1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

If GTA VI is set in the 1980s, which year would you want it to be set in?

MrBreak16

If GTA VI is set in the 1980s, which year would you want it to be set in?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Pick a year

I see a lot of people saying GTA VI should take place in the 1980s but no one says which year the game should take place in or start. So which year would you pick and why?

Edited by MrBreak16

I'll have to go with 1989, this is a very special take. With this year, Rockstar wouldn't have to worry about what to put or what not for the sake of being accurate with the setting, as they have the whole decade at this point, you have all the 80's energy and culture, but as modern as possible, and allowing room for many important events such as the creation of the world wide web, the end of the cold war, crack becoming the most popular drug over cocaine, and even more.

Edited by The Tracker

I feel like 1987 would be a good pick since you can cover just about everything in '80s culture there. 1988-1989 I feel like is more culturally tied to the '90s (perhaps accurate to call it a prelude to '90s culture), while 1980-1983 would be too restrictive for what you can portray in that decade since a lot hasn't happened at that point.

Edited by RisingStar
SeventyRanger42

I'd prefer it to be set in '88, not the end of the decade but close, a lot of really good songs came out that decade (mainly '84-'88) that would really fit the 80's atmosphere/feel, vehicles and firearms and obviously, a lot of pop culture references from that era. 

Shyabang Shyabang

I want to see what it was like to watch the events at the Berlin Wall in 1989:

Edited by Shyabang Shyabang

I would like to see the story start in one year and finish in another.

and I don't mean 1980s to 2020s.

the beginning of the story could take place in '82/84 then near the end of the story, the year is roughly '88/89

we saw this in RDR2, the game started and ended years apart.

assuming the story is based around a narco theme, a story that progresses through the years, we could see the start and rise of drug cartels and how they became powerful over the years, etc

Online could be set in '89.

• Like 3
Just now, testarossa 86 said:

I would like to see the story start in one year and finish in another.

and I don't mean 1980s to 2020s.

the beginning of the story could take place in '82/84 then near the end of the story, the year is roughly '88/89

we saw this in RDR2, the game started and ended years apart.

assuming the story is based around a narco theme, a story that progresses through the years, we could see the start and rise of drug cartels and how they became powerful over the years, etc

Online could be set in '89.

As I said before,i'd like game to take place in 78-93,epilogue in Mexico trying to survive,but dying in the end.(inspired by Pablo Escobar)

8 minutes ago, Ryz 92 said:

As I said before,i'd like game to take place in 78-93,epilogue in Mexico trying to survive,but dying in the end.(inspired by Pablo Escobar)

yeah exactly, that's what I was hinting at.

obviously Pablo's rise and fall didn't all happen in one year, so if the whole narco theme is true, it would be neat to see something similar where we start in the early 80s (or late 70s) and it ends in the late 80s. (or early 90s)

2 minutes ago, testarossa 86 said:

yeah exactly, that's what I was hinting at.

obviously Pablo's rise and fall didn't all happen in one year, so if the whole narco theme is true, it would be neat to see something similar where we start in the early 80s (or late 70s) and it ends in the late 80s. (or early 90s)

They even can include El Rubio similar role to Rat Micah.He's literally your right hand but survives only because he's ratting you to government.Maybe that's why Rockstar obliged him as the biggest drug-lord of the World.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Ryz 92 said:

They even can include El Rubio similar role to Rat Micah.He's literally your right hand but survives only because he's ratting you to government.Maybe that's why Rockstar obliged him as the biggest drug-lord of the World.

yeah I think El Rubio will be featured in GTA VI, he doesn't have to be a major character, but at least some sort of mention or featured as a minor character.

similar to how El Chapo is featured in Narcos: Mexico, he isn't powerful yet, but eventually we all know he becomes powerful as the years go on.

1 hour ago, eyeballs said:

I dont think it should be set in the 1980s because it would be boring

GTA Vice City wasn’t boring, nor was GTA San Andreas

2 hours ago, eyeballs said:

I dont think it should be set in the 1980s because it would be boring

Sure, let's not set a game 30 years ago, because it has to do a lot with what makes a good game, right?. Another dude who acts like the 1980's were the stone age or something.

