2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Flight school can suck my f*cking ass

sefus

(Pardon my french). But yes, till this day i haven't beaten san andreas because of this f*cking unfair, poorly designed, bullsh*ttery called "Flight school", every f*cking time, every f*cking time i either run out of time and get a bad score, or i land in a f*cking cavern on accident, i did all the tips on how to not f*ck up, i used the rudders, i used cheats, i used every conceivable f*cking method to pass this bullsh*t, but to no avail, supply lines is f*cking pisseasy compared to this becaues at least you aren't shackled down and forced to do it to finsih the game, but with flight school, you're f*cking forced to, it's on par with a f*cking dark souls boss, i can't for the life of me beat it, and it's f*cking ruined the game for me. 

3 minutes ago, Evil empire said:

Downlaod GTA savegame editor, give yourself all the gold medals in all the challenges except the one where you'll get the medal playing and you'll be fine.

I'm playing on PS4 :(

What are you struggling with in particular? Which tests?

1 hour ago, sefus said:

(Pardon my french). But yes, till this day i haven't beaten san andreas because of this f*cking unfair, poorly designed, bullsh*ttery called "Flight school", every f*cking time, every f*cking time i either run out of time and get a bad score, or i land in a f*cking cavern on accident, i did all the tips on how to not f*ck up, i used the rudders, i used cheats, i used every conceivable f*cking method to pass this bullsh*t, but to no avail, supply lines is f*cking pisseasy compared to this becaues at least you aren't shackled down and forced to do it to finsih the game, but with flight school, you're f*cking forced to, it's on par with a f*cking dark souls boss, i can't for the life of me beat it, and it's f*cking ruined the game for me. 

Wow, really? After all these years? It always takes me several times to beat it, but eventually I do. I'm probably one of the oldest cats here, so I'm not blessed with incredible hand speed.

45 minutes ago, Rhoda said:

What are you struggling with in particular? Which tests?

Destroy targets i don't know if i'm just retarded, or what, i can destroy the linerunners just fine, but the landstalkers are like shooting fish in a full pond i can't for the life of me hit them.

Edited by sefus
mistake

Right, so destroying the targets is daft. If you haven't already, switch to first person mode from the very start. You have no problems hitting the trucks stationary so do that first however you do it. It's a straight line, so a combination of rockets and machine guns should work fine. Immediately swing around and head towards the trucks. The good thing about the guns on the Hunter is you don't really have to aim, you just have to look in their general direction. Try to anticipate their path. I know that's easier said than done when they take a seemingly random path but stick on their tail or at the side. Don't use the rockets for this, use the machine guns. The rockets are less precise, but more powerful, capable of destroying targets in one hit. The machine guns take a little longer, but their range of impact is a little more forgiving.

I recommend first person mode because it's a little easier to see the centre of the screen and where your bullets actually go. If this is a little tricky (which it might be because the Hunter seems to swing all over the place in this view) try other close angles that give you a better view of your orientation and trajectory.

6 minutes ago, Rhoda said:

Right, so destroying the targets is daft. If you haven't already, switch to first person mode from the very start. You have no problems hitting the trucks stationary so do that first however you do it. It's a straight line, so a combination of rockets and machine guns should work fine. Immediately swing around and head towards the trucks. The good thing about the guns on the Hunter is you don't really have to aim, you just have to look in their general direction. Try to anticipate their path. I know that's easier said than done when they take a seemingly random path but stick on their tail or at the side. Don't use the rockets for this, use the machine guns. The rockets are less precise, but more powerful, capable of destroying targets in one hit. The machine guns take a little longer, but their range of impact is a little more forgiving.

I recommend first person mode because it's a little easier to see the centre of the screen and where your bullets actually go. If this is a little tricky (which it might be because the Hunter seems to swing all over the place in this view) try other close angles that give you a better view of your orientation and trajectory.

Targets destroy done due to sheer RNG, now i'm onto barrel roll....and now i realized why i never beat the game

I have no idea why my 11 year old self and modern self found this so difficult, i'm already on parachute, guess i'm just not a very challenge-like type 

Enabling the frame limiter is something that usually goes without saying, but it could assist with certain things like parachuting onto target if it just feels so imprecise when trying to stick the landing.

Driving school has worse tasks, in my opinion and a lot of them are exacerbated by playing without capping your frame-rate.

I really don't think I was the only player who took a whole day just to get a gold on the '90'.

I should also mention that having comfortable controls will assist tremendously during flight school missions if you have to do them in the future. I personally use LMB and RMB to steer up/down respectively (on PC).

This way, I usually won't have to let go of my mouse to use the default arrow key, which then causes me to not be able to change directions. 

Edited by Robin3sk

Frame limiter and control adjustment is only something you tend to think about on PC. If they're playing on PS4 (as confirmed) the only thing you can really do is change which button does what, which doesn't help a tremendous deal when it comes to challenges unless you're finding it particularly difficult to fly in the configuration you have. I'm glad you finished it at any rate, and I'm glad you passed the barrel roll too. For some reason, this gave me a bit of trouble many years ago. For some reason, I'd flick the plane around no problem but I'd always end up veering way off course or going to far over. The game would detect this and automatically fail me. I couldn't tell you what flipped and why I passed because I've never had an issue since.

Enjoy the rest of the game, it's a hoot.

I'll go ahead and lock this now because there are scores of discussion threads about how hard flight school is/what your least favourite part of the game might be, and this'll just turn into another one of those. Again, glad you conquered it.