3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

GTA III and Vice City fully reverse engineered

The Hero

MeatSafeMurderer
3 minutes ago, Petrolhex said:

I don't think so. It could be possible to finish GTA: Liberty City by brute forcing all the necessary changes, but not with the use of re3 code. Projects like ReactOS require contributors to never look at leaked Microsoft code (which happened to 2000, XP and Server 2003 iirc) for fear that it might lead to them shutting the entire project down. I doubt it might happen to a theoretical finished version of GTA: Liberty City as a project to port a game to a derivative engine is much more niche, it isn't something that would catch the eye of Take2 unlike the release of source code. But there's a risk that shouldn't even exist in the first place.

Honestly this whole situation is the best damn argument I've ever seen that works should automatically become public domain after 15-20 years. Copyright is intended to prevent people from distributing the works, not halt progress and preservation efforts. Use of re3 still requires you to own an original copy of GTA3, it might be against the law but it's not against the spirit of the law at all.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, MeatSafeMurderer said:

Honestly this whole situation is the best damn argument I've ever seen that works should automatically become public domain after 15-20 years. Copyright is intended to prevent people from distributing the works, not halt progress and preservation efforts. Use of re3 still requires you to own an original copy of GTA3, it might be against the law but it's not against the spirit of the law at all.

The other funny part is that while the original GTA: Liberty City project might've been legally dubious because it came with GTA3 files, doing something similar with reVC could've required the user to have the GTA3 files along with VC since sharing code between the two could lead to compatibility for different file formats. So it might've aided in selling more copies of both games now that there is not only a much more convenient, compatible and polished way to play both, but a version of GTA3 that has gameplay\QoL enhancements over its original version, all needing the original files you can buy from Steam.

• Like 3
gamerzworld
On 2/23/2021 at 6:55 PM, lpgunit said:

Has anyone even considered bringing this to the attention of the Electronic Frontier Foundation? Assuming that no proprietary code from R* or its partners was ever used (libRW for one is a libre Renderware implementation) and that the code was obtained cleanly i.e. not simply kanged off what R* leaked, you still have a chance to fight off these legal vultures.

aap mentioned on Discord they were asking for Github's help under the Developer Defense Fund they created after the yt-dl fiasco. That is, if it even turns out to be Take-Two who initiated the take down.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, gamerzworld said:

aap mentioned on Discord they were asking for Github's help under the Developer Defense Fund they created after the yt-dl fiasco. That is, if it even turns out to be Take-Two who initiated the take down.

Yeah, he did tell me about it on Discord some time ago. Though I'm sure the EFF would be more than happy to help out given how such legal issues are their bread and butter.

10 hours ago, Staunton Assassin said:

That would've happened already if Take-Two hadn't axed this project...

i cry everytiem

I hope they find a legal way to make this possible i still have faith in this project or open rw mod success

7 hours ago, Petrolhex said:

I don't think so. It could be possible to finish GTA: Liberty City by brute forcing all the necessary changes, but not with the use of re3 code. Projects like ReactOS require contributors to never look at leaked Microsoft code (which happened to 2000, XP and Server 2003 iirc) for fear that it might lead to them shutting the entire project down. I doubt it might happen to a theoretical finished version of GTA: Liberty City as a project to port a game to a derivative engine is much more niche, it isn't something that would catch the eye of Take2 unlike the release of source code. But there's a risk that shouldn't even exist in the first place.

I am taking less the law itself by the on the ground reality. Windows is a product that is currently making Microsoft huge profits. It is actively under development and has been for decades, defending it legally is a very compelling pursuit that without question would pay off. Anything pre vice city stories is honestly unable to even attract a level of investment required for war drum to do bug fixes of the ports.

