3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

Grand Theft Auto 1 freezes and crashes on Windows 7

DeathColdUA

Hi everyone! So, since i can't find any solution to my problem with GTA 1 i decided to make this topic here and ask for help cause really, i can't find any solution! I googled for two days to find the solution to my problem but there is nothing! Like no one plays GTA 1 anymore. 

So, the problem is that, when i start playing GTA 1 then it seems to work fine but after sometime, when i start the mission or finish any mission, it just freezes with some kind of crash. And when i open Task Manager, it shows that the exe file of this game is stoped responding, but there is no error message! This crash happens to me randomly and it could happen at any moment. So yeah, if anyone knows how to fix it then please, help me! Cause i wanted to play this old classic game but because it always crashes, i can't play it. And as title of this topic says, i'm using Windows 7 x64 Ultimate. Back in the days when i was using Windows XP, this never happened to me, but it happens on Windows 7 for some odd reason. And yes, i tried to fix it by myself. I set compatibility with different versions of Windows, i tried to put this game's exe file in to DEP's list (Data Execution Prevention) and i even managed to find GTA Fixer - the program that should fix this problem, but all that doesn't do anything and game still continues to crash every time i'm trying to play it. 

5 hours ago, DeathColdUA said:

Hi everyone! So, since i can't find any solution to my problem with GTA 1 i decided to make this topic here and ask for help cause really, i can't find any solution! I googled for two days to find the solution to my problem but there is nothing! Like no one plays GTA 1 anymore. 

So, the problem is that, when i start playing GTA 1 then it seems to work fine but after sometime, when i start the mission or finish any mission, it just freezes with some kind of crash. And when i open Task Manager, it shows that the exe file of this game is stoped responding, but there is no error message! This crash happens to me randomly and it could happen at any moment. So yeah, if anyone knows how to fix it then please, help me! Cause i wanted to play this old classic game but because it always crashes, i can't play it. And as title of this topic says, i'm using Windows 7 x64 Ultimate. Back in the days when i was using Windows XP, this never happened to me, but it happens on Windows 7 for some odd reason. And yes, i tried to fix it by myself. I set compatibility with different versions of Windows, i tried to put this game's exe file in to DEP's list (Data Execution Prevention) and i even managed to find GTA Fixer - the program that should fix this problem, but all that doesn't do anything and game still continues to crash every time i'm trying to play it. 

Can you share your PC specifications? Sometimes, PC games crash or freeze when your computer got PC specifications that doesn't fit in the game your playing

• Like 1
  • KEKW 1
8 hours ago, JaeDan 101 said:

Can you share your PC specifications? Sometimes, PC games crash or freeze when your computer got PC specifications that doesn't fit in the game your playing

Yes i can. My PC is Intel Pentium D CPU 3.00 GHz with two cores, 2 GB of RAM and ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO video card. And i think that this should have been enough for the old game like GTA1. Seriously! I don't even understand why you asking me about my PC specs when this game is older than my PC))

6 hours ago, JaeDan 101 said:

@RyanDri3957V what the f*ck is funny

you kept on reacting KEKW in my posts, even if there is nothing funny

your an 11 year old kid so please stop

Don't mind him, cause there is mentally sick people who sees everything as a funny joke. So yeah, there is no point in even talking to them. He is just trying to get some attention, that is why he sees everything funny.

14 hours ago, DeathColdUA said:

Yes i can. My PC is Intel Pentium D CPU 3.00 GHz with two cores, 2 GB of RAM and ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO video card. And i think that this should have been enough for the old game like GTA1. Seriously! I don't even understand why you asking me about my PC specs when this game is older than my PC))

I will do some research for you, I'll update you

and also, follow this topic so you can get notified everytime a member replies to your topic

7 hours ago, JaeDan 101 said:

I will do some research for you, I'll update you

and also, follow this topic so you can get notified everytime a member replies to your topic

Thanks. Also this is my topic, so the "following" was set automatically when i started this topic) Anyway, i will be waiting for your reply, cause i really wanted to play GTA 1, but because of that instant crash of the game, i can't play it. 

2 hours ago, DeathColdUA said:

Thanks. Also this is my topic, so the "following" was set automatically when i started this topic) Anyway, i will be waiting for your reply, cause i really wanted to play GTA 1, but because of that instant crash of the game, i can't play it. 

