1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTAForums does NOT endorse or allow any kind of GTA Online modding, mod menus, tools or account selling/hacking. Do NOT post them here or advertise them, as per the forum rules.

What's up with immense hatred towards GTA V?

Criteria3908

JetNormalGuy
On 2/26/2021 at 10:33 PM, THEGTAGUY4 said:

Bandwagoning

Cool to hate popular things

Crowbcat's video

People tend to hate the newest installment in the series (the exact same sh*t happened with GTA 4 back in 2008)

Exactly, f*cking Crowbcat's video of him cherry picking clips just to sh*t on games, and people start using it as actual proof of why X is better than Y.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Niobium said:

it's like you people are incapable of any original thought.

I'd take 100 obvious but true thoughts over 1 original but false thought. 

7 minutes ago, JetNormalGuy said:

Exactly, f*cking Crowbcat's video of him cherry picking clips just to sh*t on games, and people start using it as actual proof of why X is better than Y.

there was no cherrypicking in crowbcat's videos (except maybe little things like the cars scratching on the walls). it was very detailed and went over every single core gameplay mechanic, such as the police system, the driving, the shooting, etc. those are not cherrypicked features, they are some of the most important features in any GTA game.

8 minutes ago, Betsy said:

I'd take 100 obvious but true thoughts over 1 original but false thought. 

you're new here, so let me tell you something.

i've been hearing this dumbass argument since 2013 (the year i made my account here on GTAForums). yes, some GTA V "haters" have warmed up a bit to this game since it came out. but 8 years later, to this day, others still believe V was a big disappointment that does not live up to previous GTAs at all.

the reason i get so disrespectful and flippant over people like you is that you've been saying this exact same argument for eight f*cking years, and yet our positions on GTA V haven't changed.

you can keep blurting out "NOSTALGIA" all you want, it won't do you any good. nostalgia is supposed to be "a return to the good ol' days", but how can we have nostalgia for GTA V when our memories of this game was playing a bland, watered down, empty, lifeless, and boring video game that does not live up to its potential?

• Like 5
27 minutes ago, Niobium said:

you can keep blurting out "NOSTALGIA" all you want, it won't do you any good. nostalgia is supposed to be "a return to the good ol' days", but how can we have nostalgia for GTA V when our memories of this game was playing a bland, watered down, empty, lifeless, and boring video game that does not live up to its potential?

I guess you're not "most people" then. Your hatred over GTA V is apparently so strong that you don't consider it to be canon, which is probably not an opinion shared by most of the "haters" even. I don't know how GTA VI will turn out, but I hope you'll find what you're looking for in it.

Western Gunslinger

@Niobium don't let the fanboys bully you into submission. Your view on GTA V indeed have merit. Just wanted to state this as I feel they're ganging up on you

• Like 1
  • KEKW 1
Algonquin Assassin
6 hours ago, MaddenedGhost said:

Nah this trash happened before on this forum, and I am one of those "please don’t kill me GTA V haters" kind of posters but I am just having a laugh since it makes some people upset, I personally don't give a damn if my opinion about GTAV doesn't sound good to some random person on the internet lol, it won't change my mind and my opinion about the game remains the same.

I didn't say it's "never" happened. It's a forum after all so conflict is bound to occur with people from all sorts of backgrounds, beliefs, views and so on, but that's why we have rules and policies put in place to police this stuff.

I just feel "most" of the time it's not that bad. I mean if people were being sniped (figuratively speaking) for liking GTA V then I guess this forum would be dead as a door knob because all these bad people/rule breakers would've been banned by now. I'll say it again I'm a former member of staff so I know exactly how seriously member abuse/bullying is taken and it's not taken lightly. However what I see most of the time is people having a difference of opinion that for whatever reason is inferred as "attacking/being personal". 

The rest of your post kinda speaks the obvious. If you have an opinion about something then who cares what others think? 

Edited by Algonquin Assassin
  • Like 1
MaddenedGhost

Reading some of these comments in this last page and then remembering that I made a reply not that long ago wishing I can experience GTAV for the first time again had me be like this at the moment:

3n1zvf.jpg

• Like 1

I'm sorry but that nostalgia bit is true. You cannot deny it.

Happens with everything. "The music today is sh*t." Then 10-20 years pass and all of a sudden it's good music and they "just don't make em like they used to" etc. Same goes for any product or trend. Cars, fashion, games, movies, so on and so forth.

