4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Random Facts

GhettoJesus
37 minutes ago, paperbagdude said:

Upon consuming alcoholic beverages, ethanol is metabolized into ethanal (acetaldehyde) which is the intoxicating compound responsible for your hangovers. Over time, ethanal is then metabolized into acetic acid (literally vinegar) and later acetyl-CoA, which are the final stages of the metabolism where you slowly find the hangover receding. 

The trick is to create a drug that can accelerate the biochemical processes among the enzymes responsible for the several stages of metabolizing ethanol etc. Imagine a society where being hungover is past and you can literally attend work the day after emptying a case of brewed goods.

I have heard some people are perfectly immune to hangovers. I myself have never really experienced, the worst was waking up extremely tired but no real headaches or aches. What happens to the ethanol then?

Edited by GhettoJesus

paperbagdude
13 hours ago, GhettoJesus said:

What happens to the ethanol then?

Again, the ethanol is ultimately metabolized into acetic acid (harmless, excreted through urine) and/or acetyl-CoA. Also, antabus the prescription drug for alcoholism inhibits the aldehyde dehydrogenase enzymes from metabolizing ethanal into acetic acid. Thus, relapsing alcoholics on antabus will get instant giga-hangovers upon consuming alcohol.

13 hours ago, GhettoJesus said:

the worst was waking up extremely tired but no real headaches or aches.

My best guess is that some people are genetically more tolerant to the intoxicating effects of ethanal. My cousin for instance is completely intolerant, and has even been prescribed some kind of drug that makes her able to have a few drinks in peace (or so I've heard years ago). Also, should you by any chance be relatively tolerant to ethanal, your tiredness is probably linked to how ethanol ruins your sleep, as sleeping drunk induces less REM-sleep during the night. 

Edited by paperbagdude
  • Like 1

Wayne Kerr

The earth revolves around the sun at a speed of around 66000 mph.

Our Milky Way galaxy hurtles across space at a speed of 1.3 million mph.

Something to think about next time you feel too lazy to get out of bed. 😛

• Like 2

Wayne Kerr

During development of the game Batman: Arkham Asylum, one developer spent two years programming Batman's cape. 

Led Zeppelin’s reunion show in 2007 attracted more than 20 million ticket requests from around the world as soon as the band announced their reunion.

Only 20,000 fans (O2 Arena capacity) were lucky to watch this historic concert.

• Like 1
  • Realistic Steak! 1

• 2 weeks later...
Cutter De Blanc

I was wondering, and apparently the original lyrics actually were "you should go and f*ck yourself"

Wayne Kerr

Sharks existed before trees

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
ThatBenGuy1998

Texas is actually more heavily populated than New York.

sivispacem
45 minutes ago, ThatBenGuy said:

Texas is actually more heavily populated than New York.

No it's not.

The population density of New York is 421 per square mile. The population density of Texas is 109 per square mile. Ergo the population density of New York state is very slightly under 4 times that of Texas.

Texas has a significantly higher total population (29m) than New York (20m) though, but that's different from population density.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
ThatBenGuy1998

North Dakota says “y’all” less than any other state in the USA, at only 1% of their population.

• 2 weeks later...
ThatBenGuy1998

Alejandro Sosa’s actor from the movie, Scarface was named Paul Shenar. He was born February 12, 1936 and died on October 11, 1989. Despite playing as a Bolivian drug lord, he wasn’t Hispanic or even Latin/Romance to begin with. He was ethnically Polish and from Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Well, they had us going in the first half, didn’t they?

• 2 weeks later...
ThatBenGuy1998

George Washington’s teeth were actually half wooden and half ivory.

Wayne Kerr

'Bookkeeper' and 'Bookkeeping' are the only words in the English language to have three consecutive double letters. 

• Like 2

6-10 Billion light years away, there is a void in space 1 billion light years across.

It is completely empty of both normal matter and dark matter. It emits no detectable radiation or light of any kind.

Image:

No, This Is Not A Hole In The Universe

Wayne Kerr
Posted (edited)

@Carl Theft Auto wikipedia says that that image is of a nebula called Barnard 68 which is 400 light years away. 

Edit: you probably mean the Bootes Void which as the article says gets mistakenly referenced with images of Barnard 68

Edited by Wayne Kerr

On 7/4/2021 at 10:39 PM, Wayne Kerr said:

@Carl Theft Auto wikipedia says that that image is of a nebula called Barnard 68 which is 400 light years away. 

wooops, I should've made sure. Thanks for correcting me.

Wayne Kerr

No issues, space stuff is cool stuff! 

The tiny space in your face above your nose and between your eye brows has a name, the Glabella

ThatBenGuy1998

Pencils with attached erasers were invented in 1858 by Hyman Lipman.

