1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

What is the best approach for grinding the Cayo Perico Heist?

The best approach is always the one you enjoy the most, same as anything in GTA. But mine, for what it's worth, is based on taking an hour to scope, set up and execute and I took hundreds of millions until I retired. Sorry it's so long but you want details right? Use Mk2 for preps. You can land it on the front of the sub and providing it's level you get a couple of minutes before it slips into the sea.

Initial Intel of Cayo Perico

Ensure you have the Main Dock and Drainage Tunnel on your scope list.

Crew

Always solo. Guards spawn on different routes and timings with more than one person and it puts everything out of sync.

Scope

You can blast all the guards guarding the plane with missiles apart from the ones right next to it as that risks smoking the plane halfway to the checkpoint.

It can take one hit usually, but why risk it, just land and snipe the others then fly to the checkpoint then spawn on the Cayo runway.

Run to the coast on the big hangar side of the runway, because the most boats spawn there, swim in front of a boat, steal it, drive it to the Main Dock and beach it.

Go into first person for "easy-run" go past the watertower, across the road, through the jungle ditch and up to the Comms Tower.

Scope the Basement for the Primary, and check if there are 2 paintings in the main office. Skip the rest.

Jump off the tower and die, respawn at the airport and head back to town.

Setup

Ignore disruption setups

Marksman loadout or similar, anything you can zoom scope for easier headshots. Blow up helicopter if you get Merryweather HQ and wait for the office roof

Get Longfin. Pick it up with the truck, drive out of the police station, jump out the truck and eat a grenade to lose wanted, get back in the truck then deliver.

Cutting tool for the gates. Ignore demo charges.

Safe Code or Plasma Cutter, depending on Primary location.

Fingerprint Cloner.

Forget all cameras and all guards on all setups, just go in blasting or waste them all with the MK2 on approach and use to getaway. Assault Shotgun is your friend.

Heist Config

Longfin.

Marksman.

Drainage Tunnel

Main Dock arrival and exit, doesn't matter you are swimming away.

Day

Suppressor

Heist

If you got 2 paintings in the main office, which is rare, you can skip the Airport steps as your lootbag will be filled at the compound. Otherwise -

You will spawn heading to the Main Dock. Immediately turn left and head for the Airport, specifically the bit of coast next to the Power Station.

Park between the coast and the small rock sticking out of the water, stops the boat drifting away.

Run to cover at the left corner of the wall. Wait until the guard is level with the power station gate. Put him down. Sooner than that and the camera sees the body.

Open Power Station gate, flip both switches. One ahead, other to the left. Cameras and power now off. Sprint to the right when going out of the gates.

Run straight to the wall of the compound opposite containing the shed with the secondary tables and jump over it.

Run straight past the shed to the staircase and headshot the guard facing away from you before he turns around and patrols back towards the shed.

If you don't put him down he will detect you as you take the loot.

Back to the shed and empty the tables.

Back over the wall, its low enough in the corner by the building to get up and over

Across the runway, keep an eye out for the patrolling WInky, doesn't really get close enough to be a problem unless you run straight at it.

Put the guard down on the runway and go into the shed

Cut the gates and empty the tables. If you still have room, do the forklift thing and get the other tables upstairs.

Nearly every time you will now have a full lootbag. If you don't, you can make a stop at the Main Dock shed but I just accept it and move on for 30 poxy grand.

Back to Longfin and drive all the way to the Drainage Tunnel.

Once inside the compound, equip rifle and head to the right (as you look out to sea) and then up the stairs.

Run to level with the archway to the right.

Headshot the guard on the right, then empty the rest of the clip staightaway into the other guy.

Do it this way because sometimes the guards can fall to the right and out of your line of fire and you will get detected. This way is safer and rarely goes wrong.

Run around the corner to the right, through the arch and then up the stairs to the left.

Wait at the corner of the building, by the grapple hook bit and look down the corridor between the wall and building.

Wait for the guard to walk out into the open and clap him.

Run round to the right then to the panther cages, you will see another guard on his route either stopped or moving away from you. Put him down.

Run to the Brioso 300 and look right, through the gate. The guard will just be getting staionary, headshot him through the bars, be careful not to hit the bars.

Jump over the hedge, turn right, over the next hedge and wall, then up the stairs to the right. This dead guard will sometimes have the gate keys.

Head right, towards the arch and gate, but go left around the building before reaching the arch and headshot the stationary guard with his back to you.

