1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

Should GTA 6 Merge with GTA 5 Online or is it possible?

TrueGamer

I've been thinking about it for a while so if GTA 6 ever comes will it merge with GTA 5 Online Like share its online mode since Black Ops Cold War's Warzone is pretty much Intergrated with Modern Warfare's Warzone.

23 minutes ago, TrueGamer said:

I've been thinking about it for a while so if GTA 6 ever comes will it merge with GTA 5 Online Like share its online mode since Black Ops Cold War's Warzone is pretty much Intergrated with Modern Warfare's Warzone.

I don't think it should merge. GTA Online is in desperate need of a reboot with a complete overhaul. Hopefully GTA VI is so much of an upgrade that the two just aren't compatible.

• Like 3

GTA Online is coming out as a standalone game, like Red Dead Online already has, so I would expect it to, in some way. I think if the GTA VI engine, map and features are also coming to Online then, that could mean that the PC version of VI would release alongside the console versions, since you otherwise have this weird disparity. Do you just leave PC Online not updated for 6-12 months? Do you update Online but not release singleplayer on PC for another year? And in those usual 6-12 months for the usual PC release time window for a Rockstar game, there would be 1-2 updates for Online, probably, that would just not work without that VI merger. Another interesting thing that people seem to forget is that the PC version of V was originally slated to release at the same time as the PS4/X1 versions, which it is most similar to, and even then was delayed by only a few months into April and Max Payne 3, which had release in 2012, had the PC version release only weeks after the console versions. Of course RDR2 still took an entire year for the PC version to come out, but I don't think it is impossible to see PC release alongside console this time, or possibly only a few weeks, maybe 2-3 months at worst, after.

I think this is what’s gonna happen in some shame or form. Also I think GTA V E&E is a way to let the fan base grow also on next gen consoles, in order to prepare the soil for GTA VI.

1 minute ago, Drummer98 said:

I think this is what’s gonna happen in some shame or form. Also I think GTA V E&E is a way to let the fan base grow also on next gen consoles, in order to prepare the soil for GTA VI.

Yup, get the new version of Online nice and rolling, put out VI, merge that games map and features into Online, make profit.

Oh, also, another argument for VI releasing on console and PC (almost) simultaneous would be that very few PC players would be willing to purchase it on console first, because they can't transfer their character from PC to PS5 or XSX, and they wouldn't wanna start with a new character that they're only gonna play for 6-12 months. It also looks like Rockstar is improving their anti-cheat, slowly and barely, but improving it nonetheless, perhaps hoping to capitalize more on the PC market, as banning players for getting money from a cheater, or players not playing the game anymore because of cheaters, probably isn't the most succesful financial strategy.

Exa

17 minutes ago, Ser_Salty said:

Yup, get the new version of Online nice and rolling, put out VI, merge that games map and features into Online, make profit.

Oh, also, another argument for VI releasing on console and PC (almost) simultaneous would be that very few PC players would be willing to purchase it on console first, because they can't transfer their character from PC to PS5 or XSX, and they wouldn't wanna start with a new character that they're only gonna play for 6-12 months. It also looks like Rockstar is improving their anti-cheat, slowly and barely, but improving it nonetheless, perhaps hoping to capitalize more on the PC market, as banning players for getting money from a cheater, or players not playing the game anymore because of cheaters, probably isn't the most succesful financial strategy.

Right, I agree 100%. Also I think they want to make GTA and Red Dead Online permanent properties, in order to develop the single player part of their games separately from the online and most importantly, in order to constantly milk the cow.

1 minute ago, Drummer98 said:

Exa

Right, I agree 100%. Also I think they want to make GTA and Red Dead Online permanent properties, in order to develop the single player part of their games separately from the online and most importantly, in order to constantly milk the cow.

The Online modes are basically just moneyprinters for Rockstar. They're selling an infinitely reproducable in-game currency with real world value determined by them. I mean, it's the death of economics as we know it, but it's just free money for them.

2 minutes ago, Ser_Salty said:

The Online modes are basically just moneyprinters for Rockstar. They're selling an infinitely reproducable in-game currency with real world value determined by them. I mean, it's the death of economics as we know it, but it's just free money for them.

Basically yes. Unfortunately a lot of people is willing to pay real money for fake currency and keep to pay more and more for something that will remain on the web. I don’t wanna say it’s their fault if we’ve been waiting for a new game since 2013, but surely things would have been different without them. Honestly I hope Rockstar will use at least some of this revenue to make a great GTA VI, because they have to, for their die-hard fans, otherwise, we can clearly say that the old Rockstar is gone.

