3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Official Vice City/State in the 1980s Speculation and Discussion

Patrizio

Patrizio

Hello all,

I thought I'd make a topic for those who want a place to discuss the idea of GTA VI taking place in the Vice City area and in the 1980s, rather than have this scattered across odd posts in the speculation topic. If this has been done I apologize, but I have cleared it with the mods. For me, this topic can include anything from plot ideas, real life history of the period, songs that were not featured previously, new ideas to make a 1980s Vice fresh again (as some fear it won't work).

I'll start off, for me, a reimagined Vice State with a fictionalized, Rockstar version of a Caribbean island/South/Central American country set in 1989 or even 1990 would work well. The plot would be set against the backdrop of the Colombians losing power in the drug trade and losing it to the Mexicans. The colours are still there, but they are fading away. I feel strongly this could provide a strong, grounded story, but also a fresh take on a nostalgic era loved by many while providing a past setting that many crave for.

This is not a past vs modern topic so please keep that out of here.

What are your ideas and suggestions? Any songs you think would be a must feature of a new, 1989, Vice City? Here's one from me:

Edited by Patrizio
  • Like 10
GhettoJesus

I would like to see a nicely detailed Vice City, something grander than ever before. They could also finally add Gator Keys. I would also like to see another large city, that was a missed opportunity in V. Something based on Tampa or Orlando.  A city based on Havana would be neat too if they don't want to do another Floridan city. It would be a nice contrast to see the colorful 80s in Vice City and a rundown Havana with cars from the 50s. I would also like a nicely detailed countryside around the cities.

As for the year, something in the 80s. It's a hard to say which year exactly, I feel like 1984 and 1986 were too good. A lot of people would like to see the late 80s but I think something between 1980 and 1987 would be great. I know, there is a huge gap between the two ends but I feel like they all have some great atmosphere to offer.

Finally the plot. I was thinking about a big shot criminal whose drug empire crumbles under him right at the beginning, either because of an outside factor or because of his mistakes. After the downfall he has to rebuild his empire from zero. On his quest he gets involved with petty gangs like Cubans, Colombians small time pushers and smugglers, dealers on street corners etc. and as he makes his way up he starts to work for/with influential criminals living in their own mansions. Or if Havana was in the game then the protagonist would somehow end up in Havana and forced to stay there (some SA like writing, he has a bounty on his head or something) until he is strong enough to make a comeback.
Alternatively the fall of the protagonist's empire, instead of falling apart at the beginning, could take place over time as the story progresses where in the last few portions of the game he barely manages to avoid a total failure and brings back the glory days.

I better hear this on Flash FM:

Edited by GhettoJesus
  • Like 3
  • fir thi bairns 1
Patrizio
41 minutes ago, GhettoJesus said:

I would like to see a nicely detailed Vice City, something grander than ever before. They could also finally add Gator Keys. I would also like to see another large city, that was a missed opportunity in V. Something based on Tampa or Orlando.  A city based on Havana would be neat too if they don't want to do another Floridan city. It would be a nice contrast to see the colorful 80s in Vice City and a rundown Havana with cars from the 50s. I would also like a nicely detailed countryside around the cities.

As for the year, something in the 80s. It's a hard to say which year exactly, I feel like 1984 and 1986 were too good. A lot of people would like to see the late 80s but I think something between 1980 and 1987 would be great. I know, there is a huge gap between the two ends but I feel like they all have some great atmosphere to offer.

Finally the plot. I was thinking about a big shot criminal whose drug empire crumbles under him right at the beginning, either because of an outside factor or because of his mistakes. After the downfall he has to rebuild his empire from zero. On his quest he gets involved with petty gangs like Cubans, Colombians small time pushers and smugglers, dealers on street corners etc. and as he makes his way up he starts to work for/with influential criminals living in their own mansions. Or, if Havana was in the game then the protagonist would somehow end up in Havana and forced to stay there (some SA like writing, he has a bounty on his head or something) until he is strong enough to make a comeback.
Alternatively the fall of the protagonist's empire, instead of falling apart at the beginning, could take place over time as the story progresses where in the last few portions of the game he barely manages to avoid a total failure and brings back the glory days.

Great post GJ!

I really imagine the contrast of an 80s Vice City and a Havana/Bogata mixture with much older cars. This is something they didn't do in 2002 and it would definitley freshen up the game. Good point about the time period. Perhaps even 1981 is better? One argument for '89 is it allows pretty much all 80 musics to feature.

Great idea with the story - a rags to riches story is a must again. Please Rockstar!

@AntonGandonBF3 Yes aren't you? Haha. The idea is it focuses all chat in this topic.

