1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

1.54 Patch Bug Report Thread - 16th March 2021

Spider-Vice

Patch notes (Support says 1.53, but game files say 1.54):

[March 16, 2021] – General / Miscellaneous (PS4 / Xbox / PC)

• General network connectivity improvements

General / Miscellaneous (PC)

• Improvements to PC loading times *Thanks to t0st for his contributions around this part of today's title update

When reporting a bug, please be as descriptive as possible about it and include repro steps to the best of your abilities (if possible). Easier to read, easier to confirm. If you are on PC, describe your environment (hardware, OS, driver version, etc.).

EDIT: April 6th 2021: Xbox version received a new 1.54 patch, no crashes from numerous Character Switching or Find New Session.

Safe to say; It's in the clear.

________________________________________________________________________________________

________________________________________________________________________________________

EDIT: March 17th 2021: the Xbox version has received a 1.2GB patch. Will test once downloaded.

The final response to the ticket I submitted confirms they have reverted the Xbox verison back to 1.53

Platforms affected:

Xbox One Original

Xbox One X - Vouched by @Shiloh Comes

Playing via backwards compatability on Xbox Series X|S appear to ratify these issues - Vouched by @Baiylee & @Len Lfc

Quick Notes

1. Choosing to Find New Session WILL crash the game.

2. Entering GTA: Online via the Character Wheel in Story Mode, WILL crash the game.

EDIT: Xbox Series X doesn't seem to have this problem as vouched by @Len Lfc

3. There is a chance that GTA V will crash when attempting to join GTA Online via the main startup screen.

4. These Spawn Location options seem more likely/guaranteed to result in the game crashing when loading directly into Online via the main startup.

- Last Location

- Mid Range Apartments

- Updated Interior High End Apartments

- Custom High End Apartments

- Stilt Apartments

- 2-Car Garages

- 6-Car Garages

- MC Clubhouses

- Facilities

- Arcades

5. Entering GTA Online via loading into Story Mode, then selecting Invite Only session, will NOT crash the game, but you won't be able to select Find New Session without crashing the game.

Initial discovery:

- Tried lobby switching inside my Arena Workshop, game crashed.

- Tried to go back into Online twice from boot, game crashed both times.

- Tried going Online via Character Wheel from Story Mode, crashed.

- Booted the game up again, finally in a lobby, spawned in my own Nightclub as expected.

- Tried lobby switching again inside Nightclub as a test, it crashed.

- Spawned in Nightclub again, and tried switching lobbies. Game crashed.

Further testing:

1.  Loading into Story Mode then entering into an Invite Only Session seems to be smooth, spawned in Nightclub as expected, selected Find New Session; Game Crashed.

2. To test if this is an Interior related thing, upon next access to Online, I moved outside my Nightclub to the main overworld, switched Spawn Location to "Last Location" and Outit swapped to force initiate a save on the R* cloud servers. Find New Session; Game did NOT crash. (EDIT: Seems like this was a fluke)

3. Proceeded to test Find New Session in a variety of ways, including from within an interior or in the main overworld, from a Public or Invite Only Lobby for every Spawn Location, every test resulted in a crash, some Spawn Locations (listed in the quick notes above) seemed more prone to crashing the game when attempting to join Online directly during the main startup process. This resulted in testing joining Online via the Character Wheel in Story Mode which crash the game 100% of attempts tried, and launching an Invite Only Session did not crash the game once, but would still crash if an attempt to Find New Session was made.

4. Cleared Xbox One cache, game continues to crash when attempting to Find New Session. ||| - Sorry, no luck @Spider-Vice.

5. Out of curiousity, decided to see how closed lobby missions are affected and so tried the most extreme example by setting up a Cayo Perico Heist. Gather Intel and the 5 minimum Prep missions worked fine in an Invite Only lobby. Launched finale Solo from an Invite Only Lobby and started as expected and even dropped me back in an Invite Only session upon completing the finale. Have yet to test what happens if the finale is launched in a Public Lobby...