He will also sometimes have the gate keys.

Up the stairs, around one corner, then around the next corner, then stop. Wait for guard and clap him. You are now at the office.

Empty the safe on the wall, get paintings if they were both there, then do the fingerprints, then the basement Primary, then come back up to the office.

Leave the way you came, running back down all the stairs, ignore the guards they can't see you.

When you get to the bottom, if you got the gate keys, head left, open the gate and then turn right. Headshot guard and go to the exit.

If you didn't get the gate keys, turn right at the bottom of the stairs, then left up the stairs, through the garden, headshot the guard by the car, then to the exit.

You don't actually have to kill him, you can just hug the wall and avoid him and get to the exit, but I put him down. I heard he's a dick.

Once outside, run to the right, around the compound until you get to the coast to the left of the last building, jump down the cliffs, go into first person for "easy-swim" and swim away. There used to be lots of boats there you could steal, but in the few times I've done it since they updated it I've seen none, so I assume they've been de-spawned. You can still get away inside 15 minutes if you didn't dick about too much or have to use the forklift.

I make no claims that this is the best way, or anything else, it's just how I do it, how I enjoy it, and how I find it the most effortless for grinding. Cheers.

Edited by Shiloh Comes
On 4/6/2021 at 8:07 PM, Jamwes said:

Patrol Boat has entered the chat.

There is actually a worse approach, using the Kosatka as enty vehicle when you don't have scoped out the drainage tunnel, so the team starts in the open sea and has to swim at land, if have seen this not so rarely when I joined random CP heists.

On 4/9/2021 at 2:12 PM, BeatsDown said:

Cameras do spot dead bodies.

Yes but my guestion was, do guards spot destroyed cameras? Am I right, that guards ignore dead bodies?

10 minutes ago, Aquamaniac said:

Yes but my guestion was, do guards spot destroyed cameras? Am I right, that guards ignore dead bodies?

Only cameras spot dead bodies. Guards don't spot destroyed cameras.

1 hour ago, Aquamaniac said:

There is actually a worse approach, using the Kosatka as enty vehicle when you don't have scoped out the drainage tunnel, so the team starts in the open sea and has to swim at land, if have seen this not so rarely when I joined random CP heists.

yikes!

good thing you'd all have scuba gear you'd run out of rebreathers before you hit land

The sub approach using not-the-tunnel isn't that bad, and is a good flexible compromise if you're not sure whether you're gonna go solo (dock or airfield) or crewed up (tunnel). I prefer it to the Longfin purely for the setup.

• Like 1
Super Grunt 281
On 4/6/2021 at 11:12 AM, Gridl0k said:

I go left and forward to the Bridge, throwing stickies in the 2 blind rooms on the way. If it's not there go back to the entrance and down the ladderin the rebreather room, minimises the fighting.

The stone hatchet doesn't work in the submarine ?

5 hours ago, Super Grunt 281 said:

The stone hatchet doesn't work in the submarine ?

I tried it once and it kept running out on the long empty bits, so I save that for the weapons. I don't like to f*ck about on the sub prep because the respawn is a pain in the ass.

• Like 2
On 4/11/2021 at 10:10 PM, Gridl0k said:

The sub approach using not-the-tunnel isn't that bad, and is a good flexible compromise if you're not sure whether you're gonna go solo (dock or airfield) or crewed up (tunnel). I prefer it to the Longfin purely for the setup.

i thought if you used the sub you had to go through the tunnel?

5 hours ago, cybapete said:

Main dock, west beach (basically the same), north dock and drainage tunnel.

Edited by Gridl0k
6 hours ago, cybapete said:

I noticed that a lot of people use the submarine who have not scoped out the drainage entry. The Stealth Annihilator only unlocks when you scoped out one of the landing zones. I think it's stupid that the main dock does not automatically unlock, you can't miss it at the scopeouts and in the submarine we have a map of the island.

12 minutes ago, Aquamaniac said:

I noticed that a lot of people use the submarine who have not scoped out the drainage entry. 

Day 1 I took a photo of every f*cking drainage tunnel on the island, and there's a lot, inland as well as round the coast. But I missed the actual drainage tunnel scope because a) it's underwater and b) it's not a send to pavlov, you have to go there and trigger it. So I understand this (somewhat, I mean, they have youtube now and I didn't).

A lot of people have given their own approaches - and hopefully the OP has done the heist at least once by now.

