1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

PC GTA gamers, do you really use custom radios?

NikoLiberty2008

If you play any GTA on PC, do you actually use MP3 Player/User Tracks/Indepence FM/Self Radio? Or you like to hear the in-game radio songs instead?

• Like 1

Personally speaking, I'm fine without modding my radio. It would be out of place to hear music from different videos games or genres. I can just imagine playing San Andreas, then I hear Gangster's Paradise and start smirking about how off it feels in tone compared to the rest of the game.

universetwisters

Sometimes I do

• Like 3

Not any more. Used to love it when I was younger, because that's the sort of thing you do, mods and all - but have no interest in it now.

Edited by Lioshenka
  • Like 3

I do. I recreated K-Billys super sounds of the 70s from the movie réservoir dogs on my self radio, with the announcer and everything 

Edited by Spadge
  • Like 5

I primarily still play games on console but have GTA games on PC just to mess around and mod them. Regarding custom music, I always try and add music I feel would suit the game I'm playing or at most, some favorites from another game into the one I'm playing. For example, Savage Garden - To The Moon and Back is on my GTA V custom music. I think it really suits driving around Rockford Hills and Downtown Los Santos. 

Motorhead - Born to Raise Hell is in my GTA IV custom music as I think it sounds great when riding a motorcycle in Alderney or somewhere else in the city.

I avoid adding music that is released after the year a GTA game is set in though. 

Edited by Keano
  • Like 4
NikoLiberty2008
59 minutes ago, Americana said:

I did, back in 2009 when I could download free MP3 files, along with some epic viruses on my PC.

lmao this is strangely relatable

3 hours ago, Keano said:

I primarily still play games on console but have GTA games on PC just to mess around and mod them. Regarding custom music, I always try and add music I feel would suit the game I'm playing or at most, some favorites from another game into the one I'm playing. For example, Savage Garden - To The Moon and Back is on my GTA V custom music. I think it really suits driving around Rockford Hills and Downtown Los Santos. 

Motorhead - Born to Raise Hell is in my GTA IV custom music as I think it sounds great when riding a motorcycle in Alderney or somewhere else in the city.

I avoid adding music that is released after the year a GTA game is set in though. 

I used to put GTA 4 music on GTA 5, GTA San Andreas music on GTA 4 and so it goes on.

• Like 1

I only put some mid 80's Christmas music to my copy of Vice City after downloading the Winter Mod back in December, but unfortunately the mod didn't work so I didn't use the songs.

• Like 1
On 2/8/2021 at 5:34 PM, NikoLiberty2008 said:

If you play any GTA on PC, do you actually use MP3 Player/User Tracks/Indepence FM/Self Radio? Or you like to hear the in-game radio songs instead?

They're on the old Xbox editions as well. Sadly, you can't use them with 360 backwards compatibility I think.

• Like 2
universetwisters
On 2/10/2021 at 10:43 AM, Americana said:

I did, back in 2009 when I could download free MP3 files, along with some epic viruses on my PC.

Ah yes, I too remember the_offspring_greatest_hits.exe

I sometimes use the User Tracks feature to add a few songs that I wish Rockstar added, and would fit the time and place the games are set in. Otherwise, I just listen to the standard radio stations.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

For the 3D-era games, I made Billboard Pop Airplay top-40 stations for the week of each game's release date in the year the game is set.

For GTA IV, I put in all (but one) of the beta radio songs in, and tried to make the sound quality match the game, with levels losslessly normalized with MP3Gain to 98 db (which was the top level I found from using MP3Gain to analyze songs exported from LCHC with OpenIV then converted to 256 kbps MP3 —EDIT: if you want to downgrade audio quality to match in-game songs you should downsample to 32000 Hz and use high quality VBR encoding with low and high limits of 100–160 kbps), and I auto-cropped the silence off the beginning and end of each song with mp3DirectCut gated at a bottom level of -50 db so songs start on cue and don't fade out too long. Sounds good.

Edited by Magic_Al
  • Like 3

It's  funny,my GTA V User Music folder is 10 gigs and all of them are WAV,has 230 songs.

I used to have 2-3 songs or none for older GTA's but V  without custom music is boring imo.