FortifiedGooner86

GTA VI should have it's own personal GTA:O mode. Not a complete merge/copycat from V. 

Of course, R* can implement some features from the current GTA:O as it's successful, but they need to start afresh with things like the currency, playable character and content. 

Besides, does anybody here really want Los Santos to act as a second major city in GTA VI? Cos I don't. I'm bored of that city. 

Edited by FortifiedGooner86
1 minute ago, FortifiedGooner86 said:

GTA VI should have it's own personal GTA:O mode. Not a complete merge/copycat from V. 

Of course, R* can implement some features from the current GTA:O as it's successful, but they need to start afresh with things like the currency, playable character and content. 

Besides, does anybody here really want Los Santos to act as a second major city in GTA VI? Cos I don't. I'm bored of that city. 

Yeah, I don't really see much upside in trying to merge the two. Starting over creates the perfect jumping on point for new people and gives all the people who left when it got too chaotic a reason to come back. It also gives Rockstar the opportunity to fix the mess that GTA Online is, at least for a little bit.

• Like 3

I think GTA V E&E is more of a gap filler and them cashing in extra money since they know there is a considerable gap between RDR 2 and GTA VI. GTA V E&E will release this year and get updated for 4 years (or 3 years, depending how you look at it), from the end of 2021 to near the end of 2024, just before GTA VI release. So to answer the question, I don't think they will merge online with GTA VI, and I certaintly hope that VI gets it's own online mode that is fresh and new. 

Edited by EliteGamer_6
  • Like 3

for someone who was kind of addicted to online the first couple of years after it came out, i'm just hoping of not going back there.

releasing it as a standalone gives me hope that it will just be that. an entity they will support separately until it no longer gives that sweet milk.

the company has definitely been growing over the last years with new studios rockstar india and dundee, so they surely have the manpower.

anyway, i really don't want to fill half of my future ps5's 667gb ssd with just gta but i'm absolutely ready for a fresh and exciting new addiction.

Edited by methcraft
23 minutes ago, methcraft said:

anyway, i really don't want to fill half of my future ps5's 667gb ssd with just gta but i'm absolutely ready for a fresh and exciting new addiction.

Yeah, I think one thing people don't realize is that Online being available as a separate purchase doesn't really make it "stand alone". If you purchase Red Dead Online only you're still downloading single player, it's just locked, and if you buy RDR2 it still comes with Online. The two are always tied together and you can't have one without the other.

This means that if they merged the online modes you'd have to have two GTA's and their online modes installed just to play GTA VI's story. Sure, they could change this in the future but I don't see that happening.

I think what'll happen is when you boot up GTA VI, you'll be given the option of Story Mode or Online Mode. If you select online you'll be given the option of Los Santos/Blaine County or wherever VI takes place and the two will be separate games with separate economies, content, etc.

• Like 2

This is laughable to even think they'll somehow port GTAO to VI.

GTA V to GTA VI is going to be like RDR 1 to RDR 2, completely different game on an engine that's vastly improved over a decade. 

I do think GTA Online (V) will will get a downgraded map from GTA VI since it's separated from V; possibly means GTA VI won't get an online mode.

I don't think they will port it, VI online will (hopefully) have a different focus than V - that is not heists, but something else, perhaps something more unique. At most I would see them porting V map to VI online, but even then I think they would rather focus on making content for VI map. Old GTA Online is bloated with content and I don't see that carrying over to the other game's online mode.

Also the next gen version of V probably exists purely because adding new content to old consoles would make the game even more unstable than it already is, and they clearly want to extend GTA V Online for a few years still. A better looking port with some additional things, but I doubt it will be a big deal. Just an updated remaster.

No,GTA VI multiplayer and V multiplayer must be different like Strauss expressed in some interview.

VI should have multiple  crime roles rooting from different cities,different businesses,heists,races,etc.

At most i think they would include V's online vehicles in VI.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Ryz 92 said:

No,GTA VI multiplayer and V multiplayer must be different like Strauss expressed in some interview.

VI should have multiple  crime roles rooting from different cities,different businesses,heists,races,etc.

At most i think they would include V's online vehicles in VI.

