GTA III and Vice City fully reverse engineered

The Hero

BrainDeadRaven

Honestly I have yet for any of custom mods I've made for SA Android work on the PC one without changes...

Is it possible to bind hotkeys for debug features? I'd like to freeze game time by pressing the key and then choose a cinematic angle for a screenshot.

• Like 1

CharlesVercetti
4 hours ago, Mixander said:

Excuse my ignorance, lately I am interested in what happens in modding (I do not do mods, I only install XD), what does this work allow us or what does progress mean?

Mods patch either part of the original functions or the whole one in the game's executable to add features. This reverse engineering project helps in the fact that the functional, entire game code is now available, so any features we could add through mods can be directly added to the source code and compiled.

The progress - literally endless things are possible in the modding scene with the full source, it'd be much easier to tinker with core elements and add stuff which would be difficult under normal circumstances. There was PC version of LCS under works, now it's halted.

1 minute ago, TheodoreBagwell666 said:

Where can i find download link????

I guess you skipped all the DMCA camaderie going on here

BrainDeadRaven
8 minutes ago, TheodoreBagwell666 said:

Where can i find download link????

1) Did you even read this thread?!!!

2) its listed in here

3) asking for it increases the chance this thread will be locked

4) you could have found what the name was in the thread and found it with a google search.

5) your like that guy that goes up to someone he heard had coke in the middle of a crowded mall, and screaming, "HEY, I HEAR YOU HAVE COCAINE! 8 BALL PLEASE! WHAT?! WHY ARE YOU LOOKING AT ME LIKE THAT?!?!"

Life lesson: Read the room you walk into before talking/posting >_<

BrainDeadRaven

AND BACK TO OUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED PROGRAMMING! <(^o^v)

Seriously, somewhat related to this topic, whatever happened to the Unreal rendition of SA? <(O_ov)

Pooka Mustard
2 minutes ago, BrainDeadRaven said:

Seriously, somewhat related to this topic, whatever happened to the Unreal rendition of SA? <(O_ov)

Probably consumed by the children who really really really wanted the DMCA to exist.

• Like 1

CharlesVercetti
10 minutes ago, BrainDeadRaven said:

The TakeTwo monster engulfed it again, usage of SA's assets claimed to be the key ingredient on that occasion

• Like 1

BrainDeadRaven

In the GTA SA Android version I made a mod to get the gps coords of where he's at, I just had a mental image of him going through the city and taking a reading to use for a remap, complete with an orange vest and clipboard. OMG that would take forever.

The suckage.

I wish you luck, I have heard that you can do a vcs pc, but I understand the demands and that, and surely it would be a hard work, luck, I still don't know how it works, but that is too complex to understand xd, I hope that goes well

50 minutes ago, Mixander said:

I wish you luck, I have heard that you can do a vcs pc, but I understand the demands and that, and surely it would be a hard work, luck, I still don't know how it works, but that is too complex to understand xd, I hope that goes well

Haven't you heard? Project is busted. Any progress will mean consequences coming from Take 2

• Like 1

Pooka Mustard
1 hour ago, kubon352 said:

Haven't you heard? Project is busted. Any progress will mean consequences coming from Take 2

Still, his sentiment is in the right place. I hope the team make T2 and R* shove off, and wish them luck in taking on the children in charge.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kubon352 said:

¿No has escuchado? El proyecto está roto. Cualquier progreso significará consecuencias provenientes de Take 2

If I know, I only mentioned it, who would not want a complete vice city stories for pc ?, So, this is dead? :c

1 minute ago, Pooka Mustard said:

Aún así, su sentimiento está en el lugar correcto. Espero que el equipo haga que T2 y R * se larguen, y les deseo suerte al enfrentarse a los niños a cargo.

Thanks for understanding, apart from gta vcs is my second favorite, but I understand, anyway this was at least something great, damn take 2

MeatSafeMurderer
2 hours ago, kubon352 said:

Any progress will mean consequences coming from Take 2

Well...if I were wearing a cape right now (or maybe not...not all heroes wear capes) I'd be extremely tempted to contribute to the project under another name and just claim it's not me (taking every precaution of course to ensure that nobody could pin it back on me). It's out there now, once it's on the internet it stays on the internet, ALL Take2 managed to achieve was ending progress...for now...but I'm sure someone will pick it up eventually.

Has anyone even considered bringing this to the attention of the Electronic Frontier Foundation? Assuming that no proprietary code from R* or its partners was ever used (libRW for one is a libre Renderware implementation) and that the code was obtained cleanly i.e. not simply kanged off what R* leaked, you still have a chance to fight off these legal vultures.

Edited by lpgunit

MeatSafeMurderer
32 minutes ago, lpgunit said:

Has anyone even considered bringing this to the attention of the Electronic Frontier Foundation? Assuming that no proprietary code from R* or its partners was ever used (libRW for one is a libre Renderware implementation) and that the code was obtained cleanly i.e. not simply kanged off what R* leaked, you still have a chance to fight off these legal vultures.