Edited by Patrizio
  • Like 1
VercettiGuy

So, now I can finally abandon the official discussion thread. People speculating about a modern setting just brings me down lol

Although I fear I don't have that much to add! Because I don't think I've ever read one of your posts, @Patrizio, that I disagreed with. 

In terms of music, I have many suggestions. Some were used in Miami Vice but not in VC/VCS, some I just feel would fit.

"Standing On the Outside" by Meat Loaf is one that was used in MV and IMO it's a really atmospheric song for night drives around Vice City. Same goes for "You Belong To The City" by Glenn Frey, which was used in that iconic scene with Crockett in NYC.

Other songs, not featured in either, I'd love to have would be "Shot in the Dark" by Ozzy Osbourne, "We All Sleep Alone" by Cher and "Thru and Thru" by the Rolling Stones.

I've got so many more, but I'll add them at another time, maybe in another post.

I'm just really going for the slower, darker songs that would fit with nightly drives or walks around the map in some nice car.

• Like 2
MrBossFT
1 minute ago, VercettiGuy said:

So, now I can finally abandon the official discussion thread. People speculating about a modern setting just brings me down lol

Although I fear I don't have that much to add! Because I don't think I've ever read one of your posts, @Patrizio, that I disagreed with. 

In terms of music, I have many suggestions. Some were used in Miami Vice but not in VC/VCS, some I just feel would fit.

"Standing On the Outside" by Meat Loaf is one that was used in MV and IMO it's a really atmospheric song for night drives around Vice City. Same goes for "You Belong To The City" by Glenn Frey, which was used in that iconic scene with Crockett in NYC.

Other songs, not featured in either, I'd love to have would be "Shot in the Dark" by Ozzy Osbourne, "We All Sleep Alone" by Cher and "Thru and Thru" by the Rolling Stones.

I've got so many more, but I'll add them at another time, maybe in another post.

I'm just really going for the slower, darker songs that would fit with nightly drives or walks around the map in some nice car.

Great music choice!

• Like 2
Patrizio
3 minutes ago, VercettiGuy said:

I don't know the others so I'll check them out, but Shot in the Dark? YES! Its SO Vice City to me. So atmospheric. Hearing this as I'm driving through a new VC, rather than some pathetic parody of the current political/social situation in a moden GTA? Yes please!:

• Like 1
WatchTheThrone

I've said this before but I feel 1978-1985 would be excellent. You'd get the main Miami drug wars of the late 70's and early 80's while having the classic 80's pop culture that everyone loved.

Another possibility is having it set in the late 80's, and explore the cartels reaction to the world shifting from coke to crack

• Like 6
Patrizio
1 minute ago, WatchTheThrone said:

I've said this before but I feel 1978-1985 would be excellent. You'd get the main Miami drug wars of the late 70's and early 80's while having the classic 80's pop culture that everyone loved.

Another possibility is having it set in the late 80's, and explore the cartels reaction to the world shifting from coke to crack

Well said WTT. There is so much potential to have a new Vice City that:

• Can be 80s again but fresh
  • Have a strong and grounded story
  • Be nostalgic yet different

@MrBossFT regarding cartels, I imagine there'd definitley be a parody of Griselda Blanco. Apparently a film is being made about her too. With J'Lo to star...

• Like 2
MrBossFT
1 minute ago, Patrizio said:

@MrBossFT regarding cartels, I imagine there'd definitley be a parody of Griselda Blanco. Apparently a film is being made about her too. With J'Lo to star...

Hahah! Definitely, it's like a perfect opportunity for Rockstar.

WatchTheThrone
1 minute ago, Patrizio said:

J Lo? she was good as Selena but IDK if she can pull of Grieselda. We'll see.

And if the rumors of a female main character are true I hope she's based of Grieselda. She wrecked havoc on south Florida during her heyday. Its actually incredible that the cartels didn't have her whacked for how much heat she was bringing 

Shockwave_NewOrder

some idea:

gta VI in 80's Vice city and some colombian country. maybe also an appearance of liberty city. (like those rumors from months ago).

then a year later:

GTA Vice City 202X. Vice city in the current day, also contains parts outside vice city like the verglades, tampa, whatever, ...

maybe the online part can be mostly from VC202X to "trick" more people into buying it

RenegadeAngel
1 hour ago, GhettoJesus said:

I better hear this on Flash FM:

Tough luck, buddy, it's already in GTA EFLC on Vice City FM😂

Music is a very important aspect and I have huge doubts it will be possible to top VC's unbelievable musical choices. For that reason alone I'd prefer VI to be set somewhere closer to the end of the decade as opposed to VC's 1984;  there will be more goodies to pick from!