Current theory:

- Game will crash if attempting to find new session when player is in an interior.

- Game will crash if attempting to Find New Session unless in the main overworld and Spawn Location is set to Last Location

- Something to do with how the newest patch handles memory when loading sessions that the Original Xbox One can't handle with certain Spawn Locations?

- Memory issue tied to the Xbox One models created by the patch?

Edited by Cash 4 Clickbait

1 hour ago, Cash 4 Clickbait said:

Xbox One Original, CRITICAL GTA ONLINE BOOT ISSUE

Quick Notes:

- Only attempt to Find New Session when in the main overworld with your Spawn Location set to: "Last Location"

- Do NOT set your Spawn Location as: "Arcade"

- Tried going Online via Character Swap from Story Mode, crashed.

- Booted the game up again, finally in a lobby, spawned in my own Nightclub as expected.

Spawned in Nightclub again, and tried switching lobbies. Game crashed.

Further testing:

- Loading into Story Mode then entering into an Invite Only Session seems to be smooth, spawned in Nightclub as expected, selected Find New Session; Game Crashed.

- To test if this is an Interior related thing, upon next access to Online, I moved outside my Nightclub to the main overworld, switched Spawn Location to "Last Location" and Outit swapped to force initiate a save on the R* cloud servers. Find New Session; Game did NOT crash.

Current theory: Game will crash if attempting to find new session when player is in an interior.

[Currently testing all Spawn Location options when attempting to Find New Session]

FNSO = Attempting to Find New Session in the main overworld

FNSI = Attempting to Find New Session within an interior

Crashed upon Reboot - requires rebooting into Story Mode, launching an Invite Only Lobby, then changing Spawn Location to allow boot direct into Online

Low End Apartment:

Mid End Apartment:

Original High End Apartment:

Updated High End Apartment:

Custom High End Apartment:

Stilt Apartment:

10 Car Garage:

Galaxy Super Yacht:

Office:

Clubhouse (single storey variant): Crashed FNSO in Public Lobby |

Special Vehicle Warehouse:  Crashed FNSI in Public Lobby | Spawned upon Reboot

Bunker: Crashed FSNO in Public Lobby | Spawned upon Reboot

Hangar: Crashed FNSI in Public Lobby | Spawned upon Reboot

Facility: Crashed FNSO in Public Lobby | Crashed upon reboot

Nightclub: Crashed FNSI in Public & Invite Only Lobbies | Spawned upon reboot.

Arena Workshop: Crashed FNSO in Public Lobby | Spawned upon reboot.

Penthouse: Crashed FNSO in Invite Only lobby | Spawned upon reboot.

Arcade: Crashed FNSI in Public Lobby | Crashed upon reboot

Kosotka: Crashed FNSO in Public Lobby | Spawned upon reboot.

Last Location (when in the main overworld): No Crash FNSO in Public Lobby.

Bruh you just wasting your time. It's nothing to do with interiors. They f*cked joining a public lobby in general. I joined a friend in public lobby and that worked so I got him to invite me to a heist. We did the setup and straight after the platinum/gold screen where it would have spawned me on the street it crashed.

You have 2 options at Xbox right now to get online. Start in story and choose invite only. OR start in story and join a friend to get into public.

FYI nightclub and arena spawns have always been screwed going into public. My 2nd character was stuck for ages like that cos there is no way to swap character AND goto invite only at the same time. Would constantly load in with a screen outside the arena but not go further. Close game and it had forgotten I'd swapped character due to not being able to make a save. 

3 minutes ago, Mdc said:

Bruh you just wasting your time. It's nothing to do with interiors.

Oh I'm sure the root cause isn't Interiors themselves, but the fact that certain interiors as a Spawn Location are consistently crashing the game from the main load screen, I'd rather check which ones are doing that, I mean that whole list is gonna get wiped once I'm done, it's more just on-the-fly notepad.