My own approach tends to be entry via the Kosatka & drainage tunnel and exiting via swimming (Grab the bike from the guy outside the compound and drive it off the peninsula beyond compounds' nearby helipad - this gives you 10-20 seconds worth of swimming at most - and there's a nice deep crevice in the water which will shield you from the attack helicopters if you've been spotted)
As for my route when entering - Up the stairs to the left when facing the water - head-shot the guard directly ahead and the guy just around the corner from him - then I hug the right hand side of the compound up to the next set of stairs.  I line up the 2 guards talking in the hedge garden up there so I can head-shot them both and run past the camera to the left.  By this point the guard patrolling just inside the main gate will be almost directly to my right, so a quick head-shot on him then I stand over by the main gate to get the guard who's usually standing past the metal gate opposite by this point (80% of the time he'll drop the keys) - I then take a few seconds to kill the guard above the main gate (not essential, but, hey, it's extra ammo)
By now the juggernaut will be approaching the fountain beside the central building - you can go down right behind him and head-shot him to eliminate him (getting the guy down the stairs to the left is optional - I only bother if the keys haven't dropped by now), then I get the 2 remaining personal bodyguards, loot the safe in the office (and any artwork there) - then I leave again and enter via the gates downstairs.  (Note : If I'm playing multiplayer and the alarm's triggered, then I just use the office as guards will spawn downstairs if the alarm's been triggered), grab the target and leave via the main gate.
From there it's simply kill the guard directly ahead, grab his bike and go towards the helipad (stopping to kill the guy at the helicopter to see if he has the keypad code for the next run) - then it's off the peninsula, down the underwater crevice - and back to Los Santos.

Easy money, minimal fuss

I might as well give my "best" approach as well. I'm always in a group of four and my friends are bumbling fools who like to alert guards, so it is nowhere near the "best" approach that can be done.

For the scope I'll always check out the airport first. If I don't have clothes there or the loot is really bad for four players, I'll scope the North Dock next. Using a motorcycle I'll take the jump past the checkpoint in the middle of the map then start checking the cutting powder locations. first the one in the middle, then the one in the fields. Next I'll head to the radio tower. After the tower I'll base jump and parachute to the Main Dock water tower or cutting powder location if I haven't found it yet. After using the powder at the water tower, I'll jump off to die and be sent back to the airport for a quick exit. My goal for secondary loot is to have enough to fill four bags easily. I don't care too much about the quality of the loot. Hopefully there is enough between the compound and airport to do it. If not, then I'll also scope out North Dock. My group doesn't do the Main Dock, we've had problems there.

I always do my preps in the same order: Approach Vehicle, armor disruption, weapons, cutting torch, fingerprint, then plasma cutter/safe code. Usually I'm using the Vellum if we're starting at the airport or Longfin if North Dock. In the rare occasion that there is enough loot in the compound to fill four bags, I'll do the sub prep last. After completing the vehicle prep, I'll call in the sub next to the Merryweather building. Vellum and Longfin end real close to that location. I do the armor disruption because it only takes me five minutes and I like to make sure the guards have a little less health in case I miss a head shot. With the sub close to the Merryweather building I usually get an office building for the weapon prep. If not, I'll do the guided missile trick to destroy the helicopter and start the mission again. It takes five minutes to do the office building or at least seven minutes to do the helicopter one and resetting with the missile takes forty seconds. As long as I don't have to reset more than three times then it's quicker and more fun to do the office building. I'll put away the sub when heading to the building and call it out again when I get there to place it at vespucci for it to be a little closer for the rest of the preps.

The approach on the heist is pretty simple, especially when you're in guard clothes. After looting at the Airport or North Dock, we'll head to the compound and prefer to go in with the grappling hook on the right side when facing the compound. From there my path is to take out the guard between the buildings and the camera there. Then I'll run over to the closest lockup and melee the guard there and sprint out to melee the juggernaut and then shoot the camera. Need to melee that guard to not alert the juggernaut by a gunshot. If I'm in guard clothes it doesn't matter if the camera sees you when you run after the juggernaut, if not in guard clothes then take the stairs that the camera isn't looking at. Next I'll start heading towards the office while my friends start killing more guards looking for the keycard. There is a shot straight up an ally at the camera and where a guard patrols in front of the office. Wait until he's all the way to the right before shooting the camera, then come out and kill him. I'll then make my way up to the office for the second key card. Then I'll head down to the basement for the primary, preferably taking a side door for less fingerprint puzzles, while my friends start looting the lockups outside. When we're all full we'll head out the way we came in, run to the coast, and either get a boat or swim to safety. 