The problem is that the decision was made to not do a clean-room implementation which, while not strictly necessary under the law, means that it would be an uphill battle to get any court to deliver a verdict on our side. Basically in clean-room design one team disassembles the executable, understands it and then writes a document describing what it's doing without a single line of code. Then another team that has never seen the disassembled executable writes their own program from scratch based upon the specifications and behaviour in that document. The end result tends to have some differences and some similarities regardless...but in one case it's a slam dunk easy win for the accused...in the other it's a protracted legal battle likely ending in a loss.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MeatSafeMurderer said:

The problem is that the decision was made to not do a clean-room implementation which, while not strictly necessary under the law, means that it would be an uphill battle to get any court to deliver a verdict on our side. Basically in clean-room design one team disassembles the executable, understands it and then writes a document describing what it's doing without a single line of code. Then another team that has never seen the disassembled executable writes their own program from scratch based upon the specifications and behaviour in that document. The end result tends to have some differences and some similarities regardless...but in one case it's a slam dunk easy win for the accused...in the other it's a protracted legal battle likely ending in a loss.

I believe the Mario 64 source code recreation wasn't clean-room either, as the ROMs built from it was said to be byte-for-byte identical to the originals.

I do see your point on the clean-room part though. Perhaps if aap did opt for that approach it would've taken even more time and effort to reimplement R*'s code, but since it was a ReactOS style undertaking they should be well-insulated as there's nothing to accuse them of.

• Like 1

I see no problem to give out it further , like on google-disk etc . Everyone can do anything on Their PC , and give out to All ... Just make it closed . 
It needs at first for modders , who make mods . I think it's still an advantage for Us . 

BrainDeadRaven
47 minutes ago, bestia said:

I see no problem to give out it further , like on google-disk etc . Everyone can do anything on Their PC , and give out to All ... Just make it closed . 
It needs at first for modders , who make mods . I think it's still an advantage for Us . 

They couldn't do it directly through here though. Best bet would be to dm invitations to an outside chat to have that convo. C'mon, now, we've been playing and in some of our cases, being criminals for decades, with a little forethought and planning, and attempting NOT to get busted, totally could be done, though obviously, I'm law and order everytime, and would never, ever suggest such a thing...

https://www.chatib.us/

https://www.321chat.com/

https://allotalk.com/

facebook.com

Disclaimer: I haven't used 3/4's of those, so don't take that as me vouching for any service, law and order everytime, etc, blah.

Edited by BrainDeadRaven
adding disclaimer

MeatSafeMurderer
6 hours ago, lpgunit said:

I believe the Mario 64 source code recreation wasn't clean-room either, as the ROMs built from it was said to be byte-for-byte identical to the originals.

I do see your point on the clean-room part though. Perhaps if aap did opt for that approach it would've taken even more time and effort to reimplement R*'s code, but since it was a ReactOS style undertaking they should be well-insulated as there's nothing to accuse them of.

You're correct, the SM64 disassembly project was...well exactly that, not clean-room at all, but it wasn't DMCA'd. Ironically some companies are kind of afraid of going down that particular road because it potentially leads to the doors being blown wide open to everything and everything getting disassembled. Also once it's out there it's too late and all you really achieve is pissing the community that made it happen off, something Take2 apparently didn't take into account...or perhaps they did, judging by the apparent lack of f*cks given by most people. The OpenIV topic was BUSY and this one is dead AF.

3 minutes ago, MeatSafeMurderer said:

You're correct, the SM64 disassembly project was...well exactly that, not clean-room at all, but it wasn't DMCA'd. Ironically some companies are kind of afraid of going down that particular road because it potentially leads to the doors being blown wide open to everything and everything getting disassembled. Also once it's out there it's too late and all you really achieve is pissing the community that made it happen off, something Take2 apparently didn't take into account...or perhaps they did, judging by the apparent lack of f*cks given by most people. The OpenIV topic was BUSY and this one is dead AF.

Regardless it's bad press for T2 imo, especially given the contempt people have over corporate-run studios (and anything else corporate for that matter). I'm not saying that aap's project is legally justified given the means he obtained the codes, but still the backlash is inevitable especially when the project was done in good faith and no art assets were distributed.

• Like 2

Pooka Mustard
10 minutes ago, MeatSafeMurderer said:

To be fair, re3/reVC didn't have as much time as OpenIV or whatever to become well known and popular within the community. While OpenIV has been there since GTA IV (apparently?) and supported V before the kids at Takestar took it down, this lived for like three or four days.

At this point, you're better off flipping the bird to Rockstar and Take-Two, and every other company that uses the DMCA as intended (like DMCAtendo) and make open source clones of what they're known of. I know it's a tall order (especially if you're gonna clone Grand Theft Auto), but the point is, these companies are sending you the message that you are not to share and do whatever you want with their entertainment that brought (en)joy(ment) to millions of billions. In turn, we should respect their unrealistic wishes and tell them that they can keep their content to themselves.

