4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

One Thing Everyone's Overlooking About GTA VI

PsyWarVeteran

PsyWarVeteran

Development studios, especially the ones responsible for huge moneymakers like GTA series, doesn't wait for the latest game's success to dry out and sales to dwindle to start working on a sequel. The new game will surely sell, so they start ahead of schedule. What that means is while GTA V was still in late development, work on VI had undoubtedly started already. Because of this, the developers are not able to get feedback from their latest game by the time they start and they can't scrap the hard work they have done after some time, leaving them the only choice of continuing the already started project.

The point is, if you were R* what would be the logical continuation you would have chosen for the series? V takes place in Los Santos but there are still two major areas / cities that make up San Andreas, San Fierro and Las Venturas. It is very plausible for GTA VI to take place in San Andreas again, but this time the two unvisited parts of the map taking focus instead of Los Santos. It is more logical to complete a map in two games rather than leaving the HD universe variant of San Andreas incomplete and moving onto a new city. Development-wise, it would also be easier and more profitable to build on the assets of V's San Andreas instead of creating all new and completely different ones for a tropical Vice City setting for example. 

Sure, most people are hoping the new location to be Vice City, but it is quite possible that R* has already passed the point of no return, they can't scrap what they already have and the new GTA might take us to San Andreas one more time.

I think at the very least, some sort of development for GTA VI started around GTA V came out.

while it doesn't have to be anything major, at least some sort of "blueprint" or "vision" they have for the next installment was most likely created.

from what I read however, it seemed RDR 2 really was Rockstar's main focus after GTA V came out.

I think at this point, from all the "leaks" and little tidbits of information, Vice City looks likely.

to me, it makes more sense for them to continue the next installment being an entirely new city altogether.
just like in the 3D universe, we were given Liberty City, Vice City, and San Andreas.

I would assume they would do that for the HD universe, the last city we need is Vice City.

I think the main reason why San Andreas is "incomplete", is solely due to console limitations.

you got to remember, GTA V's map was made and put in mind for XB360 and PS3 hardware, and that's very old hardware.

if GTA V was made only for just for PS4/Xbox One hardware, we probably could of gotten a bigger map, maybe San Fierro included in there.

another thing, the real life San Francisco and Las Vegas, are much smaller than Los Angeles.

not even San Francisco and Las Vegas combined are bigger than Los Angeles.

I know it's a game at the end of the day, but I can't see them narrow down to 2 smaller cities for a major game, especially as highly hyped as this game will be.

ChangeYourName

I'd personally be insanely disappointed if it's set in San Andreas again. Las Vegas and San Francisco don't really appeal to me as much as Miami does.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, testarossa 86 said:

I think at the very least, some sort of development for GTA VI started around GTA V came out.

while it doesn't have to be anything major, at least some sort of "blueprint" or "vision" they have for the next installment was most likely created.

from what I read however, it seemed RDR 2 really was Rockstar's main focus after GTA V came out.

I think at this point, from all the "leaks" and little tidbits of information, Vice City looks likely.

to me, it makes more sense for them to continue the next installment being an entirely new city altogether.
just like in the 3D universe, we were given Liberty City, Vice City, and San Andreas.

I would assume they would do that for the HD universe, the last city we need is Vice City.

I think the main reason why San Andreas is "incomplete", is solely due to console limitations.

you got to remember, GTA V's map was made and put in mind for XB360 and PS3 hardware, and that's very old hardware.

if GTA V was made only for just for PS4/Xbox One hardware, we probably could of gotten a bigger map, maybe San Fierro included in there.

another thing, the real life San Francisco and Las Vegas, are much smaller than Los Angeles.

not even San Francisco and Las Vegas combined are bigger than Los Angeles.

I know it's a game at the end of the day, but I can't see them narrow down to 2 smaller cities for a major game, especially as highly hyped as this game will be.

Okay that's a good point but you need to remember Las Vegas and San Francisco,even though they're smaller than LA,they're still much bigger than Miami(even though i think Miami is a better setting)

Edited by Ryz 92

PsyWarVeteran
3 hours ago, testarossa 86 said:

We were given new cities in the past but they were always complete in one map, never seperated like in V.

San Andreas feels incomplete because it is. San Andreas isn't Los Santos only. Also, they can very well make VI take place in two cities considering they did the exact same thing but even smaller in scope in V and that map wasn't small at all.

