4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

GTA IV won't start with Vulkan d3d9.dll

Go to solution Solved by Kooldogkid,

Kooldogkid

Hello, I have the retail version of GTA IV and running on Patch 7 and I read and seen some videos of people getting more FPS when they install Vulkan in their game's directory. All you have to do is install d3d9.dll and dxgi.dll from the 32 bit folder and you'll see a massive improvement. Now I'm running on an Intel i5-9400f and GTX 1070 and 16 GB DDR4 ram and I can't get 60 FPS at all so I decided to try it out. When I install the files my GTA IV won't launch. Even if it click GTAIV.exe instead of LaunchGTAIV.exe to see if I would get some error code, but nothing. Not even the use the launcher error. The mouse cursor just does the load symbol then nothing. I decided to delete d3d9.dll and the game booted up. If I use the d3d9.dll from the 64 bit folder the game launches but Vulkan doesn't work as it needs the 32 bit one as GTA IV is 32 bit. I tried to reinstall my drivers, install directx again, update graphics drivers, but nothing. If I use an ENB d3d9.dll it works. It loads the ENB. I tried it on my brother's computer as we both have the same version and mods of the game, and for him the game booted up and he never went under 60 FPS. Vulkan worked. Am I missing something? I have Vulkan installed on my PC as I have RDR2 and run it on Vulkan rather than Directx12. Can anyone help me? I also have Windows 10 Pro.

Kooldogkid

It didn't work. it made it worse by running the game slower and created a yellow hue.

Do you have write permissions in the game folder? Maybe DXVK tries to create cache file and can't. 

As for SweetFX see at the start of SweetFX_settings.txt which shaders are enabled - make sure you have only SMAA enabled. Also try reloading SweetFX in game by pressing Del. I guess it depends on system configuration and driver (HAGS?) as it works OK for me on Windows 7 with GT730.

Kooldogkid
Posted (edited)

How do I make it to give me write permissions? Also see the thing is, is that the moment the game runs with SMAA it goes from 60 FPS to 7 FPS in the game menu. Not while already in single player. It gives me like a yellow grain for 2 seconds and then goes normal but it comes back every 2 seconds. This is a very weird issue as I installed DXVK on LA Noire, Watch Dogs, and GTA V and they ran fine and actually booted up. No stutters in LA Noire in Dx9, but it's weird that GTA IV, the one game that I want more FPS in, doesn't boot up. If I have file explorer opened I can see that DXVK makes a LaunchGTAIV_d3d9 file so the game technically did register DXVK

Edited by Kooldogkid

If file is created then you have write permissions. Right-click the game folder in Explorer and in properties see Permissions.

Do you have GTAIV_d3d9.log and what is your Resource Usage and any commandline.txt ? 

This whole problem looks like a display driver or DirectX issue. Your GPU is much more powerful than mine and I have no fps drop with SMAA. I had similar report with Intel driver where newest version of the driver did not work with DXVK but older version worked OK so maybe installing older version of nVidia driver will help. What you may also try is to disable fullscreen optimizations and set "Windows Vista (sp2)" compatibility mode for GTAIV.exe.

FYI I just got report that dxgi.dll from latest DXVK 1.8.1 may cause launch problems. Apparently game works OK without it so you may remove/rename this file to dxgi.dll.tmp

Kooldogkid

I tried your recommendations and well it didn't solve the issue. I would post the log of LaunchGTAIV_d3d9.txt but when I open it it's just blank. There's nothing there. I tried compatibility with Vista but it didn't work either. I simply can't get it to work at all.

57 minutes ago, Kooldogkid said:

I tried your recommendations and well it didn't solve the issue. I would post the log of LaunchGTAIV_d3d9.txt but when I open it it's just blank. There's nothing there. I tried compatibility with Vista but it didn't work either. I simply can't get it to work at all.

The problem may be with your OS or driver. I got report from a user that after driver update DXVK started working. Try latest Windows build/cumulative update with latest driver. 

Kooldogkid
Posted (edited)

I have Windows 10 20H2 and it was updated on Monday as it did it by itself. I don't know where or how to check if there is a display driver update. NVidia has been updated last week when it came out. I don't know if this may help, but I recently copied Windows 10 from my HDD to an M.2 as my HDD was at the end of its life. I did everything successfully as I got it to boot and everything is working as intended. Could it be possible that maybe some files that DXVK needs may have gotten corrupted on the transfer? I wasn't going to reinstall windows as I have GTA V with loads of mods and numerous games that I wasn't going to spend 3 days downloading them.

Edited by Kooldogkid
13 hours ago, Kooldogkid said:

Could it be possible that maybe some files that DXVK needs may have gotten corrupted

Your system is probably fine. You may reinstall DirectX from offline bundle  just in case. Check guru3d.com, they usually have latest or hotfix drivers. I really don't know what else could it be. It works OK on both my PCs - Win7 x64 with gt730, Win10 20h2 with rx580.

Try rolling back to an older graphics driver? I'm using the integrated graphics and DXVK works with a six-month-old driver but not current.

UPDATE: The latest Intel driver 27.20.100.9466 does work with DXVK 1.8.1

Edited by Magic_Al
  • Solution
Kooldogkid

I finally did it! I got it to boot up with Vulkan. Apparently, I had to reinstall my game to my SSD and the game asked me for a serial number which it didn't ask me last time and when I successfully installed it the game booted up with Vulkan. However, Scripthook or any mods don't boot up. Scripthook on the logs say "Scripthook killed on hooked". Any fix for that? I recently upgraded to an i7 9700k and the game ran 60 FPS without Vulkan and now it kind of seems useless to me at this point.