1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

Should i play GTA Vice City if i don't know anything about the 80's?

Accuracy_challenges

Accuracy_challenges

I am from 2002. Needless to say, i don't have a lot of memories regarding the 1980's.

I liked GTA San Andreas but should it try Vice City if i don't remember the 80's?

LeatherJacketSoldier

Hell, I did. Then during the game I learnt a thing or two about the 80's. If you wanna know a bit more, then check the trivias for the game and its missions. There are many references to Scarface and to The Godfather (parts I and II), I encourage you to see these movies first. I watched The Godfather Saga after beating the game, and didn't watch Scarface yet, but I think that watching the movies first you'll enjoy even more the playing experience.

Just now, LeatherJacketSoldier said:

Hell, I did. Then during the game I learnt a thing or two about the 80's. If you wanna know a bit more, then check the trivias for the game and its missions. There are many references to Scarface and to The Godfather (parts I and II), I encourage you to see these movies first. I watched The Godfather Saga after beating the game, and didn't watch Scarface yet, but I think that watching the movies first you'll enjoy even more the playing experience.

And I'm from 1999, but several movies and series from 1970-2000 passed in front of my eyes. And several songs from 1960 to the present day entered my ears, but that goes off-topic (though a mission, Psycho Killer, is named after the song from Talking Heads).

• Like 2
BrainDeadRaven

Totally. Think of this way, I don't know alot of people born ancient vikings, but people apparently enjoy playing it, despite not having any memory ancient viking exploration lol.

With that said, I'm entertained by the fact that a generation will understand the 80's through the lens of Vice City, Think of it as a parody of it, but a solid one.

Accuracy_challenges
2 hours ago, BrainDeadRaven said:

Totally. Think of this way, I don't know alot of people born ancient vikings, but people apparently enjoy playing it, despite not having any memory ancient viking exploration lol.

With that said, I'm entertained by the fact that a generation will understand the 80's through the lens of Vice City, Think of it as a parody of it, but a solid one.

This is not a very good comparison, to be honest. There are no people alive that remember the Middle Ages, but there are still billions of people on Earth that remember the 80's. So naturally, with vikings, video game makers have a little more breathing space because no one will point out "Hey, that's not how i remembered the siege of Paris back in 885!"

So i think my preoccupation was justified. I once heard a person from 1995 say "San Andreas was the first GTA i liked. The first 2 were too old school, i got bored of III, and Vice City was built on nostalgia i didn't have"

Nonetheless, thank you for your advice. I shall try to treat Vice City, if i play it, as a parody and not reality.

• Like 1

This is the same as asking Should i play Red Dead Redemption if i don't know anything about the 1900's.

the beauty about games are they can take you to any era and you can experience that era and enjoy it, so I say give it a try and dont wait on other peoples opinions. Especially for a game as good as Vice City

• Like 2

Of course you can, I never watched Miami Vice, never saw any Godfather movie and it never prevented me from enjoying GTA Vice City.

LeatherJacketSoldier
15 hours ago, Evil empire said:

Miami Vice

I almost forgot this one. Didn't watch it, but, Are there references to the series in GTA Vice City?

15 hours ago, Evil empire said:

Godfather

Hey, make sure you see at least the first two movies. You don't even imagine what you're missing. The third one isn't that great, but a perfectionist guy like me should see the three movies.

Edited by LeatherJacketSoldier
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, LeatherJacketSoldier said:

I almost forgot this one. Didn't watch it, but, Are there references to the series in GTA Vice City?

The game is basically a love letter to Scarface and Miami Vice. Lance's voice actor is Philip Michael Thomas who was the voice actor of Tubbs in Miami Vice. The intro also makes reference to Miami Vice (the car chase image) and Emotion 98.3 plays Crockett's Theme which was composed for Miami Vice.

Edited by GhettoJesus
PsyWarVeteran

Are you serious?

