Jump to content

GTA III and Vice City fully reverse engineered


The Hero

Recommended Posts

MeatSafeMurderer
3 minutes ago, Petrolhex said:

I don't think so. It could be possible to finish GTA: Liberty City by brute forcing all the necessary changes, but not with the use of re3 code. Projects like ReactOS require contributors to never look at leaked Microsoft code (which happened to 2000, XP and Server 2003 iirc) for fear that it might lead to them shutting the entire project down. I doubt it might happen to a theoretical finished version of GTA: Liberty City as a project to port a game to a derivative engine is much more niche, it isn't something that would catch the eye of Take2 unlike the release of source code. But there's a risk that shouldn't even exist in the first place.

Honestly this whole situation is the best damn argument I've ever seen that works should automatically become public domain after 15-20 years. Copyright is intended to prevent people from distributing the works, not halt progress and preservation efforts. Use of re3 still requires you to own an original copy of GTA3, it might be against the law but it's not against the spirit of the law at all.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, MeatSafeMurderer said:

Honestly this whole situation is the best damn argument I've ever seen that works should automatically become public domain after 15-20 years. Copyright is intended to prevent people from distributing the works, not halt progress and preservation efforts. Use of re3 still requires you to own an original copy of GTA3, it might be against the law but it's not against the spirit of the law at all.

The other funny part is that while the original GTA: Liberty City project might've been legally dubious because it came with GTA3 files, doing something similar with reVC could've required the user to have the GTA3 files along with VC since sharing code between the two could lead to compatibility for different file formats. So it might've aided in selling more copies of both games now that there is not only a much more convenient, compatible and polished way to play both, but a version of GTA3 that has gameplay\QoL enhancements over its original version, all needing the original files you can buy from Steam.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

gamerzworld
On 2/23/2021 at 6:55 PM, lpgunit said:

Has anyone even considered bringing this to the attention of the Electronic Frontier Foundation? Assuming that no proprietary code from R* or its partners was ever used (libRW for one is a libre Renderware implementation) and that the code was obtained cleanly i.e. not simply kanged off what R* leaked, you still have a chance to fight off these legal vultures.

aap mentioned on Discord they were asking for Github's help under the Developer Defense Fund they created after the yt-dl fiasco. That is, if it even turns out to be Take-Two who initiated the take down.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, gamerzworld said:

aap mentioned on Discord they were asking for Github's help under the Developer Defense Fund they created after the yt-dl fiasco. That is, if it even turns out to be Take-Two who initiated the take down.

Yeah, he did tell me about it on Discord some time ago. Though I'm sure the EFF would be more than happy to help out given how such legal issues are their bread and butter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

-Gaming4Life-
10 hours ago, Staunton Assassin said:

That would've happened already if Take-Two hadn't axed this project...

i cry everytiem

I hope they find a legal way to make this possible i still have faith in this project or open rw mod success

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Petrolhex said:

I don't think so. It could be possible to finish GTA: Liberty City by brute forcing all the necessary changes, but not with the use of re3 code. Projects like ReactOS require contributors to never look at leaked Microsoft code (which happened to 2000, XP and Server 2003 iirc) for fear that it might lead to them shutting the entire project down. I doubt it might happen to a theoretical finished version of GTA: Liberty City as a project to port a game to a derivative engine is much more niche, it isn't something that would catch the eye of Take2 unlike the release of source code. But there's a risk that shouldn't even exist in the first place.

I am taking less the law itself by the on the ground reality. Windows is a product that is currently making Microsoft huge profits. It is actively under development and has been for decades, defending it legally is a very compelling pursuit that without question would pay off. Anything pre vice city stories is honestly unable to even attract a level of investment required for war drum to do bug fixes of the ports.

If not for the issues connected to the licenses around renderware, there is a pretty good chance honestly that Rockstar might very well have released the source code of these games themselves. FiveM is a much bigger risk to rockstar than RE3 could ever be, if anything Rockstar stands to gain sales from the revitalization of these games. Honestly I think the risks of just moving to gitlab are pretty minimal these games are at this point simply too old.

https://github.com/n64decomp

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

MeatSafeMurderer
1 hour ago, Atton said:

If not for the issues connected to the licenses around renderware, there is a pretty good chance honestly that Rockstar might very well have released the source code of these games themselves.

If that were true they would've gutted RenderWare out of the engine and released it sans proprietary code, leaving us to fill in the gaps on our own, but they didn't do that. The truth is that Rockstar + Take2 really don't give a f*ck about preservation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After looking at source and seeing how much of a mess it is and how much stuff is hardcoded and limited, which we of course already knew about after so many years of modding the game, I can only come to conclusion that OpenRW must go on and its the future for the game, rewritten engine with as less hacks and hardcoded bullsh*t as possible, while feeling as close to original as possible.

