1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

Does reporting modders actually do anything?

I don't think it does anything 'straight away'.

I think what will happen when someone is reported, their name is flagged up and R* probably keep tabs on that user and either monitors their activity or will wait to see if they get different users reporting them.

The problem you have is R* need to make sure you're legit in reporting them. I'm not saying you're reporting random players for no reason, I myself am a legitimate player and while on a contact mission once I took cover and ate snacks to replenish my health. A spectator saw this and after the mission immediately accused me of cheating or using mods and threatened to report me. Obviously they were unaware that's not cheating in the slightest. My point is say that user did report me, R* would either look into it and see what it was I actually did, see if other players in another session reported me for other things and so on.

I was given some good advice once: Just because you don't see anything happening, doesn't mean nothing is happening.

Things just go on behind the scenes that you may not be aware of.

I also see it every few months where R* do a 'mass banning' event. Rather than ban individuals on a daily basis, they probably wait til the next ban even and ban a load of players then.

• Like 2

Yes, it does something. Their mod menu notifies them that they are being reported, and destroys the report before it reaches Rockstar. So, it's pointless.

Even if you take a video, they can be using a spoofed name, and you will be reporting an innocent player.

I don't understand why people still play this broken game.

• Like 3
suicidal_banana

Sadly because of the P2P structure of the game, in-game reports go trough their client for gathering additional data, but (like @AirWolf359 said) this means most cheaters can just see and block those reports from continuing too R*... A commonly suggested work-around is to report them for 'other' and type a short description, because apparently most of those menu's dont actually display the description of that report or consider it 'important' enough to block.

Video reports however still are very effective, since they 'carry more weight', if you forget the above (cheaters blocking ingame reports) for a second, you have to consider that it would take many in-game reports from multiple players for R* to 'be sure' that somebody is in fact cheating & then act on it, but it only takes 1 decent video report to get the same conclusion (i mean, its video evidence, how clear of a report can you get) so video reports end up being 'more powerful', the obvious downside is that you have to actually record a bit of video evidence, upload that to youtube, then write a ticket on the R* support site linking that video.

Also, since Airwolf mentions it, some of the more expensive cheat menu's can show fake player names, so if you want your video report to have effect, make sure to include these steps trough the menu:
pause menu - online - players - find the cheater & select - view profile
This will show their real R* social club account with their actual social club nickname

--------

Final note since misuse of these terms always bothers me, no offense:
- Cheaters: people that cheat in games (case in point, the people you come across in gta:o)
- Modders: people that make mods for games
- Hackers: people that break into other people's network hardware, computers, etc.

If you are not a cheater and don't use a menu to block reports, you will get something like this after you get enough reports in a short time

Spoiler

F6AAD3657ACADEEAA4C0177590056FFE672F5717

I would not be surprised if all the reports via support page work the same, just flagging players to reach that amount for iNsPeCtIoN. There is also proof that they don't watch videos you send them. (Unlisted videos don't get views). So generally it's just a waste of time..

Edited by ambi3nt
  • Like 3
Shiloh Comes

If the last time Arena Wars was on double is anything to go by, which was wall-to-wall invisible bodies and glitched heist bags, then the answer would have to be a big fat NO.

Add that to the amount of people with 10,000+ K/D ratios in public lobbies, and the amount of people with 1000+ levels without full stats, boats, aircraft and crew levels of sub 200, that NO just got even bigger.

dieseltech20

You are obviously on PC. No, they don’t do anything. 

You sound like a new player. If so, just save yourself the frustration and uninstall the game. If you really are dead set on playing buy a cheap Xbox One and play on it. 

• Like 1
ElectricNine
6 hours ago, AirWolf359 said:

Yes, it does something. Their mod menu notifies them that they are being reported, and destroys the report before it reaches Rockstar. So, it's pointless.

Even if you take a video, they can be using a spoofed name, and you will be reporting an innocent player.

I don't understand why people still play this broken game.

Is that really true?

5 hours ago, ambi3nt said:

If you are not a cheater and don't use a menu to block reports, you will get something like this after you get enough reports in a short time

Hide contents

F6AAD3657ACADEEAA4C0177590056FFE672F5717

I would not be surprised if all the reports via support page work the same, just flagging players to reach that amount for iNsPeCtIoN. There is also proof that they don't watch videos you send them. (Unlisted videos don't get views). So generally it's just a waste of time..

That's really depressing to hear. I've sent them quite a lot of reports that I recorded and uploaded to YouTube.

1 hour ago, dieseltech20 said:

You are obviously on PC. No, they don’t do anything. 

You sound like a new player. If so, just save yourself the frustration and uninstall the game. If you really are dead set on playing buy a cheap Xbox One and play on it. 

I've been playing for a long time on and off (level 264), but maybe it is time to uninstall. If what I'm reading here is true and Rockstar don't do anything about reports, there's really no point putting myself in such a toxic and cancerous environment. 

Thanks for all the replies guys!

dieseltech20

They don’t really care about PC. They got our money and plenty of people play it. They don’t care about griefs, exploits, etc. They treat menus the same as anything else.  Go after the free money parts only. 

• Like 2
suicidal_banana
7 hours ago, ambi3nt said:

There is also proof that they don't watch videos you send them. (Unlisted videos don't get views). So generally it's just a waste of time..

Speak for yourself, my 150 or so video reports (lol) are all unlisted but all have several views that aint me.

1 hour ago, dieseltech20 said:

They don’t really care about PC. They got our money and plenty of people play it. They don’t care about griefs, exploits, etc. They treat menus the same as anything else.  Go after the free money parts only. 

I disagree with most of that and B&M thread is here ;) 

1 hour ago, ElectricNine said:

If what I'm reading here is true and Rockstar don't do anything about reports, there's really no point putting myself in such a toxic and cancerous environment. 

Its not as bad as most of them think, people just got salty because at first glance R* appear to be quite lackluster about dealing with cheaters for several years now, points for @Sam2150AD for this piece of his post though, he's right:

8 hours ago, Sam2150AD said:

I was given some good advice once: Just because you don't see anything happening, doesn't mean nothing is happening.

Things just go on behind the scenes that you may not be aware of.

I also see it every few months where R* do a 'mass banning' event. Rather than ban individuals on a daily basis, they probably wait til the next ban even and ban a load of players then.

----

Bottom line is that its a 'fight' between cheaters and R* thats been going on for years, some weeks you can see 'spikes' in amount of cheaters, but then some other weeks there are bscly no cheaters at all, it keeps going back and forth like that, because R* keeps fixing stuff and doing banwaves but then cheaters find new ways to do the same stuff again (and then just buy a cheap account from some people that deal in epic games accounts or third world country keys..) Also worth mentioning is they sue cheat makers every few months (so actually 'taking out cheat developers') and there are fairly strong indications that they finally are building a proper anti-cheat for E&E.

My 2 cents if you're really that fed up with this whole back-n-forth, wait for the E&E release to be out for a month or so, then look around on these forums and other gta communties to see if they actually did add anti-cheat and if its effective.

Edited by suicidal_banana
  • Like 1