4. Debates & Discussion
    3. Gangs

1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Using friends’ special abilities in missions

jkim_1

jkim_1

Has anyone used a friend’s special ability such as Dwayne’s backup or Packie’s bomb to make the mission go easier? 

Considering that I’ve likely had close to a 100 play throughs since the game came out..... for the first time yesterday I called Dwayne’s backup during the mission Pest Control. I called them as soon as Peg called me saying to kill Ray... they show up near Peg’s house and hop in my car. 

Many ppl complete Pest Control by simply blowing up the gas station... but this time around I literally pulled up next to Ray’s Oracle at a stop light and Niko along with Dwayne’s two backup guys emptied the hell out of their clips into Ray’s car and blew him and then his security up.... it was such a dope scene lol 

another time is in Dining Out when you gotta kill Kim Young Guk... before going into the restaurant I put Packie’s bomb in his car. After killing everyone inside of the restaurant while Kim makes a run for it... I then waited for him to get in the car and try to drive away and then boooooom. 

• Like 6
billiejoearmstrong8

I always feel like Dwayne's backup is "cheating" (even though it isn't really - I think I just like going lone wolf) so I haven't experimented with that nearly enough. One time I used them for all the assassination side missions and that was fun.

I've used Packie's bomb the same way as you in Dining Out. And also in Pest Control, you can locate the nearby parked car that Ray's going to be in before entering the marker to begin following him and plant a bomb, and then set it off any time you like along the way. 

I've also found cool uses for Brucie's perk in a couple of missions:

- In Museum Piece, after you've got through the gunfight in the main part of the museum and you're preparing to fight your way outside you can give him a call to pick you up a short distance from the museum in the park. You have to make the call from the north end of the museum (the opposite to the end you leave from - I do it from the staircase there), otherwise he'll go to a further away location and that's no good. Then once you get outside instead of having to kill or evade the cars of mafia goons just sprint over to the chopper, hop in and select any destination, and Brucie will fly you up in the air to safety and at a certain height the enemies will disappear and the mission will pass.

- In Portrait of a Killer, after leaving ULP's office simply call Brucie and have him take you to East Island City. He'll land on the roof of a building (which isn't accessible from the ground) directly overlooking the car lot where the target is located. From there you can have a close gunfight from above, throw grenades down on their heads, and when you feel like it either just use the marker that appeared when Brucie dropped you off to get down to the street, or hop on the fire escape directly above the car lot and go down that way for an extra dangerous and action packed option. 

Not forgetting Roman with the perk of being driven by Mohammed who is not only a delightful conversationalist, but unlike any other taxi driver doesn't mind if you have a wanted level. I like to use him in The Snow Storm. When I get to the drugs and the cops storm the place I give him a call, this results in Mohammed coming to the parking lot to pick you up. I escape the hospital and run as fast as I can, and simply hop in the cab, get him to take me to Chase Point near where I'll be meeting Jacob, and skip the trip. When you arrive the cops are still after you but you're outside the circle so it's extremely easy to lose them.

These are the only ways of using Packie and Brucie's perks in missions that I know of (I guess you could probably use Roman's to lose the cops in a lot of them, I just haven't tried it in others). I'd love to know if anyone else has found some!

1 hour ago, jkim_1 said:

another time is in Dining Out when you gotta kill Kim Young Guk... before going into the restaurant I put Packie’s bomb in his car. After killing everyone inside of the restaurant while Kim makes a run for it... I then waited for him to get in the car and try to drive away and then boooooom. 

Not a friend perk but another option instead of planting a bomb is you can just drive the car and motorbike away from the restaurant so he has no vehicle to escape in so he has to just run and you can easily chase him down. Cool alternative to killing him inside a vehicle.

Edited by billiejoearmstrong8
  • Like 5
jkim_1

I could see how using Dwayne’s backup makes missions significantly easier. A lot of players don’t realize how well skilled they are as gunmen. Interestingly enough, right after Pest Control was over after I used them, the mission That Special Someone was initiated... one of them actually came for the ride with Niko and Roman lol ... obviously made zero difference to the mission but they often stick around for a while until randomly Niko will say something like “party’s over you guys can go now”. 

I actually have never used Brucie’s ability to pick u up in a Helicopter during a mission, will definitely try it now that you mentioned it. Funny that you bring up Museum Piece, because the last time around when I played that mission, upon killing everyone inside the museum.... I used a rocket launcher to blow up all the cars in the entrance and actually evaded the Jewish Mob/Cops on foot through the park.... during my last play through is also when I realized the effectiveness of evading cops on foot in this game.. easier than GTA 5... I’ve been able to evade 3 star wanted levels just from running. 

