1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

How to avoid becoming toxic in GTA online?

FrancisMcReary

FrancisMcReary

It's the moment when you have it all. 

You have all there is to buy in the game, and you have it in all the locations you want, with all the upgrades you want. 
You have all the cars you want with all the upgrades you want and all the clothes you want. 

All the planes and all the Mk2 weapons and all the (special) (deployable) vehicles and all the research unlocked. 

I now roam around the map with enough passive income from my Arcade and Night Club and periodic sales from 
MC businesses that I have no real challenge anymore. Even have most of the in-game trophies/awards unlocked. 

I never did it, but its tempting to fly around my Akula and F up other peoples cargo and stuff. 
But so far I only helped others. But people act so rude... What can I do to make this community better 
before I turn into some toxic monster?

Since I achieved this much I'd like to play another few months at least profiting from all my works to get there. 
Eventually, GTA Online in the form it has today reaches an end. A good ride it is/was!

My first piece of advice on how not to a cu...toxic player, don't be a toxic player haha.

Recently I've been going on-call for other players on The Doomsday Heist, it seems to be abundent with other players needing help - it might be an idea to go and help them?

It all depends on what you want to be.

Another bit of advice, if I was like you and found myself getting bored, give it up. If it's not a particularly interesting event week, go and play a different game. Subnautica is taking up some of my time recently too.

• Like 4
SummerFreeze

Stop playing?

I agree with @Sam2150AD though, GTA Online always has a steady stream of new players who need help with heists, making money, etc.

If you want to f*ck others up, then go griefer hunting. Make sure they're actual griefers though, not just someone who killed another player twice in a row.

• Like 4

It's a guestion of character (you seem to be peacefull), the more overpowered vehicles I have, the less I feel inclined to go for other players. I'm tempted to play rooftop sniper though, but that requires some skill and can not to be compared with the use of overpowered vehicles.

The overpowered vehicles are quite usefull to prep heists quicker and become even richer and buy more overpowered vehicles. I have yet to complete Doomsday Heist and the Yacht missions and then I have seen everything in the game.

Edited by Aquamaniac
FrancisMcReary
Posted (edited)

Completely agree fellas :)
Maybe my whole topic was to write it off me. 

I am peaceful and never griefed even once. 
Always let myself be shot and don't fight back.
I take pride in the years long no griefing streak I guess. 

My stats even are maxed for everything for a hundred levels already. 
Strength is still below the first bar. 

I am in the winter days of playing. 
Now I have it all, will enjoy it for a while more but likely won't 
return untill the PS5-version comes out. 

It does bother me how rude people are in GTA online. 
But GTA forums is such a pleasant exception.

Edited by FrancisMcReary
  • Like 2
Black-Dragon96
5 hours ago, FrancisMcReary said:

I never did it, but its tempting to fly around my Akula and F up other peoples cargo and stuff.

Simple solution for that would be to go around lobbys, find people who do exactly that and piss in their cereal by stoping them from doing it.

You give in to the urge to just dish out but in a controlled way.

• Like 3
FrancisMcReary

Also, I will follow up on the advice to help others with Doomsday.
That's a great idea even, thank you for that.

I remember getting great help from an advanced player when I 

had to go through it. It finishes the Facility, gives you a trophy, 
many discounts for vehicles and it's quite a serious achievement. 

• Like 1

Honest to god it sounds like the best thing to do at that point is to simply stop playing this game and pick up a different one

• Like 3
Kiethblacklion

You could always find a friend or two and try to come up with fun little activities or challenges to do in private sessions.

My friend and I spent an evening helping each other get the stunt jump achievement. I'm going to work towards the fly under the bridge achievement soon.

Another friend likes to challenge my flying skills by trying to find the most difficult places to land or fly through/over/under.

Every game session, we end it with a police chase, we get to 5 stars and see if we can escape but we will use random vehicles around the map. One night we escaped using a golf cart in Sandy Shores, on more than one occassion we have used a city bus. 

There are lots of things to do in GTA Online to keep yourself busy and not be a griefer in Free Roam. Of course, if you don't want to do any of that, just don't turn the game on.

• Like 2

Stand on rooftops with the explosive sniper and shoot people off their oppressor 2’s. That’s what I do whilst on call for races.

• Like 2
Halal Cyborg
24 minutes ago, Big Molio said:

Stand on rooftops with the explosive sniper and shoot people off their oppressor 2’s. That’s what I do whilst on call for races.

But i was only popping out for a pint of milk 😢 

Shiloh Comes
On 4/7/2021 at 9:39 AM, FrancisMcReary said:

It's the moment when you have it all. 

Go and play with the Creator, make lots of tracks and jobs etc.

You can lose yoursef in there for weeks on end. Don't have to be fancy, even if you just make simple cruising circuits for your collection.

Why drive or fly around the map for nothing when you can drive around and get paid for it AND control the time, weather, traffic and cops?

Edited by Shiloh Comes
FrancisMcReary
19 minutes ago, Shiloh Comes said:

Go and play with the Creator, make lots of tracks and jobs etc.

