2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Red Dead Redemption 3 Thread

I know it's early, 2 isn't even 3 years old. I've got no idea when GTA V's thread popped up, but I bet it was early on. How come there's no thread for Red Dead Redemption 3? I'd love to speculate about it, but there's no thread.

GTA VI, Bully 2, Agent and the possible Medieval game are more likely to be the next Rockstar releases, anyway, I wonder what Rockstar has planned for the 2060's.

• Like 2

they started work on RDR2 immediately after RDR1 released

so 8 years later, we got the sequel

the actors alone stated it took 5 years for all the motion capture

using that logic, GTA VI should be coming out soon, and if that one leak is to be believed, there's an actor who put GTA VI on his resume, meaning he finished work on it, and they're now in post-production and polishing the game

and this is also, since it was such a success, they'll probably be working out what RDR3 is gonna be about right now

also, Bully 2 is never gonna release

Edited by fuzzyballs01
On 2/14/2021 at 7:39 PM, The Tracker said:

GTA VI, Bully 2, Agent and the possible Medieval game are more likely to be the next Rockstar releases, anyway, I wonder what Rockstar has planned for the 2060's.

Unless there's no bearing for why this happened, Agent's trademark was not renewed so I'm pretty sure it's dead.

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, nicktestbranch said:

Unless there's no bearing for why this happened, Agent's trademark was not renewed so I'm pretty sure it's dead.

I want to believe it still is in development, I always wanted a GTA in the 70's and that game is the closest thing we can get to it.

Edited by The Tracker

Anyone's free to believe what they want, I just don't have belief without some sort of update or hint towards development. We had a leak of concept art a while back, the trademark expired seemingly on purpose, and I guess it's still an exclusive on the Sam Raimi PS3 coming soon.

• Like 1
morestacks4me

I hope and i think it's the most realistic guess that it will be set before previous games, and with completely different characters. No point making a third game in a row in a series about industrialization of the wild west in it's dying days. It should be set maybe in the start of 1800's

• Like 1
5 hours ago, morestacks4me said:

I hope and i think it's the most realistic guess that it will be set before previous games, and with completely different characters. No point making a third game in a row in a series about industrialization of the wild west in it's dying days. It should be set maybe in the start of 1800's

real cartidges weren't really widepread until what, 1850-ish?

that still gives them 50 years of timeframe, and I always preferred the older guns, the Remington 1858 New Army for instance is my favourite, especially with a brass frame

and the Henry rifle 1860 is already in the game

you can't really go back past 1850's since people still mainly used blackpowder weapons at that point (like the Colt Dragoon) unless you want your character to have a hard time finding bullets

I'd like the idea of slower reloads, somewhat forcing you to pick up dropped guns, so you fire 3 more rounds from that dropped blackpowder revolver and automatically drop it again?

Edited by fuzzyballs01
StuntMaster100
11 minutes ago, fuzzyballs01 said:

real cartidges weren't really widepread until what, 1850-ish?

that still gives them 50 years of timeframe, and I always preferred the older guns, the Remington 1858 New Army for instance is my favourite, especially with a brass frame

and the Henry rifle 1860 is already in the game

you can't really go back past 1850's since people still mainly used blackpowder weapons at that point (like the Colt Dragoon) unless you want your character to have a hard time finding bullets

I'd like the idea of slower reloads, somewhat forcing you to pick up dropped guns, so you fire 3 more rounds from that dropped blackpowder revolver and automatically drop it again?

blackpowder guns would be cool. add an ability for faster reloading. The ability can be charged by drinking special tonics

• 2 weeks later...

Or do like Josey Wales anre carry four Revolvers plus loaded cylinders for reloads.  Colt Walkers IIRC.  Been a bit since I researched.

Long guns-paper powder charges, drop in, drop in round then add primer-not as slow to a trained person as it might seem to a modern firearms shooter.  Maybe 3 rounds a minute

fuzzyballs01

I kinda like the idea of preparing revolver cartridges at a loading table or camp, or just resting, but then you'd have to do it after every fight, and loot powder and shot from enemies

there's also the whole "misfire might make all 6 shots go off at once"

and like I said before, a trained soldier could fire a musket 3 times in one minute

I also like the idea of having guns who are 100% dirty have a small chance of breaking every shot, but it'd just be another reason for all these children to cry about how Rockstar is making them re-buy expensive guns

none of them seem to remember that it's a common loot items, literally so common I never had to buy a single gun oil, and even if I did, it's only $1,50 for one

dantedenirodeniro

I don't think we are going to see another Red Dead Redemption... Maybe a Red Dead Revolver 2 or a brand new Red Dead, but I can't see the possibility of a RDR3, I think that the story they wanted to tell has already been tolded by now

Edited by dantedenirodeniro
fuzzyballs01

bro, they told the same story twice now, doesn't take away the fact that both old timey spaghetti western games made them a ton of money, and since they're a business, they'll likely make a third at some point

if you mean "will they add to the same story", then no, they don't do that to GTA either, they could create a whole new setting or expand on this world and push it back 30-50 years so instead of doing this whole "outlaws stuck between the wild frontier and civilisation marching on", it'd just be people surviving the wild frontier

I think we'll see the Van Der Linde Gang in their true prime. Probably gonna play as Mac Callander or some other outlaw that rode with them for years. They sure left some things ambigous, there's open doors for a lot of things. The thing is, a story is never truly told in a sense. Look at Star Wars, there's 6 movies focusing on the Skywalkers. My god, imagine if the Epilogue finale is the Blackwater Massacre. Who would we play as? Would the epilogue cut to black? Either way, RDR3 is undoubtedly happening some day.