• Like 1
NikoLiberty2008
3 hours ago, Ryz 92 said:

It's  funny,my GTA V User Music folder is 10 gigs and all of them are WAV,has 230 songs.

I used to have 2-3 songs or none for older GTA's but V  without custom music is boring imo.

I agree, that's actually the worst thing about GTA V, the radio doesn't look like it was carefully selected as the older games.

• Like 2
On 3/28/2021 at 6:30 PM, Magic_Al said:

For the 3D-era games, I made Billboard Pop Airplay top-40 stations for the week of each game's release date in the year the game is set.

For GTA IV, I put in all (but one) of the beta radio songs in, and tried to make the sound quality match the game, with levels losslessly normalized with MP3Gain to 98 db (which was the top level I found from using MP3Gain to analyze songs exported from LCHC with OpenIV then converted to 256 kbps MP3), and I auto-cropped the silence off the beginning and end of each song with mp3DirectCut gated at a bottom level of -50 db so songs start on cue and don't fade out too long. Sounds good.

Once in a while with GTA San Andreas, but that was long ago, when I was younger. I liked to drive around the map listening to my favorite songs. Nowadays I just don't see fun on it anymore.

ROCKSTAR MANIC
2 hours ago, Wolfman_ said:

Once in a while with GTA San Andreas, but that was long ago, when I was younger. I liked to drive around the map listening to my favorite songs. Nowadays I just don't see fun on it anymore.

I kinda know how you feel. It’s age, our imagination changes over time. Things that may seem fun in a while through time change our perspective. But it’s the magic of nostalgia that brings us back, the soul of the series is what keeps it alive. Appreciate those good times, they might be gone before you know it. But forever engrained in our memories.

I use the custom stations more than the normal stations

Edited by The Idiot
19 hours ago, NikoLiberty2008 said:

I agree, that's actually the worst thing about GTA V, the radio doesn't look like it was carefully selected as the older games.

Absolutely,i mean they could  separate Non Stop  Pop FM into  2 stations,some people like older pop songs but not the modern ones,some people are the exact opposite,LS Rock hardly has few Hard Rock songs etc.

Edited by Ryz 92
AutisticTorch

Very rarely. Tbh I usually just put on Spotify or something if I really want to listen to it because obviously if I leave the car the music will stop and I'm listening to it so I wouldn't want it to happen. Sure, it's somewhat immersive and all but I just want to listen to my music and not be restricted to my vehicle to do so.

Edited by AutisticTorch
NightmanCometh96

It depends on how I'm feeling in the moment. I find that I tend to listen to custom music the further I get into a 100% playthrough (for variety purposes), especially for SA and IV/EFLC since those are more time consuming to fully complete. I've been prioritizing "period correct" songs for each game (~2008 for IV, ~1986 for VC, etc.) in more recent playthroughs to make the experience more authentic, though.

I don't use the custom radio as often in III and Vice City, since you can't skip songs or make it act like an actual radio station with ads or DJs. In my most recent playthroughs for both, I just used a few of my favorite LCS/VCS stations respectively to "make up" for the lack of official PC ports of the Stories games. I also do the reverse if I'm playing the PSP versions of those games (and the iOS release in LCS's case). Having that feature on handheld GTAs is an underrated perk, IMO.

Edited by NightmanCometh96
  • Like 1
Panzermann11

Indeed I do. I wanted the radio to feel like it's part of the game in the first place, so I picked a bunch of songs fitting with the period. Once my Independence FM playlist is pretty much almost nothing but 2008 meme songs, it felt so shallow and unfitting so I gone through a huge overhaul to replace most of the songs fitting with the NYC theme.

Panzermann11
On 4/1/2021 at 6:44 PM, DownInThePMs said:

I put Skrillex in the User Player in Vice City sometimes.

Not trying to bash on your music choice, but putting dubstep on a game set in 1986 just gives me a goddamn heart attack.

Edited by Panzermann11
DownInThePMs
28 minutes ago, Panzermann11 said:

Not trying to bash on your music choice, but putting dubstep on a game set in 1986 just gives me a goddamn heart attack.

its the music of the future.

• KEKW 2