• Like 2
Patrizio
2 minutes ago, RenegadeAngel said:

Music is a very important aspect and I have huge doubts it will be possible to top VC's unbelievable musical choices. For that reason alone I'd prefer VI to be set somewhere closer to the end of the decade as opposed to VC's 1984;  there will be more goodies to pick from!

Great song RA! Didn't know that one. I agree with you - VC in '86 and VCS in '84 means we've got either early or late 80s to play with. Late is better as it gives us a better music choice. One song for me that is a must is:

Shockwave_NewOrder

if they make this game: I have a cool idea for a mod/episode: "Tommy Vercetti".

A remake of VC in the new map. A re-imagined Tommy Vercetti in a similar story. they could also bring back Ken, Lance, Avery (with a new actor sadly), Diaz, ...

VercettiGuy
5 minutes ago, Shockwave_NewOrder said:

maybe the online part can be mostly from VC202X

NO!

Honestly, online is where I spend most of my time after I finished the story. It's actually kind of my main focus considering VI. 

I don't want a sweet taste of the 80s to go back to bitter modern online after the story is done. If online is modern, I could just keep playing V's online. It'll be the same.

And playing V's online ... well, to quote my favorite band: "Sometimes I feel like I'm beating a dead horse".

And since it's a new post, I'll add some more songs:

"Night Prowler" - AC/DC

"The Boys of Summer" - Don Henley

Also, I feel "In the Air Tonight" was wasted by putting it in VCS, so maybe add that one again.

• Like 2
Patrizio
2 minutes ago, Shockwave_NewOrder said:

if they make this game: I have a cool idea for a mod/episode: "Tommy Vercetti".

A remake of VC in the new map. A re-imagined Tommy Vercetti in a similar story. they could also bring back Ken, Lance, Avery (with a new actor sadly), Diaz, ...

With respect - no 2020s. This is for 80s discussion only. And no Tommy or Ken either. That should stay in the old era. The same way there was no CJ in V. Street art and easter eggs absolutely.

• Like 2
GhettoJesus
14 minutes ago, RenegadeAngel said:

Goddamn it and I checked Flash FM to make sure it's not in VCS but I didn't think about Vice City FM.

rjmthe2nd

Grand Theft Auto VI Ideal concept

Florida is officially retconned and renamed "Flores". The map of GTA VI is mainly focused on Vice City, with a fictional Fort Lauderdale tacked on, seamlessly making the South Florida area five times the size of the original Vice City. Cottonmouth also makes it debut in the GTA universe, as well as a fictional Orlando (Balloon) that features The Glory Hole Amusement Park. Everglades and the Keys are also there. Game takes place from the years of 1985-90. 

Players can also travel to Colombia, however if you try to travel by boat, the game will script a storm and sink your boat RDR 2 style.

Map:

Vice City (Miami)

Ft. Venice (Ft Lauderdale)

Cottonmouth (Tampa)

Balloon (Orlando) 

Neverglades (Everglades)

Gator Keys (Florida Keys) 

Colombia (accessible by plane only, similar to SA's plane system but the map is impossible to travel to without the plane feature.) 

Linear Locations:

Liberty City (in a couple missions)

Features:

Store weapons, masks, Drugs, in trunks, compartments of cars.

Guns can jam (older weapons) 

Dirt on vehicles becomes

more apparent if not cleaned for days.

Hair growth (brought over from RDR2) 

Weight gain (brought over from RDR2) 

Speech prompts (brought over from RDR2) 

Drug making Mini Game (similar to Bully Chemistry Class Mini Game) 

Drug Dealing (this is where Speech interactions from RDR2 come into play) 

• Like 3
RenegadeAngel

Late 80's is also a very important (some would argue the most important) period for hip-hop music. Tons of classics had originated during that time. VC is very far from being a hip-hop mecca, of course, but I'd imagine some of the songs would fit the setting well. Just a couple bangers off the top of my head:

Edited by RenegadeAngel
  • Like 5
Zello

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Vice City 1989 when the 80s are coming to a close and the colors are fading away. But crime and drugs are still going on strong. You're a new player in town and manage to piss off the biggest drug lord in the city who is not Tommy but is a new character based heavily on Tommy Vercetti different universes after all. You build up your empire, setup drug deals, take out all your rivals, and try to keep the cops off your trail.

Bring in Tim Truman and Jan Hammer to compose the score. Because it's in 1989 at the end of the 80's they can include all the songs that came out in the 80s too. They should go for a tone similar to the later  darker Miami Vice seasons.

The map would be South Florida. Miami, West Palm Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, The Florida Keys, and either include the Bahamas or a fictional country based on Cuba.

