1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

It's funny how the most of us remember GTA as a childhood memory even that it is a +18 game

NikoLiberty2008

NikoLiberty2008

Although the coolest thing to say on school back on the day is that you slaughtered peds and exploded the entire city on THAT game, good times.

• Like 1

It's not bad parenting

It's smart parenting by destroying our purity 

I mean we all payed our childhood innocence as the price for being GTA fans as kids

I knew sex since I was 8 ( and I am not proud of this )

• KEKW 2
  • Bruh 1

To be honest, video games played in childhood can determine later choices. They can shape a character of a person. Even more than movies, or books. 

When I was a kid I played a lot of Grand Theft Auto III and then Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. I also played a lot of Driver. My favorite game was Mafia. I was really into it. When I was a teenager I played Grand Theft Auto IV. 

These games tought me English, but,  what is more important, they made me passionate about the United States of America and the American culture and society. 

Edited by Americana

I don't get why parents believe that video games inspire children to emulate the actions being depicted there. I mean what kind of kid is dumb enough to carjack a driver just because he/she saw it performed in a video game?

• Like 4
NikoLiberty2008
6 hours ago, Americana said:

To be honest, video games played in childhood can determine later choices. They can shape a character of a person. Even more than movies, or books. 

When I was a kid I played a lot of Grand Theft Auto III and then Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. I also played a lot of Driver. My favorite game was Mafia. I was really into it. When I was a teenager I played Grand Theft Auto IV. 

These games tought me English, but,  what is more important, they made me passionate about the United States of America and the American culture and society. 

I know english today mostly because of GTA San Andreas

• Like 2
NikoLiberty2008
2 hours ago, Americana said:

Yeah, same. It really helped that the publisher didn't bother to translate the game to Polish.

Yeah this pretty sucks, the only official portuguese translation for GTA was just on GTA 5, and as I didn't knew how to download mods at the time, I played for more than 1 year both GTA San Andreas and 4 without understanding sh*t.

• Like 1
  • YEE 1

It's the same situation here. Only Grand Theft Auto V was delivered with an official translation.

I remember that there was a very dedicated group that created a Grand Theft Auto IV translation. However, I'm sure that the group consisted of dedicated teenagers, so I doubt the translation was any good.

• Like 2
NikoLiberty2008
3 hours ago, Americana said:

It's the same situation here. Only Grand Theft Auto V was delivered with an official translation.

I remember that there was a very dedicated group that created a Grand Theft Auto IV translation. However, I'm sure that the group consisted of dedicated teenagers, so I doubt the translation was any good.

Although I can't say it wasn't useful, this lack of translation helped me a lot to understand english

• Like 1
12 hours ago, NikoLiberty2008 said:

GTA San Andreas and 4 without understanding sh*t.

Don't worry, I asked my Dad, for whom English was a first language, to explain what they were saying in SA, and he didn't know. I understood the subtitles, but all the "hoods" and "bustas" and "ruka" left a lot to imagination. We both figured it from the context.

Edited by Lioshenka
  • Like 2

My earlier life would've been pretty bleak without GTA tbh. I also imagine I wouldn't have had any of the appreciation for the older titles that I currently have, if I'd only first played them in 2012, long after a point where they would look "dated" to a modern audience.

• Like 3
NikoLiberty2008
13 hours ago, Lioshenka said:

Don't worry, I asked my Dad, for whom English was a first language, to explain what they were saying in SA, and he didn't know. I understood the subtitles, but all the "hoods" and "bustas" and "ruka" left a lot to imagination. We both figured it from the context.

The funny thing is that because of this I didn't knew that the N-word was so bad, luckly I learned about it before I started talking english on the internet.

When I was 5, I heard the word "blowjob" in GTA 2 and I kept on laughing

sorry for mentioning that word

• Like 1
  • KEKW 1
NikoLiberty2008
12 hours ago, JaeDan 101 said:

When I was 5, I heard the word "blowjob" in GTA 2 and I kept on laughing

sorry for mentioning that word

lmao

Yeah. I was 9 when GTA 2 came out and I got it for my 10th birthday, my parents had no idea what it was, violent video games for the most part didn't exist back then. At least not to the capacity of running over pedestrians for points and money. They didn't buy me GTA III the following year that's for damn sure. I waited outside stores on weekends asking adults to buy it for me. Eventually someone did thank god. The first GTA I could walk into a store and buy was GTA IV and boy that felt good. A lot of kids played the 3D games, a big part of why they were so desirable was because as kids it was hard to get hold of your copy. But yeah it was a blast, remember stressing for months about how me and my friends could save Lance from the scrap yard in VC. It was so difficult, even with cheats. Lots of heart attacks in my bedroom hoping nobody came in when the loading screens were up.

Edited by DarkDayz
  • Like 3

manhunt 1 and 2 were pretty much my childhood games as well im surprised i didnt turn out to become a serial killer or a lawyer at this age

Edited by DownInThePMs
  • Like 1