GTA III and Vice City fully reverse engineered

The Hero

20 hours ago, Ash_735 said:

You CLEARLY didn't try re3/reVC did you? You can use the PS2 files with it if you wish, and the graphics side of thing it contains SkyGFX/SilentPatch/GInput along with proper aspect ratio scaling. These wern't just a carbon copy of the PC versions but new builds that contained fixes and improvements along with more modern day graphical options.

I did indeed, and as I said in my post, it is STILL the PC version, and STILL requires the mods to get it up to standard with the PS2 original. Did you misread ?

14 hours ago, geraltgta said:

You know they could fix these issues with the source code. But now after the DCMA its all gone, rip

No chance it's gone. They are most likely doing the wise thing and working on it behind the scenes and will release differently.

1 hour ago, brad86 said:

I did indeed, and as I said in my post, it is STILL the PC version, and STILL requires the mods to get it up to standard with the PS2 original. Did you misread ?

So what was missing in re3/reVC that was present in the PS2? If you have actual feedback and can give a detailed breakdown of what you're missing that will help development. 

35 minutes ago, Ash_735 said:

So what was missing in re3/reVC that was present in the PS2? If you have actual feedback and can give a detailed breakdown of what you're missing that will help development. 

It's only compatible with PC files, for the most part. It cannot run PS2 data as is, at all, therefore requiring mods. The PS2 original wasn't reverse engineered, the PC port was, which means you still have the same limitations as before. To get it to look and feel like the PS2 game, requires heavy modding, just like we've been doing for years with the original port.

Edited by brad86

3 hours ago, brad86 said:

It's only compatible with PC files, for the most part. It cannot run PS2 data as is, at all, therefore requiring mods. The PS2 original wasn't reverse engineered, the PC port was, which means you still have the same limitations as before. To get it to look and feel like the PS2 game, requires heavy modding, just like we've been doing for years with the original port.

That's a lie, the default build is looking for PC files as that's the easiest way to handle it for most people, but you can look in the code and compile a version with the PS2 file checks instead and voila, it now requires the PS2 files and will run off them. You can also do it with Xbox too!

We even had someone testing JUST with PS2 files before going public. Please don't lie about things when extra care was put into place to specifically support each platforms files.

43 minutes ago, Ash_735 said:

That's a lie, the default build is looking for PC files as that's the easiest way to handle it for most people, but you can look in the code and compile a version with the PS2 file checks instead and voila, it now requires the PS2 files and will run off them. You can also do it with Xbox too!

We even had someone testing JUST with PS2 files before going public. Please don't lie about things when extra care was put into place to specifically support each platforms files.

I wouldn't lie intentionally, but I'm obviously completely wrong with my information, and should check more carefully with what I read elsewhere, and the source, before stating it as fact.

My apologies.

I just understood that if a Vice City Stories was possible, I really hope to live to play a port of that game on pc xd, I hope they can achieve it, I was amazed with the debate about the mod, it is simply amazing

I have questions, the revc mod, just want to look for improvements in certain ways? I mean, there are many other mods that would be great if they were revc compatible, such as sprint with two handed weapons, classic axis and many others

• YEE 1

-Gaming4Life-
51 minutes ago, Mixander said:

I just understood that if a Vice City Stories was possible, I really hope to live to play a port of that game on pc xd, I hope they can achieve it, I was amazed with the debate about the mod, it is simply amazing

I have questions, the revc mod, just want to look for improvements in certain ways? I mean, there are many other mods that would be great if they were revc compatible, such as sprint with two handed weapons, classic axis and many others

It's already possible to sprint with all the weapons of the game in SA 

On 3/7/2021 at 8:37 PM, Ash_735 said:

Would be very thankful for the necessary config definitions to get this working. 😀

One thing is clear it was a mistake to put the code on github. You don't see codes for nocd fix there, and this dissassembly is not exactly legal. There are many options like russian sites or torrent

gamerzworld
3 hours ago, dragon1400 said:

One thing is clear it was a mistake to put the code on github. You don't see codes for nocd fix there, and this dissassembly is not exactly legal. There are many options like russian sites or torrent

Disassembly isn't inherently illegal - at least not in the States. If you want some light reading... https://repository.law.uic.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1368&context=jitpl

11 hours ago, degm said:

Would be very thankful for the necessary config definitions to get this working. 😀

Open a PS2 game ISO, and copy these folders into your GTA folder (overwrite when asked):

data\MAPS

models (don't copy 'font' and 'frontend' files)

It should look like this:

https://i.imgur.com/KjutsMN.png

https://i.imgur.com/BhpHTc8.png

Now open reVC.ini and disable BackfaceCulling. 