If not for the issues connected to the licenses around renderware, there is a pretty good chance honestly that Rockstar might very well have released the source code of these games themselves. FiveM is a much bigger risk to rockstar than RE3 could ever be, if anything Rockstar stands to gain sales from the revitalization of these games. Honestly I think the risks of just moving to gitlab are pretty minimal these games are at this point simply too old.

https://github.com/n64decomp

• Like 3
MeatSafeMurderer
1 hour ago, Atton said:

If not for the issues connected to the licenses around renderware, there is a pretty good chance honestly that Rockstar might very well have released the source code of these games themselves.

If that were true they would've gutted RenderWare out of the engine and released it sans proprietary code, leaving us to fill in the gaps on our own, but they didn't do that. The truth is that Rockstar + Take2 really don't give a f*ck about preservation.

• Like 3
  • YEE 1

After looking at source and seeing how much of a mess it is and how much stuff is hardcoded and limited, which we of course already knew about after so many years of modding the game, I can only come to conclusion that OpenRW must go on and its the future for the game, rewritten engine with as less hacks and hardcoded bullsh*t as possible, while feeling as close to original as possible.

Anyway, can somebody explain to me why cars start twisting and growing in size after picked up by crusher crane (and performing ghost car glitch), can somebody suggest which file or line is responsible for that?

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Atton said:

I am taking less the law itself by the on the ground reality. Windows is a product that is currently making Microsoft huge profits. It is actively under development and has been for decades, defending it legally is a very compelling pursuit that without question would pay off. Anything pre vice city stories is honestly unable to even attract a level of investment required for war drum to do bug fixes of the ports.

If not for the issues connected to the licenses around renderware, there is a pretty good chance honestly that Rockstar might very well have released the source code of these games themselves. FiveM is a much bigger risk to rockstar than RE3 could ever be, if anything Rockstar stands to gain sales from the revitalization of these games. Honestly I think the risks of just moving to gitlab are pretty minimal these games are at this point simply too old.

https://github.com/n64decomp

Those are good points, its just that other actions taken by Take2 gives a vindictive air around them. Moving to a different host like GitLab or GitGud.io would be a great idea if Take2 doesn't send spies after the devs.

• Like 2
Pooka Mustard

At this point, to mod, remix, rewrite, or do anything with the media we know and love, we might as well use Tor and relegate all of that stuff to the dark web, away from the eyes of those unregulated mini-governme- I mean private corporations, and hope they don't shut down the sites involved or get high profile raids.

Well, at least if these companies were regulated, we'd end up with even better things like slowing down climate change!

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Pooka Mustard said:

At this point, to mod, remix, rewrite, or do anything with the media we know and love, we might as well use Tor and relegate all of that stuff to the dark web, away from the eyes of those unregulated mini-governme- I mean private corporations, and hope they don't shut down the sites involved or get high profile raids.

Well, at least if these companies were regulated, we'd end up with even better things like slowing down climate change!

Tesla motors has done virtually every bit of the heavy lifting on that issue. Controlling carbon emissions is a non starter until you have cars and power sources that don't emit carbon. Still I cannot agree more this stuff needs to be kept out of sight of major corps.

On 3/3/2021 at 11:48 AM, Atton said:

Tesla motors has done virtually every bit of the heavy lifting on that issue. Controlling carbon emissions is a non starter until you have cars and power sources that don't emit carbon. Still I cannot agree more this stuff needs to be kept out of sight of major corps.

Same goes with Android. It was initially hailed as the anti-iOS, like, the more grassroots and open alternative to other mobile operating systems, but as Google dabbled more into it Android gradually became the very same thing people hate, with all the proprietary software Google used in place of the AOSP stuff as well as locking down certain aspects such as with scoped storage aka restricted access to user directories especially on the SD card. Don't get me wrong, Android is still fun to work around with, but I'd like to try out the likes of postmarketOS as it's far from the crap Google spits out on their devices.

• Like 1
MeatSafeMurderer
1 hour ago, lpgunit said:

Same goes with Android. It was initially hailed as the anti-iOS, like, the more grassroots and open alternative to other mobile operating systems, but as Google dabbled more into it Android gradually became the very same thing people hate, with all the proprietary software Google used in place of the AOSP stuff as well as locking down certain aspects such as with scoped storage aka restricted access to user directories especially on the SD card. Don't get me wrong, Android is still fun to work around with, but I'd like to try out the likes of postmarketOS as it's far from the crap Google spits out on their devices.