 

Anyway, can somebody explain to me why cars start twisting and growing in size after picked up by crusher crane (and performing ghost car glitch), can somebody suggest which file or line is responsible for that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Atton said:

I am taking less the law itself by the on the ground reality. Windows is a product that is currently making Microsoft huge profits. It is actively under development and has been for decades, defending it legally is a very compelling pursuit that without question would pay off. Anything pre vice city stories is honestly unable to even attract a level of investment required for war drum to do bug fixes of the ports.

If not for the issues connected to the licenses around renderware, there is a pretty good chance honestly that Rockstar might very well have released the source code of these games themselves. FiveM is a much bigger risk to rockstar than RE3 could ever be, if anything Rockstar stands to gain sales from the revitalization of these games. Honestly I think the risks of just moving to gitlab are pretty minimal these games are at this point simply too old.

https://github.com/n64decomp

Those are good points, its just that other actions taken by Take2 gives a vindictive air around them. Moving to a different host like GitLab or GitGud.io would be a great idea if Take2 doesn't send spies after the devs.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pooka Mustard

At this point, to mod, remix, rewrite, or do anything with the media we know and love, we might as well use Tor and relegate all of that stuff to the dark web, away from the eyes of those unregulated mini-governme- I mean private corporations, and hope they don't shut down the sites involved or get high profile raids.

 

Well, at least if these companies were regulated, we'd end up with even better things like slowing down climate change!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

greggrulzok

Cant the devs just move to gitlab or make another repo? doubt that T2 would try to take it down again.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Pooka Mustard said:

At this point, to mod, remix, rewrite, or do anything with the media we know and love, we might as well use Tor and relegate all of that stuff to the dark web, away from the eyes of those unregulated mini-governme- I mean private corporations, and hope they don't shut down the sites involved or get high profile raids.

 

Well, at least if these companies were regulated, we'd end up with even better things like slowing down climate change!

Tesla motors has done virtually every bit of the heavy lifting on that issue. Controlling carbon emissions is a non starter until you have cars and power sources that don't emit carbon. Still I cannot agree more this stuff needs to be kept out of sight of major corps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/3/2021 at 11:48 AM, Atton said:

Tesla motors has done virtually every bit of the heavy lifting on that issue. Controlling carbon emissions is a non starter until you have cars and power sources that don't emit carbon. Still I cannot agree more this stuff needs to be kept out of sight of major corps.

Same goes with Android. It was initially hailed as the anti-iOS, like, the more grassroots and open alternative to other mobile operating systems, but as Google dabbled more into it Android gradually became the very same thing people hate, with all the proprietary software Google used in place of the AOSP stuff as well as locking down certain aspects such as with scoped storage aka restricted access to user directories especially on the SD card. Don't get me wrong, Android is still fun to work around with, but I'd like to try out the likes of postmarketOS as it's far from the crap Google spits out on their devices.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

MeatSafeMurderer
1 hour ago, lpgunit said:

Same goes with Android. It was initially hailed as the anti-iOS, like, the more grassroots and open alternative to other mobile operating systems, but as Google dabbled more into it Android gradually became the very same thing people hate, with all the proprietary software Google used in place of the AOSP stuff as well as locking down certain aspects such as with scoped storage aka restricted access to user directories especially on the SD card. Don't get me wrong, Android is still fun to work around with, but I'd like to try out the likes of postmarketOS as it's far from the crap Google spits out on their devices.

My biggest problem with Android is that Google (and others) actively disincentivise running AOSP / custom code. To root, install roms, etc, you need to unlock the bootloader and these days if your bootloader is unlocked getting SafetyNet to pass is a bitch...and if your device can't pass SafetyNet there's a bunch of apps you just can't use. There's the obvious, like Google Pay (although I'll decide whether or not my device is secure enough to use contactless, thank you very much, Google) but then there's nonsensical stuff that checks it for no goddamn reason. It's clear that although the option is there to do what you want with your device Google et al do not want you to actually do what you want.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please help me!Visual studio notified me that a head file named rw.h which included in rwcore.h cannot be found when I tempt to compile re3. Thank you very much!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

MeatSafeMurderer
9 minutes ago, playbour said:

Please help me!Visual studio notified me that a head file named rw.h which included in rwcore.h cannot be found when I tempt to compile re3. Thank you very much!!