You can lose yoursef in there for weeks on end. Don't have to be fancy, even if you just make simple cruising circuits for your collection.

Why drive or fly around the map for nothing when you can drive around and get paid for it AND control the time, weather, traffic and cops?

Brilliant!
Thanks! 😍

• Like 1
On 4/7/2021 at 10:19 AM, Black-Dragon96 said:

Simple solution for that would be to go around lobbys, find people who do exactly that and piss in their cereal by stoping them from doing it.

You give in to the urge to just dish out but in a controlled way.

This is me. I have sometimes-severe cravings to dish out violence, but there's satisfaction in choosing targets who deserve it rather than just random innocent players. In a full session, it doesn't usually take long to find the combat-roller hassling everyone in sight, the d-bag blowing up cargo and such, the tryhards running Stand Your Ground just to bait low levels into a spawn trap, the griefer in the jet or Mk II just pooping on random people every minute or two, etc. Some of these people (in my view) deserve it more than others, but they are basically all opting in for PvP, so why not give it to 'em?

I also hunt bounties. Feel like anyone with a bounty on them should know they are fair game. But I stick to a code as much as possible. This is my playstyle in a nutshell: today I hunted a bounty into the desert, realized he was doing a business supply mission, and managed to kill him but leave his supplies alone. As I was leaving, some other guy showed up and nuked his supplies, and I turned back around and fought that other guy for a while, allowing the MC prez to get on with his day. Now to him this probably just seemed like two assholes hassling him, but at least I felt like I wasn't the worst of the two assholes.

Edited by Nutduster
paperbagdude

Better off embracing the toxicity. It has never been the core of online gameplay, but it has developed into a fundamental baseline of the game today. People play by the book, and that book is toxic behavior and griefing. It's just what the game's culture has become, and playing in manners deviating from said culture won't do you any favors either.

SummerFreeze
1 hour ago, Nutduster said:

I also hunt bounties. Feel like anyone with a bounty on them should know they are fair game. But I stick to a code as much as possible. This is my playstyle in a nutshell: today I hunted a bounty into the desert, realized he was doing a business supply mission, and managed to kill him but leave his supplies alone. As I was leaving, some other guy showed up and nuked his supplies, and I turned back around and fought that other guy for a while, allowing the MC prez to get on with his day. Now to him this probably just seemed like two assholes hassling him, but at least I felt like I wasn't the worst of the two assholes.

To me, on a philosophical level, hunting bounties is essentially the same as destroying cargo. If a player survives the bounty, it's his or her money. The game encourages you to hunt bounties, just like it encourages you to destroy cargo. There is a difference in value of course.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, SummerFreeze said:

To me, on a philosophical level, hunting bounties is essentially the same as destroying cargo. If a player survives the bounty, it's his or her money. The game encourages you to hunt bounties, just like it encourages you to destroy cargo. There is a difference in value of course.

I think it's different in two main ways: 1) players have zero time or GTA $ invested in their own bounty. They didn't pay for a property or upgrades to it, they didn't start a mission. The bounty is a random gift from the GTA gods, in effect. So while I am "robbing" them of up to $9000 in potential earnings, they are losing absolutely nothing else. And 2) a bounty consists entirely of the PvP component, and absolutely nothing else. While you could argue that PvP is an essential part of the design of the businesses, there are fetch missions and NPCs to fight along the way; people (perhaps rightly) feel that they are earning their money whether you attack them or not. But a bounty is only earned by surviving attempts to take it.

In short, to me bounties are the purest PvP experience in GTA Online free roam, and always have been. That differentiates them from all the quasi-griefing crap that followed.

TheFroggmann
1 hour ago, SummerFreeze said:

If you feel this way then give them the money. That is what I usually do if the bounty is under level 200. Especially if it is a 9K. 

OP: Once you feel that you have done it all, earned it all and feel bored enough to go on killing sprees, you have 3 options:

Go on a killing spree. Yes, its a guilty pleasure. 

Become a "boyscout" help out lower levels, defend cargo, MC sales, etc. from greifers. 

Help lower levels earn money via heists, vip, mc etc. work.

Continue earning money for the next DLC. My main character/account is at over 430 Million. But even that gets tedious. 

Last but not least, and this is the path I took, create a second account. Trust me it is fun re-earning those stripes but then again I'm a grinder at heart. 

7 hours ago, SummerFreeze said:

I think you do people a favor when you kill when they have a bounty on them. They could do no CEO/MC work on public servers as long they have a bounty on them, so by killing them they are free to continue playing normal and somebody will kill them anyways. Being killed when I have a bounty I don't take personal and usually I see it coming and kill the guy at least once before he kills me. If people kill me for no reason I put a bounty on them because it nearly is the same as killing them myself (don't care about the k/d ratio).