However, it's very easy to tell who this will affect. This will affect anyone who likes to sh*t on anything new and is often times blinded by nostalgia; the delusion that things were better back then. To me, my prime for entertainment and styles etc was between 2008 and 2016. Anything after that doesn't really hit the same way. But I know that most of that is nostalgia. Things today are not sh*ttier than they were back then. They just change as always.

However, with a genuinely mediocre/bad product it is a bit iffy. A lot of the bad things that came out years ago are forgotten and nobody brings em up when they reminisce those 'good times'. Eventually bad memories turn into good ones (isn't that a Tame Impala lyric lmao) and part of that is because we tend to block out some less important bad stuff when we think back to the past. But there is a lot of crap you could play from the 00's, 90's 80's etc and be like "what is this garbage?"

GTA V. I know I'm going to remember the hype. And my initial reaction to launch. And then when GTA:Online started taking off. But I'll also remember how they basically killed SP. And sold themselves out. And promoted mediocrity to the point where I gave up and started modding the damn game downloading fixes and changing things to make it how I felt it should've been. When I think of GTA V I already think of "my version" of it than the version I felt was half-assed. I mean, I barely played the game before that because I'd gotten tired of its bullsh*t. I played GTA IV four times as much. And no, I didn't hate IV when it came out. It was love at first sight lol. I don't play it as much as I used to, but there was never a point where things "switched" for me and I suddenly enjoyed it.

• Like 8

I am indeed nostalgic of GTA V..........when it wasn't released yet. 656135804678045718.png

Oh how I wish GTA V was never released, and we could just sit down on this forum hyping it and believing how it will be a great GTA forever.  But sadly it was released and the illusion is broken. Aside from the Online, V is a pretty forgetful experience. 

But then again, I share a similar opinion of RDR2 as well so it might just be me but RDR2 is a far better game than GTA V which goes against the argument of "hating the latest game and praising the last." Only way we will praise GTA V more than the next game if it is somehow worse than V then of course we will bash the newer title, it only makes sense to do so but GTA 6 is not going to be magically hated for no reason because V exists since GTA SA didn't get automatic hate because Vice City simply existed, at least last time I checked, both are beloved titles but the same is not the case for IV and V.

If anything, both V and VI will be likely bashed 😁 since I don't think a game like GTA SA and IV will be ever be made by Rockstar again, they have gone in a very different direction now.

Edited by Ryo256
  • Like 6
13 hours ago, JetNormalGuy said:

Crowbcat's intention was to show some features that a 2008 game did better than a 2013 one,not to sh*t on GTA V

But gamers are sheep nowdays and went ahead to ignore the point of the video and start the GTA V BAD circlejerk.....

• Like 2
BrainDeadRaven

Of all the threads that get closed for having nothing valuable left to offer, it amazes me this sh*t show is still runnin strong lmao.

• Like 2
ChiroVette
13 hours ago, Betsy said:

I guess you're not "most people" then. Your hatred over GTA V is apparently so strong that you don't consider it to be canon, which is probably not an opinion shared by most of the "haters" even. I don't know how GTA VI will turn out, but I hope you'll find what you're looking for in it.

Unrelated to your point, I think that GTA is VI a long way off. More related, for now, however, there are a few factors that lead me to believe that the that the realism direction of IV is not coming back for a subsequent GTA any time soon. Or in the next few sequels. First off, while IV has a lot of fans, V was met with overwhelming critical and GTA fan response. Second, I believe that the whole game, the physics, the philosophy, the gameplay, the story, it is all geared to extend out into GTAO, and I'm quite sure this was intentional. GTA Online is so huge for Rockstar and Take2, and they are making money literally hand over fist, and have been for coming up on 8 years! Whatever some fans might think of V and GTAO, I seriously doubt that Rockstar or Take2 intend to screw with this direction for GTA VI. If anything, I am quite certain that GTA VI will double down on all the things most GTA fans, gamers in general, and reviewers all cherish in V. Unfortunately, many of the V'ish qualities most GTA fans love are things that a lot of fans of IV either don't love or simply lament all the things they miss from IV. This isn't a value judgement, by the way.

