1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

What is the best approach for grinding the Cayo Perico Heist?

2 minutes ago, BeatsDown said:

Best approach is 2-player, assuming you both know what you're doing, as you can just go straight to the compound and not worry about secondaries being miles away, as you can easily grab whatever is in the compound, which is usually gold and pays out the highest. You only need 3 piles of gold to fill 2 bags. 85% / 15% cut will leave the host with about 1.8m on average. Even if you do this as a 50% / 50% each time, you're still raking it in with minimal fuss. If you're half decent you can complete the finale with elite in around 6 mins.

I agree with this, we could debate whether longfin or submarine is quicker ;)

5 minutes ago, BeatsDown said:

I've made nearly $1.7bn. It's not about money for me, but I understand for how most people it is, so I was speaking generally. The point is you can do the elite challenge in half the time by using the Longfin. whether it's money or speed you're after, Longfin is better than Velum in every way. As the saying goes, time is money, so the less time you spend making the same money the better. How is the airfield easiest to loot? They are the same, just one is much slower.

Because the Hangar is 100% safe, you can by no means get caught looting the hangar, the barn is tricky since it seems one guard can look through walls, kill this guard and it is easy also. But everybody has his own approach. I am quicker getting the Velum than the Longfin and the rest is a routine from which will I not depart when I do it solo. BTW did they nerf the extra loot recently?

The point is, what is more easy to reproduce for new players, my approach or yours.

59 minutes ago, Aquamaniac said:

I agree with this, we could debate whether longfin or submarine is quicker ;)

Because the Hangar is 100% safe, you can by no means get caught looting the hangar, the barn is tricky since it seems one guard can look through walls, kill this guard and it is easy also. But everybody has his own approach. I am quicker getting the Velum than the Longfin and the rest is a routine from which will I not depart when I do it solo. BTW did they nerf the extra loot recently?

The point is, what is more easy to reproduce for new players, my approach or yours.

There is no debate to be had. I've timed them. Longfin is about 40 seconds faster if you can do it properly. It's like debating whether 2+2=4. There is an objective answer. If the other person disagrees then they are just wrong.

New players are only new for a few attempts. After that there is a near infinite amount of times they can do it. Everyone should be up to scratch with the best methods. New players would also struggle more getting from the airfield to the compound without messing up. Regardless, the post isn't about the best way for NEW players to do the heist, it's about the heist in general, so your point is moot.

47 minutes ago, BeatsDown said:

the best methods

So are we only factoring in saving half a minute per hour here?

Not knocking on you for the speed-run strats you've posted as they seem very sound and you've certainly put in some time to figure this all out but by the time saving 40 seconds per run adds up to substantial gtabux you shouldn't be terribly worried about in-game money IMO and many players will be very sick of the same exact thing repeated over and over again.   When I get to a point where a game becomes a chore or a job I'll put it on the shelf for a while. 

Then again, plenty of folks get their enjoyment out of games from trying to shave down clear times and that's cool too.  The point being I hope everyone is enjoying themselves here and putting some weight on just how to do this and have fun. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, hispls said:

So are we only factoring in saving half a minute per hour here?

Not knocking on you for the speed-run strats you've posted as they seem very sound and you've certainly put in some time to figure this all out but by the time saving 40 seconds per run adds up to substantial gtabux you shouldn't be terribly worried about in-game money IMO and many players will be very sick of the same exact thing repeated over and over again.   When I get to a point where a game becomes a chore or a job I'll put it on the shelf for a while. 

Then again, plenty of folks get their enjoyment out of games from trying to shave down clear times and that's cool too.  The point being I hope everyone is enjoying themselves here and putting some weight on just how to do this and have fun. 

No, it's way more than half a minute. It's closer to 8 minutes, and that is just one alteration, I'm sure there are many other things in scope out and preps that people are doing which could be done faster and more efficiently. And if it's taking you a whole hour to do the Cayo Perico from start to finish you're doing something wrong. 

7 hours ago, Nuke Cola 1 said:

Anything is better than the velum and having to travel across the entire island waving goodbye to an elite challenge.