I kill bounties just to give them the bounty money that was on them. It is doing them a favour.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Nutduster said:

This is me. I have sometimes-severe cravings to dish out violence, but there's satisfaction in choosing targets who deserve it rather than just random innocent players. In a full session, it doesn't usually take long to find the combat-roller hassling everyone in sight, the d-bag blowing up cargo and such, the tryhards running Stand Your Ground just to bait low levels into a spawn trap, the griefer in the jet or Mk II just pooping on random people every minute or two, etc. Some of these people (in my view) deserve it more than others, but they are basically all opting in for PvP, so why not give it to 'em?

I always have a look at the player list in session. If I see anybody with the white hair, ghosty-face and red eyes wearing a helmet or rebreather, they are having it. Especially if they have one of those stupid variants of a name with the letters V,R,X and K in it. You're right, they always start Stand Your Ground, so I go and mess with them, and get low levels to occupy the scoring zone whilst I obliterate the Stand Your Ground crew using the APC or something. So funny. Especially when they quit at the end of the job so nobody gets paid.

My favourite thing at the moment is trying to hit Oppressor 2 griefers mid-flight with the Kosatka's cruise missiles. I've had a few now, and it is the funniest shizz ever.

Edited by Big Molio
  • Like 3
SummerFreeze
2 hours ago, Big Molio said:

My favourite thing at the moment is trying to hit Oppressor 2 griefers mid-flight with the Kosatka's cruise missiles. I've had a few now, and it is the funniest shizz ever.

Great sport in America!

• KEKW 3

The fact is, if you have all the cars, properties, businesses and everything else and have become bored with the game, but still playing it, then you are addicted and have an addictive personality.

The problem isn't GTA - it's a great game with boundless possibilities - but you.

Would you watch the same movie hundreds of times until you're bored out of your wits? Maybe not and you'd move on to something else. The secret is to know when you're bored and move on instead of doggedly sitting there and doing it anyway out of stubbornness. Sometimes getting off your backside and doing something different is more difficult than it sounds, which is the problem I have always had, but sometimes you have to acknowledge to yourself that you're bored and it's time to move on. I know it seems patronizing, but there is no obligation to loyally devote thousands of hours to an activity when you are no longer enjoying it.

• Like 1

I'm in the same situation - already have everything I even remotely wanted and still have enough money for any future DLCs. So I'm mostly help other guys to earn money, lower level guys often struggle with missions which can be done in 5 min if you have right vehicle. Sometimes I hunt griefers or protect other guys sales. Or teach some toxic guys who kill me with no reason a lesson with RC tank : ) When I want challenge I accept invites for Doomsday difficult missions or find full lobby and sell Night Club goods in Speedo Custom. For some reason game model makes very unprofitable to work for others, so most people really appreciate when a high level guy with experience and right tools for the job work as an associate or MC member. Or doesn't demand high % in heists finales.   

I even thought about second account it would be interesting to start everything from zero with lots of experience. But I save it when I'll get completely tired of having everything : )

My main issue is not being able to get a good job. People either have options turned on/off that I don't/do want (I never play with custom off, I worked hard for my vehicles and custom off is so boring, as well as non-contact races) or it will be a job I don't want to do but it will launch before I can leave, so I'll have to wait for the game to load me back into a lobby and half of the time it will fail to connect. Not to mention most jobs/races are mostly empty.

Then when I am in a lobby, I'll be griefed by a modder who no one reports, so I'll leave the session only for the game to disconnect again. Then I'll reconnect and try and find a job again, and the process repeats itself over and over again. 

Then when I finally do get a good job with good settings etc, it will have someone trolling or I'm not using the vehicle I selected and confirmed.

It's a very VERY badly designed game in some areas, I still can't fathom the limited report feature. 

What I try and do is stick with the same group when I do finally get a good job. 

Edited by ElectricNine
22 hours ago, Jenkiiii said:

The fact is, if you have all the cars, properties, businesses and everything else and have become bored with the game, but still playing it, then you are addicted and have an addictive personality.

The problem isn't GTA - it's a great game with boundless possibilities - but you.

Would you watch the same movie hundreds of times until you're bored out of your wits? Maybe not and you'd move on to something else. The secret is to know when you're bored and move on instead of doggedly sitting there and doing it anyway out of stubbornness. Sometimes getting off your backside and doing something different is more difficult than it sounds, which is the problem I have always had, but sometimes you have to acknowledge to yourself that you're bored and it's time to move on. I know it seems patronizing, but there is no obligation to loyally devote thousands of hours to an activity when you are no longer enjoying it.

Well, I missed the enjoyment and was about to stop playing because of that. It's inverted; I was trying to re-invigorate. Wrecking other people's stuff is still fun, but I never did it because I know it's toxic. I'm glad about the discussions in this thread and the good ideas I received, but haven't been playing since and got less of a drive to do it ever since and now it's gone completely. Me and GTA are ex partners. You were 100% right but I'm far from sensitive to addiction on a personal, individual level.

Good post and the only right conclusion came from you. It's done and over. Because the problem may not have been addiction, it sure as hell was me. Sincerely, I appreciate your post.