Already a thread up i think...

Edit:

Personally, i reckon they're done with the whole Redemption story arc.

Edited by DEADWOODZ
4 hours ago, Drimes said:

I think we'll see the Van Der Linde Gang in their true prime. Probably gonna play as Mac Callander or some other outlaw that rode with them for years. They sure left some things ambigous, there's open doors for a lot of things. The thing is, a story is never truly told in a sense. Look at Star Wars, there's 6 movies focusing on the Skywalkers. My god, imagine if the Epilogue finale is the Blackwater Massacre. Who would we play as? Would the epilogue cut to black? Either way, RDR3 is undoubtedly happening some day.

I have similar thoughts really. Lots of stuff mentioned in the game that they could maybe focus on if they feel there is more to be told with the Van Der Linde gang. Dutch and Hosea rode together for over 20 years with Arthur at their side for most of that time. Who's to say who else was with them during those 20 years? People come and go so it's certainly not beyond the realms of possibility that we see a new protagonist associated with the gang in an RDR3 that has previously either only been mentioned or someone completely new.

There's also that missing year of John's. Where did he go and what did he get up to? Why did he go back? There's potential there for a story either by playing as John once more or as a new protagonist who ends up teaming up with John in some capacity.

Whatever happens though, I doubt we have seen the last of the Red Dead franchise. Whether that is a Redemption 3, Revolver 2 or a new Re title like Revolution or Resurrection, who knows. But there'll definitely be something else down the line.

• Like 2
Posted (edited)

One thing is for sure, we gotta have more of Uncle. The lumbago king lives on!

Edited by Drimes
Lemoyne outlaw
3 hours ago, Drimes said:

One thing is for sure, we gotta have more of Uncle. The lumbago king lives on!

not for me. i thought uncle in rdr2 was annoying. i liked him better in rdr1 and he had a better actor too. the new uncle is more over the top. the lumbago meme was funny for a while. but overall i would prefer if he did not come back.

• 1 month later...

This is my honost opinion.

I dont think we should get a new Rockstar Cowboy era-game. I think its done. I think its time to have a new era/theme open world game. We've seen alot

We need a new game like something with Pirates or Medivel. The name "Red Dead" doesnt have to associate only with Cowboys.

Like an example "Red Dead Wildseas"

It would be refreshing. The pirate genre is pretty low on good games

On 3/2/2021 at 5:51 PM, dantedenirodeniro said:

I don't think we are going to see another Red Dead Redemption... Maybe a Red Dead Revolver 2 or a brand new Red Dead, but I can't see the possibility of a RDR3, I think that the story they wanted to tell has already been tolded by now

Some people said that the same thing after the release of Redemption, that is there will be no a successor game. Red Dead is now R*'s most successful franchise after Grand Theft Auto in terms of unit sales. I highly doubt that a Bully successor, as an example, will be able to achieve the status of Red Dead. Westerns will always be in demand same as the medieval genre. It's less popular, but it's not going away. There's no shortage of stories, themes and landscapes that the next Read Dead title can explore, and the experience that R* has gained by building two games will not be abandoned, but will be utilized to build an even more refined and better Western-themed game.

It's safe to assume that a new Red Dead game will follow Grand Theft Auto 6, and at the current rate of R* production, it's highly unlikely we will see it anytime within the next 5 years. It's even doubtful that it will be a PS5 game. 2028-2030 is a safe bet for a release window, and by that time, a transition will have happened to a new generation of consoles, and we might indeed witness R* turning into a publisher of one new title per decade. If this happened, then they might also turn into a GTA-only publisher. These games are growing more ambitious and development cycles only seem to be taking a longer time. Throwing more human resources at it mightn't be the solution to tame this increasing gap between games, but more automation, and probably less ambitious titles, is. I for one don't prefer less ambitious games.

Edited by Jabalous

The possibilities for RDR3 are endless, honestly. They could go with a Revenant-ish setting with harsh winters and an increased sense of survivalism to even a continuation of Charles's or Sadie's storylines,  but two unique premises spring to mind which can really bring the series forward to keep up with the mostly western theme of redemption, while remaining incredibly unique of an experience.

