1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

How would you feel if the next few GTA's are PERIOD PIECES?

rjmthe2nd

My idea would be,after VI,they should release more IP's and GTA's more frequently with similar core mechanics but different settings and locations,just like VC and SA after III,some of them in a modern era and some of them which visits unique eras.(5-6 years for each GTA,instead of something like 10)

Edited by Ryz 92
3 hours ago, Zello said:

Whenever that first trailer comes out. Half of us will be celebrating and the other half will either be pissed off or crying.

This is the main reason why so many people around here consider GTA V to be a disappointment and it's total rubbish to me.

I wouldn't like the next GTA to be set in the '70s Liberty City or the '90s Miami (just examples) but I try to keep an open mind.

Rockstar doesn't answer to me, you (not you specifically), or anyone else around here. They are going to make an artistical choice and we should try to appreciate it instead of complain or demand something else.

Edited by Wolfman_
English.
On 3/21/2021 at 2:10 PM, Zello said:

Whenever that first trailer comes out. Half of us will be celebrating and the other half will either be pissed off or crying.

I remember thinking GTA V was in VC until vinewood popped up on screen.....my stomach sank.

On 3/21/2021 at 4:11 PM, Ryz 92 said:

My idea would be,after VI,they should release more IP's and GTA's more frequently with similar core mechanics but different settings and locations,just like VC and SA after III,some of them in a modern era and some of them which visits unique eras.(5-6 years for each GTA,instead of something like 10)

I'd love to see them go for a scheduled release format similar to the PS2 era

GTA VI (AAA title) 

•2 year gap

Bully 2 (AA title)

•1 year later

Manhunt: Dark Web (AA title) 

Midnight Club: USA (AAA title) 

Would appease every single corner of Rockstar's fanbase in a perfect world. They'd even have two games to peddle microtransactions in.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
DownInThePMs
Posted (edited)

Most of the period games in the 3D Universe present an ideal, rose-tinted version of the respective decade, and honestly, I miss that feeling. There's a lot of liberties you can take when exploring a certain decade and it adds to the charm and replayability of the game. As much as I liked III, IV and V these games just felt too grounded in reality of that current time period. I feel this is a problem soundtrack-wise as well as setting games in modern times would result in stations encompassing various decades of music, which muddies the main aesthetic of the game.

Edited by DownInThePMs
On 3/21/2021 at 12:26 PM, GTA-Biker said:

I'd love it.I'd probably still play the game if it's set in the modern times,at least unless they really screw something up and it ends up terrible,but after GTA 4, TLAD, TBOGT, CTW and 5,I agree that it would be refreshing to finally get a GTA game not set in the contemporary time (and before someone replies with "GtA 4 wAs SeT iN 2008,ThAt'S nOt MoDeRn AnYmOrE",what I mean is the game being set at around the time of its release).I'm personally hoping for either late 70s, late 80s, mid-late 90s or early-mid 2000s.

I would love an HD era remake of GTA London 1969.

On 3/20/2021 at 11:05 PM, 0909090 said:

Yes, you wouldn't have the internet, but really who cares?

I don’t think people that says they want GTA to be set in modern day really cares about in-game internet that much or at all. The more logical arguments are find is that if the game is set in the present we would get a greater variety of weapons, vehicles, clothings, musics and more dense and developed cities. But I do agree that the game would still be good regardless if it’s set in the 80s/90s, after all GTA Vice City and GTA San Andreas are some of the most beloved games in the series and they are still very fun to play today, especially San Andreas with it’s huge amount of content.

• Like 3

I'd be delighted if VI is a period piece but wouldn't mind if VII is modern again.

The more I think about it Rockstar should set VI between '98 and '02 as this period will soon become really quite nostalgic for a lot of the "original" generation of GTA players. I'd be delighted with other periods but I think Rockstar should think about it.

Jokeman123

I would prefer GTA VI to be set in the past, but I wouldn't care much if it's set modern because it's probably going to be an amazing game regardless

The Green Goo

I hope VI is a period piece. 

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Patrizio said:

I'd be delighted if VI is a period piece but wouldn't mind if VII is modern again.

The more I think about it Rockstar should set VI between '98 and '02 as this period will soon become really quite nostalgic for a lot of the "original" generation of GTA players. I'd be delighted with other periods but I think Rockstar should think about it.

*1998-2004

I wouldn't mind a GTA during that time period.

DownInThePMs
17 hours ago, Patrizio said:

Man, a late-90s Vice City would feel a lot like the first few Bad Boys films. Kinda looking forward to it if that was the case.

The Tracker
Posted (edited)

Honestly the mid-90's (1994-1996) would be the best take, unlike the 80's or early 90's, we have never seen a developed rendition of that era, it wouldn't feel too old and it also wouldn't feel too modern either, but it would feel fresh, just imagine the possibilities regarding the culture... Y2K Hype/Paranoia, Nokia Cell-phones, the early internet and Geocities web-desing style, Hip-hop at its prime. Vice City wouldn't even feel too different:

Edited by The Tracker
Posted (edited)

I'd like a period piece. Or a modern piece without a bloody mobile phone and the internet, both so annoying.