Patrol Boat has entered the chat.

dieseltech20

Speed, speed, speed. If that's so important than the best way to grind the heist is on PC where the entire thing can be completed from the beginning in about 5 minutes. If you are great with the glass cutting you could save a couple more minutes, lol.

15 hours ago, Aquamaniac said:

Because the Hangar is 100% safe, you can by no means get caught looting the hangar, the barn is tricky since it seems one guard can look through walls, kill this guard and it is easy also.

i saw a video where someone killed the guard near the power station, then climbed up the fence opposite and climbed again onto the roof, shot the guard on the balcony then the camera under them and looted the barn 

heaps easier and quicker than trying to kill the two guards next to each other without alerting the balcony guard 

PhilPerlmutter
15 hours ago, Nuke Cola 1 said:

Anything is better than the velum and having to travel across the entire island waving goodbye to an elite challenge. 

By no means you will come even close to a time ecxeeding the limit necessary for elite challenge even with that approach, it can still be achieved very easily.

That said though, it is certainly not the fastest approach.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, cybapete said:

i saw a video where someone killed the guard near the power station, then climbed up the fence opposite and climbed again onto the roof, shot the guard on the balcony then the camera under them and looted the barn 

heaps easier and quicker than trying to kill the two guards next to each other without alerting the balcony guard 

Yes, it seems you have to kill the guard that patrols at the solar panels first (obviously he can see through walls, thats the only explanation), then shoot the camera. Maybe kill the guard on the balcony too, not sure about that.

5 hours ago, cybapete said:

If you have a link to that, please do post it.

1 hour ago, Aquamaniac said:

Yes, it seems you have to kill the guard that patrols at the solar panels first (obviously he can see through walls, thats the only explanation), then shoot the camera. Maybe kill the guard on the balcony too, not sure about that.

I did that, and then shut off the power to take out the cameras. It seemed to help.

On 4/6/2021 at 11:08 AM, BeatsDown said:

And if it's taking you a whole hour to do the Cayo Perico from start to finish you're doing something wrong. 

REEEEEEEE   You can't have fun unless you do it the way I say.

If you enjoy speedrunning I won't try to take that away from you, but from where I'm sitting if I'm having some laughs with friends in chat and having fun I'm doing it right.   

That said if speed running was my scene and I were any good at it I'd be looking more into a high profile iconic speed run game like SMB, Contra, or Castlevania.  

• Like 3
4 hours ago, hispls said:

REEEEEEEE   You can't have fun unless you do it the way I say.

If you enjoy speedrunning I won't try to take that away from you, but from where I'm sitting if I'm having some laughs with friends in chat and having fun I'm doing it right.   

That said if speed running was my scene and I were any good at it I'd be looking more into a high profile iconic speed run game like SMB, Contra, or Castlevania.  

I never said that people HAVE to do it the way I said, I'm simply stating it's the best way, and that is what this thread is about.

SummerFreeze
On 4/5/2021 at 3:06 PM, AirWolf359 said:

Should I buy a vehicle warehouse and a Phantom Wedge just for the Longfin prep? Or should I continue using the MOC?

I don't have a vehicle warehouse, because I got the Kosatka first and have no interest in Import/Export, crate warehouses or whatever on my new character, and I know the Phantom Wedge comes without bulletproof tyres.

(yes, I did get a MOC, because I do have bunker for mk2 weapons)

I currently use the MOC all the way, and when I get to the docks, I find a random truck on the street to use for delivery at the marker.

I'd say it depends on how many more times you plan to do the heist with the Longfin approach. Unless it's 30+ times, personally I wouldn't bother.

If you need a merge glitch for PC to mod special vehicles and aircraft though, let me know. (Works with anything that can be called on the map as a personal vehicle.)

Edited by SummerFreeze
Nuke Cola 1
On 4/7/2021 at 11:51 AM, PhilPerlmutter said:

By no means you will come even close to a time ecxeeding the limit necessary for elite challenge even with that approach, it can still be achieved very easily.

That said though, it is certainly not the fastest approach.

I'd take the sub or long fin. Gets you closer to where you need to be, and are the two quicker options on the board. 

I like having that extra time available for grabbing good secondary loot whilst going solo.