Also is it true that Carmen’s special ability won’t work for gunshot wounds?? I feel like it has worked in my previous play throughs but I could be wrong as it hasn’t worked many times as well. Needless to say, Kiki’s and Francis’ ability are ones I use often in missions as well. 

• Like 3
Thelema93

I called up Dwayne's goons as I left the libertionion in museum piece..they were nothing more than mortal sacks of meat while I made my escape on foot, Cannon fodder to soak up the mobs bullets.. also very useful in smackdown.. I like use packies car bomb often.. dining out. I'll put it on Kim's escape car for extra insurance just in case I'm not quick enough to shoot him while he slides down the fire escape.. in liquiudize the assets once I slaughter every Russian I'll park the vans within radius of each other than put a car bomb on the middle one.. stand back and watch the fireworks.. 

• Like 1
Americana

Honestly, the only one I use is Jacob's as it's very convenient to get guns from him.

• fir thi bairns 1
billiejoearmstrong8
14 hours ago, jkim_1 said:

I could see how using Dwayne’s backup makes missions significantly easier. A lot of players don’t realize how well skilled they are as gunmen. Interestingly enough, right after Pest Control was over after I used them, the mission That Special Someone was initiated... one of them actually came for the ride with Niko and Roman lol ... obviously made zero difference to the mission but they often stick around for a while until randomly Niko will say something like “party’s over you guys can go now”. 

I actually have never used Brucie’s ability to pick u up in a Helicopter during a mission, will definitely try it now that you mentioned it. Funny that you bring up Museum Piece, because the last time around when I played that mission, upon killing everyone inside the museum.... I used a rocket launcher to blow up all the cars in the entrance and actually evaded the Jewish Mob/Cops on foot through the park.... during my last play through is also when I realized the effectiveness of evading cops on foot in this game.. easier than GTA 5... I’ve been able to evade 3 star wanted levels just from running. 

Also is it true that Carmen’s special ability won’t work for gunshot wounds?? I feel like it has worked in my previous play throughs but I could be wrong as it hasn’t worked many times as well. Needless to say, Kiki’s and Francis’ ability are ones I use often in missions as well. 

Brucie's usually isn't useful because he usually doesn't land to pick you up in a convenient place. You could use him more but most of the time he lands so far away from where you're going to or leaving from that there's no point. Those are the only two missions I've come across where the location means it's convenient/useful for him to drop you off or pick you up. In Museum Piece it's cool because instead of bothering to kill the enemies you can run past them to Brucie's chopper and see them below you as you fly straight up to safety and get the mission passed, it's not much of an advantage but it's just a smooth way to do it lol. 

I've heard Carmen's doesn't work if your injuries are from gunshots but I'm not sure, it seems to be kind of random whether she says yes or no to helping you. Like I always tried in Late Checkout once I got to the roof (since I tend to lose a lot of health in that mission) but it's never worked then. I'm not sure if it's down to the specific mission (like Kiki's and Francis') or because I'm injured from gunshots (or maybe recent gunshots?) or both, since she sometimes says no in freeroam as well.  

• Like 2
jkim_1
3 hours ago, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

Brucie's usually isn't useful because he usually doesn't land to pick you up in a convenient place. You could use him more but most of the time he lands so far away from where you're going to or leaving from that there's no point. Those are the only two missions I've come across where the location means it's convenient/useful for him to drop you off or pick you up. In Museum Piece it's cool because instead of bothering to kill the enemies you can run past them to Brucie's chopper and see them below you as you fly straight up to safety and get the mission passed, it's not much of an advantage but it's just a smooth way to do it lol. 

I've heard Carmen's doesn't work if your injuries are from gunshots but I'm not sure, it seems to be kind of random whether she says yes or no to helping you. Like I always tried in Late Checkout once I got to the roof (since I tend to lose a lot of health in that mission) but it's never worked then. I'm not sure if it's down to the specific mission (like Kiki's and Francis') or because I'm injured from gunshots (or maybe recent gunshots?) or both, since she sometimes says no in freeroam as well.  

