1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

Massive technical issues on PC recently

Icho_Tolot

I have awful framedrops, buildings getting transparent and crashes every 10 to 15 minutes to desktop. 3700x, RTX 2080. Every other game -including Red Dead - is running well.

Changing to latest drivers just made the situation worse.

Does this happen in Online, Story mode or both?

If only in Online (public), it could be other players with mod menus.

If it also happens in Story mode or Invite-Only, verify your game files.

Edited by AirWolf359
Edificator

I'm also getting frequent crashes since the last update. Never had any issues before.

[2021-03-01 19:12:20.556] [DISPLAY] [Main ] [sysinfo] OS Version: Major: 10 Minor: 0 Build: 19042 Service Pack: 
[2021-03-01 19:36:20.395] [DISPLAY] [12560] [gamelaunch] Game exited with code 0xc0000005 (3221225477)
[2021-03-01 19:36:20.395] [DISPLAY] [12560] [crashdetection] Game left no exit file.
[2021-03-01 19:36:20.395] [ ERROR ] [12560] [crashdetection] Exit code 0xc0000005 indicates a fatal game exit (reason: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION)

RTX 2080, 18GB RAM, i7, Win10, latest drivers & updates...

Online, Invite only session, playing solo

Crashed so far when collecting treasure in Toreador, in middle of CP Heist scope-out, etc.

Just exits to Launcher.

There's also quite a few similar reports on Reddit (a google search took me there).

General consensus is it's a bug, so hopefully the next update will fix it?

Edited by Edificator
Icho_Tolot
On 2/28/2021 at 10:45 AM, AirWolf359 said:

Does this happen in Online, Story mode or both?

If only in Online (public), it could be other players with mod menus.

If it also happens in Story mode or Invite-Only, verify your game files.

Online. This has nothing to do with mod menus. It happens in solo public lobbies as  well as in invite only lobbies.

In the morning it was pretty ok. Now in the european evening 2 crashes each after 10 mins of playing.

In the middle of a 4.4 Mio crates sale. Thank you rockstar. you are doing great.

I'm really angry how less rockstar now cares about this game, especially on PC.

Edificator

Ran the file integrity checker thing via the Launcher, everything seemed to be going ok, managed to get through a CP heist scopeout mission, quality as excellent as ever. Then I got back, changed DJs at my nightclub, went back into office, and boom, crashed again 😞

There's like a brief stutter, then freeze, then it just disappears.

The error from the launcher log is always as above:

[ ERROR ] [12560] [crashdetection] Exit code 0xc0000005 indicates a fatal game exit (reason: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION)

Links to those threads on Reddiit, all from the past few days (i.e. others are also experiencing it)

https://www.reddit.com/r/gtaonline/comments/lu9nam/gta_online_crashing/

https://www.reddit.com/r/gtaonline/comments/ltorh6/anyone_else_getting_random_crashes_on_gta_online/

https://www.reddit.com/r/gtaonline/comments/lsh5p9/gta_online_crashes_0xc0000005_fatal_game_exit/

https://www.reddit.com/r/gtaonline/comments/ltsnrf/game_crashing/

https://www.reddit.com/r/gtaonline/comments/lt1ddc/gta_online_keeps_crashing/

Edificator

Ok, so I just managed to run a good 3 hour session with no crash.

Did the CP heist disruption missions, plus acquired weapons and cutting torch.

Also did a few other things inbetween (nightclub management, modded some vehicles, etc.)

All I changed was Settings => Audio => Pause audio on focus loss = off

Not sure if that was relevant though. Maybe?

Will let you know if it crashes again.

Edificator

Ugh, just crashed again. This time whilst idling for a few minutes.

Hopefully they'll release a patch soon.  Even a rollback would be nice...

Edited by Edificator
Icho_Tolot

Nothing better here too. For some reasons i was able to play a 2 hour session. Next session a crash after 5 minutes again without any error message.

I tried all the usual turnarounds nothing helps.

Edificator

Yes, I managed a 2+ hour session last night without any crash.

I tried deleting local profile as suggested in one of those Reddit threads (Launcher => Settings => Account Info)

and then signed in again, but I still got that one crash in the session before last.

I'm surprised there's only three of us experiencing it here.

Are there plenty of PC users on here not getting any crashes?

If yes, then maybe it's system/hardware specific (e.g. RTX)?

Edited by Edificator

Okay so... 
I can load up the game with cheats, give mad amounts of money every hour for hours on end in a private session, and the game never crashes... but if I go on without any cheats at all, the game might randomly crash without word or warning? It's not like I have ANY "protections" enabled when cheating in this way and yet it's still fine...

GG - good going Rockstar! 

Edited by Gaffa
Edificator

Just got 2 crashes in a row in the middle of CP finale :-(

Is there any word of an official acknowledgment or incoming fix?

I have been playing this game for a little while now on PC, but for about a week now I keep getting this same problem, it just randomly quits to the desktop.

halifaxbboy

I play the PS4 version on the PS5 and I’ve been having quite a few issues myself the past couple weeks.

Cars spawning in front of me when driving, garage menu not popping up when calling the mechanic, NPC’s glitching through the ground, Cayo Perico scope out mission not activating when flying over the docks/airport area, slower than normal loading times, laggy lobbies.

Edificator
59 minutes ago, MaddenedGhost said:

I have been playing this game for a little while now on PC, but for about a week now I keep getting this same problem, it just randomly quits to the desktop.

25 minutes ago, halifaxbboy said:

I play the PS4 version on the PS5 and I’ve been having quite a few issues myself the past couple weeks.