PhilPerlmutter
14 hours ago, Nuke Cola 1 said:

I'd take the sub or long fin. Gets you closer to where you need to be, and are the two quicker options on the board. 

I like having that extra time available for grabbing good secondary loot whilst going solo.

You said "waving goodbye to an elite challenge" and that is simply very unlikely.

I do the velum approach very rarely, but let's assume the following scenario:

2x Coke , Clothes at the airport and the truck either at the airport or at the main dock.

It is very convenient to take the velum to the airport, get the guard clothes, grab the coke and either take the truck to the maingate or the bike to the main dock to enter the truck there to go to the main gate.

With the truck and guard clothes, you can silently enter via maingate and enter like 15 m next to the office/basement.

After you have looted the primary target and the safe in the office, you can simply leave the same way to the main gate and leave the compound.

Then you take the bike to the ocean and escape.

That roughly takes 10 minutes, which means there is heaps of time before you come close to the fail time for elite challenge, that is basically the point I made.

Are there faster ways? Definately!

Will you run out of time for Elite Challenge? I would say impossible.

In fact, it is probably the easiest way to get elite challenge especially for beginners.

Downsides: not every secondery target, guard clothes and truck locations are benefitial for that way, also you can save time up to 5 min doing it differently, but then I would assume that the average person will not save these 5 minutes but rather like 2-3 minutes and probably loose more than 5 minutes because of a bad prep strat\order.

And btw, speaking of speed, the speedboat (long fin) is always faster, even than the submarine when taking the sewers entrance.

It is a few seconds faster to take the longfin to that entrance and dive with breathers from there...

Edited by PhilPerlmutter
  • Like 3
22 hours ago, Nuke Cola 1 said:

I usually grab my extra loot before the compound, so I can do the swim escape and save time at the end. As I said I usually need 12 minutes for elite challenge with Velum. If I can't fill my bags at the airport I would still have the time to loot the barn at the main dock after the compound to beat the elite challenge.

• Like 3
On 4/7/2021 at 4:25 PM, Aquamaniac said:

i don't think you HAVE to kill the guard on the balcony from memory if you hug the wall his cone of vision doesn't cover the barn

but if you jump up onto the roof you have a straight shot at him so why not?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, cybapete said:

i don't think you HAVE to kill the guard on the balcony from memory if you hug the wall his cone of vision doesn't cover the barn

but if you jump up onto the roof you have a straight shot at him so why not?

Tried it yesterday, you can leave the balcony guy alone (if you get the disguise at the tables) but kill the guy at the solar panels and then the camera. My theory is, this guy can see through walls, he will notice you looting the barn or the destroyed camera (through the wall). In general, do guards recognize destroyed cameras? If I destroyed only the camera, the alarm was triggered with some delay, so it must be related to the solar panel guard.

• Like 1
On 4/6/2021 at 11:44 AM, Aquamaniac said:

This is bloody annoying that guards can see through walls. I believe there's also a CCTV camera in front of that barn that requires shooting out.

But you get my point.

Personally I've never been caught by the guard here when taking out the camera. I try and loot when he is patrolling/looking the other way. The only way I tend to f*ck up here is when my aim has been sh*t and shot the fella in the shoulder and not his head - I have to run like hell before that alarm gets raised 🤦‍♂️

• Like 2
SummerFreeze
1 hour ago, Sam2150AD said:

This is bloody annoying that guards can see through walls. I believe there's also a CCTV camera in front of that barn that requires shooting out.

To be fair, the wooden planks of the airport shack do have gaps between them. So it's not unrealistic that someone could see through them.

I usually jump over the wall to get to the loot, and climb back over it again to pick up the Manchez from next to the solar panels, so I find there is no need to shoot the camera. Also when running there straight away after landing, you can pick up one table of loot before the guard arrives.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, SummerFreeze said:

To be fair, the wooden planks of the airport shack do have gaps between them. So it's not unrealistic that someone could see through them.

I usually jump over the wall to get to the loot, and climb back over it again to pick up the Manchez from next to the solar panels, so I find there is no need to shoot the camera. Also when running there straight away after landing, you can pick up one table of loot before the guard arrives.