We usually take our time and are in the 17 minute range. If we focused we could be under 15 minutes for the elite challenge. 

On 4/10/2021 at 11:24 AM, Shiloh Comes said:

The best approach is always the one you enjoy the most, same as anything in GTA.

See the source image

On 4/6/2021 at 11:38 AM, Nuke Cola 1 said:

Anything is better than the velum and having to travel across the entire island waving goodbye to an elite challenge.

I'd disagree with this. Depending on what your scope out yields, the Velum may be the best approach. See for example below, Solo with the Velum, done in under 10 minutes very, very easy, no fancy skills or anything.

My approach to Cayo Perico, if I'm looking to earn money (if I wanted a PB time for the finale the answer is different), is as follows

Solo:

I will always after using a bike to jump the check point to get over to the control tower and hack it, then go down to the main docks and scope it out.

If I have the the following two things there:

1) Enough loot at the main docks, and possible office painting, to fill my bag, and

2) A disguise

Then I will get the Longfin and arrive at the main docks.

If the Main docks isn't looking good, I'll get caught deliberately to be teleported to the airport. Again, does it have:

1) Enough loot (plus possible office painting) to fill my bag

2) A disguise

Then I will pick the Velum as an entry point. It must be said for the Velum that is the easiest vehicle prep going by a country mile. Well, they are all easy, but it's probably the quickest. So it might take you a bit longer to enter here on the finale, but you will make that time back on shorter preps (because time is money), but you'll still be able to do the Elite.

If neither of those have panned out, then I'll check the North docks. Does it have:

1) Enough loot (plus possible office painting) to fill my bag

2) A disguise

In this case I may enter here by the Longfin, or possibly arrive via the Velum at the Airport, if I'm going to be collecting what I need across the two locations.

It is very, very rare that across these three locations you will not find what you need. Whilst you are scoping the loot at these points, it's always worth keeping an eye out for either the supply truck or the grappling hook. It's not a major problem if you have to whack a few guards to get the gate codes, but either the grappling hook or the supply truck will save you some time if you don't have to go out of your way to get one.

If those are drawing a blank, then I might consider either the Alkonost, or the Stealth Annihilator to the southern drop zone if the fields just to the north of it have some coke. I have only used the patrol boat once, to get the travel plans award. It literally has no advantage over the Longfin. I would probably only use the Sub going solo if I have two office paintings as loot. This is because the quickest escape (hopefully everyone knows by now) is to swim from the cliffs southwest of the compound. So you want to have filled your bags before you go in. I'm assuming you're not going to glitch the doors to get gold solo.

Yes you can do this without a disguise and it's still not that difficult. But if you're looking to rack up money fast, the disguise makes it so laughable easy you really should be considering taking the option that allows you to utilise it. Very little can go wrong, which means less restarts and time wasted, more Elite challenge bonuses etc.

If you're going to do it with more than one player, then the first question is, do you have enough gold in the compound to fill all your bags?

If the answer is yes, and you're going to rely on randoms, then the Sub and going through the drainage tunnel is probably your best option. If you're doing it with skilled friends, you might take the Longfin and jump it over the cliffs as it's the quickest way to do it:

Also this is the fastest way if you want to do a solo aggressive if you have two gold in the Western Storage, or you're going to glitch through the doors. Although IMHO, not worth the hassle unless your looking to improve your PB time, Gold isn't worth that much more than Coke.

If you don't have enough Gold to fill all your bags, then I would follow the approach I use for Solo - check the main docks, then the airport, then the north docks etc.

Of course, there's always the argument to do what is fun. With two players for example we had fun with the Alkonost - you can jump inside the compound's outer checkpoint fence, as there is a small area to the far west that isn't covered by the air defences. This allows you to go straight in after killing a few guards to get the gate code.

Obviously, it's much quicker to use the sub, or the Longfin jump. Sometimes it's just fun to mix it up a bit. The above recommendations though are all about making money consistently, quickly and easily.

Edited by Jimbatron
  • Like 2

I'm about to try my first Kosatka approach. Does it just drop me off at the drainage tunnel or can I still get loot from the air field or elsewhere? I've only done the Longfin, Heli-drop repel and the Velum and usually loot the airstrip.

