2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

PS3 - Game crashing on first Trevor mission

Hi guys, I'm having an issue with the first Trevor mission (I think it's called "Mister Philips") on my PS3 version of GTA V. The game consistently crashes in exactly the same spot, it's during the first section where you have to drive to a location to kill some bikers ; just as I'm about to drive into that location, the game completely freezes. Tried it three times now, and each time had the exact same issue. Has anyone encountered this issue and knows whether there's a solution to get around this?

Edited by Komi
Just now, Mastah said:

Fail the mission 3 times, then skip to the next checkpoint.

Ah, I didn't know that was a feature. How is it possible to fail this section of the mission? Running away from your companions? There isn't anybody attacking me yet before the crash so I can't die easily.

horsewithnoname

You can try driving Trevor's car into Alamo Sea or blowing yourself up with the gas station pumps next to Trevor's trailer.

Just now, horsewithnoname said:

You can try driving Trevor's car into Alamo Sea or blowing yourself up with the gas station pumps next to Trevor's trailer.

I'll give it a shot.

Also, you can take a look at the game disc to see if it's dirty and try to clean it. Delete GTA V and reinstall it, maybe files got corrupted on HDD. In game take the long way around Alamo Sea to arrive from the opposite direction. If none of these help then yeah, skipping to the next checkpoint seems to be your only choice.

38 minutes ago, Mastah said:

Also, you can take a look at the game disc to see if it's dirty and try to clean it. Delete GTA V and reinstall it, maybe files got corrupted on HDD. In game take the long way around Alamo Sea to arrive from the opposite direction. If none of these help then yeah, skipping to the next checkpoint seems to be your only choice.

Thanks for the advice. Disk is brand new so doesn't seem to be that issue. I guess it's possible some files may have gotten corrupted, I had a heck of a time getting the thing installed initially, the install kept freezing. I'll try the methods you guys suggested and if the game continues to crash in other areas, I'll try a re-install.

16 hours ago, Komi said:

Thanks for the advice. Disk is brand new so doesn't seem to be that issue. I guess it's possible some files may have gotten corrupted, I had a heck of a time getting the thing installed initially, the install kept freezing. I'll try the methods you guys suggested and if the game continues to crash in other areas, I'll try a re-install.

Try to free up some space on your PS3

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, JaeDan 101 said:

Try to free up some space on your PS3

Thanks. I checked my storage space but it seems I have more than enough for what the game tells me it needs to install. I only have a handful of other games installed on my PS3.

On 4/10/2021 at 8:32 PM, Mastah said:

On 4/10/2021 at 7:46 PM, horsewithnoname said:

I tried the skip checkpoint method but unfortunately the game just froze when trying to load the next part of the mission. I also tried a re-install but now I have the problem I had when I first tried to install the game where it keeps freezing during the installation. I think there may be a problem with the disk, even though I ordered it in new condition and it doesn't have any noticeable marks. I'll try to get a replacement copy and see if that makes a difference. Thanks again for your help.

Edited by Komi
1 hour ago, Komi said:

Thanks. I checked my storage space but it seems I have more than enough for what the game tells me it needs to install. I only have a handful of other games installed on my PS3.

I tried the skip checkpoint method but unfortunately the game just froze when trying to load the next part of the mission. I also tried a re-install but now I have the problem I had when I first tried to install the game where it keeps freezing during the installation. I think there may be a problem with the disk, even though I ordered it in new condition and it doesn't have any noticeable marks. I'll try to get a replacement copy and see if that makes a difference. Thanks again for your help.

Clean the disk using a micro-fiber eyeglasses cloth, It's the best cloth for cleaning game discs. Make sure to make it CLEAN, no dust, no fingerprint and no stains and grimes. There is a thread here that says "Clean the the disc even if it's brand new".

Georges_563
On 4/10/2021 at 8:29 PM, Komi said:

Hi guys, I'm having an issue with the first Trevor mission (I think it's called "Mister Philips") on my PS3 version of GTA V. The game consistently crashes in exactly the same spot, it's during the first section where you have to drive to a location to kill some bikers ; just as I'm about to drive into that location, the game completely freezes. Tried it three times now, and each time had the exact same issue. Has anyone encountered this issue and knows whether there's a solution to get around this?

Hello so basically if it's not a game problem you should consider rebuilding your database for your console maybe some files are corrupted and they keep crashing your game so if you try following these steps to check if the problem consists your best bet is to contact R* support or uninstalling and reinstalling the game to double-check if your files are fine 

Steps: On PS3, restore file system and rebuild database: Turn off PS3. Hold the power button until it turns off again. Turn it on by holding the power button and wait for two quick beeps. Release the button and you will be in the recovery menu

And try these for the game

Edited by Georges_563