You need to make sure you have all the dependencies, specifically in this case librw.
https://github.com/aap/librw

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For those who want LCS & VCS on PC – there is PSP version in PPSSPP emu , with true widescreen support & hud scaled ( initially designed only for 16:9 aspect ) and this is SINGLE game pair of all "III-era" history ... with correct widescreen . LoL
Second "fully widescreen support" game — GTA IV .

Edited by bestia
Link to comment
Share on other sites

jaydeedilla
1 hour ago, bestia said:

For those who want LCS & VCS on PC – there is PSP version in PPSSPP emu , with true widescreen support & hud scaled ( initially designed only for 16:9 aspect ) and this is SINGLE game pair of all "III-era" history ... with correct widescreen . LoL
Second "fully widescreen support" game — GTA IV .

can you not

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bestia said:

For those who want LCS & VCS on PC – there is PSP version in PPSSPP emu , with true widescreen support & hud scaled ( initially designed only for 16:9 aspect ) and this is SINGLE game pair of all "III-era" history ... with correct widescreen . LoL
Second "fully widescreen support" game — GTA IV .

Actually VCS on PS2 is better is it has extra content added comparing to PSP. LCS PS2 is bad port, but since we have Android version or Vice City mod called RE: Liberty City Stories, you dont need psp emu.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, MeatSafeMurderer said:

My biggest problem with Android is that Google (and others) actively dis-incentivise running AOSP / custom code. To root, install roms, etc, you need to unlock the bootloader and these days if your bootloader is unlocked getting SafetyNet to pass is a bitch...and if your device can't pass SafetyNet there's a bunch of apps you just can't use. There's the obvious, like Google Pay (although I'll decide whether or not my device is secure enough to use contactless, thank you very much, Google) but then there's nonsensical stuff that checks it for no goddamn reason. It's clear that although the option is there to do what you want with your device Google et al do not want you to actually do what you want.

Exactly. What's the point of it being open-source when you're going to greedily commoditise it anyway? So much for "don't be evil."

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

MeatSafeMurderer
4 minutes ago, lpgunit said:

Exactly. What's the point of it being open-source when you're going to greedily commoditise it anyway? So much for "don't be evil."

Fun fact: Having already retired it as their motto a few years ago in 2018 Google completely scrubbed "don't be evil" from their code of conduct. I guess even they realised continuing to use it was in poor taste.

  • Like 2
  • Bruh 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, MeatSafeMurderer said:

Fun fact: Having already retired it as their motto a few years ago in 2018 Google completely scrubbed "don't be evil" from their code of conduct. I guess even they realised continuing to use it was in poor taste.

They couldn't stomach the hypocrisy lel.

 

But yeah, open-source or not, if a corporation is at the helm of things like this, they'd surely mess it up somewhere. EA open-sourcing the first two Command & Conquer games doesn't excuse them from their evil practices. And I think it would be the same if R* somehow released the sources to the original GTA at the very least.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Man, If only the PS2 versions were reverse engineered. As cool as this project is, they're still the PC ports at the end of the day, and need a lot of the same mods we currently use trying to get them up to par with how the games should look and feel.

  • Like 1
  • excuseme 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, brad86 said:

Man, If only the PS2 versions were reverse engineered. As cool as this project is, they're still the PC ports at the end of the day, and need a lot of the same mods we currently use trying to get them up to par with how the games should look and feel.

You CLEARLY didn't try re3/reVC did you? You can use the PS2 files with it if you wish, and the graphics side of thing it contains SkyGFX/SilentPatch/GInput along with proper aspect ratio scaling. These wern't just a carbon copy of the PC versions but new builds that contained fixes and improvements along with more modern day graphical options.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Ash_735 said:

You CLEARLY didn't try re3/reVC did you? You can use the PS2 files with it if you wish, and the graphics side of thing it contains SkyGFX/SilentPatch/GInput along with proper aspect ratio scaling. These wern't just a carbon copy of the PC versions but new builds that contained fixes and improvements along with more modern day graphical options.

 

The game still has AA bug (line on the screen), square headlights, so these mods are not fully integrated

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, dragon1400 said:

 

The game still has AA bug (line on the screen), square headlights, so these mods are not fully integrated

But they are? Those mods don't tackle those issues.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Ash_735 said:

But they are? Those mods don't tackle those issues.

 

Sorry its the widescreen fix that tackle those issues. But we cant use that file

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, dragon1400 said:

 

Sorry its the widescreen fix that tackle those issues. But we cant use that file

 

You know they could fix these issues with the source code. But now after the DCMA its all gone, rip

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, dragon1400 said:

 

Sorry its the widescreen fix that tackle those issues. But we cant use that file

But here the render is done full frame, there is no line bug.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.