That's it, now you can play with PS2 files, that's all I did

Edited by tommy95

MeatSafeMurderer
4 hours ago, tommy95 said:

Open a PS2 game ISO, and copy these folders into your GTA folder (overwrite when asked):

data\MAPS

Seems like you might be missing a few PS2 files there...not just anim\, txd\ and movies\, but specifically (and crucially) the audio.

7 hours ago, MeatSafeMurderer said:

Seems like you might be missing a few PS2 files there...not just anim\, txd\ and movies\, but specifically (and crucially) the audio.

But these folders are not just copy and paste, if I change anim\ or the audio, the game crashes. So i use LeftoverFix for them.

Edited by tommy95

Can I use Xbox files? GTA 3 is a whole different game there.

Edited by Vind Sole

On 3/10/2021 at 6:22 AM, tommy95 said:

data\MAPS

Thanks! I thought I had to mess around in config.h and rebuild.

On 3/10/2021 at 9:27 AM, MeatSafeMurderer said:

Would maybe VBDec script work ?

On 3/10/2021 at 5:22 AM, tommy95 said:

data\MAPS

This method with GTAIII crashes after the intro, every time.

MeatSafeMurderer
35 minutes ago, brad86 said:

Would maybe VBDec script work ?

Nope. Nothing made for the original version will work. Besides, the problem isn't that it can't read .VB files, it can, it just looks for the PC .wav files by default. If this project is allowed to return it'd be nice to see it get an ini toggle so that you don't have to recompile.

1 hour ago, brad86 said:

This method with GTAIII crashes after the intro, every time.

Try to replace the whole Data and models folder (first delete than copy the new one). Make sure to copy Re3 files after that

9 hours ago, MeatSafeMurderer said:

Nope. Nothing made for the original version will work. Besides, the problem isn't that it can't read .VB files, it can, it just looks for the PC .wav files by default. If this project is allowed to return it'd be nice to see it get an ini toggle so that you don't have to recompile.

VBdec.asi is an actual ASI though, and yes you'll need it if you want to use VB files with Miles Sound System (OpenAL has its own native support for VB).

11 hours ago, tommy95 said:

Try to replace the whole Data and models folder (first delete than copy the new one). Make sure to copy Re3 files after that

You still need to have some PC files in those folders for it to work. Replacing the whole Data and Models folders with those from the PS2 is a no-go.
Just trying to find out what can actually be copied and replaced is tricky. Ash_735 did say it can run native PS2 files, but there is still some workarounds needed for this if one wanted to get the PS2 experience on PC. Moded original release PC version is still the only way to get closest to that experience.

On 3/9/2021 at 6:23 PM, Mixander said:

Classic Axis is already made for re3 and revc, called Free Cam. It works for both player foot and vehicle.

5 hours ago, brad86 said:

You still need to have some PC files in those folders for it to work. Replacing the whole Data and Models folders with those from the PS2 is a no-go.
Just trying to find out what can actually be copied and replaced is tricky. Ash_735 did say it can run native PS2 files, but there is still some workarounds needed for this if one wanted to get the PS2 experience on PC. Moded original release PC version is still the only way to get closest to that experience.

I tried now and Vice City works when replacing whole data and models folder, except frontend textures that bugs the main menu, and generic/particle since reVC is higher quality. I finished Jury Fury mission with no problems, will see later if i have any problem

6 hours ago, zmudziak32 said:

Classic Axis ya está hecho para re3 y revc, llamado Free Cam. Funciona tanto para el pie del jugador como para el vehículo.

But the crosshair remains and it feels weird

16 hours ago, Mixander said:

But the crosshair remains and it feels weird

You can always use classic controls + controller with free cam.

• 3 months later...
Igor Bogdanoff

from lcs mobile thread

On 2/11/2016 at 8:39 PM, Sneed said:

PC port by Aap confirmed

dont disappoint me son

it's back

rLDswx2.png1626894873381.gifyardies-in-pip-2022.png