My biggest problem with Android is that Google (and others) actively disincentivise running AOSP / custom code. To root, install roms, etc, you need to unlock the bootloader and these days if your bootloader is unlocked getting SafetyNet to pass is a bitch...and if your device can't pass SafetyNet there's a bunch of apps you just can't use. There's the obvious, like Google Pay (although I'll decide whether or not my device is secure enough to use contactless, thank you very much, Google) but then there's nonsensical stuff that checks it for no goddamn reason. It's clear that although the option is there to do what you want with your device Google et al do not want you to actually do what you want.

• Like 2

Please help me!Visual studio notified me that a head file named rw.h which included in rwcore.h cannot be found when I tempt to compile re3. Thank you very much!!

MeatSafeMurderer
9 minutes ago, playbour said:

Please help me!Visual studio notified me that a head file named rw.h which included in rwcore.h cannot be found when I tempt to compile re3. Thank you very much!!

You need to make sure you have all the dependencies, specifically in this case librw.
https://github.com/aap/librw

For those who want LCS & VCS on PC – there is PSP version in PPSSPP emu , with true widescreen support & hud scaled ( initially designed only for 16:9 aspect ) and this is SINGLE game pair of all "III-era" history ... with correct widescreen . LoL
Second "fully widescreen support" game — GTA IV .

Edited by bestia
1 hour ago, bestia said:

For those who want LCS & VCS on PC – there is PSP version in PPSSPP emu , with true widescreen support & hud scaled ( initially designed only for 16:9 aspect ) and this is SINGLE game pair of all "III-era" history ... with correct widescreen . LoL

can you not

2 hours ago, bestia said:

Actually VCS on PS2 is better is it has extra content added comparing to PSP. LCS PS2 is bad port, but since we have Android version or Vice City mod called RE: Liberty City Stories, you dont need psp emu.

17 hours ago, MeatSafeMurderer said:

My biggest problem with Android is that Google (and others) actively dis-incentivise running AOSP / custom code. To root, install roms, etc, you need to unlock the bootloader and these days if your bootloader is unlocked getting SafetyNet to pass is a bitch...and if your device can't pass SafetyNet there's a bunch of apps you just can't use. There's the obvious, like Google Pay (although I'll decide whether or not my device is secure enough to use contactless, thank you very much, Google) but then there's nonsensical stuff that checks it for no goddamn reason. It's clear that although the option is there to do what you want with your device Google et al do not want you to actually do what you want.

Exactly. What's the point of it being open-source when you're going to greedily commoditise it anyway? So much for "don't be evil."

• Like 2
MeatSafeMurderer
4 minutes ago, lpgunit said:

Exactly. What's the point of it being open-source when you're going to greedily commoditise it anyway? So much for "don't be evil."

Fun fact: Having already retired it as their motto a few years ago in 2018 Google completely scrubbed "don't be evil" from their code of conduct. I guess even they realised continuing to use it was in poor taste.

• Like 2
Just now, MeatSafeMurderer said:

Fun fact: Having already retired it as their motto a few years ago in 2018 Google completely scrubbed "don't be evil" from their code of conduct. I guess even they realised continuing to use it was in poor taste.

They couldn't stomach the hypocrisy lel.

But yeah, open-source or not, if a corporation is at the helm of things like this, they'd surely mess it up somewhere. EA open-sourcing the first two Command & Conquer games doesn't excuse them from their evil practices. And I think it would be the same if R* somehow released the sources to the original GTA at the very least.

• Like 4
brad86

Man, If only the PS2 versions were reverse engineered. As cool as this project is, they're still the PC ports at the end of the day, and need a lot of the same mods we currently use trying to get them up to par with how the games should look and feel.

• Like 1