If the team is good then a period and a contemporary setting could both be equally good, but a period one is easier to do.

Arguments against contemporary setting:

- cars are crap

- music is crap

- jokes are too sensitive, out of date or not yet taken in by the population

- doing everything through the phone sucks

1995-2000 as others said would be great, but so would be any other time before that.

Edited by Lioshenka
13 hours ago, Lioshenka said:

- cars are crap

- music is crap

Very debatable, there is a way bigger diversity of cars today, especially when it comes to sport cars. Most cars in the past looked very similar and boxy, but there was also many cars in the past that had pretty memorable designs. When it comes to music, again you would have a greater diversity because you wouldn’t have to worry about songs that didn’t come out yet, but also many agree that songs that we would get in the past were more cool/iconic

30 minutes ago, MrBreak16 said:

Very debatable, there is a way bigger diversity of cars today, especially when it comes to sport cars. Most cars in the past looked very similar and boxy, but there was also many cars in the past that had pretty memorable designs. When it comes to music, again you would have a greater diversity because you wouldn’t have to worry about songs that didn’t come out yet, but also many agree that songs that we would get in the past were more cool/iconic

I'd argue with that. The affordable car financing means that most cars are now about 1-5 years old, and all look like a Vauxhall Astra or Ford Focus. Even BMWs and Mercs which used to be very distinctive now share design elements very similar to the other cars. Only a handful of very expensive cars, like Morgan or XC90 stand out from the crowd really.

20 years ago there were so much more diversity on the roads- due to less affordable finance, more relaxed emissions laws, less of pedestrian protection, better build cars, less of a consumerist culture: we had the new (distinctive looking!) average models like Ford Sierra or VW Golf, but we also had plenty older Ladas, Minis and Peugeout 205s. The 4x4s were also more diverse looking with the older models of Toyota, Mitsubishi, Nissan and Land Rover. Now all 4x4 looks the same really, with their LED lights, plastic mouldings and smooth body shapes.

I can't deny that there are a lot of the sports cars these days, but you wouldn't see them in traffic anyway, they would probably be sitting somewhere in a showroom, and the traffic will be just a flow of your average looking 3 year old models. I wouldn't like the atmosphere on the road.

And if we don't get GTA until 2025 - by then most of the cars will be electric, so all the distinctive engine sounds will also be gone re-placed by an electric whizzing.

Everyone has their own music taste of course, but I didn't like any of the stations in GTA 4 and 5. They are just blunt and empty, with the exception of a few songs - but I wouldn't listen to them continuously. Why would I want to listen to something that I can get on a real radio anyway? The game is supposed to be an escape from the real world, and I don't see a point of paying for something that doesn't provide that. At least with the older settings you can pick iconic music that is widely loved and recognised - but as I said, I don't really argue, because tastes is music are subjective.

• Like 2

People always say that current music is crap. I hear it since the 2000s.

And nowadays (the 2020s) people say that "current music is crap, the 2000s were way better". 

It seems that past is always a synonym for "better" which is just way innacurate.

• Like 2
  • Realistic Steak! 1
DownInThePMs
Posted (edited)
On 3/22/2021 at 4:11 AM, Ryz 92 said:

Honestly, I'd rather they do this than release the samey Online updates over and over. Hell, they could reuse or scale down the existing LC or LS map and do a period piece and make it like an IOS exclusive or something and it would still supplement the HD canon.

Rockstar should really take a step back and re-evaluate the Stories games. Those games share a combination of mechanics from Vice City and San Andreas and yet, they felt like fresh experiences that are more or less a welcome addition to the existing lore. This extends to the IV DLCs and Chinatown Wars as well, where they either use the existing mechanics or take a step back to their roots and can still push out an amazing gameplay and story-based experience.

From a profit standpoint, I just can't see how they can really make a loss considering how easy it is for most gamers to buy DLCs and expansion packs now compared to the 360 Marketplace days. It's 20-50 bucks for a nice extension pack with a great short story and gameplay that would not only appeal to both old and new fans, but I'm 100% certain that they would include some additional multiplayer content for the existing Online as well, so it won't feel like they're basically pulling ideas out of their asses. It's easy money and such a move wouldn't destroy Rockstar's integrity like it's doing right now with the new enhanced and expanded thing.

Edited by DownInThePMs
Posted (edited)
On 5/24/2021 at 2:27 PM, The Tracker said:

Honestly the mid-90's (1994-1996) would be the best take, unlike the 80's or early 90's, we have never seen a developed rendition of that era, it wouldn't feel too old and it also wouldn't feel too modern either, but it would feel fresh, just imagine the possibilities regarding the culture... Y2K Hype/Paranoia, Nokia Cell-phones, the early internet and Geocities web-desing style, Hip-hop at its prime. Vice City wouldn't even feel too different:

I'd love a late 90s/Early 2000s too, it wouldn't feel too old or modern either. In fact I think 2000s is underused which gives Rockstar a perfect opportunity to make something completely orignal and it would also mean people can't say it's same as GTA VC or its 'overused'(whatever that means, we've only had 2 GTA in 80s).