What if they carry both of them forward? V Online gets put on the backburner, still receiving vehicle and weapon updates and the like, but no major content. Two seperate characters for each of them (especially if VI actually is set in the past), but V still upgraded to be graphically and gameplay wise similar to VI. I don't see them seperating Online from V if they're just planning to ditch it 2-3 years down the line. If they had kept Online attached to V completely, I would've believed that they're gonna do a new multiplayer for VI, but the way they're treating Online as a seperate IP/game to V makes me think otherwise. Wouldn't make sense to support the old archaic version of Online after VI releases either. It also doesn't make sense for them to take more than a year to just give GTA V 4k and 60fps support for the PS5/XSX version, that could've been done in a month or two and be ready as a PS5 launch title, so they're definitely doing something big and my guess is the reason for it is that they're planning on carrying Online forward. And if they just wanted an Online standalone, but with the V singleplayer still attached, just inaccessible, they could've easily done that already as well, so I wouldn't discount the possibility that the Online standalone version might actually, well, stand alone.

Of course, the question we gotta ask ourselves then is: what're they gonna do for GTA 7? Now, updating one map and one games worth of models to look as good as the next would already be a pretty time and effort consuming deal, but at least it's possible, and things like cars would likely reappear in VI anyway.

I really think we gotta wait to see what E&E is before we can make more educated guesses and speculations on the future of Online.

48 minutes ago, Ser_Salty said:

What if they carry both of them forward? V Online gets put on the backburner, still receiving vehicle and weapon updates and the like, but no major content. Two seperate characters for each of them (especially if VI actually is set in the past), but V still upgraded to be graphically and gameplay wise similar to VI. I don't see them seperating Online from V if they're just planning to ditch it 2-3 years down the line. If they had kept Online attached to V completely, I would've believed that they're gonna do a new multiplayer for VI, but the way they're treating Online as a seperate IP/game to V makes me think otherwise. Wouldn't make sense to support the old archaic version of Online after VI releases either. It also doesn't make sense for them to take more than a year to just give GTA V 4k and 60fps support for the PS5/XSX version, that could've been done in a month or two and be ready as a PS5 launch title, so they're definitely doing something big and my guess is the reason for it is that they're planning on carrying Online forward. And if they just wanted an Online standalone, but with the V singleplayer still attached, just inaccessible, they could've easily done that already as well, so I wouldn't discount the possibility that the Online standalone version might actually, well, stand alone.

Of course, the question we gotta ask ourselves then is: what're they gonna do for GTA 7? Now, updating one map and one games worth of models to look as good as the next would already be a pretty time and effort consuming deal, but at least it's possible, and things like cars would likely reappear in VI anyway.

I really think we gotta wait to see what E&E is before we can make more educated guesses and speculations on the future of Online.

I thought the same thing,V will be simlar to RDR2 after initial E&E release imo,they'll carry some updates after VI,maybe adding Vice City or whatever the new map is.But having 2 different online modes are way more appealing and profitable.

To cut things short,i want VI's online to be different and V's online is limited and has way too many flaws imo,but as you said it's too early  to  make educated guess,so let's wait for E&E.

My explanation might be a bit complicated but here is what I think will happen

When you open up Cold War (latest CoD game), you get a menu with "Cold War, Warzone, Modern Warfare". I feel like "GTA Online Standalone" will look like this when GTA VI releases. GTA VI itself will be singleplayer, but when you go on GTA Online, a menu will open up like CoD and you will be given the choice of Los Santos/V and City/VI. Then when you go on "Los Santos/V" the orginal online version opens up. But when you go on Vice City/VI (Using VC as example), you get brought to Vice City in GTA VI setting. I don't think the characters, moneys, cars, properties, etc will transfer. GTA VI online mode will be a fresh start. But you could still play both of them, just through a menu, not both maps in the same world that many may seem to think. And if VI does take place in the past, this would be perfect as one is in modern times (no longer updated) and the other is in the past and would not feel weird transfering from one era to another through a menu as opposed to flying to another era through an airplane lmao.

TL;DR GTA VI Online will be a new experience, but you could play both through GTA Online Standalone menu, like CoD menu when you open up the game with "Cold War, Warzone, Modern Warfare".

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

even prior to GTA Online becoming a standalone, they always made Online sound like an entirely separate game altogether back in the early days of 2013/2014.

this was something I feel they had planned all along knowing the direction they'll take GTA Online when the next installment of the series releases.

I think it'll turn out to something like @EGA_6 mentioned, where it's still on one game, but menu screen that gives you choices if you want to play V's or VI's multiplayer.

On 3/22/2021 at 11:37 PM, TrueGamer said:

No GTA VI should be something new, especially an entirely new location (in relation to San Andreas). The present GTAO map might be extended and GTA VI singleplayer only at a wholly different location, this might be the best solution.