Okay, I appreciate you bringing up that point on Brucie’s heli. Interestingly enough every single time after the final mission in the past 15-20 play throughs or so, I’ve always called Brucie to take me away from Happiness Island and many of those occasions it’s the only time in the entire play through where I had used his special ability. It’s one I haven’t used often. I’d also note that I’ve always had a harder time in maintaining a high friendship percentage level with him in comparison to other friends..... a lot of it is because I don’t feel as bad blowing him off... because realistically I could see Niko turning down opportunities to hang out with Brucie more so than other friends because it’s clear that Niko gets annoyed of him pretty easily. 

In the current play through I’ll try to experiment more by trying to unlock Brucie’s and Dwayne’s special ability ASAP. It could make the some of the scenes look so much cooler... it is indeed bad ass to see Niko running to the chopper in Middle Park and escaping a pretty major shootout in Museum Piece... also where I mentioned Pest Control and having Niko and Dwayne’s two backup guys commit a drive by Murder at the stop light was pretty damn cool and I was impressed with myself for setting up that scenario. It reminds me of the way Tupac Shakur was assassinated. 

• Like 2
Mascaracan

I always use the backup of Dwayne's goons in Phil's mission where you have to clean up the abandoned Sprunk factory and kill a Pavanos capo, I can't remember the name of the mission, Packie's ability seems useful too, but I usually unlock it at a very late stage in the story so I never really used it.

Most of the times I tried to use Dwayne's gunmen or Francis' help, I got a busy signal, I was only able to use Francis' ability once being off mission, it failed every time I tried to use it on missions -and I'm not talking about scripted wanted levels or chases, just in case-. Every time I re-play 'A Dish Served Cold' I call Dwayne for help just to get a busy signal again, so I rarely remember the option of using these friends abilities as they fail miserably when I need them the most.

I was about to submit when I noticed that I forgot about Roman's and Jacob's ones, in fact, I used Roman's taxis a lot in both off mission and on mission situations, the cheaper way of going from A to B in a very short time, you don't even have to hear the annoying driver if you are not in the mood. I also bought weapons from Jacob some times while doing a mission.

• Like 1
billiejoearmstrong8

Another thing people might not know is you can call Brucie for a chopper ride while hanging out with another friend or girlfriend and both get a lift from him. They don't interact or anything but it's kind of cool that you almost hang out with two friends at once that way. 

• Like 4
jkim_1
8 hours ago, Mascaracan said:

I always use the backup of Dwayne's goons in Phil's mission where you have to clean up the abandoned Sprunk factory and kill a Pavanos capo, I can't remember the name of the mission, Packie's ability seems useful too, but I usually unlock it at a very late stage in the story so I never really used it.

Most of the times I tried to use Dwayne's gunmen or Francis' help, I got a busy signal, I was only able to use Francis' ability once being off mission, it failed every time I tried to use it on missions -and I'm not talking about scripted wanted levels or chases, just in case-. Every time I re-play 'A Dish Served Cold' I call Dwayne for help just to get a busy signal again, so I rarely remember the option of using these friends abilities as they fail miserably when I need them the most.

I was about to submit when I noticed that I forgot about Roman's and Jacob's ones, in fact, I used Roman's taxis a lot in both off mission and on mission situations, the cheaper way of going from A to B in a very short time, you don't even have to hear the annoying driver if you are not in the mood. I also bought weapons from Jacob some times while doing a mission.

Hmm I believe after completing That Special Someone, you can’t use any friends’ special abilities until the storyline ends. I was also annoyed in my first few play throughs not being able to get any help for the last missions but it’s clear that they did this on purpose. 

I think a lot of players use Jacob a lot. He does come in handy when you can’t get a bulletproof vest anywhere else or need to reload on some of the better guns like the SMG and assault or carbine rifle. Roman’s taxi is very convenient to have when it’s a super far ride... like in Long way to fall gotta go from Ray’s restaurant in Little Italy all the way up to I think Northwood to kill teddy benavidez ... 

Mascaracan
2 hours ago, jkim_1 said:

Hmm I believe after completing That Special Someone, you can’t use any friends’ special abilities until the storyline ends. I was also annoyed in my first few play throughs not being able to get any help for the last missions but it’s clear that they did this on purpose. 

I think a lot of players use Jacob a lot. He does come in handy when you can’t get a bulletproof vest anywhere else or need to reload on some of the better guns like the SMG and assault or carbine rifle. Roman’s taxi is very convenient to have when it’s a super far ride... like in Long way to fall gotta go from Ray’s restaurant in Little Italy all the way up to I think Northwood to kill teddy benavidez ... 