Edited by Orthur The Boah
The Tracker
4 minutes ago, Orthur The Boah said:

I'd love a late 90s/Early 2000s too, it wouldn't feel too old or modern either. In fact I think 2000s is underused which gives Rockstar a perfect opportunity to make something completely orignal and it would also mean people can't say it's same as GTA VC or its 'overused'(whatever that means, we've only had 2 GTA in 80s).

Interestingly enough, we are as far from the early-mid 2000's, as Vice City was from the 80's when it came out. Time sure flies.

17 hours ago, Wolfman_ said:

People always say that current music is crap. I hear it since the 2000s.

And nowadays (the 2020s) people say that "current music is crap, the 2000s were way better". 

It seems that past is always a synonym for "better" which is just way innacurate.

Yeah, I think people have been saying that almost as long as music has existed. It makes even less sense nowadays. There's so many ways for artists to get their music out now that most of them don't even play the radio game anymore. Basically, if you can't find good modern music, you're probably not looking very hard or you're just stubborn.

Another common complaint (in GTA terms) is that "why would I want to drive around listening to music I hear every day?". It's as if their car radio's broken and stuck on the modern hits station or something. It's 2021, literally anything on GTA VI's radio is going to be something you can hear in real life.

• Like 3
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, The Tracker said:

Interestingly enough, we are as far from the early-mid 2000's, as Vice City was from the 80's when it came out. Time sure flies.

Yes, we are and as a person who lived in 2000's I can definitely say, that way more has changed between 80s and 2000's than between 2000's and 2020's.

OT: I would feel great. I miss those period pieces in GTA series.

Edited by Kris194
  • Like 2
The Tracker
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Kris194 said:

Yes, we are and as a person who lived in 2000's I can definitely say, that way more changed between 80s and 2000's than between 2000's and 2020's.

OT: I would feel great. I miss those period pieces in GTA series.

I think 2000-2004 feels very different to modern day (and maybe 2005-2006, more or less), but 2007-2009, not that much, since that era pretty much started most of our current culture, with the massification of smartphones, wi-fi connection, social media, etc. 

Edited by The Tracker
  • Like 3
CynicalMexican

Idk how I feel about this.

"Classic" movies are largely seen as period pieces now, even though they were meant to be present day films.

GTA 3 was a present day game, yet now it's become a period piece of the early 2000s, especially the darkish tone that kinda encapsulated the era (Donnie Darko, Invader Zim).

GTA 4 was a modern day setting that is now a period piece; the vibe very strongly fits the late 2000s recession at the time, and a lot of trends/references there reflect that particular era.

6 minutes ago, The Tracker said:

I feel 2000-2004 feels very different to modern day (and maybe 2005-2006, more or less), but 2007-2009, not that much, since that era pretty much started most of our current culture, with the massification of smartphones, wi-fi connection, social media, etc. 

Yes you're right but mobile phones, internet and many other modern things were still there, they just evolved over last 20 years. Now think about 80s

- almost no one had mobile phone, at all

- internet wasn't a thing, I mean it existed but barely anyone had access to it and it was very, very slow

- most cars were "boxy", nowadays even cheapest car is way more advanced in terms of shape and in terms of tech

- fashion, hairstyles and all that has changed drastically

- sat nav? Some people heard about it, barely anyone saw it back then unless it was a movie or something.

- PC? Not many people could afford it

It's just possible, that I don't find early 2000's that interesting because I remember these times really well but I didn't live in 70s/80s so I couldn't experience it myself but I agree, that it definitely feels like a transition era between analogue-digital and digital world.

• Like 2
Posted (edited)

I'd prefer a modern setting. I don't want a time era that I can't relate to unless it was a distant future setting like GTA2 was... but that happening is unlikely. It's why I don't play VC and SA anymore... they're just too dated and I don't mean graphics and game mechanics I mean the culture depicted.

I don't want to drive boxy cars like the ingot, I want aggressive cars like the coquette d10 or the sugoi. I want satire that I can laugh at in a sense of irony, not jokes that my parents grew up with. I want progression and to keep going forward as I go forward as a person... I do not want to get stuck going backwards into the past.

Edited by Yinepi
  • Like 2
The Tracker
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Yinepi said:

I'd prefer a modern setting. I don't want a time era that I can't relate to unless it was a distant future setting like GTA2 was... but that happening is unlikely. It's why I don't play VC and SA anymore... they're just too dated and I don't mean graphics and game mechanics I mean the culture depicted.

I don't think it's correct to say they are "Dated" when the setting was always set in past in the first place (That's what a "Period Piece" is) I think that would apply more with GTA IV and V, as they were set in the year they came out, and they depicted an humor, culture and ideas that worked back then, but not anymore, meanwhile, games such as VC and SA stay just the same, as they never had the urgency to depict and satirize relevant topics, but things we all knew already, I would say the correct word is "irrelevant"

Edited by The Tracker

Yes that is a better word choice. Just feels weird to say that VC/SA are irrelevant is all.