1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

Rockstar confirmed Niko was Serbian a few years ago

Retro_Causality

Retro_Causality

Rockstar-response.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=74

i remember seeing this, no more debate if he is croatian, bosnian, slovenian, slovakian etc.... he is serbian

billiejoearmstrong8

To be fair they also confirmed it before the very first mission of GTA IV even started when Roman and Niko spoke Serbian to each other and Roman said in reference to Niko's English "better than my Serbian". 

The thing is although he's obviously confirmed to be Serbian by ethnicity by multiple things in the game that doesn't necessarily mean he's from Serbia - just that he's from a country of the former Yugoslavia with a Serbian population. Could be Serbia but could also be Bosnia or Croatia for example (based on all the info in the game him being a Serb from Bosnia seems most likely to me). The point of them not explicity saying exactly where he's from or focusing on it in the game or in interviews about the game is that it isn't important to the story, and that people from many different areas and different "sides" could have a similar story. Doesn't mean it's a huge secret, they put enough in the game that you can figure it out yourself.

If that reply is even real who knows what random employee it's from. I think the main point being made was just that he's Serbian not Russian, and although they mentioned Serbia I don't think it's really meant as a big a reveal or to pinpoint the location more closely than before, they just meant the area where Niko - a Serb - is from is quite a distance from Russia. 

• Like 3
Legomanarthur

I'm just glad that we can finally put this topic to rest knowing that Rockstar finally acknowledged the fact that Niko is indeed not Russian. It took some time but we finally got there in the end.

slimeball supreme

Sjw epically destroyed in very real support message you cannot find anywhere

billiejoearmstrong8
11 hours ago, Legomanarthur said:

I'm just glad that we can finally put this topic to rest knowing that Rockstar finally acknowledged the fact that Niko is indeed not Russian. It took some time but we finally got there in the end.

"I ain't Russian" - Niko Bellic, 2008

You'd think that would've been enough

• Like 1

Nah... it´s fake, none post in R* Support community is not downvoted to hell lol, I have seen a lot of legit and good posts downvoted there, so that type of post...should have like -15 votes or else lol, R* Support community is like a hellhole lol, that´s why I don´t ask nothing there and I contact R* directly

The fact is 

Niko's nationality is never specified in the game, and has been a subject of some debate.[2] Prior to the game's launch, it was believed by some that he was RussianSerbian or Croatian.[3][4][5] Executive producer Sam Houser spoke on the matter saying that Niko is "from that grey part of broken-down Eastern Europe", suggesting that Niko's nationality was left intentionally vague or to the interpretation of the player.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niko_Bellic

If Niko had been Serbian from the start the first song in the game would have been by Nataša Bekvalac, Roman would have listened to Belgrade FM, loading music would have been called Balkan Connection and Brucie would have praised Niko's Kopnena vojska Srbije training. The strangest thing is the game starts with a song by Глюк'оза, Roman listens to Vladivostok FM, loading music is called Soviet Connection, Brucie praises Niko's Red Army training. I do not deny the character is Serbian now but my guess is that he was intended to be Russian and after V.Mashkov who the character was modeled after refused to participate he was hastily made Serbian. 

billiejoearmstrong8

Yeah I think the protagonist was possibly originally intended to be Russian, or they hadn't decided exactly where in Eastern Europe he would be from right from the start.

I dunno about hastily though, there's really a lot of detail included that pinpoints him as Serbian and nothing I can think of that contradicts it that was accidentally left in or whatever. Some speaking Serbian included, tons of backstory, and the dynamics between him and Russian/Albanian/certain other characters that wouldn't be the same if he was Russian. It's not strange for them to listen to Vladivostok FM as it also makes sense for other Eastern Europeans/people who speak a language in the same family as Russian in general to listen to that station (as it is meant to be an Eastern European rather than just Russian station - the host/singer of one song is Ukrainian and sings in Ukrainian, Seryoga is from Belarus, and they mention a caller from Poland between songs). That station was meant to cater to the immigrant population of Hove Beach (ie mostly Russians but also other Eastern Europeans) rather than Roman/Niko specifically. Brucie mentioning the "Red Army" just goes along with the many other times American characters aren't knowledgable about Eastern Europe and say generalising/dumb things imo (eg when Niko gets called a "Polack" ignorantly or the gun store owner assumes he's Russian and he corrects him). They might've made some plans for him to be Russian when Vladimir Mashkov was on the cards but I don't think the Serbian part was a rush job, really the only thing left in is the Soviet Connection song and even the Sasha character Mashkov played that Niko was inspired by was Serbian. 

