3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

Martinez Is A Poorly Written Villain...

Smash Bandicoot

In my opinion, Jerry Martinez is a very poorly written, shoven in main villain, and the second worst main villain in the entire GTA franchise right behind Massimo Torini, he literally has no buildup, proper story or clear motive, he is just a villain for the sake of there being a villain, he leaves so many questions unanswered and there is little logic at all behind his villainy.

-How did he rank higher in the military let alone be accepted into it?

-How wasn't he noticed or face consequences?

-Why does the military go after Vic but not Martinez?

-Why does Vic stay silent like a jackass and not tell the military it was Martinez who told him to do the things he did?

-You'know, I'm pretty sure anyone would hear his loud sniffing and sex tapes from the other side of the damn base.

-What the f*ck happened to his relation with the military after Vic's discharge?

-Why for the love of f*cking god does he want Vic and Phil dead for absolutely no f*cking reason other than to make the plot continue? he literally could've used Vic and Phil to complete his errands, I don't see any benefit of killing them.

-Why the f*ck did he leave town?

-Why did the cops support him and treat him like a boss after his records?

-Why'd he come back into town?

-Why are his goons a random Atlantan gang with no ties to him at all?

-Why didn't he go after Phil after the betrayal mission?

-Why for the love of god almighty does he still wear a camo suit till the end of the f*cking game?

Literally all this nonsense bullsh*t has no clear answer, not any clues, nothing.

Edited by Smash Bandicoot
2 hours ago, Smash Bandicoot said:

How did he rank higher in the military let alone be accepted into it?

If I ever rewrote the game I will give him a sad backstory similar to Vic's story to give him even more motivation to insanely hate Vic because he saw himself in him and that Vic is better so he's trying to make him break like him

How wasn't he noticed or face consequences?

-Why does Vic stay silent like a jackass and not tell the military it was Martinez who told him to do the things he did?

Martinez has two faces that we saw in the game 

The wacky and clown face that he behaves around Vic and Phil with

And the other serious and  intimidating face that we saw in some missions 

So he probably uses the second face in front of everyone

Why for the love of f*cking god does he want Vic and Phil dead for absolutely no f*cking reason other than to make the plot continue? he literally could've used Vic and Phil to complete his errands, I don't see any benefit of killing them.

Because of what Phil said when he was drunk that they don't trust him and that he's an asshole and probably some other things that made Martinez realize that they're not trust worthy and that they will probably kill him or betray him

Why the f*ck did he leave town?

-Why'd he come back into town?

I don't remember any of this happening in the game

Why for the love of god almighty does he still wear a camo suit till the end of the f*cking game?

Chill it's just a portable video game

Edited by DR:BUSTA
  • Like 1
LeatherJacketSoldier
14 minutes ago, DR:BUSTA said:

I don't remember any of this happening in the game

I barely remember, the pager says something about Martinez coming back to town and that he'll be going for Louise, I think it's right before Accidents Will Happen.

14 minutes ago, DR:BUSTA said:

Chill it's just a portable video game

And at least in Argentina many second-best losers from Falklands war are still wearing army fatigues, I doubt they spent more time in the army than Phil Cassidy did, a.k.a. they never were in the army and don't even know how does it feel being in a war. A real one. Not Falklands war.

Edited by LeatherJacketSoldier
How can I fill a request for the editor to stop merging my replies?
LeatherJacketSoldier
57 minutes ago, BossFF007 said:

What is this guy's problem with GTA VCS?

I dunno, but it's not only with VCS. There are threads about III and SA written by him as well, complaining about the lack of map development of Upstate Liberty (don't realizing games had to be not too huge by 2002 or so, so imagine in 2001), and trying to start a conspiracy theory about Tenpenny being the boss of crack business in San Andreas, even by the end of the game. Hell, I find funny to create useless discussions once in a while, in fact I do, but this guy acts like he's paid to do so lol

LeatherJacketSoldier
2 hours ago, LeatherJacketSoldier said:

I dunno, but it's not only with VCS. There are threads about III and SA written by him as well, complaining about the lack of map development of Upstate Liberty (don't realizing games had to be not too huge by 2002 or so, so imagine in 2001), and trying to start a conspiracy theory about Tenpenny being the boss of crack business in San Andreas, even by the end of the game. Hell, I find funny to create useless discussions once in a while, in fact I do, but this guy acts like he's paid to do so lol

This is what I mean: "https://gtaforums.com/topic/970265-nobody-ever-talks-about-this-so-i-will/"

There are two things to consider in that topic: I tried with an Infernus speeding from South to North VC Mainland's main boulevard, and I achieved almost the same time using an Infernus to speed South to North in Staunton Island's biggest streets, from Love Media (in LCS, I don't remember what was there in III) to One Armed Bandit (in III). So, the maps are bad scaled, VC should be the same length of Staunton Island. The second thing is that he's forgetting VC was indeed rushed because it was made in 9 months, using placeholders from III, and is very complete in terms of storyline, ambient, and characters' personality, so R* didn't care too much about the map because they had to implement things like bikes and helicopters maneuverability, and even a full array of guns and melee weapons to use. The map is very functional as it is now, and I dare to say there are map details players didn't discover yet (such as the Zombie discovered inside Auntie Poulet's house by use of trainers, or Reagan shooting at a bull's eye with the picture of Gorbachov in it inside a wall of North Mainland's Ammu-Nation). Yes, it has very few streets and ways to escape the police, but still the rest of the game compensates that with all the other amazing features (and potentially adding the mods made by fans).