Cars spawning in front of me when driving, garage menu not popping up when calling the mechanic, NPC’s glitching through the ground, Cayo Perico scope out mission not activating when flying over the docks/airport area, slower than normal loading times, laggy lobbies.

Yes, I've been playing the game for 6 years - with a break of a couple of years inbetween - and apart from an actual hardware issue a couple of years back where I needed to replace a hard drive, I've never had any issues. I've even upgraded graphics card recently, and even with only 2.5gb of 8gb being used, the game was running awesomely up until the last update a week or so ago.

As you say, the crash is totally random.

I've also seen that issue where sometimes you reach the waypoint and the CP scopeout doesn't trigger.

• Like 1
MechanicMammal
2 hours ago, halifaxbboy said:

Cars spawning in the way is something I always remember happening on every version of the game I have played.

And loading into different lobbies has always been random in how long it could take (1 minute, 5 minutes all the way to infinity) I guess that now your used to the normally fast PS5 loading times it is more noticable.

Most of these problems I personally believe are due to the p2p servers just not being a good idea, because you are always at mercy to other peoples internet speed, hardware etc instead of running directly off a central server.

Also being P2P makes it easier for modders etc to continue to ruin the PC version of the game.

• Like 1
Edificator

Hmm, no crashes with my last 3 sessions.

A serverside fix has been implemented maybe?

Is there a pattern to these crashes, are you attempting to do something specific? Or are they truly random? Haven't played for long in a bit so can't say I've experienced crashing personally.

Timsalabimbo
51 minutes ago, Spider-Vice said:

Is there a pattern to these crashes, are you attempting to do something specific? Or are they truly random? Haven't played for long in a bit so can't say I've experienced crashing personally.

Completely random for me, although they haven't happened at all for me these last few days, and the game seems to be running smoother again as well.

• Like 1

Last Friday my game crashed once in this format... and then as the game was loading up a second time, it literally CTD'd again during the initial loading screens to single player. 
You can't even get messed with by a modder in those loading screens (at least not for a long time or it's guaranteed to cause a ban or whatever). 

I only noticed this start to happen since the latest DLC patch on the 10th of February. Prior to that things were fine. 

• Like 1
halifaxbboy
6 hours ago, Spider-Vice said:

For me it’s been random. It hasn’t always been this way. Just the last couple weeks really. Prior to playing on the PS5, I could count on one hand how many times the game crashed or glitched on the PS4. Barely any issues or complaints  other than frame rate drops. And hardly any issues playing on the PS5 from Nov to Jan. But the last 2-3 weeks...  I’ve lost count  lol

I just created an account to tell that I also have the same problem, I never had any crashes since i got the game for free on Epic Games but since I started playing again a couple of weeks ago I had some crashes maybe once or twice max for about 2 to 3 hours of playing, a few week ago my friend on his laptop couldnt play the game at all online with infinite loading times, crashing when loading the map as he was moving... Thought it was his bad connection but then 2 days ago it became unplayable for me too. Now I can't play the game for more than 15 mins before it crashes. I have a good connection, decent pc with rtx 2060 super and no issues with oher games, and temps are fine I checked. I am trying to find a solution but I think its just that R* has to fix his sh*t .

Where can you see if there are updates or patches to the game and the servers ? Maybe there is a tracker for the patches and hotfixes ?

This crashing nonsense is driving me crazy. I've submitted several tickets with cookie cutter responses. Unbelievably friggin' annoying.

Hazzardtohimself

Since the end of last week (tunabowl Thursday) I've experienced a number of unusual errors. RSC version. 

• A non-starter of a Cayo Perico scope out mission (Velum didn't trigger in the corona south of the port). 
  • Two different freezes and crashes to desktop (one during a scope out, and one randomly in freeroam). 
  • And one especially odd instance where I 'left my CEO circle behind' on the minimap, and couldn't enter any properties or even the pause menu! I tried to resolve the issue by having my 'toon take a dive off an overpass, but then I was stuck looking at the greyscale death screen until I ended GTA through the task manager. 

S'weird. I haven't reported the issue to Rockstar, because what's the point? 

So small update, after about 3 days I can play pretty much normally now. I had one crash for a whole evening of playing ( about 3-4 hours) and at another time no crashes at all. I did not change anything to my computer just did not lauch the game at all for a few days, so I can't give you any advice guys besides pray for rockstar to solve your particular issue.

Does anyone know if today’s title update fixed this issue? Haven’t properly played the game since this crap started and I need my fix!

suicidal_banana
On 3/16/2021 at 5:19 PM, theNGclan said:

Does anyone know if today’s title update fixed this issue? Haven’t properly played the game since this crap started and I need my fix!

It looks like it did (i got them quite a lot in last few weeks but its as good as gone since the patch that also changed loading times) but sadly i also just discovered without any doubt that cheaters very much can do this. (the rare times i get them now its always on my high level char that always gets all the attention from stupid cheater kids)

Fingers crossed they do a banwave again soon, theres a topic specifically about this issue below by the way, linked to my recent post there (going into a little more detail on when a cheater did this to me earlier today)

• 3 weeks later...
lampshadeonmyhead

Exit code 0xc0000005 indicates a fatal game exit (reason: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION)
Character Lvl 489
i5 9400
32g ram
RTX 2060
SSD

I was thinking it was just modders but it happens in solo sessions as well. I play for 5-30 mons and the screen freezes, sound freezes and it just sits there doing that for about a few seconds then goes to a black screen with the sound still frozen then eventually crashes completely to desktop.

this is getting very annoying.