3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

NEW THEMES! (Dark Mode & More) - Feedback

GTANet

Clearly some members are too young (at least of membership on GTAF) to remember the epicness of realistic steak :( 

Really liking the dark theme, good job with that!

• Realistic Steak! 1

Mr. Galloway

Loving the Nightshift mode. 🖤

• Realistic Steak! 1

That's another website to add to the list of websites where people make "dark theme good light theme bad" memes

• Realistic Steak! 1

I kinda miss the 2012 theme. Please bring it back so I can pretend I'm not old. 

Great move adding the realistic steak reaction, too. Gave me a chuckle 

Edited by LeakyLine
  • Realistic Steak! 2

On 4/15/2021 at 9:05 PM, Spider-Vice said:

We've discussed this, but we also don't want too many themes to maintain in case Invision decide to change something

That's totally understandable. So let's compromise, let's be sensible adults. Make the old San Andreas theme and call it a day. Gimme it.

GzcTSaG.jpg

It's a shame we actually can't get stats on how many users (guests included) are using what theme (might have to try and see if this info is stored somewhere in the database or if it's just a cookie - betting the latter), would be great to see who actually stuck with the ScotForums theme. :lol:

Which WILL be staying of course.

On 4/22/2021 at 3:30 PM, Spider-Vice said:

It's a shame we actually can't get stats on how many users (guests included) are using what theme (might have to try and see if this info is stored somewhere in the database or if it's just a cookie - betting the latter), would be great to see who actually stuck with the ScotForums theme. :lol:

Which WILL be staying of course.

Invision should add this feature TBH. Atleast in the admin panel. I know a few other softwares who have this in AdminCP even though it's not a sought after feature. For Invision the theme data should be stored in the user table (current theme). Would be fun to see who's using the Scot Forums theme. Either from guilt on the April Fools or just guilty pleasure as a whole.

Invision used to have a theme_id column in the sessions table, we have it as a result of previous IPB installs, but it's always 0 for all users so they just stopped tracking it at some point.

If the darkmode skin was slightly more brown it'd feel pretty close to the old NYC Connection skin from way back.

4 hours ago, WHAT!? said:

If the darkmode skin was slightly more brown it'd feel pretty close to the old NYC Connection skin from way back.

I think the NYC Skin colors would be a lot more preferable than the current darkmode colors. There have been requests time and again to bring back that skin. I think it would be nice if the Admins considered coloring the dark skin like the former one instead.

5 hours ago, WHAT!? said:

Or with a little dark red, it could be exactly like the former gta 2/afterfuture skin.

eg: https://i.imgur.com/DvkkgZ1.png

IndianaLiam1

Let it be known that I was here for the birthday bash. Also the darkmode reminds me of those old IGN forums lel

Scotforums theme all the way for me!

Thanks for the themes update, I am sure I'll be switching this about from time to time!

• Best Bru 1

• 2 weeks later...
LorshZontek

Lets go gamers, new themes even though i am almost a month late to the post. 

• 2 weeks later...

Reposting this here cause I realised I posted this on the wrong topic before, lol.

It's been more a than month so I thought I'd give out some feedback and ideas. Firstly this dark mode is awesome, I haven't used any other theme for a month and that says it all. But I also like the classic GTAF look, so why not improve the dark theme while also keeping the blueish color of the forums.

I think an Amoled dark mode of some sort will be great! Instead of being pitch black, though, I think it'd be great if the current blue color the forum uses is darkened, and I came up with this color below by picking the blue color forum currently uses (#244052) and choosing a darker shade of the same color.

cNM5GxO.png

This is just an example color btw, not suggesting this exact color should used. Maybe it should be even darker. Once again, great job on the current Dark theme!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

A nice soft blue, as a callback to the 2013 theme would be a nice option to have. It's already similar, but the subtle change would be a nice welcome addition.

Q6zSR56.pngjbhfhbp.png

• Like 3

On 4/25/2021 at 1:39 AM, WHAT!? said:

That was the idea, but didn't want to copy it 100%. Bringing it back along with the LCS theme is planned though. 