By your logic, I can say setting it in modern day would be boring, because it would literally feel like our daily-lives.

5 hours ago, Ryz 92 said:

I really wouldn't want any Online characters in VI, despite how good they might be, because that would mean that all this nonsense going on in there is actually canon. Leave it to VI's Online mode, but please, no English Daves and El Rubios in the story mode😂

• Like 2
20 hours ago, MrBreak16 said:

GTA Vice City wasn’t boring, nor was GTA San Andreas

I mean the graphics in those sucked so id ont really care

19 hours ago, The Tracker said:

Sure, let's not set a game 30 years ago, because it has to do a lot with what makes a good game, right?. Another dude who acts like the 1980's were the stone age or something.

By your logic, I can say setting it in modern day would be boring, because it would literally feel like our daily-lives.

In the 1980s its just vice city all over again. Modern day isnt actually different and can do so much with it like corona parody or something like that or Trump who is a very funny character

2 hours ago, eyeballs said:

Modern day isnt actually different and can do so much with it like corona parody or something like that or Trump who is a very funny character

Go watch the news if that's your type of sh*t. 

Rockstar's take on American politics is so lame, I don't want that, especially not now.

I would like the game to take place somewhere between 1985 and 1989.

Edited by Americana

Real 1980s in terms of culture started in 1983, 1982 at earliest, so i don't mind to start in 1983, but i also wouldn't mind 1984 or 1985. I don't really want it to go further.  

If some rumors that beginning of the game will takes place in late 1970s are true, i easily can see why we will be jump in 5-7 years later. Because we will skip this years

in jail. Small term for drugs in 1978 would mean freedom in 1983 which seems logical. 

Edited by kiveress
On 2/27/2021 at 11:41 AM, RenegadeAngel said:

I really wouldn't want any Online characters in VI, despite how good they might be, because that would mean that all this nonsense going on in there is actually canon. Leave it to VI's Online mode, but please, no English Daves and El Rubios in the story mode😂

Meh, I get your point but there's already lots of characters from GTA V's story in Online. I don't think El Rubio, or any other online character, showing up in VI's story mode would make Online canon. 

2 minutes ago, DexMacLeod said:

Meh, I get your point but there's already lots of characters from GTA V's story in Online. I don't think El Rubio, or any other online character, showing up in VI's story mode would make Online canon. 

Let's pretend this isn't real😂 The whole thing was supposed be a prequel to the events of the storyline, so all the familiar characters seemed fitting, but it feels like they've completely lost it in the continuity department over the years and nothing makes any sense anymore. 

• Like 2

1989,that way they can include pretty much any 80s music on the radio,any vehicles and weapons available in the 80s,and reference any 80s movie, TV show or event without looking anachronistic,but it would still have that 80s feel.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, EliteGamer_6 said:

Go watch the news if that's your type of sh*t. 

I cant kill people on the news lol.

14 hours ago, eyeballs said:

Trump who is a very funny character

Trump is pretty much old news now though.

They can actually do a better job of criticizing Trump in the 80s.  It's when he started teasing about running for President, it's when he wrote his book The art of deal, he also bought Mar a Largo in 1985. Everything that Trump is today was formed in the 80s and could be shown in a game set in the past.

Edited by Zello

'86 was vice city, so maybe a couple years after that I'd be happy with. 

Having some sort of links to the original Vice City would be great

1 hour ago, TF141 said:

'86 was vice city, so maybe a couple years after that I'd be happy with. 

Having some sort of links to the original Vice City would be great

I don’t think that GTA VI should be a continuation of GTA Vice City. It should be it’s own thing 

• Like 2

To be very 80s I think 88 or 89 as the early few years of a decade seem like a hangover from the previous one.

All of it. Maybe like RDR2's chapters, and have the story progress through the decade. Get to have everything from the 80's, then.

• Like 2
  • YEE 1