3 minutes ago, Cash 4 Clickbait said:

Oh I'm sure the root cause isn't Interiors themselves, but the fact that certain interiors as a Spawn Location are consistently crashing the game from the main load screen, I'd rather check which ones are doing that, I mean that whole list is gonna get wiped once I'm done, it's more just on-the-fly notepad.

Going into public full stop from story mode makes it crash though. I also spawned inside some of those interiors in public by joining a friend without a crash. Are you sure it's not putting you in sessions with friends when you don't get the crash?

Likewise out on the street last location join public = crash. They've f*cked the matchmaking code for joining anybody but a friend it seems to me.

Edited by Mdc

Just now, Mdc said:

Are you sure it's not putting you in sessions with friends when you don't get the crash?

Absolutely, no one I'm friends with has played this in years, and there's no one from my Crew on right now.

2 minutes ago, Cash 4 Clickbait said:

Absolutely, no one I'm friends with has played this in years, and there's no one from my Crew on right now.

Well I'm afraid I cant repeat any of what you have found and from my own tests every direct to public from story results in crash no matter what spawn point. And I can spawn anywhere I like going into a invite only or joining a friend. Last location and outside does nothing for me.

16 minutes ago, Mdc said:

Well I'm afraid I cant repeat any of what you have found and from my own tests every direct to public from story results in crash no matter what spawn point. And I can spawn anywhere I like going into a invite only or joining a friend. Last location and outside does nothing for me.

Can confirm the Last Location option will crash the game upon boot and FNS, guess I just got lucky that one time.

1 minute ago, Cash 4 Clickbait said:

Can confirm the Last Location option will crash the game upon boot and FNS, guess I just got lucky that one time.

People are getting in somehow though. I've friends in public sessions I can join off and get in also.... But for me any public session = crash unless I join one

I've been playing with this nonsense on Xbox One X since 10am UK, and so far I've seen the following....

1. Been 100% unable to join a public session from Story Mode - begins to load and after around 20 seconds the loading wheel stops spinning, then it crashes and shuts the app. My spawn location is Exceptionalists Way Garage.

2. Been 100% able to load into Invite Only from Story Mode every single time, no issues at all

3. Been able to load into public session around 50% of the time straight from launch. The other 50% of the time it crashes and shuts the app. Usually works second or third go.

4. NAT Test no longer works.

What a total mess. Hard to believe they could arse their premium product up so badly.

Edit - I don't know if this is any way related, but for around 5 days now, I've been having trouble synching data to the cloud. I play on One X and plug old my One S in overnight to accrue product. When I've been switching them over, I have to manually select which save to use on the One S for a few days. Never had that issue before.

Edited by Shiloh Comes
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Shiloh Comes said:

I've been playing with this nonsense on Xbox One X since 10am UK, and so far I've seen the following....

1. Been 100% unable to join a public session from Story Mode - begins to load and after around 20 seconds the loading wheel stops spinning, then it crashes and shuts the app. My spawn location is Exceptionalists Way Garage.

2. Been 100% able to load into Invite Only from Story Mode every single time, no issues at all

3. Been able to load into public session around 50% of the time straight from launch. The other 50% of the time it crashes and shuts the app. Usually works second or third go.

4. NAT Test no longer works.

What a total mess. Hard to believe they could arse their premium product up so badly. Beginning to believe those who state they just don't care anymore.

When you do get in straight from launch see if you have any friends in session. Seems to be the only thing for me which allows me to get in. How they are getting in public in the first place is beyond me. NAT test also still worked for me but only after my friend had left the session.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mdc said:

When you do get in straight from launch see if you have any friends in session. Seems to be the only thing for me which allows me to get in. How they are getting in public in the first place is beyond me. NAT test also still worked for me but only after my friend had left the session.

No firends there. Just seems to work sometimes and not others. Lobby full of randumbs.

Weird that you can get the NAT to work, I've tried it in at least ten sessions and all the players are still there and I never get the "game ready for GTa etc" notification, which is obviously the sign it worked.

