Legality for fanfictions?

Super Shizuku

Super Shizuku

I found someone started a DYOM project related to one of mine without asking for my permission beforehand and I read that it is illegal even if it isn't monetized. Can I be fine with it as long as it's neither monetized nor become more popular than mine? Though if it's truly illegal regardless, why do every single fanfiction websites are still active up until now? Also, in this DYOM Project, I used some characters from some official anime and japanese games to make a crossover between GTA and Japanese Literature but I mentioned the original creators' names in "Special Thanks" section in that DYOM topic, hence I treat this project as a fanfiction. 

Edited by Light Syde Riandy

For Me I Create My Own Story Line With Different Concept Style And Themes Of This Fanfiction Which i was Inspire By Talesfan93 Youtube Video That Combine With Japanese Anime 90s Era Philippine Action Movies Japanese And American Video Games In Additon Political Themes Real Life Events And Stories About Drug Wars Gang Violence And Terrorism in General is Way Different From Your Original Work.

I Ask For Permission And Support For My Dyom Project

Edited by Paulo Dizon

Fan fiction is mostly covered by fair use and.such. but all copyright lies with the IP creators; in the case of a GTA fanfic, if someone was to use some of yours, it's cheap but there's no legal issue as rockstar own the rights to it not you. If you monetised a fan fiction, the creators of the IP, e.g. rockstar games, could sue you. If someone made money off your fanfiction, you can't do jack as you don't own it.

Does that make sense?

• Like 3

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

087rqaU.pngVw81Z2a.pngxWvxZoT.png1fb6cYB.png

Click here to view my Poetry

Super Shizuku
On 2/15/2021 at 5:50 AM, Mokrie Dela said:

Fan fiction is mostly covered by fair use and.such. but all copyright lies with the IP creators; in the case of a GTA fanfic, if someone was to use some of yours, it's cheap but there's no legal issue as rockstar own the rights to it not you. If you monetised a fan fiction, the creators of the IP, e.g. rockstar games, could sue you. If someone made money off your fanfiction, you can't do jack as you don't own it.

Does that make sense?

Maybe so, but that still somewhat unfair. Imagine when you try your best to make your fanfiction very different than the others, it doesn't get as much popularity as it deserves long after you have finished it, yet when a nobody uses a portion of plot of one of your fanfictions, it somehow becomes more popular the moment he finishes it.

BTW, I forgot to mention that this project isn't monetized.

• 3 weeks later...
Mokrie Dela

The crucial detail is simply you do not own the IP to begin with. But even originals have this problem, a plot can be a vague thing and so many books and movies follow similar formats. Something written in the 50s but isn't super popular is 'sampled' for lack of a better word for a new film and the new film is insanely popular. If you write something original that you can copyright, and someone clearly rips it off, then you can fry ro take legal action but even then, proving they copied you, when your idea is probably inadvertently similar to something else or a more rudimentary concept (like revenge), could be difficult

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

087rqaU.pngVw81Z2a.pngxWvxZoT.png1fb6cYB.png

Click here to view my Poetry

BrainDeadRaven
On 2/8/2021 at 4:57 AM, Light Syde Riandy said:

I found someone started a DYOM project related to one of mine without asking for my permission beforehand and I read that it is illegal even if it isn't monetized. Can I be fine with it as long as it's neither monetized nor become more popular than mine? Though if it's truly illegal regardless, why do every single fanfiction websites are still active up until now? Also, in this DYOM Project, I used some characters from some official anime and japanese games to make a crossover between GTA and Japanese Literature but I mentioned the original creators' names in "Special Thanks" section in that DYOM topic, hence I treat this project as a fanfiction. 

Here's why monetized matters- lets go through this real quick

This is an international issue on the www, so the biggest question becomes, how would this even be enforced? You can get things taken off pages with complaints, but that has nothing to do with legalities. When Rockstar comes after people, getting criminal charges is alot harder then you think, they work off fear for non monetized projects, because really their only recourse is to sue. To sue for damages you need to be able to show how much you would have lost based on their infringement. But your product was making you nothing, and them as well, so how much will you sue for?

If this is something your worried about, stop writing fan fic, you don't own any of it, and you never really can. Write original content. That you can copyright, that you can own, that can allow you some legal protections. Alot of things are technically illegal, but if you can't prove damages its symbolic at best.

With all this said, its good form to give credit to all you borrowed from, this makes you look better as a person, pisses off less people, and produces less drama. IE, its generally the right thing to do. Don't get 'right' and 'legal' twisted as being the same thing, they just cross paths on rare occasions

• Like 1

Super Shizuku
On 3/11/2021 at 3:21 PM, BrainDeadRaven said:

With all this said, its good form to give credit to all you borrowed from, this makes you look better as a person, pisses off less people, and produces less drama. IE, its generally the right thing to do. Don't get 'right' and 'legal' twisted as being the same thing, they just cross paths on rare occasions

Like I said, I mentioned the creators i.e: Compile Heart, Idea Factory, Atlus, Nagaru Tanigawa, Kakifly, Kazuki Takahashi, and Kagami Yoshimizu in Special Thanks so I did give them credits. But then this nobody doesn't give me a shout out nor bother to make a credits section. I really can't let it stand, can I?

Paulo Dizon

I Deicide To Create A Dyom Series Inspired By Talesfan93 GTA SA Neptunia Videos

LINK REMOVED

Staff Edit: please do not advertise your YouTube videos.

Edited by Rhoda