8 minutes ago, Ryz 92 said:

Okay that's a good point but you need to remember Las Vegas and San Francisco,even though they're smaller than LS,they're still much bigger than Miami(even though i think Miami is a better setting)

Beat me to it :)

V takes place in Los Santos but there are still two major areas / cities that make up San Andreas, San Fierro and Las Venturas.

I doubt they care about that.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Americana said:

I doubt they care about that.

I mean,of course they care about these cities,for example there were more references to San Fierro than any other fictional GTA city in the latest update.People only focus on Vice City references even though there are many references for San Fierro/Las Venturas also.

• Like 1

I'd be somewhat bummed if it doesn't take place in VC, although if it's SF / LV in the 70's, a surplus of interiors and could provide more backstory on the mafia families of Liberty City? I'd be fine with that. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ryz 92 said:

Okay that's a good point but you need to remember Las Vegas and San Francisco,even though they're smaller than LA,they're still much bigger than Miami(even though i think Miami is a better setting)

while you are correct, I do find Miami is different in many ways.

if Rockstar is making a Miami-based map, they have a lot to work with.

it would be an entirely new map altogether, plus the gigantic everglades, and perhaps another smaller city. (Everglades City, Naples, Tampa, etc.)

The Miami metropolitan area itself is far bigger than LA, SF, and LV combined.

on top of that, you still have the Keys, and the cities behind the Glades.

not to mention, the possible use of the Caribbean/Central America/South America.

also, there's rumors of Mafia IV taking place in Las Vegas, which is a location perfectly suited for a Mafia themed game.

13 hours ago, PsyWarVeteran said:

We were given new cities in the past but they were always complete in one map, never seperated like in V.

San Andreas feels incomplete because it is. San Andreas isn't Los Santos only. Also, they can very well make VI take place in two cities considering they did the exact same thing but even smaller in scope in V and that map wasn't small at all.

Beat me to it :)

I do agree. GTA: San Andreas has one of the best maps solely due to the fact that it features multiple big cities.

I think some of us were expecting at least some other big city featured in the game as well (San Fierro, or another major fictional city such as San Diego, etc)

but, as I said, GTA V's map was made with XB360 and PS3 hardware. I am sure the map size had a lot to do with console limitations.

another thing as well, they are also trying to keep the 3D universe and HD universe "separate", so perhaps in the HD universe, Las Venturas isn't even in San Andreas.

we could maybe receive a new city such as San Fierro as a GTA: Online update, since console hardware shouldn't be holding them back that much.

1 hour ago, rjmthe2nd said:

I'd be somewhat bummed if it doesn't take place in VC, although if it's SF / LV in the 70's, a surplus of interiors and could provide more backstory on the mafia families of Liberty City? I'd be fine with that. 

sounds like you will enjoy the rumored Mafia IV.

13 hours ago, PsyWarVeteran said:

San Andreas feels incomplete because it is. San Andreas isn't Los Santos only.

It doesn't feel incomplete. V said Southern San Andreas and Southern San Andreas is based on Southern California and Southern California is LA and San Diego and everything in between them. R* just decided to focus on LA for V.

19 hours ago, testarossa 86 said:

while you are correct, I do find Miami is different in many ways.

if Rockstar is making a Miami-based map, they have a lot to work with.

it would be an entirely new map altogether, plus the gigantic everglades, and perhaps another smaller city. (Everglades City, Naples, Tampa, etc.)

The Miami metropolitan area itself is far bigger than LA, SF, and LV combined.

on top of that, you still have the Keys, and the cities behind the Glades.

not to mention, the possible use of the Caribbean/Central America/South America.

also, there's rumors of Mafia IV taking place in Las Vegas, which is a location perfectly suited for a Mafia themed game.

I always thought Las Vegas Valley and San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont Metropolitan areas were bigger than Miami-Lauderdale-West Palm Beach Metropolitan area but upon research i found out Miami metropolitan area was bigger :kekw:

Still though Everglades City or the Naples doesn't cut it,they're more like smaller towns(still they are much more interesting than lets say Morro Bay or Bakersfield imo),Cape Coral and Fort Myers are great fit for cities outside of Miami Metropolitan Area if they don't include Central Florida with Tampa Bay,Clearwater,St.Petersburg,Orlando,Lakeland,Melbourne and Daytona Beach.

Edited by Ryz 92

Northern San Andreas > Vice City

San Francisco and Las Vegas are much more interesting places than Miami. Patrolling Driving through the Mojave in a next gen GTA would be incredible.

