1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

PS3 - Can this be played solo?

Is the online component of GTA V (on PS3) fleshed out enough that you can play it solo without other players? Or is there very little to do by yourself? I know it's obviously geared towards multiplayer, but if possible I'd be interested in playing it alone in a private lobby or LAN, assuming that was possible and there was enough to do by yourself in the GTA:Online world.

Edited by Komi
14 minutes ago, Komi said:

Is the online component of GTA V (on PS3) fleshed out enough that you can play it solo without other players? Or is there very little to do by yourself? I know it's obviously geared towards multiplayer, but if possible I'd be interested in playing it alone in a private lobby or LAN, assuming that was possible and there was enough to do by yourself in the GTA:Online world.

You should be able to play in Invite Only or Closed Friend lobbies. The only thing I'd say is be aware that people using cheats can probably still join your game anyway regardless of what type of session you're in. 

You can choose your lobby type via Grand Theft Auto V (singleplayer) or in the Content Creator:- press pause, navigate over to the "ONLINE" tab, choose "Play GTA Online" and then you should be able to choose the lobby type there. "Go" will simply put you in the next available public session or try to put you in a public session that one of your friends is already in.

You can't change your lobby type directly from an Online session because, well, dumb game / UI design. Let's hope that will change with the Expanded & Enhanced version of the game later this year. 

Edited by Gaffa
  • Like 2
Just now, Gaffa said:

You should be able to play in Invite Only or Closed Friend lobbies. The only thing I'd say is be aware that people using cheats can probably still join your game anyway regardless of what type of session you're in. 

You can choose your lobby type via Grand Theft Auto V (singleplayer) or in the Content Creator:- press pause, navigate over to the "ONLINE" tab, choose "Play GTA Online" and then you should be able to choose the lobby type there. "Go" will simply put you in the next available public session or try to put you in a public session that one of your friends is already in.

You can't change your lobby type directly from an Online session because, well, dumb game / UI design. Let's hope that will change with the Expanded & Enhanced version of the game later this year. 

Thanks. So assuming I went into an Invite Only / Closed lobby, would the activities there still be playable with just one player? Are there enough NPCs to interact with?

5 hours ago, Komi said:

Thanks. So assuming I went into an Invite Only / Closed lobby, would the activities there still be playable with just one player? Are there enough NPCs to interact with?

The open world environment of Grand Theft Auto in a nutshell shouldn't generally have anything "taken away from it" when you're on your own - there might be less of an atmosphere per se because you won't see random cops flying around responding to a madman with a Minigun, you won't have people randomly trying to drive-by you or whatever, but the overall world will still be the same. 

There are enough NPCs to interact with for the most part. 

Some things like certain contact missions, deathmatches, adversary modes, heists and others will require one or two extra players with you before you can even launch those specific things but for the most part you should be able to get by solo. 

Good luck. 

12 hours ago, Komi said:

You can do missions on your own, other than that there is less to do than in singleplayer. Why would you play it alone? On old gen Online has no exclusive content compared to singleplayer, except maybe the Kuruma.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Gaffa said:

-snip-

Thanks very much for your help. That's good to hear.

12 minutes ago, Aquamaniac said:

Why would you play it alone?

Because GTA:Online seems to provide a bit more freedom than the story mode when it comes to customising your player character and freeroaming in general. I like the idea of just creating my own player and then being let loose in the game world with everything available to me, rather than having to play through story missions to unlock things while sticking with a specific pre-made character that can't do things like purchase extra safehouses or do certain jobs that are locked to another pre-made character, which seems to be the case in the story mode.

Edited by Komi
2 hours ago, Komi said:

Thanks very much for your help. That's good to hear.

Because GTA:Online seems to provide a bit more freedom than the story mode when it comes to customising your player character and freeroaming in general. I like the idea of just creating my own player and then being let loose in the game world with everything available to me, rather than having to play through story missions to unlock things while sticking with a specific pre-made character that can't do things like purchase extra safehouses or do certain jobs that are locked to another pre-made character, which seems to be the case in the story mode.

You might give Saints Row a try, this is meant serious. There are level locks in GTAO and some vehicles you have to unlock through heists which need other players. PS4 is another story but online alone on old gen is pointless, there is nothing in free roam that wouldn't be in singleplayer. If you like character customisation go for Saints Row, Saints Row 2 is my favorite title of the franchise.