On 7/18/2021 at 6:43 PM, uNi said:

That was the idea, but didn't want to copy it 100%. Bringing it back along with the LCS theme is planned though. 

How difficult are these Themes to implement?

I got a few other ideas for Themes based on the classic games. All they'd really need is just the colour changing to match the old site. Which might have some issues and might not actually work well. But I thought it was a cool idea. I'll leave the examples in a spoiler box so it doesn't take up too much space.

Spoiler

GTA III - Blue & Grey?

zj1VbUn.png

GTA VICE CITY - Sky Blue & Pink

9jECNtX.png

GTA SAN ANDREAS - Orange & Brown, with a touch of Green

7Ifu4Nb.jpg

GTA IV - Grey & Black, maybe a splash of orange?

cNastNz.png

GTA V Brown & Green?

nPVM3H7.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/21/2021 at 1:59 PM, Len Lfc said:

How difficult are these Themes to implement?

I got a few other ideas for Themes based on the classic games. All they'd really need is just the colour changing to match the old site. Which might have some issues and might not actually work well. But I thought it was a cool idea. I'll leave the examples in a spoiler box so it doesn't take up too much space.

Hide contents

GTA III - Blue & Grey?

zj1VbUn.png

GTA VICE CITY - Sky Blue & Pink

9jECNtX.png

GTA SAN ANDREAS - Orange & Brown, with a touch of Green

7Ifu4Nb.jpg

GTA IV - Grey & Black, maybe a splash of orange?

cNastNz.png

GTA V Brown & Green?

nPVM3H7.jpg

Wow, we really need the Vice City theme during GTA VI pre-release hype.

• Like 2

Colour changes like we did with Night Mode aren't too difficult to implement, but styling changes are a big no no, and making the sites look like the old ones would be a herculean task, if not impossible, especially due to updates.

Case in point, our current theme isn't too complex, but it broke completely between Invision 4.4 and 4.5 which prompted us to have to "remake" it.

Here's a few points against adding a bunch more themes:

1. If Invision makes updates to the theme system themselves, or if we change something in one theme, we'd have to do it manually for each and every one, especially on the CSS part. 

2. Invision's theme upgrader sucks, to the point that styling changes made by themselves to incorporate new features weren't even synced into our custom themes properly. If we ever want to use some of their new features we're going to have to go dig into their original code and merge changes back into ours. 

In general, maintaining a bunch of themes isn't as automatic as it should be. Some things sync between them if we make those themes "children" of the main GTAF theme, but not everything, and that's when the pain starts if there's IPB updates or we make some specific change ourselves that we then need to repeat 30 times more. 

We definitely have plans for new themes as uNi said (an LCS styled one would be cool, or even a callback to Afterfuture) but we're likely not gonna add all kinds of GTA themes at least just yet. 

• Like 2

On 7/21/2021 at 10:57 AM, Spider-Vice said:

Colour changes like we did with Night Mode aren't too difficult to implement, but styling changes are a big no no

Yes, I was strictly speaking just changing the colours. We'd spoken about the old themes in the past.

On 7/21/2021 at 3:27 PM, Spider-Vice said:

Colour changes like we did with Night Mode aren't too difficult to implement

Hey just a suggestion, if it's possible, take a look at this suggestion, I think it would be nice ;)

On 5/20/2021 at 8:10 AM, Orthur said:

Reposting this here cause I realised I posted this on the wrong topic before, lol.

It's been more a than month so I thought I'd give out some feedback and ideas. Firstly this dark mode is awesome, I haven't used any other theme for a month and that says it all. But I also like the classic GTAF look, so why not improve the dark theme while also keeping the blueish color of the forums.

I think an Amoled dark mode of some sort will be great! Instead of being pitch black, though, I think it'd be great if the current blue color the forum uses is darkened, and I came up with this color below by picking the blue color forum currently uses (#244052) and choosing a darker shade of the same color.

cNM5GxO.png

This is just an example color btw, not suggesting this exact color should used. Maybe it should be even darker. Once again, great job on the current Dark theme!

How did I not know of this dark theme. Now I can feel like Batman while I browse. 

• KEKW 1