• Like 6
  • fir thi bairns 1
Collibosher

There are already two-ish GTA games set in the 80's Vice City, so if they for some weird reason want do the same setting again, I would want it to feel really different. I don't know how much they could change the "look" of the Vice City, but the overall tone of the story and atmosphere could be more serious/darker for sure. We all seem to have this romantic neon colored image of what 80's Miami looked like, but how much of it is real and how much of it is just "Hollywood"? (I would make a some sort comparison to the historical inaccuracies in spaghetti westerns and to their romanticized depiction of cowboys, but of course TV series like Miami Vice was made DURING the 80's)

I know R* can pull anything off, but I just personally don't wanna see another 80's Vice City with Scarface/Miami Vice references. I don't know what else the theme could be, but maybe something less "flamboyant" and more gritty. I would love to see R* exploring Vice City life and crime "behind the neon lights". Due to celebrities and jet set lifestyle, I feel like cocaine and Tony Montanas would be really "in center of the neon lights".

• Like 1
Zello
3 minutes ago, Collibosher said:

don't know what else the theme could be, but maybe something less "flamboyant" and more gritty. I would love to see R* exploring Vice City life and crime "behind the neon lights". Due to celebrities and jet set lifestyle, I feel like cocaine and Tony Montanas would be really "in center of the neon lights".

Pablo escobar and the end of his empire. I know it sounds cheesy to say "Narcos" theme because Narcos was based on real people and real events. Have the game end on the rooftops of a foreign country in an epilogue taking place in the early 90s and either our protagonist dies/other protagonist dies.

Edited by Zello
  • Like 3
RenegadeAngel

But what would you like to see in terms of the protagonist's personal internal struggles? Since GTA IV, the GTA protagonist is not just a dude who climbs up the ranks. We've already seen a traumatized war veteran with a strong need for revenge, an ex-bank robber with mid-life crisis unable to run a family, a psychopath who wants to be loved, a hood youngin who wants to escape the hood lifestyle but keeps being dragged down(not the best character, but the attempt is there). What would you like to see in the 80's VC anti-hero?

Edited by RenegadeAngel
  • Like 7
Kris194
3 hours ago, rjmthe2nd said:

Vice City (Miami)

Ft. Venice (Ft Lauderdale)

Cottonmouth (Tampa)

Balloon (Orlando) 

Let's assume, that you're designer. You got into very dangerous area here. You have 4 cities in Florida and now you need to make me not only see but most importantly feel, that each of them is different, that Orlando is Orlando, Tampa is Tampa, Ft. Lauderdale is Ft. Lauderdale and Miami is Miami. Making bunch of assets is ezpz compared to catching atmosphere of the city.

3 hours ago, rjmthe2nd said:

Colombia (accessible by plane only, similar to SA's plane system but the map is impossible to travel to without the plane feature.) 

What's the reason for such stupid, artificial limitation?

• Like 2
  • fir thi bairns 1
rjmthe2nd
57 minutes ago, Kris194 said:

Let's assume, that you're designer. You got into very dangerous area here. You have 4 cities in Florida and now you need to make me not only see but most importantly feel, that each of them is different, that Orlando is Orlando, Tampa is Tampa, Ft. Lauderdale is Ft. Lauderdale and Miami is Miami. Making bunch of assets is ezpz compared to catching atmosphere of the city.

What's the reason for such stupid, artificial limitation?

Outside of VC / Ft Venice the other areas would be condensed versions of irl counterparts. 

The Colombia map would be prepping to render as you're in the plane cutscene. I doubt the new consoles can handle all of my ideas though.

Besides, that limitation is more grounded then saying "GTA VI is the entire map of America with 10 Protagonists and 12 endings" 

Edited by rjmthe2nd
  • Like 1
EliteGamer_6
2 hours ago, RenegadeAngel said:

But what would you like to see in terms of the protagonist's personal internal struggles? Since GTA IV, the GTA protagonist is not just a dude who climbs up the ranks. We've already seen a traumatized war veteran with a strong need for revenge, an ex-bank robber with mid-life crisis unable to run a family, a psychopath who wants to be loved, a hood youngin who wants to escape the hood lifestyle but keeps being dragged down(not the best character, but the attempt is there). What would you like to see in the 80's VC anti-hero?

Maybe the protagonist is brought to VC to break his brother out of prison after he was wrongly accused. With the help of a drug lord in escaping the prison, the protagonist and his brother are brought into the criminal lifestyle and must make it up to him by working for the cartel's drug smuggling operation after his assistance in the prison break. During his journey, he changes and does more for himself rather than his brother's freedom. The story could focus on how money, drugs, and lust for power can change an individual into a person they normally wouldn't ever be. He loses his morals completely. Could kind of have a character transformation like Walter White. 

Edited by EliteGamer_6
  • Like 3