This was my first thought too but the barn is behinde a concrete wall, no way a guard would see through it. But I am curious about the cameras, guards don't mind dead bodies, but cameras? I'm not sure about the bodies this is why I try to leave as less behind as possible.

Edited by Aquamaniac
1 hour ago, Aquamaniac said:

This was my first thought too but the barn is behinde a concrete wall, no way a guard would see through it. But I am curious about the cameras, guards don't mind dead bodies, but cameras? I'm not sure about the bodies this is why I try to leave as less behind as possible.

Cameras do spot dead bodies.

• Like 1
On 4/7/2021 at 3:52 PM, BeatsDown said:

it's the best way

Implying best = fastest. 

What if I value being able to play with friends?  What if I have a good time in the sub prep mission trying to bank-shot grenades around corners to kill goons down there?  What if I simply don't like repeating the same thing endlessly when a variety of options are available?  

If you value best clear times above all else your speedrun is "best" but if we start weighing anything like some variety, playing with 1-3 friends, or just which missions we prefer perhaps not so much.

Again, even doing this "the wrong way" pays so much that nobody should be having in-game money troubles so unless you really enjoy speed running why should anybody get so hung up on that? 
FFS all I'm saying is that whatever you do, I hope all you guys are having fun doing any of this.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, hispls said:

Implying best = fastest. 

What if I value being able to play with friends?  What if I have a good time in the sub prep mission trying to bank-shot grenades around corners to kill goons down there?  What if I simply don't like repeating the same thing endlessly when a variety of options are available?  

If you value best clear times above all else your speedrun is "best" but if we start weighing anything like some variety, playing with 1-3 friends, or just which missions we prefer perhaps not so much.

Again, even doing this "the wrong way" pays so much that nobody should be having in-game money troubles so unless you really enjoy speed running why should anybody get so hung up on that? 
FFS all I'm saying is that whatever you do, I hope all you guys are having fun doing any of this.

The title of the thread:  What is the best approach for grinding the Cayo Perico Heist?

The thread isn't called 'What's the best way to have loads of fun and waste time?'

I don't know why this is so difficult to understand. If you're grinding something you'd want to get it done as fast as possible (mum jokes aside).

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Sam2150AD said:

But you get my point.

Personally I've never been caught by the guard here when taking out the camera. I try and loot when he is patrolling/looking the other way. The only way I tend to f*ck up here is when my aim has been sh*t and shot the fella in the shoulder and not his head - I have to run like hell before that alarm gets raised 🤦‍♂️

8 hours ago, Aquamaniac said:

Tried it yesterday, you can leave the balcony guy alone (if you get the disguise at the tables) but kill the guy at the solar panels and then the camera. My theory is, this guy can see through walls, he will notice you looting the barn or the destroyed camera (through the wall). In general, do guards recognize destroyed cameras? If I destroyed only the camera, the alarm was triggered with some delay, so it must be related to the solar panel guard.

After killing the guard near the power station, couldn't you just shut off the power to disable the cameras?

15 minutes ago, Taterman said:

After killing the guard near the power station, couldn't you just shut off the power to disable the cameras?

Now I sound like BeatsDown, that's a waste of time, only this one camera must away, at the time you arrive at the compound the power will be back anyways and inside the compound the cameras never bothered me. I kill that guard, take bike, drive into the barn, shoot the camera, loot the barn, speed to the compound, pickup grapplig hook on the way and thats it.

Edited by Aquamaniac
  • Like 1
32 minutes ago, Aquamaniac said:

Now I sound like BeatsDown, that's a waste of time, only this one camera must away, at the time you arrive at the compound the power will be back anyways and inside the compound the cameras never bothered me. I kill that guard, take bike, drive into the barn, shoot the camera, loot the barn, speed to the compound, pickup grapplig hook on the way and thats it.

How long does the power stay off?

PhilPerlmutter
3 hours ago, Taterman said:

How long does the power stay off?

As far I know, it is said by Pavel that only the cameras outside of the compound are rendered inactive. As far I remember, after leaving the compound, the cameras outside will be active again.

In conclusion it is totally not worth it.

On 4/7/2021 at 5:50 PM, Taterman said:

If you have a link to that, please do post it.

found it!

• Like 2