I don't think anyone's from the Wild West, maybe no one should play RDR?

• KEKW 2
LeatherJacketSoldier
6 hours ago, PsyWarVeteran said:

Are you serious?

I don't think anyone's from the Wild West, maybe no one should play RDR?

Sadly I can't. My PC can't even run GTA IV, despite being the best PC in the market in 2009.

THEGTAGUY4

You'll learn a thing or two by playing it,i did

• Like 1
PsyWarVeteran
On 3/4/2021 at 4:22 PM, LeatherJacketSoldier said:

Sadly I can't. My PC can't even run GTA IV, despite being the best PC in the market in 2009.

You missed the point.

LeatherJacketSoldier
On 3/5/2021 at 4:21 PM, PsyWarVeteran said:

You missed the point.

Yeah, got carried away lol

VC Vigilante
On 3/3/2021 at 7:39 AM, Wayne Kerr said:

Also the name of the game and the in game city is a reference to the show too :p

After 18 years I just realized that about a month ago knowing full well how much influence Miami Vice had in the creation of VC, wild :kekw:.

• KEKW 3
  • 4 weeks later...
Panzermann11

Not just playing Vice City, though. There's some other things you could do, like playing NES games and watch 1980's movies, TV shows and commercials.

On 3/2/2021 at 10:14 PM, LeatherJacketSoldier said:

Plenty

cP4tmEw.png

BkbbQMH.jpg

BJkzE60.png

8QQ20i4.jpg

x9oMq0F.jpg

2Pw0DoT.jpg

eQo8Lry.jpg

qP8sBMK.jpg

behoQx6.jpg?1

Edited by Zello
  • Like 4
LeatherJacketSoldier
8 hours ago, Zello said:

Plenty

cP4tmEw.png

BkbbQMH.jpg

BJkzE60.png

8QQ20i4.jpg

x9oMq0F.jpg

2Pw0DoT.jpg

eQo8Lry.jpg

qP8sBMK.jpg

behoQx6.jpg?1

Whoaaa!!! Amazing! One more reason to start watchng Miami Vice. Last reason to acquire is "enough free time".

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Why does that even bothers you? 1st time i played Vice City i was 6 years old, played it on a crappy ass computer in a Lan House 800 kilometers-far from my house without knowing jacksh*t about the 80's in Miami, just enjoy the game, you don't need to know about Compton Gangster culture in the 90's to enjoy San Andreas

It's up to you, if you want something more earlier game setting, switch to SA, IV or V

I think most people didn't know about the 80's when they played it growing up. I know I didn't.

Vice City is one of the reasons I actually got interested in 80's fashion, music etc. Growing up in the 90's, I was not around for all that.

Yes you should play it.

Being 70's child and 80's teen it was a real blast to play VC when it was released.

I used to wake up often on the weekdays at least hour earlier than normally, to play VC before heading to work. I felt completely immersed, taken back in time.

I don't think you will be able to appreciate the game for same reasons, simply because it's impossible to understand how well they nailed the mood and vibe of the era.

But it doesn't mean you couldn't enjoy playing it, you say you liked SA and it's about early 90's, which was still before your birth.

The biggest diehard 80s nostalgia peeps on the internet born after the 80s have, to some degree, been influenced by this game so yeah I don't see how that should dissuade you from playing it.

It's just a fun game that just happens to be set in the 80s and doesn't really go into the socio-political aspects of the decade. My advice is to just appreciate the neon-lit scenery and period fashion/vehicles/soundtrack for what they are and don't think too much on it.

Edited by DownInThePMs
  • Like 1

Born in 1992, I would suggest playing this game purely for its soundtrack by far is one of the best in any of the GTA's! I understood a few of the references, my dad watched a lot of those classic shows, Knight Rider, Miami Vice, The A-Team, etc so that meant I watched them too but I didn't get all the references but that doesn't mean you shouldn't play it. Don't be so harsh on yourself! 😆