Third, I think they have an outlet for all the realism junkies in the GTA community. It's called RDR. I didn't last more than an hour or two in RDR2, even though I pre ordered it before launch. All the slow moving realism, the restrictive gameplay. Plus I am not a fan of Westerns. I'm sure it is a great game in its own right. I know because it is also very popular with not only gamers in general, but GTA fans, and it got amazing reviews and write ups. Just not my cup of tea. Same, I suppose, how GTA V isn't the Game-O-Choice for a lot of IV and RDR fans. Simply put V has a totally different philosophy behind the entire game, top to bottom. Nothing wrong with the IV/RDR philosophy. And, by the way, just because I hated RDR2 when it was released, doesn't mean I need to bitch about it, attack it, and claim how I thought it sucked. My experience with the game was I played it, didn't like it, then deleted it off my PS4 HD to make space. For those balking at me bringing the game up now, I think for the second time in this forum, I didn't bring it up to s**t on it. I am trying to make the point that I think that the RDR series is going to be more tailored toward the GTA IV fans while GTA VI will cater to the GTA V fanbase a lot more.

Edited by ChiroVette
  • Like 1
dantedenirodeniro
On 3/3/2021 at 8:15 PM, Algonquin Assassin said:

At the end of the day though the Joker > Trevor because Arthur Fleck is a genuine character study of a person who is actually mentally disturbed and more intimidating/scary than the fake manchild who puts on a sad face when no one cares about him and his flesh is extra crispy when the sensible is done.;)

Joker 🤡 — mistress-gif: The final descent into full blown... | Joker, Joker  dc, Joker film

lol.

I guess were both maintsays of what we love. I'm not sure how long Chiro's been a fan of the series, but I've been around it for a long time through its ups and downs. We age like fine wine.:cool:

Apples and oranges, my friend. Totally different characters in totally different universes with totally different purposes and roles on the writing.

Trevor is almost a absurd comic relief, an agent of the chaos, while Arthur Fleck is an retrospective and more profound character. Just because both are mentally ill, doesn't mean that they are equivalents to one another

14 hours ago, Niobium said:

the reason i get so disrespectful and flippant over people like you is that you've been saying this exact same argument for eight f*cking years

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZZMBx_anhAgiu-Iz4Uhivideogame*

Edited by dantedenirodeniro
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, ChiroVette said:

Unrelated to your point, I think that GTA is VI a long way off. More related, for now, however, there are a few factors that lead me to believe that the that the realism direction of IV is not coming back for a subsequent GTA any time soon. Or in the next few sequels. First off, while IV has a lot of fans, V was met with overwhelming critical and GTA fan response. Second, I believe that the whole game, the physics, the philosophy, the gameplay, the story, it is all geared to extend out into GTAO, and I'm quite sure this was intentional. GTA Online is so huge for Rockstar and Take2, and they are making money literally hand over fist, and have been for coming up on 8 years! Whatever some fans might think of V and GTAO, I seriously doubt that Rockstar or Take2 intend to screw with this direction for GTA VI. If anything, I am quite certain that GTA VI will double down on all the things most GTA fans, gamers in general, and reviewers all cherish in V. Unfortunately, many of the V'ish qualities most GTA fans love are things that a lot of fans of IV either don't love or simply lament all the things they miss from IV. This isn't a value judgement, by the way.

Third, I think they have an outlet for all the realism junkies in the GTA community. It's called RDR. I didn't last more than an hour or two in RDR2, even though I pre ordered it before launch. All the slow moving realism, the restrictive gameplay. Plus I am not a fan of Westerns. I'm sure it is a great game in its own right. I know because it is also very popular with not only gamers in general, but GTA fans, and it got amazing reviews and write ups. Just not my cup of tea. Same, I suppose, how GTA V isn't the Game-O-Choice for a lot of IV and RDR fans. Simply put V has a totally different philosophy behind the entire game, top to bottom. Nothing wrong with the IV/RDR philosophy. And, by the way, just because I hated RDR2 when it was released, doesn't mean I need to bitch about it, attack it, and claim how I thought it sucked. My experience with the game was I played it, didn't like it, then deleted it off my PS4 HD to make space. For those balking at me bringing the game up now, I think for the second time in this forum, I didn't bring it up to s**t on it. I am trying to make the point that I think that the RDR series is going to be more tailored toward the GTA IV fans while GTA VI will cater to the GTA V fanbase a lot more.

It is a bit more complicated than that I believe. First of all recent Rockstar games always are influenced by the previous titles e.g GTA V draws many influences from GTA SA, Midnight Club, Max Payne, GTA IV (More TBOGT to be particular) and of course.....RDR1 (where do you think the ex-criminal being forced out of retirement by a govt agency plot comes from?).

Now in turn, RDR2 also shares many of the features from GTA V, it's particularly why I didn't find it that good like the restrictive scripted missions. RDR2 also received a lot of positive response from community, pretty much the same score on metacritic as GTA V and apparently majority of the GTA V fans really do enjoy it. Therefore GTA 6 will be influenced by RDR2 regardless of the philosophy for an Online mode because RDR2 also has one yet still maintains its realism approach. 