You wifi or cabled? I'm cabled. Not the highest end ISP but not KFC wifi standard either.

I have another question Mdc, did you do the system update they put out this morning yet? I did that first thing, so don't know if that is why you can NAT and I can't.

Edited by Shiloh Comes

9 minutes ago, Shiloh Comes said:

I have another question Mdc, did you do the system update they put out this morning yet? I did that first thing, so don't know if that is why you can NAT and I can't.

I've been testing today on various xbox models with and without the xbox system update, the results have all been the same with regards to game crashes and the NAT Test no longer splitting the session. However certain gamer accounts have had different outcomes with regards to getting into a public session!

3 hours ago, Cash 4 Clickbait said:

Xbox One Original

Quick Notes

1. Choosing to Find New Session WILL crash the game.

2. Entering GTA: Online via the Character Wheel in Story Mode, WILL crash the game.

3. These Spawn Location options seem more likely/guaranteed to result in the game crashing when loading directly into Online upon startup.

- Last Location

- Mid Range Apartments

- Updated High End Apartments

- Custom High End Apartments

- Stilt Apartments

- 2-Car Garages

- 6-Car Garages

- MC Clubhouses

- Facilities

- Arcades

4. Entering GTA Online via loading into Story Mode, then selecting Invite Only session, will NOT crash the game, but you won't be able to select Find New Session without crashing the game.

Initial discovery:

- Tried going Online via Character Swap from Story Mode, crashed.

- Spawned in Nightclub again, and tried switching lobbies. Game crashed.

Further testing:

- Loading into Story Mode then entering into an Invite Only Session seems to be smooth, spawned in Nightclub as expected, selected Find New Session; Game Crashed.

- To test if this is an Interior related thing, upon next access to Online, I moved outside my Nightclub to the main overworld, switched Spawn Location to "Last Location" and Outit swapped to force initiate a save on the R* cloud servers. Find New Session; Game did NOT crash.

Current theory:

- Game will crash if attempting to find new session when player is in an interior.

- Game will crash if attempting to Find New Session unless in the main overworld and Spawn Location is set to Last Location

- Something to do with how the newest patch handles memory when loading sessions that the Original Xbox One can't handle with certain Spawn Locations?

Thanks for being descriptive, very nice! Really wish more people put this effort into investigating certain bugs as it also makes any dev's life easier. :p 

Given varying behaviours, have you guys on Xbox tried to clear your cache (won't delete your saves) just in case it's corrupted data somewhere? You should try and submit tickets to R* Support (even if you get robot answers) as it might get to R* even faster if enough people report it and it truly is widespread.

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Spider-Vice said:

Thanks for being descriptive, very nice! Really wish more people put this effort into investigating certain bugs as it also makes any dev's life easier. :p

Submitted a ticket under Installation/Performance > Crashes with a link to the post as it stands now.

Just been in contact with R* support and tried all sorts of fixes including changing DNS settings (xbone). The support guy concluded that it was an issue that needed to be passed on to a different department, so probably nothing any of us can do other than try to load into an invite only lobby (if you can) and wait for them to figure it out. 

4 hours ago, Cash 4 Clickbait said:

Platforms affected:

Xbox One Original

Xbox One X - Vouched by @Shiloh Comes

Just some input, but I tried this on my Xbox Series X, and it DID NOT crash my game. So, running the Xbox version via backwards compatibility seems fine.

Okcbassist1

I found that from the load screen if you hit RB to access the featured race it loads without crashing and you can then exit (B) into a session

Oh dear I've just started picking up crashes from joining quick jobs from invite only session. Whatever they have done they have ruined the netcode.

1 hour ago, Shiloh Comes said:

No firends there. Just seems to work sometimes and not others. Lobby full of randumbs.

Weird that you can get the NAT to work, I've tried it in at least ten sessions and all the players are still there and I never get the "game ready for GTa etc" notification, which is obviously the sign it worked.

