2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

Looking to try a grappling hook entry

I've only done drainage tunnel entries and want to try something new. The way I've done it is Longfin, and drive to the airstrip to get the loot I scoped and the grappling hook and guard uniform. Then straight to the drainage tunnel in the boat. This is solo.

For the grappling hook entry, what is the best infiltration point and route to the compound? I'd like to get the loot at the airstrip hangar first if possible. I'm not that good and looting the main dock or other spots are dicey for me loot-wise.

Depends where you find a hook and guard uniforms, grappling hook without disquise is not ideal but might work well for a sniper team when you can take out multiple guards the same time (would be ideal if one is found at the light house and you enter by the southern drop zone). But killing all the guards in front of the compound makes the hook somehwat obsolete since one guard likely will drop the keycode then, it is a better spawn point though, at least for my style.

Velum with both located at the airfield would be ideal, you can also find both close to each other at the wooden jetty, then Longfin (or also Velum) might be the best choice.

As I said sometimes one is at the light tower, then you might try the southern drop zone or halo jump to the radio tower area, you may find a guard uniform at the radio tower or at the guard tower close to it.

You might like this video, you'll see how easy it is, always enter at the right side:

https://streamable.com/oiq9h0

The grappling hook is also great for escape when you have no disguise, enter through the drainage tunnel, escape by the grappling hook, 4 possible locations are directly at the shore.

• Like 1

Thanks Aqua. The last sentence is pretty much what I've done every time so far.

It sounds like a grappling hook entry is pretty tricky.

Not tricky, there are only many possible combinations (of hook and disguise) and for each combination another approach (vehicle) fits best. I'm curious which tactics you will develop.

i would recommend getting a guard disguise to go with the grappling hook

it will let you drive along the road to the compound going straight through the checkpoints

otherwise you would have to use a bike and go offroad to dodge them

• Like 2

My group almost always uses grappling hook and disguises. I'll scout out the airport first to check for loot quality and the disguise and hook. If it's not good there, I'll scout out the north dock. At the airport we'll use the Vellum approach. At the dock we'll take the Longfin. 

My one time getting the elite challenge solo I did it from the airport with Vellum approach. Looted there, grabbed a disguise and hook, and took a motorcycle to the compound. The heist took me around 14 minutes. Not the quickest, but it is possible.

• Like 2
Posted (edited)

Thanks guys. I forgot I could drive through the checkpoint with a guard uniform on. That would be much easier then trying to jump over and sneak to the compound.

I could use the same grappling hook to exit as well correct?

Edited by Taterman
  • Like 2
7 minutes ago, Taterman said:

I could use the same grappling hook to exit as well correct?

Sure can

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Taterman said:

For the grappling hook entry, what is the best infiltration point and route to the compound? I'd like to get the loot at the airstrip hangar first if possible. I'm not that good and looting the main dock or other spots are dicey for me loot-wise.

Just enter where you find a grappling hook; usually either dock or the airfield.

10 hours ago, Aquamaniac said:

You might like this video, you'll see how easy it is, always enter at the right side:

https://streamable.com/oiq9h0

I prefer the left/North side. With a disguise you can run pretty much straight to the office:

https://imgur.com/Pz63VNC

You do *not* have to run into every hedge and fence like I did. 😂

9 hours ago, Taterman said:

Thanks Aqua. The last sentence is pretty much what I've done every time so far.

It sounds like a grappling hook entry is pretty tricky.

Very easy when combined with a guard disguise. Then you don't even need to kill anyone necessarily. When you exit the compound the guard standing outside the gate lets you borrow his motorcycle, too. This is the full heist from the link above; I recorded it to show how easy this method is: https://imgur.com/a/akiyHfw

Edited by SummerFreeze
  • Like 2

This is how I did my grappling hook entry. Takes a lot of planning if you want the best secondaries and depends on where the grappling hooks are located.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies guys. Before reading them, I tried it using the Velum entry for the first time. When I landed, there was a cut scene where a guard walks up, talks for a second and then radios in. The alarm goes off right away. I tried 3 times with and without a mask and the alarm went off immediately every time. Is there a trick to this?

3 hours ago, Taterman said:

Thanks for the replies guys. Before reading them, I tried it using the Velum entry for the first time. When I landed, there was a cut scene where a guard walks up, talks for a second and then radios in. The alarm goes off right away. I tried 3 times with and without a mask and the alarm went off immediately every time. Is there a trick to this?

You must hire support crew that will place your weapons in the hangar.

20 minutes ago, Aquamaniac said:

You must hire support crew that will place your weapons in the hangar.

Ahh, thank you. I knew there was something I was missing.

Wow cool thread. In all honesty, I have never even considered using the grappler as an approach to the compound. But knowing the Cayo Heist really well right now, I can totally see the benefit of scoping the grappler as the entry mechanism. Especially if you're not speedrunning and are mostly doing the heist for fun and trying different strats just for the sheer variety of it.

• Like 2
Posted (edited)
On 3/22/2021 at 1:15 PM, SummerFreeze said:

Just enter where you find a grappling hook; usually either dock or the airfield.

I prefer the left/North side. With a disguise you can run pretty much straight to the office:

https://imgur.com/Pz63VNC

You do *not* have to run into every hedge and fence like I did. 😂

Very easy when combined with a guard disguise. Then you don't even need to kill anyone necessarily. When you exit the compound the guard standing outside the gate lets you borrow his motorcycle, too. This is the full heist from the link above; I recorded it to show how easy this method is: https://imgur.com/a/akiyHfw

Thanks. The Imgur videos won't play for some reason. I even logged in to my account there.

Edit: Actually, the other videos don't work either. I wish I could see them.

Edited by Taterman