And of course, as a huge GTA IV (and SA) fan, I am not that big of a fan of RDR2 (and GTA V) though. So again, it's a bit complicated.

• Like 1
ChiroVette
3 minutes ago, Ryo256 said:

It is a bit more complicated than that I believe. First of all recent Rockstar games always are influenced by the previous titles e.g GTA V draws many influences from GTA SA, Midnight Club, Max Payne, GTA IV (More TBOGT to be particular) and of course.....RDR1 (where do you think the ex-criminal being forced out of retirement by a govt agency plot comes from?).

Now in turn, RDR2 also shares many of the features from GTA V, it's particularly why I didn't find it that good like the restrictive scripted missions. RDR2 also received a lot of positive response from community, pretty much the same score on metacritic as GTA V and apparently majority of the GTA V fans really do enjoy it. Therefore GTA 6 will be influenced by RDR2 regardless of the philosophy for an Online mode because RDR2 also has one yet still maintains its realism approach. 

And of course, as a huge GTA IV (and SA) fan, I am not that big of a fan of RDR2 (and GTA V) though. So again, it's a bit complicated.

I agree, it is more complicated. However, to me, RDR2 felt a lot more like GTA IV than anything close to V. But that could also be because I bailed on the game after only an hour or two. So there's that. I still think that GTA VI is more likely to be more like a sequel to V than a sequel to IV. But who knows, right? With all the money Rockstar has been making from GTAO, and it will be a huge windfall for probably a full decade from 2013, when I think VI will finally launch, it seems to me that Rockstar is going to want to continue making GTA as more, for lack of a better term, San Andreas'ish than IV'ish. Of course, I have no inside track, no empirical proof of any of this, so in the end, your guess is as good as mine. But one of the reasons I cited above is that GTA has a more free form, less restricted feel and much more forgiving physics than IV does. As much as people did play GTA IV Online, it just wasn't anywhere near as popular as V's GTAO. Sure, you can argue that dev tech and gaming improved in the 5 years between IV and V, and you would, of course, be right. You could also argue that there were no Shark Cards back in 2008, and you would also be correct. But if someone were to put a gun to my head, and make me guess, I would have to say that GTA VI is going to be a helluva lot more like V than IV, though way more advanced than either game. One of the many things that makes GTAO so wildly successful is that the environment, which is absolutely an extension of GTA V, is highly malleable by the player. GTA IV was heralded, and still is by some on this forum, as a very tight, solid, and realistic game, compared to other GTA titles. Maybe that isn't why IV's online wasn't a huge draw for very long, like V is at least, or maybe its the other factors. But I think what keeps players coming back in an addictive and feverish way, to GTA V and GTAO is that it isn't as tight and restrictive, and this lends itself to a much freer and creative online experience, hence a great deal more microtransaction sales.

I guess we'll know one way or another in a few years, though. I just don't see Rockstar going back to the realism motifs they had in IV, though.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Western Gunslinger said:

The only thing missing here is someone getting canceled

allow me to dig up a post you made five years ago you barely remember that makes you look bad.

oh wait, that already happened. 656135804678045718.png

• KEKW 1

However, to me, RDR2 felt a lot more like GTA IV than anything close to V.

I may argue that RDR2 is a much.....bigger beast than IV is, heck GTA IV looks like a fun wacky game compared to RDR2.

So there's that. I still think that GTA VI is more likely to be more like a sequel to V than a sequel to IV. But who knows, right? With all the money Rockstar has been making from GTAO, and it will be a huge windfall for probably a full decade from 2013, when I think VI will finally launch, it seems to me that Rockstar is going to want to continue making GTA as more, for lack of a better term, San Andreas'ish than IV'ish. Of course, I have no inside track, no empirical proof of any of this, so in the end, your guess is as good as mine. But one of the reasons I cited above is that GTA has a more free form, less restricted feel and much more forgiving physics than IV does. As much as people did play GTA IV Online, it just wasn't anywhere near as popular as V's GTAO. Sure, you can argue that dev tech and gaming improved in the 5 years between IV and V, and you would, of course, be right. You could also argue that there were no Shark Cards back in 2008, and you would also be correct. But if someone were to put a gun to my head, and make me guess, I would have to say that GTA VI is going to be a helluva lot more like V than IV, though way more advanced than either game. One of the many things that makes GTAO so wildly successful is that the environment, which is absolutely an extension of GTA V, is highly malleable by the player. GTA IV was heralded, and still is by some on this forum, as a very tight, solid, and realistic game, compared to other GTA titles. Maybe that isn't why IV's online wasn't a huge draw for very long, like V is at least, or maybe its the other factors. But I think what keeps players coming back in an addictive and feverish way, to GTA V and GTAO is that it isn't as tight and restrictive, and this lends itself to a much freer and creative online experience, hence a great deal more microtransaction sales.

