2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Has anyone mapped out the vehicle spawn times?

Flymystical-DJ

Flymystical-DJ

So while going through the Export list with a guide I saw a lot of guides point to a specific location for an actual spawn and than point out that vehicle could spawn in other places naturally. The rarity and methods of those alternative spawns were varied but the consistent pattern I saw is that place, time,and even day could play a factor. Attempting to find these alternative spawns I noticed that my assumption seemingly checked out. I waited over an in game day to find a specific vehicle at the airport and it seemed like the types of cars I saw changed as time passed rather than every car being random.

So what's the deal? Does SA spawn cars this way? I couldn't find any hard evidence because every location guide just pointed to guaranteed spawns. And if cars to spawn this way is there a list of when and where the spawns occur?

As an example according to the guides expensive cars spawn more commonly during the weekend and at night. The type of car is dependant on the city.

Edited by Flymystical-DJ

1 hour ago, Flymystical-DJ said:

time,and even day could play a factor

Check out these plain text files in SA's DATA folder.

• popcycle.dat
  • cargrp.dat
  • pedgrp.dat

Yeah, that's true - Premiers tend to spawn in the southern part of San Fierro, and Stallions are very commony nearby the airport.

Flymystical-DJ
On 4/13/2021 at 4:11 PM, OrionSR said:

Check out these plain text files in SA's DATA folder.

• popcycle.dat
  • cargrp.dat
  • pedgrp.dat

I only have the game on PS2 :( are the spawns spelled out there?

On 4/13/2021 at 5:38 PM, Americana said:

Yeah, that's true - Premiers tend to spawn in the southern part of San Fierro, and Stallions are very commony nearby the airport.

Does this mean that someoen has compiled a list? I would love to complete as many Import/Export vehicles as I can while I'm in San Fierro.

5 hours ago, Flymystical-DJ said:

I only have the game on PS2

The files are present on PS2 as well, but you'll need a computer with a DVD drive to read them. The PC and PS2 files are probably identical, and PC versions can probably be found in online documentation. You shouldn't need to bootleg anything for these basic data files.

Even though all the information needed to map the traffic spawns is known, I doubt a map has actually been made. For starters, it would be a fairly complex map to account for different spawns on weekends and time of day, but mostly because this level of detailed knowledge doesn't really help you all that much. In the long run, the randomness of traffic spawns makes them an unreliably collection strategy. It helps to know where to look for difficult collections so you can grab things ahead of time and stash them in garages, but if a specific car is needed it's usually faster to drive across the whole map and back for a fixed car in a parked location than to rely on randomness to help you out.

TOD (time of day) does indeed affect the likelihood of certain vehicles spawning in designated areas where they usually spawn.

In speedruns, what PC players usually do is create a replay of those vehicles and then use that to try and increase the chances of the spawn.

They then usually do a death warp (wasted) to SF hospital then use the replay. The death warp is usually done to adjust the TOD and usually in the hospital area a lot of required vehicles spawn there (prompting the use of a saved replay). You can of course save the game to adjust time if you don't want to get wasted.

I don't know if anyone has any good information (accurate) on the exact TOD and all of the designated areas in some spreadsheet, it'll come in handy.

I made a video about replays and using them to "force" spawns. It's not in-depth but goes over using a few replays from Race Tournaments in particular. It can be done with any vehicle though (that normally spawns in traffic).

https://youtu.be/9rUTtsHcA_k

Edited by Robin3sk
extra info about TOD and Replays
  • Like 1

Flymystical-DJ
On 4/19/2021 at 5:43 AM, OrionSR said:

In the long run, the randomness of traffic spawns makes them an unreliably collection strategy. It helps to know where to look for difficult collections so you can grab things ahead of time and stash them in garages, but if a specific car is needed it's usually faster to drive across the whole map and back for a fixed car in a parked location than to rely on randomness to help you out.

Damn,what a shame. I honestly only want them because I hate leaving the area of the game in in story wise and this would be a fun way to get as much as I could.

I'll look into it and if it isn't too complex maybe I'll make a map for SF or something. Thanks for the info man.

3 hours ago, Flymystical-DJ said:

maybe I'll make a map for SF or something

If you want to make a map,... I have a practical suggestion. Cargrp will define which cars are in each group, and popcycle will define how the groups are mixed together for each zone type. What's missing is a map of the zone types. 

(Note that there is only room in memory for the first 23 cars in each group. The Euros and Phoenix are only included near the end of lists that are too long, which is why they never spawn as random traffic.)

There are a couple of save editors with zone tools that can display popcycle types. The Savegame Editor 3.x has a great tool, but the map is a bit small and doesn't include zone names. SASE v1.00, iirc, includes zone names and coordinates, but it doesn't seem to map my modified gang zones in SF correctly so I worry about this tool. These tools probably only work on PC saves, but I'd expect this data to be identical to PS2, just download something appropriate.

Zone Map by pdescobar This map includes the names for each zone, and could be adapted for this purpose. The usefulness of the zone names is that the names are used to assign the zone types in main.scm, the main script. I could explain how to configure Sanny Builder to decompile PS2's main.scm or just extract the information needed and post it somewhere. 

Added: If you're skilled with mapping software, check out info.zon for zone definitions.

Edited by OrionSR