GTAgarage, otherwise ye i will make peace with it now that i know it wasn't just "forgotten about" but with reasons.

You can post your mods on any of these sites. liberty city net, gta inside, gta all, moddb.