You are right about GTAO and seeing how they are making it standalone on future consoles might hint that is a way they are planning on preserving this..... financially successful model, leaving room for them to experiment with GTA 6's singleplayer mode. Personally I am happy with GTA 6 being more like San Andreas than IV, as long as it stays true to whatever direction it picks. GTA V feels too much of a jack of all trades with it borrowing stuff from previous R* titles, the next GTA needs to avoid this and focus on whatever direction they pick and go all the way in.

While I do agree that GTA series should never be like RDR but the way R* keeps getting influenced by their previous games regardless of genre shows that this won't change, RDR2 is successful, extremely successful I might add as a singleplayer game and hence may provide a model for GTA 6's story mode. I just think that we shouldn't rule out this possibility because RDR2 has proven to be a very big deal than even R* expected which can lead to much changes (kinda like how GTAO became their miracle and they ended up dropping singleplayer support for it which shocked everyone).

I guess we'll know one way or another in a few years, though. I just don't see Rockstar going back to the realism motifs they had in IV, though.

Honestly though, I don't see them going back to either San Andreas or IV models. They will just build a more mutated version of GTA V mixed with RDR2. But with Dan Houser gone, two things will happen. Either they will follow an entirely new direction or they will mimic the latest piece of work done by the company which would be.....RDR2.

Edited by Ryo256
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, MrBreak16 said:

This thread is a joke, everyone here is getting emotional over a game lmao

I mean it is a game forum. What a useless remark. Having the capacity to debate anything, even a video game, is not getting emotional. But this kind of mentality is the real reasons why threads like this never catch on. Nobody knows how to be cordial and open-minded. Folks just project their insecurities onto folks they disagree with. :kekw:Maybe why this forum ain't as active anymore.

• Like 5
JetNormalGuy
39 minutes ago, ddarko12 said:

I mean it is a game forum. What a useless remark. Having the capacity to debate anything, even a video game, is not getting emotional. But this kind of mentality is the real reasons why threads like this never catch on. Nobody knows how to be cordial and open-minded. Folks just project their insecurities onto folks they disagree with. :kekw:Maybe why this forum ain't as active anymore.

I mean, you gotta agree that its entertaining to watch things unfold when threads like this pop up.

• YEE 1
Algonquin Assassin
9 hours ago, dantedenirodeniro said:

Apples and oranges, my friend. Totally different characters in totally different universes with totally different purposes and roles on the writing.

Trevor is almost a absurd comic relief, an agent of the chaos, while Arthur Fleck is an retrospective and more profound character. Just because both are mentally ill, doesn't mean that they are equivalents to one another

You really think I was being serious? That's cute.

D9fred95
On 3/4/2021 at 6:42 PM, Betsy said:

I don't recall anyone saying GTA V wasn't canon, just disappointing. 

• Like 2
Algonquin Assassin
2 hours ago, D9fred95 said:

I don't recall anyone saying GTA V wasn't canon, just disappointing. 

It’s Niobium who said that. After all he’s Canadian like his secret man crush Trevor.

• Bruh 1
D9fred95
2 hours ago, Algonquin Assassin said:

It’s Niobium who said that. After all he’s Canadian like his secret man crush Trevor.

Implying all of us maple leaf folk want Trevor. I've always been a Tommy kind of guy, I can't say no to Hawaiian shirts. 

• Like 1
The Wolf Man
18 hours ago, ddarko12 said:

They've been debating about this since 2013. Almost 8 years trying to make IV fanboys see reason. It must me emotionally exausting really, like banging your head against a wall. :kekw:

Edited by The Wolf Man
  • Like 1
Ryo256
1 hour ago, The Wolf Man said:

Almost 8 years trying to make IV fanboys see reason.

Tfe6SnF.png

• Like 1
  • fir thi bairns 1
Americana

I'm 100% sure Grand Theft Auto VI is going to be a sequel to Grand Theft Auto V.

I don't think Rockstar will ever want to create a Grand Theft Auto game similar to IV. And that's okay. Grand Theft Auto games are entertaining anyways.

However, for me it's quite disappointing. 

Edited by Americana