You wifi or cabled? I'm cabled. Not the highest end ISP but not KFC wifi standard either.

I'm cabled. And didn't have dashboard update today but had one a few days ago.

XboxOne... I successfully got to play earlier for a half hour by loading into story mode first then online but when I went to switch sessions it crashed and now crashes all the time even with a reset. I'll just wait it out.

We have a response from the ticket I submitted;

Hello Zak Ras 32,,

Thank you for contacting Rockstar Support.

We understand that you have come across an issue with accessing GTA Online on Xbox one

At this point of time, we would like to inform you that we are aware of this issue and we will look into this for you. We appreciate your time and patience while we work on a fix.

Kindly accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience this has caused.

Also, we would like to thank you for your valuable feedback/suggestions, as they are crucial for us to shape the game as we move forward.

Please feel free to contact us anytime if you have further queries or technical concerns.

It is just a basic "Hello, thank you, sorry, thank you", because I doubt ANYONE at R* was ready for, let alone expecting, what's happened, so it's not like I was gonna get a detailed response, but it IS acknowledgment.

• Like 2

Can confirm that Series X\S are unaffected.

I’m able to join public sessions on both. Haven’t had a crash all day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cash 4 Clickbait said:

We have a response from the ticket I submitted;

It is just a basic "Hello, thank you, sorry, thank you", because I doubt ANYONE at R* was ready for, let alone expecting, what's happened, so it's not like I was gonna get a detailed response, but it IS acknowledgment.

Last time a triple A games developer take advice and tips from the modding community I suppose... What to do but laugh about it now though LOL.

• Like 1
  • KEKW 1

15 minutes ago, Mdc said:

Last time a triple A games developer take advice and tips from the modding community I suppose... What to do but laugh about it now though LOL.

Bizarre day to say the least. I was a systems analyst in a former life covering networks and warehouse management systems and the idea of still being in the doo-doo over 12 hours later without a fix or rollback would have got me fired somewhere around hour 4.

If this was costing them money with a whole operation sitting idle, trust me, it would be done by now.

As you say though, gotta keep smiling.

4 minutes ago, Shiloh Comes said:

Bizarre day to say the least. I was a systems analyst in a former life covering networks and warehouse management systems and the idea of still being in the doo-doo over 12 hours later without a fix or rollback would have got me fired somewhere around hour 4.

If this was costing them money with a whole operation sitting idle, trust me, it would be done by now.

As you say though, gotta keep smiling.

Well, if Rockstar addressed the problem now, they would still be required to go through Microsoft’s certification process before a TU goes live. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, VideoTech_ said:

Well, if Rockstar addressed the problem now, they would still be required to go through Microsoft’s certification process before a TU goes live. 

Yes, I appreciate that. You are of course correct. I was just making the point that when millions an hour are at stake, it's amazing how quickly ANYTHING can be bypassed.

But, it's just a game, not big business, and people can still get on with some hassle, so it's not really the same. I suppose it's just disappointing that something that crashes the game (which let's face it, is not exactly a spurious issue, it's right there smacking you in the face when you test it) gets through.

15 minutes ago, VideoTech_ said:

Would the cetification be required if they wanted to Downdate the game, I wonder? Because what did this update actually provide other than t0st's fix?

The internal game version changed to 1.54 (despite the article in Support saying 1.53), so downgrading the game would probably make it incompatible with anything else they've updated remotely. It might be an option if they can prove the issue is widespread I'm assuming though.

Not sure how cert for hotfixes works tbh.

Did some test work on Xbox one X and came up with Something interesting

-I primarily use my Second character more and When I went to change character's to my male character we shall say, My entire game crashed and wouldn't let me load into Gta online at all Until I changed back to the female character

-Deleting and trying to make new male character has same results

-GTA online loads fine on female yet to test lobby swapping  (Will come back with results) up: yeah no completely crashes the game 

this is probably just me but I thought I'd let you all know what I've noticed 

Edited by shatterNZ