Wayne Kerr

Saturn's rings were formed when dinosaurs were roaming the earth. 

• Like 1

paperbagdude

It's common for people to mix up dynamite and TNT. However, dynamite is based upon nitroglycerin (the unstable sh*t), while TNT is known as your more neighborhood friendly explosive of choice. The difference is found chemically. While both compounds each contain three nitro groups, such are situated around glycerol in nitroglycerin, while in TNT, they are connected to a molecule of toluen (hence the name tri-nitro-toluen).

While you properly don't need it anyway, TNT is fairly easy to synthesize by nitrating toluen with nitric acid and sulphuric acid (as catalyst) across three separate sequences. For each sequence, you'll be adding another nitro group, though anhydrous acids are required for the third and last sequence. Welcome to the watch list, bud.

Wayne Kerr

i^i is a real number

• 2 weeks later...
Wayne Kerr

Mouse sperm is longer than Elephant sperm

The world's longest sperm belongs to the fruit fly (Drosophila melanogaster ) 

• Bruh 1

60017 Silver Fox

I remember reading in one of my old science magazines somewhere that said that if you watch television/youtube and get engrossed in it, you're brain would react and behave as if you was daydreaming.  It was interesting because I knew that being glued to the screen would distract the viewer and make them not pay as much attention but I never thought brain-wise that it would be comparable to daydreaming.

-Aswell as earthquakes and moonquakes (from the first page) there are also marsquakes.

- An old prototype of one of the bouncing bombs that was later used in the famous Dambuster Raid used to be outside of the Petwood Hotel in Woodhall Spa, England. A few years ago it was removed for some reason (I actually saw it in person. It kept its cylinder shape but alot of it was gone, likely due to weathering and the metal being eaten away. It had a nice little plaque beside it too). Not sure if it was ever returned to said hotel but it was nice seeing it when I was last down there. I saw it when it was there and went back one day and it was gone. A shame.

- Many old steam locomotives in the UK were saved from scrap thanks to Woodham Scrapyard, Barry, South Wales, UK (also known as Barry's Scrapyard). The reason why they were "saved" was because the company at the time was focusing on scrapping the carriages and trucks because they were cheaper and easier to scrap. Because of this, 213 locomotives were able to be rescued for preservation.

Can't believe how hard it is coming up with interesting facts to share. Normally i'm full of them but as soon as I try to think up any to share, my mind goes blank. Hopefully the ones above are interesting enough.

Wayne Kerr
On 7/20/2021 at 1:14 AM, 60017 Silver Fox said:

Can't believe how hard it is coming up with interesting facts to share. Normally i'm full of them but as soon as I try to think up any to share, my mind goes blank. Hopefully the ones above are interesting enough.

They were interesting. Tbh whatever facts I share I generally find while reading an article on the internet or a reddit thread or watching a YT video, things like that hehe. 

Here's one I learnt about beforehand

Though swords have more romance associated with, on average spears are considered to be the more effective weapon in combat

Yeah Skyrim has dragons and all but does it have spears? No? Unplayable. 

Edited by Wayne Kerr

Alejandro Sosa in Scarface: The World is Yours was voiced by Robert Davi, who voiced Colonel Cortez in VC. Pretty cool, nae?

ThatBenGuy1998

A bolt of lighting is about five times the heat of the Sun.

In South Dakota, more people own rabbits than dogs.

sivispacem
On 7/21/2021 at 7:18 PM, ThatBenGuy said:

A bolt of lighting is about five times the heat of the Sun.

Not entirely true. The temperature a bolt of lightning reaches is dependent on the conductor it strikes. At its hottest, lightning has recorded about 28,000°C which is roughly four times hotter than the surface of the sun. However the core of the sun is a toasty 15,000,000°C, or a little over 500 times hotter than the highest recorded lightning temperatures.

• Like 2

universetwisters

Russia's wide rail gauge wasn't intentionally designed that way to be an inconvenience to invading countries; they just saw some wide railroads in Britain and decided to copy them

• Like 3

Wayne Kerr

At 53 degrees north, palm trees grow in Ireland. 

At 55 degrees north, there are polar bears in Canada. 

• Like 2

ThatBenGuy1998
On 7/21/2021 at 6:28 PM, sivispacem said:

Not entirely true. The temperature a bolt of lightning reaches is dependent on the conductor it strikes. At its hottest, lightning has recorded about 28,000°C which is roughly four times hotter than the surface of the sun. However the core of the sun is a toasty 15,000,000°C, or a little over 500 times hotter than the highest recorded lightning temperatures.

Sheesh! That’s so hot it gives me the heebie jeebies just thinking about it!