2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

About the Spanish language option in 3D era GTA games

I would like to ask the Spanish speakers here about the quality of the built-in Spanish subtitles in GTA III, VC and SA. Are they grammatically correct, do they contain typos, do the subtitles match what the characters say? I am purely asking because I thought this would be a neat little addition to my language learning materials.

Like all aspects of the games that Rockstar makes, the subtitles are also very well done, I guess in all the languages that make them too

One of the things that I noticed in RDR2 and that surprised me was that having the amount of texts that there were (letters, descriptions of objects, newspaper articles, the dialogues obviously,...) were all translated with such care, in all GTAs and the rest of the games are the same, they are very well done

• Like 2
  • excuseme 1
2 minutes ago, PacVCF10 said:

Like all aspects of the games that Rockstar makes, the subtitles are also very well done, I guess in all the languages that make them too

One of the things that I noticed in RDR2 and that surprised me was that having the amount of texts that there were (letters, descriptions of objects, newspaper articles, the dialogues obviously,...) were all translated with such care, in all GTAs and the rest of the games are the same, they are very well done

Thanks. Time to replay the trilogy then.

• Like 2
LeatherJacketSoldier
22 hours ago, GhettoJesus said:

the quality of the built-in Spanish subtitles

I'm currently working on a re-translation from english to Latin-spanish for GTA SA, since most of hispanic Latin-Americans dislike Spain spanish expressions. And throughout my "job", I found out the spanish translators made a f*cking mess from the game, though some dialogues are funnier than in the english version, most of them are crap and/or are ruined by expressions that ONLY people from Spain use, so I strongly recommend waiting a few months until my translation is ready and learn spanish by other means in the meanwhile (songs, movies, and so on). I first played them in spanish, and playing after in english enhanced my liking for these games to an unbelievable level.

• 1 month later...
On 4/1/2021 at 8:31 PM, PacVCF10 said:

true, although you miss out on all the radio and pedestrian dialogue if you don't understand english, none of that is translated in any Rockstar game AFAIK. The subtitles for the missions are accurate, but nothing beats the original version, I'm actually really glad Rockstar doesn't dub their games, it helped me learn english while having fun.

• Like 3
Posted (edited)
On 4/2/2021 at 5:51 PM, LeatherJacketSoldier said:

ruined by expressions that ONLY people from Spain use

That's not a bad translation though. Just means you are not speaking proper Spanish.

Edited by Lioshenka
billiejoearmstrong8
48 minutes ago, Lioshenka said:

That's not a bad translation though. Just means you are not speaking proper Spanish.

It's no less "proper", it's just a different version similar to British English/American English. But yeah there's nothing wrong with Spanish translations being in European Spanish. 

On 4/2/2021 at 5:51 PM, LeatherJacketSoldier said:

I'm currently working on a re-translation from english to Latin-spanish for GTA SA, since most of hispanic Latin-Americans dislike Spain spanish expressions. And throughout my "job", I found out the spanish translators made a f*cking mess from the game, though some dialogues are funnier than in the english version, most of them are crap and/or are ruined by expressions that ONLY people from Spain use, so I strongly recommend waiting a few months until my translation is ready and learn spanish by other means in the meanwhile (songs, movies, and so on). I first played them in spanish, and playing after in english enhanced my liking for these games to an unbelievable level.

Why assume they'd want to learn a Latin American version of Spanish and not European Spanish? They live in Europe so they'd probably prefer the latter. 

• 2 weeks later...
LeatherJacketSoldier
On 5/27/2021 at 2:25 PM, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

Why assume they'd want to learn a Latin American version of Spanish and not European Spanish?

Latin American spanish is far more spoken worldwide than Spain spanish. Wanna prove I'm wrong? Just mention only one country that speaks Spain spanish aside from Spain. If you do, I'll say you're right and I'll stop bothering with this matter.

Edited by LeatherJacketSoldier
On 4/2/2021 at 9:51 AM, LeatherJacketSoldier said:

Yeah, I think R* assumed that the series would never catch on in Latin America and stuck to catering to the gaming crowd in Spain. Of course this was before gaming really blew up in the region, but still.

1 hour ago, LeatherJacketSoldier said:

Latin American spanish is far more spoken worldwide than Spain spanish. Wanna prove I'm wrong? Just mention only one country that speaks Spain spanish aside from Spain. If you do, I'll say you're right and I'll stop bothering with this matter.

But I am learning Euro Spanish so it doesn't really matter. You can stop fighting over it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LeatherJacketSoldier said:

Latin America has many dialects too.

Let's not exclude our friends in the Equatorial Guinea either!

20 hours ago, LeatherJacketSoldier said:

Of course, it's just that generally in Europe you learn European Spanish (unless you had particular plans to move to a Latin American country). Just saying there's nothing wrong with European Spanish is all.  

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8
3 hours ago, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

Of course, it's just that generally in Europe you learn European Spanish (unless you had particular plans to move to a Latin American country). Just saying there's nothing wrong with European Spanish is all.  

No, but most Latin dialects don't use "vosotros" as an example, which is just really awkward to use in LatAm (unless you're speaking something like the Honduran vernacular or something).

10 hours ago, CynicalMexican said:

No, but most Latin dialects don't use "vosotros" as an example, which is just really awkward to use in LatAm (unless you're speaking something like the Honduran vernacular or something).

I'm just saying all versions of Spanish are cool. I'm sure there's words/phrases from Spain that sound awkward in Latin America and vice versa but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with learning European Spanish. I think doing a Latin Spanish translation for SA is great btw, just saying the European Spanish one is fine for those who speak or are leaning European Spanish. 

• Like 1