I got a some links for your problem:

This link shows about Windows 7, check this link first before the links below

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/303032/game-crashes-or-closes-unexpectedly

https://www.pcgamer.com/game-crashes-freezes-wont-run/

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/why-do-my-games-keep-crashing/

https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/computer-crashes-when-playing-games.html

https://recoverit.wondershare.com/computer-problems/games-crashing-to-desktop.html

1 hour ago, JaeDan 101 said:

Thanks. I checked all of those links but they are not GTA 1 related, which means that they can't help me at any way because, GTA 1 has it's own problems that need to be solved. Also the list of the problems that is shown on those websites that you listed is standart and banal, and i need a solution to why GTA 1 freezes on Windows 7 and stops working instantly, and not a list of standart recommendations that is known for everyone. Well, at least you tried to help. If you can't do anything else here then i should probably quit trying to fix the problem with GTA 1 and skip trying to play it, sadly. Thanks anyway, for your try to help me. 

I'm gonna assume you're playing the Rockstar Classics Windows release, right?

If so, then I'd recommend downloading Toshiba-3's Max Pack.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Ivan1997GTA said:

I'm gonna assume you're playing the Rockstar Classics Windows release, right?

If so, then I'd recommend downloading Toshiba-3's Max Pack.

Thanks! It works. Too bad that it uses DosBox but oh well, we have what we have. Anyway, you helped me so thanks again.

9 hours ago, DeathColdUA said:

Thanks. I checked all of those links but they are not GTA 1 related, which means that they can't help me at any way because, GTA 1 has it's own problems that need to be solved. Also the list of the problems that is shown on those websites that you listed is standart and banal, and i need a solution to why GTA 1 freezes on Windows 7 and stops working instantly, and not a list of standart recommendations that is known for everyone. Well, at least you tried to help. If you can't do anything else here then i should probably quit trying to fix the problem with GTA 1 and skip trying to play it, sadly. Thanks anyway, for your try to help me. 

I'll keep on looking for links later :)

On 1/23/2021 at 7:05 PM, DeathColdUA said:

Are you trying to play with an old CD version of the game? If yes, I think that is the problem. Try to download the Rockstar Classics version, R* optimalized the game for modern systems.

https://gta.com.ua/rockstargames-classics-free-download.phtml

Edited by totyak
On 1/24/2021 at 6:04 PM, DeathColdUA said:

2 GB of RAM

Your RAM is very poor, that makes the game crash. And also, Windows 7 is old

You should get a new laptop/computer that has at least 4GB of RAM, 2GB is very poor

Or maybe borrow a computer from someone in your house, maybe?

GTA 1 uses lots of RAM actually, 2GB can't handle that

• KEKW 1
  • excuseme 1
5 hours ago, JaeDan 101 said:

You should get a new laptop/computer that has at least 4GB of RAM, 2GB is very poor

"2 GB can't handle that" my butt.

GTA 1 was released in 1997, at a time when many PCs had 16 MB of RAM, 32 MB at most.

1 hour ago, Ivan1997GTA said:

"2 GB can't handle that" my butt.

Sorry, amigo, its just a little mistake

Edited by JaeDan 101
On 2/2/2021 at 1:46 AM, JaeDan 101 said:

For the old games like GTA1, 2, 3, VC and SA that should have been enough. So yeah, you are wrong cause even San Andreas needs only 1 GB of RAM and i'm not talking about previous games before GTA SA. Also, i can run even harder games like GTA 4, Crysis or any other more modern game and they works fine. So yeah, it's not the RAM that causes problems, it's because old games like this wasn't optimized for modern Windows systems.

On 2/1/2021 at 6:52 PM, totyak said:

Are you trying to play with an old CD version of the game? If yes, I think that is the problem. Try to download the Rockstar Classics version, R* optimalized the game for modern systems.

https://gta.com.ua/rockstargames-classics-free-download.phtml

Thanks. I will check that out.

• 2 months later...
On 1/23/2021 at 11:35 PM, DeathColdUA said:

Hi DeathColdUA, recently I faced this similar kind of isssue while playing Dota 2 and Battlefield.

I searched online and found these article that helped me a lot to fix the issue. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/303032/game-crashes-or-closes-unexpectedly

https://silicophilic.com/games-keep-crashing-in-pc

Edited by Russell18