• Like 2

MeatSafeMurderer
15 minutes ago, Pooka Mustard said:

To be fair, re3/reVC didn't have as much time as OpenIV or whatever to become well known and popular within the community. While OpenIV has been there since GTA IV (apparently?) and supported V before the kids at Takestar took it down, this lived for like three or four days.

At this point, you're better off flipping the bird to Rockstar and Take-Two, and every other company that uses the DMCA as intended (like DMCAtendo) and make open source clones of what they're known of. I know it's a tall order (especially if you're gonna clone Grand Theft Auto), but the point is, these companies are sending you the message that you are not to share and do whatever you want with their entertainment that brought (en)joy(ment) to millions of billions. In turn, we should respect their unrealistic wishes and tell them that they can keep their content to themselves.

It was out there longer than that...granted it wasn't "public". I'm not sure exactly when I became aware of the existence of re3/reVC, but it was months ago. Of course...I'm not necessarily the typical case in that regard.
Take2 might like to rethink that strategy because the message they actually sent was that perhaps companies shouldn't be trusted with copyright for life + $AmountDisneyHasSuccessfullyLobbiedForToAvoidMickeyMouseBeingPublicDomain. This kind of stuff is clearly not against the spirit of copyright, even if technically illegal. It's kind of like when first incarnation of FiveM got CnD'd for the heinous crime of...daring to ensure that players owned the game...just makes you scratch your head.

Pooka Mustard
2 hours ago, MeatSafeMurderer said:

It was out there longer than that...granted it wasn't "public". I'm not sure exactly when I became aware of the existence of re3/reVC, but it was months ago. Of course...I'm not necessarily the typical case in that regard.

See, that's what I'm talking about. It may have been out for years, but news articles only picked it up a couple days ago. I myself only knew about it when news began popping up about it. So there was little time for everyone to "welcome" this new development so to say.

As an aside, even then, it probably doesn't do much new when for years you had stuff like CLEO for modding the games, or SilentPatch for fixing some of the bugs. The real deal was going to be in reLCS, which would've brought new stuff to the table (read: Liberty City Stories ports), but...yeah...

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Pooka Mustard said:

As an aside, even then, it probably doesn't do much new when for years you had stuff like CLEO for modding the games, or SilentPatch for fixing some of the bugs. The real deal was going to be in reLCS, which would've brought new stuff to the table (read: Liberty City Stories ports), but...yeah...

Other than ensuring that you're not stuck with a binary which might be incompatible with newer Windows versions. At least anyone with some programming knowledge could take the sources and port it to another OS down the line.

Not to mention that you could theoretically incorporate whichever patches or fixes the fan community has done over the years, or perhaps introduce a new renderer or something of that sort for the sake of future-proofing. There's only so much you could do with a binary blob, you know.

• Like 8

MeatSafeMurderer
4 hours ago, Pooka Mustard said:

As an aside, even then, it probably doesn't do much new when for years you had stuff like CLEO for modding the games, or SilentPatch for fixing some of the bugs.

Well...not quite. See I don't know exactly when I found out about it, but I do know how, most likely it was through the Vita homebrew scene. See about 3 months ago a port of GTA3 was released for PSVita. But this wasn't an official port, it was...drumroll please...one of the first released ports of re3! Can't do that with a pre-built binary!

Pooka Mustard
1 minute ago, MeatSafeMurderer said:

Well...not quite. See I don't know exactly when I found out about it, but I do know how, most likely it was through the Vita homebrew scene. See about 3 months ago a port of GTA3 was released for PSVita. But this wasn't an official port, it was...drumroll please...one of the first released ports of re3! Can't do that with a pre-built binary!

Damn man, the Vita. Best handheld ever. Too bad mine needs a repair and I can't afford a new one!

So...yeah, see, as much as we both adore the Vita that much, I haven't kept up with its developments for a while now. I actually learned about the San Andreas port sometime before the DMCA, and the III and VC ports after. But you do raise a good point. How's the Vita fanbase receiving this news? Thanks to Sony disowning the console, I can't imagine they're very happy that this happened to one of the best gifts they got in the homebrew scene.

• Like 3

MeatSafeMurderer
15 minutes ago, Pooka Mustard said:

Damn man, the Vita. Best handheld ever. Too bad mine needs a repair and I can't afford a new one!

So...yeah, see, as much as we both adore the Vita that much, I haven't kept up with its developments for a while now. I actually learned about the San Andreas port sometime before the DMCA, and the III and VC ports after. But you do raise a good point. How's the Vita fanbase receiving this news? Thanks to Sony disowning the console, I can't imagine they're very happy that this happened to one of the best gifts they got in the homebrew scene.

There has been a little discussion about it but while the github got yeeted with the rest the build is still available from an "official" source, so it's been pretty quiet. No comment from either of the devs responsible for the ports of either 3 or VC as far as I know, but I doubt they're especially thrilled since they have basically kept the Vita on life support and now their most popular (and requested) projects are just...gone...

• Like 1

DMCA takedown of the reverse engineered GTA source code be like:

...except replace "Balla dope pushers" with "GTA reverse engineers" and "Grove Street OGs" with "Take Two execs".