3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Paid for mods, a good idea or bad?

extremo69

Who are these people that pay for mods and why would you do that? Something I've noticed is the LSPDFR community and a lot of discord groups are selling skins... For what they are they aren't cheap one bit. I found a jumpable plate carrier for the female multiplayer character that is $10. Hell, I saw one discord server selling an outfit pack for $20. What the f*ck is going on here!? Why would anyone want to pay that much for a f*cking mod? I took issue games like Saints Row releasing paid for outfits but at least they were around maybe a dollar, Rainbow Six Siege and Modern Warfare have released skins that you can only get with real money but at least they don't have an absurd price. Here's another issue, they're locking the model so nobody edits it for fear of it impacting their revenue even though the 3D models they're using were from somewhere else. In some cases that's illegal so I don't see why they'd get their panties in a bunch over someone editing it and releasing their own take on it. I can't see paid for mods being a good thing for the GTA modding community, the Skyrim modding community clearly saw a problem with it but what do you think?

5 hours ago, extremo69 said:

Who are these people that pay for mods and why would you do that? Something I've noticed is the LSPDFR community and a lot of discord groups are selling skins... For what they are they aren't cheap one bit. I found a jumpable plate carrier for the female multiplayer character that is $10. Hell, I saw one discord server selling an outfit pack for $20. What the f*ck is going on here!? Why would anyone want to pay that much for a f*cking mod? I took issue games like Saints Row releasing paid for outfits but at least they were around maybe a dollar, Rainbow Six Siege and Modern Warfare have released skins that you can only get with real money but at least they don't have an absurd price. Here's another issue, they're locking the model so nobody edits it for fear of it impacting their revenue even though the 3D models they're using were from somewhere else. In some cases that's illegal so I don't see why they'd get their panties in a bunch over someone editing it and releasing their own take on it. I can't see paid for mods being a good thing for the GTA modding community, the Skyrim modding community clearly saw a problem with it but what do you think?

Here's my thoughts as someone who spent 25+ years as a professional game developer and almost 40 years as someone who creates things for free outside employed work.

People started charging for mods because they mistakenly believed they were creating something worth money. If they were good enough to earn money from what they do, they would have a job doing it. But let's face it "Look at these stolen models I rigged, aren't I great... give me a job" isn't going to get anyone across the front step of any development studio. I have worked in studios where people have turned up with stolen work, or sent stolen work in their portfolio and they were laughed out of the building.

Some of these people are also scammers, charging people for models they are allegedly buying, only for them to be using free models ripped from another game. Or in some cases, taking money and then delivering nothing at all, disappearing into the night, never to be seen again. There's a saying about a fool and his money...

There are some people who are doing nothing more than changing game file values, then locking those changes behind a Patreon paywall. Some of them earning stupid amounts of money each month as a result. Anyone putting any game files behind a Patreon paywall should be prosecuted in my opinion. But because Patreon are as big a crook as some of their users, that will never happen... much like Discord.

Others are hiding behind the "Give me money to keep me motivated" or "If you support me, I will keep updating the mod". Anyone who needs money to be motivated to do something creative, that they had already started doing, is a fake. Anyone who will only update a mod if people pay them is a crook, because that's nothing short of blackmail.

The creator of ZModeler3 goes out of his way to protect models that have been stolen from elsewhere... from being stolen. They level of hypocrisy in that is astonishing, he's like the back-alley fence that allows thieves to sell stolen goods. And he only does that because he's getting paid to do that. Go figure... Anyone who actively protects stolen work, is no better than the thief who stole it.

I write script mods, from scratch, for free. The one I am currently working on has taken over six weeks so far and I still won't charge a single penny for it. If I didn't want to do it, you couldn't put enough money on the table to change my mind. I would never charge for a mod and I will never pay for a mod. I actually did a custom script for someone once, I asked for one of the models this other modder created in return, as a "gesture". They wanted me to tell people I had paid for it, because seemingly their time was worth money but mine wasn't.

They used to say that if you bought pirated content (like DVDs and Blu-Ray) you were funding crime... people didn't care. If you are a Patron of someone who creates mods using stolen content, you are funding crime... but people won't care. There are enough people devoid of any sense of morality (and worth), who will pay for anything they *want*, no matter how bad, no mater how illegal... that's why paid modding exists.

And to be clear here, if someone creates something from scratch, without any copyrighted content being involved in any way shape or form, then I have no issues with whatever they decide to charge for their work. My issue is thieves and scammers profiting from crime, and the back-alley trash that helps them protect their crimes.

• 1 month later...