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8
  • Like 2
6 hours ago, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

there's really a lot of detail included that pinpoints him as Serbian

I agree they included enough Serbian language lines and backstory details for Niko. What I find hard to believe is:

- There is no Serbian diaspora in Hove Beach - the only Serbians in LC are Roman and Florian who hardly speak the language. It is highly unusual for illegal Serbian immigrant fresh off the boat to start working for Russian mob and not for Serbian mob. The reason is simple - they had time just enough to add several Serbian lines for Niko but did not have the time to create/convert Serbian mob characters and their missions.

- There is no Serbian radiostation and music in soundtrack. If we agree that Vladivostok FM is a generic Eastern Europe radiostation then where are Serbian pop songs? There is not a single one in the game with Serbian protagonist. Looks like they were simply not in the picture and when (if at all) they entered the picture it was late.The thing is music licensing and clearance takes time and they simply did not have enough time to clear Serbian music. I doubt that licensing Serbian songs is more expensive than exSoviet ones (Ukraine, Belarus).

billiejoearmstrong8
9 hours ago, ant_sh said:

I agree they included enough Serbian language lines and backstory details for Niko. What I find hard to believe is:

- There is no Serbian diaspora in Hove Beach - the only Serbians in LC are Roman and Florian who hardly speak the language. It is highly unusual for illegal Serbian immigrant fresh off the boat to start working for Russian mob and not for Serbian mob. The reason is simple - they had time just enough to add several Serbian lines for Niko but did not have the time to create/convert Serbian mob characters and their missions.

- There is no Serbian radiostation and music in soundtrack. If we agree that Vladivostok FM is a generic Eastern Europe radiostation then where are Serbian pop songs? There is not a single one in the game with Serbian protagonist. Looks like they were simply not in the picture and when (if at all) they entered the picture it was late.The thing is music licensing and clearance takes time and they simply did not have enough time to clear Serbian music. I doubt that licensing Serbian songs is more expensive than exSoviet ones (Ukraine, Belarus).

Yeah it would've been cool to have a few more Serbian characters around and a couple Serbian songs on Vladivostok.

However I think it might've been a deliberate choice that there's not a big Serbian community to welcome Niko. I think Hove Beach and Vladivostok FM (which is based in Hove Beach to cater to the population) is more about reflecting that real life Brighton Beach, NYC that has a large Russian population (other Eastern Europeans too, but mostly Russian) than necessarily having much to do with what the protagonist's nationality happens to be. It's realistic that he comes to Hove Beach because there's lots of Eastern European immigrants there, but it's also realistic that there's lots of Russians and not lots of Serbians, and that there's a (mostly) Russian radio station there and not a Serbian one, because that's just NYC/LC.

Furthermore, it would've been a different story/different dynamics if he worked for a Serbian organisation rather than dealing with Russians and Albanians. If he'd arrived with a Serbian organisation/community to welcome him he wouldn't have been as much of an outsider and would've been tied to one organisation through loyalty much more. I think part of the final choice to make him Serbian could've been influenced by wanting him to be a true outsider where it's just him and Roman against the world. 

I do agree the lack of additional Serbian characters and any Serbian music (plus a song written for the game about a Russian coming to LC lol) indicates they likely had plans for the protagonist to be Russian at some point. But I don't think it affected the final game significantly. 

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

I don't think it affected the final game significantly. 

I agree, M.Hollick did outstanding job.

• Like 2
Panzermann11
18 hours ago, StuntGames said:

.I believe it is fake.

Would've been nice if there was a link to this. Only a picture with no source of it isn't gonna do jack.

• 2 weeks later...

As someone who's Serbian (I'm very mixed and wasn't even born here but whatever) this debate is pretty old lol. I'm not a nationalist but it's pretty clear Niko is Serbian, despite Serbian being essentially the same as Croatian and Bosnian there are some words that differentiate it which Niko does use, but Niko's Serbian is kinda crap, let's ignore that, he's a Bosnian Serb, which means he would speak Serbian akin to what Serbs in Bosnia speak it, yet he speaks the Serbian from Serbia, and even when he speaks it close to what actual Serbian sounds like, it sounds like he's speaking in the Niš dialect which is from eastern Serbia, away from Bosnia, lmao.

The Rockstar support thing is legit and it was posted in many places before with different people taking screenshots, I remember when it happened couple years back. Don't have the link though honestly.

Now as for legitimate proof: He was already confirmed to be Serbian in the first mission when Roman says "better than my Serbian", Billy literally says that Niko is "a Serb" in TLaD's "It's War" mission, the dart Niko uses in darts has the Serbian flag.

Edited by lol232
  • Like 3