3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Hunting with more than one horse in story mode PC

TimW120

Even though I have 3 horses in my stable, I was told the only way to use more than one horse to hunt is to steal one from someone in the wild.
So, after many times of getting caught by the lawman, I finally was able to steal, calm, and use a stolen horse to hunt. Fast forward to me returning to my camp (Chapter 2 Horseshoe) I have both horses, as soon as I try to take a carcass off my person at camp it automatically goes to the 'storage area' (??) over bt your scout fire (literally warps you from whereever you drop it, to the storage spot near the scout fire, with a blurb from the dude in the 'slash' hat)
So...etc...all works as intended with 1 horse...but when I dropped the carcass I had on my STOLEN horse, it warped me to the scout camp, said it put it in storage for 'safe keeping' or something, but POOF its gone, no carcass by the scout fire...nothing in my inventory...and my main still works as intended, drop carcass, it stays at scout fire. After all this, the 2nd horse is still saddled and at my camp...like he is ready to go hunt again lol.

Is the answer than this: yes...the only way you can hunt with multiple horses in the wild is to steal one, but if you want to be able to sell the goods from the extra horses do NOT bring your spoils to camp...go to a regular trapper/fence whatever.

I dunno seems pretty circus like to have to go through all this just to be able to have extra storage space when you go out on hunts. I would think it would be a staple of the story mode game.

If this is a dup I apologize, couldn't find answer. Best to all, thanks in advance, and be safe

You want to gather more animals? Play Online :kekw: There are wagons for hunting role.

It's ridiculous. Everything that player could want, goes to online. Wagons, off hand holsters, etc.

On 2/1/2021 at 11:07 AM, kubon352 said:

You want to gather more animals? Play Online :kekw: There are wagons for hunting role.

It's ridiculous. Everything that player could want, goes to online. Wagons, off hand holsters, etc.

Except that Online is nowhere as good a game as Story mode. Plus you have to deal with hackers, griefers and a bunch of bugs.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So then that is truth...even though I have a few horses stabled, I cannot take them out? Weird glitch, for some reason ONE horse decided to just follow me around for a few days out of nowhere, then stayed at camp next time I returned....I'm thinking I whistled somewhere close to camp stable and he was in earshot....no idea lol. Thanks all, be safe!

Why not catch a wild horse and break it. You don't have to steal one.

I never took them to camp but maybe leave your main horse outside of camp until you can deliver the stuff on the other horse? Also, just go to Pearson and give him the stuff without removing them from the horse. No need to carry the carcass to Pearson as long as the horse you're using is in camp.

Edited by StyxTx

There are weird glitches related to using multiple already-broken horses for hunting.  For example, sometimes one or more will stop folloy'wing you even if they are near you (I remember one time this happening as I passed through Strawberry), and they can just disappear if you take one of them into a stable when you have others following you.

In other words, you hunt with multiple horses at your own risk.   I tried it for a couple days and ultimately gave up on it.   It is just not worth the risk of losing horses.  I would not expect R* to fix the bugs, but maybe they will bring the hunting cart to story mode someday.

Montana Actual

It's pretty ridiculous. I've also lost a white Arabian that was at camp and the special ultimate edition horse which was also at camp. Just gone. No reason. But I have managed to have 3 horses in tow while hunting and not had a problem with them losing interest in my commands lol. I also save frequently. Like, very very frequently...

There is a PC mod out there called save editor. You can use it to return deleted/missing items that glitched out. Tons of other things you can do with it too. It only edits story saves that are on your PC.

Edited by StyxTx
10 hours ago, Montana Actual said:

It's pretty ridiculous. I've also lost a white Arabian that was at camp and the special ultimate edition horse which was also at camp. Just gone. No reason. But I have managed to have 3 horses in tow while hunting and not had a problem with them losing interest in my commands lol. I also save frequently. Like, very very frequently...

As far as I can tell the only horse that is truly safe is one that is at the stable, or was stabled at least once, has the saddle on and is the one you ride (or rode last).

Still, since Story mode appears to be quite dead (in spite of being very good in many ways), I seriously doubt R* will ever bother to fix the bugs.