• Like 3

Yes... as long as Rockstar doesn't create such a crappy desert as the one in Grand Theft Auto V.

33 minutes ago, RenegadeAngel said:

and what will the story be about?

I'm not sure, they'd have to come up with something new. Even if it's set in Vice City, they'll have to do something new because an empire building story in Miami is cliche and has already been done twice.

9 hours ago, RenegadeAngel said:

San Francisco? 

Gentrification and homeless people pooping everywhere San Francisco has a homeless and pooping problem.  You have a Homeless protagonist who uses the sidewalk in front of the Ifruit store as his safehouse and he has to stop the other  homeless people from pooping all over the city.

10 hours ago, Kris194 said:

We were stuck in California for almost last 8 years, why would anyone want to be stuck in California for another ten years?

I don't much like the idea of being stuck anywhere for ten years but I'd take San Fran/Vegas over any combination of Florida cities in a heartbeat. Plus with Northern San Andreas you still get the relentlessly flat terrain and pretty lights like Vice City with Las Venturas but you also get a city that's fun to drive in with San Fierro. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, RenegadeAngel said:

They can do anything they want,and make it good,look at GTA IV,it's about a revenge story about refugee coming to Liberty City,you work as a hitman,it's way too basic when you look at it this way,but emotional storytelling and dialogues makes it much better.

Story could be about a prisoner escaping from Alcatraz or if they include southernmost-California they can do a cartel story taking place San Diego-Tijuana-Los Santos-Las Venturas-San Fierro,if they want to expand the map to North,they can include Portland and/or Seattle,hell they can even do three cities with San Fierro,Las Venturas and Honolulu,Hawaii  as San Francisco is one of the closest cities to Hawaii in the US.or They can do tricity setting of Phoenix,Las Vegas,Los Angeles,all of them could work well in modern times also.

30 minutes ago, Ryz 92 said:

Story could be about a prisoner escaping from Alcatraz 

Alcatraz has been shut down since the 60s though and wouldn't work. The furthest I can see GTA going into the past is the 70s.

southernmost-California they can do a cartel story taking place San Diego-Tijuana-Los Santos-Las Venturas

Now that would be awesome. A cartel or a biker story with Phoenix and Las Vegas would be cool.

expand the map to North,they can include Portland and/or Seattle,hell they can even do three cities with San Fierro,Las Venturas and Honolulu,Hawaii  as San Francisco is one of the closest cities to Hawaii in the US.

None of this would work at all and would look ridiculous imo. Seattle and Portland are not near San Francisco at all and Hawaii? You gotta be joking man.

Edited by Zello

31 minutes ago, Zello said:

Alcatraz has been shut down since the 60s though and wouldn't work. The furthest I can see GTA going into the past is the 70s.

Hey i know it was shut down in 60s but i said that because there supposed to be Alcatraz in GTA:SA(takes place in 90's)

31 minutes ago, Zello said:

None of this would work at all and would look ridiculous imo. Seattle and Portland are not near San Francisco at all and Hawaii? You gotta be joking man.

I meant if they take  on entire West coast of US when i said San Francisco and Seattle and San Francisco is closer to Hawaii than most US cities so i don't understand what you meant?

This doesn't make sense but Miami and Rio makes sense?Okay then.

Edited by Ryz 92

45 minutes ago, Ryz 92 said:

Story could be about a prisoner escaping from Alcatraz

hmmm... sounds like a good intro into Mafia 4, and then segue into Las Vegas in the 1970s...

2 minutes ago, testarossa 86 said:

hmmm... sounds like a good intro into Mafia 4, and then segue into Las Vegas in the 1970s...

Why limit yourself to Mafia 4?Empire Bay is mix of SF and NYC.It can work great in a GTA game taking place post 80's.If game's set in current time they can focus on human trafficking and prostituon in SF and LV.Or a psycho Talk Show Host,etc.

7 minutes ago, Ryz 92 said:

Why limit yourself to Mafia 4?Empire Bay is mix of SF and NYC.It can work great in a GTA game taking place post 80's.If game's set in current time they can focus on human trafficking and prostituon in SF and LV.Or a psycho Talk Show Host,etc.

eh... it just sounds mafia-ish

especially with the rumored west area setting for Mafia 4.

besides, when you think of Alcatraz, mobsters come to mind.

I am also sort of hyping myself up for a new Mafia game after just getting done playing both Mafia II & III.