The first idea could be set during the Interbellum period which could be anywhere between the early 1920s to the early 1940s, distant enough of a time period to satisfy the needs of a Western and not too contemporary enough to be part of the GTA series. The West surely is dead, but the mindset remains. Most people forget that, other than the mobsters like Al Capone and Lucky Luciano, the 30s still had outlaws like Derringer and Bonnie and Clyde as well as the bootleggers that ran rampant from Canada down to the South, and that the cowboy mentality was still very much a thing in the USA, present even in the big cities such as Chicago and NYC, until the beginning of WW2. An RDR game set during this time period could definitely extend on the themes of the first game, where we see a clash between civilization and the frontier, taken to its logical extreme just before the Great War against Hitler, Mussolini and Hirohito. The game would also be a great opportunity to blur the lines between the old Western genre, with 'new' film noir elements, which could highlight this contrast of ideas. The playable character could be a former doughboy who fought in WW1, who could be the 1920s or 30s version of a lone stranger who hops from town to town raising hell until he finds a gang to roll with, and the map could be a mixture of the classic American prairies and deserts with modern big cities and towns.

The second idea could be set outside of the USA, instead turning to the Edo period in Japan, with, sort of as a tribute to Akira Kurosawa and the jidaigeki films of the 60s to 70s. Sort of like Ghost of Tsushima but set 700 years later and with more things to do. The story could be about a skilled, lone Ronin whose now deceased-lord once made him do unspeakable things to the people of the region and is now looking for repentance, at a price, though things soon go sideways. The industrialization and growing militarization of Japan could also factor in to the storyline, which keeps up with the series's consistent themes of the clash of two opposing ideals. Kind of like Unforgiven, but with a distinctive Rockstar twist on the storyline. Setting it during the Edo period also opens up endless sidequests, activities and shows that would otherwise not be available in the American frontier.

Edited by DownInThePMs
RenegadeAngel

I think a Civil War period piece from outlaw perspective just screams to be made. Endless pool of themes and ideas for an extraordinary game. No need to call it Redemption 3, though. It should signify a fresh new start for the Red Dead series. 

• Like 6
6 hours ago, RenegadeAngel said:

I think a Civil War period piece from outlaw perspective just screams to be made. Endless pool of themes and ideas for an extraordinary game. No need to call it Redemption 3, though. It should signify a fresh new start for the Red Dead series. 

"Red Dead Revolution" is what comes into my mind with that setting.

Lemoyne outlaw
8 hours ago, RenegadeAngel said:

i would truly love this. but there is one thing that would ruin it. rockstar would make the south and the confedrates the bad guys. and make them look bad. look at how they handled most of the characters in lemoyne. even dutch and the gang are all northerners hating on the south. i hated that. even the mission where they storm the braithwaites. just feels like when the north invaded the south. and burned atlanta. i love the civil war history and era. but after seeing how rockstar treated the south i just know it would be a bunch of northern loving and southern hating crap. now if they made it like call of juarez bound in blood. that would be amazing. something from the southern perspective. but not about slaves or racism.

i think maybe a story about a confederate veteran travels the west. and get caught up in a bad situation about to die. and a former slave saves him. then they have an uneasy alliance. but become friends. so you could bring back the multiple character feature. im sure rockstar could make a great civil war game. but i just dont want it to be all about how evil the south was. because both sides did bad things.

• Like 1
  • excuseme 2

Something I'd like to see if RDR3 is a prequel is when Arthur finds out about Eliza and Isaacs deaths. He's very specific about it all being over 10 dollars. How did he know that? I wanna see Arthur just brutally execute those robbers

shadyslady
On 2/15/2021 at 12:56 AM, Drimes said:

I know it's early, 2 isn't even 3 years old. I've got no idea when GTA V's thread popped up, but I bet it was early on. How come there's no thread for Red Dead Redemption 3? I'd love to speculate about it, but there's no thread.

Do you really think there is going to be a sequel? I think not. 

Rockstar ran outta ideas and also noticed the genre is dead and doesn't have a basis to build something on. 

Gta 5, flawed as it is allows progress. 

Look how they are able to milk this cow even 8 years after its release. 

From release in 2013 online has been thru a lot of changes, for better or worse but it kept getting content and even the single player COULD have had dlcs if they had ideas for it. 

But red dead is dead 

On 5/3/2021 at 6:15 AM, shadyslady said:

Do you really think there is going to be a sequel? I think not. 

Rockstar ran outta ideas and also noticed the genre is dead and doesn't have a basis to build something on. 

Gta 5, flawed as it is allows progress. 

Look how they are able to milk this cow even 8 years after its release. 

From release in 2013 online has been thru a lot of changes, for better or worse but it kept getting content and even the single player COULD have had dlcs if they had ideas for it. 

But red dead is dead 

A lot of people probably thought the same as you with Red Dead Redemption 1. There's most likely gonna be a sequel, I really think that. There's really no telling for sure though. You believe what you wanna believe, but I am here to talk about ideas for RDR3. If you don't like the idea of it, then go right ahead and ignore this thread

Thomas Cavendish

One thing I don't wanna see in 3 is the Van Der Linde Gang.
It's over. It's gone.
That story was perfectly told. Need no more.
Let's move on.

• Like 2