Yeah, I assumed it is scripted in that way since the same thing happens again and again, and seeing that after completing the story, calling Dwayne for backup always works. But Revenge mission is very appropiate for using Dwayne's goons, but they can't be used because developers decided to do it in such way. I can't think about any other missions where they could fit as good as in that one besides Bell's one I mentioned previously and maybe Hostile Negotiation.

jkim_1

I just used Dwayne’s backup for Trespass where you gotta kill Charlie Matteo and also used them for Liquidize the Assets. I find that sometimes it’s more fun playing with them, feels good having someone on your side lol 

• Like 2
Algonquin Assassin

I use Packie’s bomb during “Dining Out” to blow up Kim’s car as he drives away.

It’s always fun experimenting with the abilities though.

Cheatz/Trickz

I really should use them more often. Even though they are far from necessary, it would be interesting to see the payoff for thinking ahead, such as in Dining Out. I will have to try that. 

I’ve never once used Dwayne’s backup before, I always saw Niko as a lone wolf type. 

Speaking of abilities though, Kiki’s and Carmen’s have saved me plenty of times. 

• Like 2
JaeDan 101

Last time I was about to go bowling with Roman, what I did is I called Roman for a taxi to pick Roman to the Bowling Lanes xd

Wayne Kerr
49 minutes ago, JaeDan 101 said:

Last time I was about to go bowling with Roman, what I did is I called Roman for a taxi to pick Roman to the Bowling Lanes xd

Can't happen, whenever you fix a hangout with Roman and then try to call him for car service, the 'Ladies this is Roman Bellic...' message plays from my experience. 

JaeDan 101
Just now, Wayne Kerr said:

Can't happen, whenever you fix a hangout with Roman and then try to call him for car service, the 'Ladies this is Roman Bellic...' message plays from my experience. 

that was a joke

Wayne Kerr
Just now, JaeDan 101 said:

that was a joke

Jokes are supposed to be funny

JaeDan 101
Just now, Wayne Kerr said:

Jokes are supposed to be funny

jeez, you don't know what I mean

It mean that was fake

JaeDan 101

Brucie's chopper ability is useless, you can just use the Anihilator Cheat, correct me if I got a wrong spelling on the chopper name

NikoLiberty2008

Only Jacob's hability is totally useful, buying some RPGs and grenades with discounts actually helps economize. Taxis are everywhere on Liberty and Alderney, and they are not that expensive, making Roman's hability not so useful. Brucie's chopper usually spawns not so close, making it faster going by Taxi. Dwayne's backup in my opinion is useless as sh*t, Rockstar improved a lot with Terry and Clay in TLaD. And Packie's bomb I don't know if it is useful, I just don't feel the need to use.

• Like 1
billiejoearmstrong8
16 hours ago, NikoLiberty2008 said:

Only Jacob's hability is totally useful, buying some RPGs and grenades with discounts actually helps economize. Taxis are everywhere on Liberty and Alderney, and they are not that expensive, making Roman's hability not so useful. Brucie's chopper usually spawns not so close, making it faster going by Taxi. Dwayne's backup in my opinion is useless as sh*t, Rockstar improved a lot with Terry and Clay in TLaD. And Packie's bomb I don't know if it is useful, I just don't feel the need to use.

Roman's is cool because unlike other cab drivers Mohammed doesn't mind if you have a wanted level or shoot out the window. Can be fun to play around with in free roam or to use as a getaway in missions where you have a wanted level. He's also amusing to listen to. But yeah Jacob's is definitely the most useful and my most frequently used. 

• Like 3
NikoLiberty2008
1 hour ago, billiejoearmstrong8 said:

Roman's is cool because unlike other cab drivers Mohammed doesn't mind if you have a wanted level or shoot out the window. Can be fun to play around with in free roam or to use as a getaway in missions where you have a wanted level. He's also amusing to listen to. But yeah Jacob's is definitely the most useful and my most frequently used. 

You're damn right.

• Like 1
  • fir thi bairns 1
JetNormalGuy

lol, i never used these in missions, I only used Jacob's ability for guns, and Packie's ability to roleplay as a FACKEN TERRORIST

Edited by JetNormalGuy
JaeDan 101
On 2/8/2021 at 7:37 AM, NikoLiberty2008 said:

Only Jacob's hability is totally useful, buying some RPGs and grenades with discounts actually helps economize.

Use cheats, its more useful

But yeah, Jacob's ability is also useful. Even if i can use cheats, I stiil call him for guns

• Like 1