Timsalabimbo
2 hours ago, Taterman said:

I'm about to try my first Kosatka approach. Does it just drop me off at the drainage tunnel or can I still get loot from the air field or elsewhere? I've only done the Longfin, Heli-drop repel and the Velum and usually loot the airstrip.

Kosatka drops you off at the drainage tunnel, yes. If you choose to leave with it, too, it will be near the airfield. So what you can do is do the compound first, then escape to the main docks, steal a boat, go to the airfield, loot it, then steal a bike, and drive to the edge of the island where the Kosatka is, and swim to it.

Aquamaniac
6 hours ago, Taterman said:

You can choose both docks and drainage tunnel, but drainage entry is the only thing that makes sense, after the compound you can go anywhere you want as with any other approach.

Super Grunt 281

You should be able to get on the island directly from the kosatka-tunnel combo, the heist won't restrict the player to the things set on the planning screen.

Lately I did the heist with someone and both the main gate and the drainage tunnel had the yellow icon.

Posted (edited)
On 4/11/2021 at 1:24 AM, Shiloh Comes said:

Headshot the guard on the right, then empty the rest of the clip staightaway into the other guy.

i found i had better luck headshotting the left guard first

when i shot the right guard first then the left one tended to flinch, blocking his head with his shoulder which made a headshot difficult but when i shot the left guard first i could get the right one as they raised their gun to fire

Edited by cybapete
correction
17 hours ago, Aquamaniac said:

You can choose both docks and drainage tunnel, but drainage entry is the only thing that makes sense, after the compound you can go anywhere you want as with any other approach.

I've only gotten the secondary loot first so far at the airstrip, and escape by swimming away from the compound. Choppers and guard boats always seem to be around as I swim away even if undetected. If I rob the compound first and go get loot somehow without a guard outfit, would I be attacked and followed by choppers as I head north to get it? Even after doing the air disruption they seem to appear.

Aquamaniac
44 minutes ago, Taterman said:

I've only gotten the secondary loot first so far at the airstrip, and escape by swimming away from the compound. Choppers and guard boats always seem to be around as I swim away even if undetected. If I rob the compound first and go get loot somehow without a guard outfit, would I be attacked and followed by choppers as I head north to get it? Even after doing the air disruption they seem to appear.

You might mean El Rubios' chopper, from my experience he heads to the maindocks, than to the northdocks and then I do not know where (he flies a fixed route as far as I know, so you should be able to avoid him). I sometimes used to escape by the main docks and loot the barn there while hiding from Rubios' heli, in some cases guards attacked me when I entered the boat, in some cases not so I changed my tactics to enter the compound with full bags.

If you're disguised as a guard the chopper won't spot you unless you hang around in front of it

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Gridl0k said:

If you're disguised as a guard the chopper won't spot you unless you hang around in front of it

Thanks, but with the sub approach to the drainage tunnel I won't be able to get the guard outfit or grappling hook.

SummerFreeze
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Taterman said:

Thanks, but with the sub approach to the drainage tunnel I won't be able to get the guard outfit or grappling hook.

You can still put on a disguise after leaving the compound, assuming you grab them undetected of course. It works; I've tested it. If you're at the airfield for loot you could also steal a plane to escape but you have to disable the air defenses beforehand. So simply swimming away might be just as fast.

Edited by SummerFreeze
  • Like 3
Aquamaniac
12 hours ago, Taterman said:

You should be able to keep stealth without it, escape through the main gate is also relatively easy, you only have to take out one or two guards, made a video about the entry, don't wonder about the hatchet, it's a bug, sometimes I get the hatchet instead of the machete:

https://streamable.com/wnljpn

10 hours ago, SummerFreeze said:

You can still put on a disguise after leaving the compound, assuming you grab them undetected of course. It works; I've tested it. If you're at the airfield for loot you could also steal a plane to escape but you have to disable the air defenses beforehand. So simply swimming away might be just as fast.

The only reasonable place would be one at the guard tower near the radio tower, if you make it undetected from the compound to one of the docks or the airfield you likely won't need it any longer.

Posted (edited)

the disruption missions and cutting powder are like training wheels when you start out and the alarm goes off & you don't know why then you're just dying constantly, you take any edge you can get

i used to do the armor and air support disruptions every single heist (i still do the cutting powder most times)

forget the elite challenge i was just happy to get in and out alive even if it took 25 minutes then gradually 25 becomes 20, then 16 then one magic day 14.49 now it's 12-13 minutes constantly

Edited by cybapete
clarification