Returning to the OP, one hour after my last reply here he was starting another discussion thread, that's what I find funny XD

On 3/30/2021 at 10:58 PM, Smash Bandicoot said:

-Why are his goons a random Atlantan gang with no ties to him at all?

What Atlantan gang? where is Atlanta mentioned? sorry i haven't played VCS.

• KEKW 1
  • Bruh 1
LeatherJacketSoldier
5 hours ago, ViceKing said:

where is Atlanta mentioned?

Nowhere. Smash Bandicoot was just kidding with comparisons. Since Martinez joined the army to get rich, as he says during the first cutscene, it's most likely that he has his own personal army of mercenaries because he has the money to do so, but SB here doesn't take half a minute to think about it and just storms the original post with every reason he can think of to criticize Martinez, not stopping to think about the consistency of any of them.

5 hours ago, ViceKing said:

sorry i haven't played VCS.

If you're planning on playing it, then get ready to play the (by way far) hardest 3D Era GTA game. It also has a very sad storyline in my opinion, as I said on another thread that I don't remember, Vic never gets out of trouble unlike what's seen in other GTA's. I've completed it at 100%, but it was too difficult, specially the last missions (I think those are the last 4). Of the GTA's I've played (in 3D, not counting Advance), it's my less favourite game. I'm playing again LCS without many of the side missions, since achieving 100% the first time was enough for me (it's a bit tedious to get on PPSSPP), but I don't think I'm going to play VCS again.

Smash Bandicoot
6 hours ago, LeatherJacketSoldier said:

If you're planning on playing it, then get ready to play the (by way far) hardest 3D Era GTA game.

Yeah, ""By far the hardest"", must be on Ryder's water.

Yeah, his betrayal was not very well written, but he was such a jerk (look what he did to Louise, ain't that threatening?) and his death satisfied me.

Edited by OH76
  • Like 2
LeatherJacketSoldier
7 hours ago, Smash Bandicoot said:

Yeah, ""By far the hardest"", must be on Ryder's water.

Okay, Mr. Game Master, What's your most difficult GTA game from the 3D Era, then?

Smash Bandicoot
1 minute ago, LeatherJacketSoldier said:

Okay, Mr. Game Master, What's your most difficult GTA game from the 3D Era, then?

Probably GTA 3 or San Andreas

LeatherJacketSoldier
7 minutes ago, Smash Bandicoot said:

Probably GTA 3 or San Andreas

Well, heh heh, we share a point then. III is my second difficult game of 3D Era. I've spoken about it on "GTA III is the hardest GTA game, facts." topic.

• 1 month later...

On 3/30/2021 at 5:58 PM, Smash Bandicoot said:

-What the f*ck happened to his relation with the military after Vic's discharge?

It's never stated, but there's not reason to think it changed at all until before The Mugshot Longshot.

-Why for the love of f*cking god does he want Vic and Phil dead for absolutely no f*cking reason other than to make the plot continue? he literally could've used Vic and Phil to complete his errands, I don't see any benefit of killing them.

Certainly, his betrayal was the reason he was killed by Vic in the end, but he knew both Phil and Vic thought he was untrustworthy (prior to Marked Man, Phil had gotten drunk and told Martinez he didn't trust him). By the way, in the cutscene of Truck Stop, Martinez told Phil not to smoke too much of what he was having at that moment or he'd get paranoid, and proceeded to take the cigar for himself and smoke it.

-How wasn't he noticed or face consequences?

I guess, just like with Vic in Conduct Unbecoming, passing the blame to a lower ranking military member.

Because Martinez, who had a longer career in the Army, saved face. He briefly talks with Vic about this in Truck Stop. But I too find it hard to believe he wouldn't have been found out after all.

We don't know for sure whether he did it or not. After all, we're only shown what happens after the base's gates close behind Vic, who no longer has his uniform. Besides, the weed was under Vic's bed, and not Martinez's

-Why the f*ck did he leave town?

In order to not get killed by the Mendez, whose shipment was lost. That's the same reason Lance told Vic in The Mugshot Longshot he would have fled to Haiti had the Mendez not trusted them.

They don't do that in The Mugshot Longshot.

-Why didn't he go after Phil after the betrayal mission?

In the ending cutscene of Marked Man, Phil said he'd lay low. Besides, since he helped defend the Vance's businesses in Blitzkrieg Strikes Again, he seems to be reliable enough with guns, which adds up with his role in the bank heist in GTA: Vice City. After that, the only time he's seen as an easy target, in Phil's Depot, drunk and defenceless, is in Over The Top, the second-to-last mission. That would explain why he avoided Martinez for the rest of the game.

-Why for the love of god almighty does he still wear a camo suit till the end of the f*cking game?

I agree having Martinez wear that suit the entire game is jarring.