6 minutes ago, testarossa 86 said:

eh... it just sounds mafia-ish

especially with the rumored west area setting for Mafia 4.

besides, when you think of Alcatraz, mobsters come to mind.

I am also sort of hyping myself up for a new Mafia game after just getting done playing both Mafia II & III.

I love mafia series,but after III,i don't expect anything good,there's an easter egg in Mafia Definitive Edition which added a new city  Los Ondas,which is 99% next location in Mafia games imo.Mix of LA and LV judging by the description.I don't like Mafia games for their open world tbh,they should rather continue with chapter system.

Edited by Ryz 92

5 minutes ago, Ryz 92 said:

I love mafia series,but after III,i don't expect anything good,there's an easter egg in Mafia Definitive Edition which added a new city  Los Ondas,which is 99% next location in Mafia games imo.Mix of LA and LV judging by the description.I don't like Mafia games for it's open world tbh,they should rather continue with chapter system.

Mafia: Definitive Edition (the Mafia 1 remake) was very successful it seems and they fixed a lot of the previous game's problems, both graphical and technical.

of course another portion of Mafia III's issues was the excessive grinding.

the Mafia 1 remake is different as it does follow the original game, just pure story.

I think they got a good direction on where to go for Mafia 4, just a story driven game with a few things to do in free roam.

I think a lot of us only play Mafia for the story, but it's really the only game series out there making open-world crime games set in the past.

it's a bit funny how technically the "first game" of the series is the most polished and modern, while the "newest game" suffers from unplayable bugs, not as good graphically, and a bad format for a game.

1 minute ago, testarossa 86 said:

Mafia: Definitive Edition (the Mafia 1 remake) was very successful it seems and they fixed a lot of the previous game's problems, both graphical and technical.

of course another portion of Mafia III's issues was the excessive grinding.

the Mafia 1 remake is different as it does follow the original game, just pure story.

I think they got a good direction on where to go for Mafia 4, just a story driven game with a few things to do in free roam.

I think a lot of us only play Mafia for the story, but it's really the only game series out there making open-world crime games set in the past.

it's a bit funny how technically the "first game" of the series is the most polished and modern, while the "newest game" suffers from unplayable bugs, not as good graphically, and a bad format for a game.

Mafia III's story is really good,even though i don't think it's really a mafia game,but execution is terrible,game would be remarkable if missions were good,AI and physics weren't ass.

This is why i want a new Red Dead game taking place in 20's to 40's heavily influenced by Once Upon a Time in America.I really like to have a grounded mafia game with Red Dead physics and storytelling.

14 minutes ago, Ryz 92 said:

Mafia III's story is really good,even though i don't think it's really a mafia game,but execution is terrible,game would be remarkable if missions were good,AI and physics weren't ass.

This is why i want a new Red Dead game taking place in 20's to 40's heavily influenced by Once Upon a Time in America.I really like to have a grounded mafia game with Red Dead physics and storytelling.

yeah, I really enjoyed Mafia III's story as well. prior to the game's release, I was hoping they would feature the Black Mob more.

the Black Mob was powerful during the 60s/70s, bringing in more money than the Italian Mob, so it just feels like a missed opportunity to expand on that.

Lincoln is a good character, he feels more like the Terminator or a "one man army", and you never have to worry about killing groups of people.

it also doesn't help that Lincoln is 6'4" and everyone in the game is under 5'10". sort of feels out of place.

other then that, I enjoyed the game and story.

Rockstar could definitely nail a game set in the 20's/40's with RDR2's engine. I would say Mafia themed, but we just got the Mafia 1 remake.

1 minute ago, testarossa 86 said:

yeah, I really enjoyed Mafia III's story as well. prior to the game's release, I was hoping they would feature the Black Mob more.

the Black Mob was powerful during the 60s/70s, bringing in more money than the Italian Mob, so it just feels like a missed opportunity to expand on that.

Lincoln is a good character, he feels more like the Terminator or a "one man army", and you never have to worry about killing groups of people.

it also doesn't help that Lincoln is 6'4" and everyone in the game is under 5'10". sort of feels out of place.

other then that, I enjoyed the game and story.

Rockstar could definitely nail a game set in the 20's/40's with RDR2's engine. I would say Mafia themed, but we just got the Mafia 1 remake.

It would be really different than Mafia 1 remake of course,first of all it would include Jewish Mob,following Red Dead's gameplay structures,but also  having a great open world map from NYC to Buffalo.Jump from one myth to other similar like how Red Dead made us feel like gunslingers.