2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

The militarisation of GTA Online and its impact on future GTAs?

Aquamaniac

GTA Online has become somewhat of a weird merger of Need for Speed and Battlefield, I'm wondering how this will affect future GTAs? Can they go back to what GTA was and skip most of the military stuff without loosing too much players or will they continue their path until it's Battlefield with the option to drive a sports car?

Personally I like the military stuff (but I wouldn't miss it in favor for more car and racing related content) and it fits the setting with the large countryside, I can't imagine this stuff work in a Vice City or Liberty City setting though.

So what's your opinion on the matter, can (and should) Rockstar go a step back to more car and crime related content or has military content become are core of modern GTA with no way back? Or will story and online be split as it is with GTA V where the fancy stuff exists only in online, but story and online share one map.

I think GTA VI must reinvent itself to top GTA V and thus be very different from GTA V.

MiamiViceCity1986

Mostly speaking in regards to single player, but it needs to go back to its roots.

Never cared for the Merryweather crap in GTA V and I don’t play GTAO, but if GTA VI is in Vice City with parts of South America, Cuba, The Bahamas etc I can see it leaning heavily on the drug cartel theme like tv shows such as Narcos. I hope and want any paramilitary, private militia, military etc themes are kept to a bare minimum, but I wouldn’t be upset if it’s gone completely.

GTA V lost its focus and more relevant organisations like Mexican drug cartels were barely touched on. I don’t want to see GTA VI make the same mistake by appeasing to the COD/Battlefield demographic.

25 minutes ago, Algonquin Assassin said:

Never cared for the Merryweather crap in GTA V and I don’t play GTAO, but if GTA VI is in Vice City with parts of South America, Cuba, The Bahamas etc I can see it leaning heavily on the drug cartel theme like tv shows such as Narcos. I hope and want any paramilitary, private militia, military etc themes are kept to a bare minimum, but I wouldn’t be upset if it’s gone completely.

I am afraid they won't be able or they won't want to keep government themes out even with a drug cartel focus. Coast guards, CIA, DEA, some international organization against drug trafficking. Sadly I can see Rockstar heavily relying on them again.

I don't have a problem with a little bit of government work but I prefer the average corrupt cop like Ray over high-profile agents like Toreno, U.L. Paper, Hayes and the rest. I think the whole secret agent thing became too much of a cliche in GTA games. GTA should be way less militarized or it will end up like newer Saints Row games. Way too wacky (for my taste). Leave the militarization to other GTA-like sandbox games.

Edited by GhettoJesus
  • Like 3

GTA's main focus are drive by's and cop chases,they should focus on crime organizations,not some sci-fi CIA bs,i don't mind  game having some  jets and helis but don't make them a sheer amount.Most of those Militaristic content seekers are newcomers to GTA series with V  and don't know much about series' focus.

Jezus Holy Christ

GTA Online has changed the course of the series and there's no going back from here, but there's still a way they can deal with this if they intend to, and if they deem the SP fanbase (a very different demographic, with mostly older players) worthy:
Turn GTAO into a separate game (already happening), release map expansions for it (they tested the waters with Cayo Perico) so it'll eventually have multiple states to play in, with all the futuristic sh*t inside it. They can also finally officially rework it into a PEGI 12/ESRB Teen title.

SP games can be released as standalone one-off 18+/Rated-R games with smaller maps and each tell a story about just one part of the complete map that's available on GTAO, in different time periods. In this scenario, the SP games tell the history and GTAO is the present.

This way, GTAO can drift further away from the main series freely, and we might get a few more SP games before single player games completely fade away.

Edited by Jezus Holy Christ

Pros:

• We could see a more realistic military's behavior and responds to wanted level.

Cons:

• We have a GTA game that is more Battlefield/COD than GTA.
Lemoyne outlaw

i think how gta 5s singleplayer was fine. have a military base. where we can steal jets or tanks. and even have military characters. but other than that. nothing else. i was happy that gta 5 had a military base after gta 4 did not. but after gta online i do feel like they could tone it down a bit. so some military stuff is good. but not too much. i do want to see more gang and street themed stories again. but we should still be able to have fun with military stuff too. even carl johnson who was just a street gangster who never flew aircraft. could steal a vtol jet and jetpack.

20 hours ago, wise_man said:

We could see a more realistic military's behavior and responds to wanted level.

Militarization of the game does not necessarily mean this. This can be done without militarizing the game. I think the military in the games were fine so far. Sure they could be better but I think no one had huge issues with them.

Edited by GhettoJesus
On 4/17/2021 at 12:32 PM, wise_man said:

Pros:

• We could see a more realistic military's behavior and responds to wanted level.

Cons:

• We have a GTA game that is more Battlefield/COD than GTA.

That was not what I meant, actually in GTA Online we have become so strong that the police has become obsolete. We are government-approved warlords, would make more sense Merryweather were coming for us rather than mere cops.

However the militarisation of GTA Online already has its roots in singleplayer with the Merryweather related plot and stealing and fighting the military.

• Like 2

I feel like GTA has reached that point aesthetically where it's something of a weird cross between Watch Dogs and Fortnite with most of the grit early on in the HD Universe now completely removed so, as much as I hate saying it, it's unfortunately the course the series is taking at this point, since it's currently the most fool-proof and profitable one.

Edited by DownInThePMs
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
chainedwarhead9

I don't remeber what youtuber I heard this from but he was talking about how GTA Online could be split up into two different modes, Chaos including all the BS they add like broomsticks and laser guns and such and a classic mode that stays true to GTAs style of street level crime not some secret MIB agent with flying cars and such, that way they can please both crowds and make GTA online more enjoyable. Perhaps they can add in bonus for playing missions in classic mode? An incentive to leave behind all the "power weapons" ? Otherwise we will see the eventual decline of GTA from decent believable things into outright cashgrabs aimed towards children

On 4/30/2021 at 5:55 AM, chainedwarhead9 said:

I don't remeber what youtuber I heard this from but he was talking about how GTA Online could be split up into two different modes, Chaos including all the BS they add like broomsticks and laser guns and such and a classic mode that stays true to GTAs style of street level crime not some secret MIB agent with flying cars and such, that way they can please both crowds and make GTA online more enjoyable. Perhaps they can add in bonus for playing missions in classic mode? An incentive to leave behind all the "power weapons" ? Otherwise we will see the eventual decline of GTA from decent believable things into outright cashgrabs aimed towards children

At least give me sessions with PVP off, I'd be happy with that