4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Why 1980s - 2020s Time jump is not possible - An Explanation

Orthur

9 hours ago, Ser_Salty said:

Look, I don't know if you think you're being cool with all that edge, but you're not. Half the sh*t you're saying doesn't even make sense and the other half is just cringy, whiny bullsh*t, the kind somebody might've written as a 14 year old in 2009, when forums were still the hot sh*t on the internet. But it's really just embarassing for you and kinda funny for the rest of us. So please don't ever stop.

Thanks for the essay...I give you a C minus.. you're a little too rattled and misinformed but I love the attention.. remember, humour is very subjective.. people like you are very easy to rile up and I'm not embarrassed at all.

I don't get embarrassed by sh*t I say online.. never have been. If I did I'd never show my words in a forum again.. you ser are salty.. see what I did there? 🤣  I'll never stop being the life of the thread.. Unless a mod has the balls to ban me I'll keep doing this sh*t till the day this forum dies.. 

Edited by Thelema93

9 hours ago, MrBreak16 said:

Looks like someone got his feelings hurt...

I just like reading coherent sentences and this dude is all over the place with his ramblings.

• Like 2

Why would they make a game that takes place over the course of a month?  That would require literally 30x the resources of making a game that lasts a single day!

That's the logic of this post.

• YEE 1

48 minutes ago, bakerach said:

Why would they make a game that takes place over the course of a month?  That would require literally 30x the resources of making a game that lasts a single day!

That's the logic of this post.

No it isn't

• KEKW 2

24 minutes ago, bakerach said:

Excellent point, you've changed my mind

A cityscape doesn't change in a month, even a year. It does, however, change over the course of 30-40 years, meaning you have to redo buildings, streets, advertisements etc. You also need different pedestrians, cars and music. So, no, the logic of this post isn't 1 month = 40 years, you're just a bit daft

51 minutes ago, Ser_Salty said:

A cityscape doesn't change in a month, even a year. It does, however, change over the course of 30-40 years, meaning you have to redo buildings, streets, advertisements etc. You also need different pedestrians, cars and music. So, no, the logic of this post isn't 1 month = 40 years, you're just a bit daft

I guess if they don't do a time jump, they can just use one pedestrian, right?

18 minutes ago, bakerach said:

Stop being a c*nt

1 hour ago, bakerach said:

Do you legitimately not understand how time works?

• Like 2
  • KEKW 1

I'm confused. Who ever suggested a game with an 80's-2020's time jump?

Edited by E Revere
  • YEE 1
  • Best Bru 1

7 hours ago, Ser_Salty said:

I just like reading coherent sentences and this dude is all over the place with his ramblings.

You f*cking love it. 

54 minutes ago, DexMacLeod said:

Do you legitimately not understand how time works?

I legitimately do.

1 hour ago, E Revere said:

I'm confused. Who ever suggested a game with an 80's-2020's time jump?

It comes up in the "go back in time or keep it modern" thread from time to time. I think initially it was brought up as a way of appeasing both the people who want a past setting and the people who want a modern setting. The concept has just kinda grown from there with a small handful of people who not only believe it's a good idea but that it's "the most likely" scenario.

• Like 3

A shorter time jump could work. Say 1989-1991 or so. Not very much changes in 2 years and a lot of the same trends and styles from the last decade still kinda remain in the early part of the decade. Like just because it's January 1st 1990 doesn't mean that the 80's are still over yet.

This video was from 1991 notice how the clothes kinda look like the 80s.

• Like 3

So far the only reasonings for objecting to two different time settings is "iT wOuLd bE tOo MuCh WoRk 4 rOcKsTaR"

• Like 1
  • KEKW 1

2 hours ago, Orbea Occam said:

So far the only reasonings for objecting to two different time settings is "iT wOuLd bE tOo MuCh WoRk 4 rOcKsTaR"

You say that like it's not actually true. But even so, what would you rather have? A map with only one city in two different time periods or a map with two cities in the same time period?

21 hours ago, Ser_Salty said:

I think it is actually possible to make a time jump from the 80’s to the 2020’s, if they’re going to recreate only these two specific time settings. For example, some leaks suggest that the main story could be set in the 80’s Vice City, while the the epilogue in the modern days. If you think about that, this is something Rockstar has already done with RDR2, obviously not on a bigger scale, like we’re supposing GTA VI is going to be, but actually the mechanism is quite similar. Also, about rebuilding an entire map, clothes, radio stations etc... I think it is not so unthinkable for a studio like Rockstar honestly. it's about creating two versions of the same map, two types of clothing, adding more songs. as for the vehicles, they already have a large catalog for GTA V that can always be reused. The main character in the 80s, on the other hand, could have a son or a protégé, who could act as a character in the epilogue. I mean the possibilities are endless, especially for Rockstar. Come on, we’re probably talking about the game of the generation, a game that’s gonna last at least 10/15 years. 

Edited by Drummer98
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Orbea Occam said:

It's more about too much work for too little gain. I don't agree with the OP in that it's impossible. I think they could do a 30+ year time jump, I just haven't seen a good reason why they should.

4 hours ago, Drummer98 said:

it's about creating two versions of the same map, two types of clothing, adding more songs. as for the vehicles, they already have a large catalog for GTA V that can always be reused.

None of these are small feats if done well, though. It's not just "two types of clothing" it's all new wardrobe for almost every NPC, different sets of dialogue for most, if not all, NPCs, and different animations for a lot of them. The radio would be completely different, too. You could reuse some of the 80's tracks on the oldies stations but the rest would need to be all new, including new commercials and a whole new set of talk radio shows.

As for cars, yeah, I guess they could just reuse all the old models but I think it's time for an upgrade. Hopefully one significant enough to warrant rebuilding the models from scratch.

The main character in the 80s, on the other hand, could have a son or a protégé, who could act as a character in the epilogue. I mean the possibilities are endless, especially for Rockstar.

I think it's already more work than it's worth if they were to split the game in half. It's certainly not worth it just for an epilogue. If anything that content should just be held back and released as single player DLC.

Come on, we’re probably talking about the game of the generation, a game that’s gonna last at least 10/15 years. 

Yeah, and I don't think releasing a game and tacking on a mini sequel would be a very good way to stretch out the longevity of it. The better way would be one cohesive map with plenty of room to add stuff in later on. I mean, GTA V's gonna go at least a decade and that map was never even designed for it.

• Like 2

On 1/18/2021 at 9:27 PM, DexMacLeod said:

What would be the upside of that? A sudden shift in the "vibe"?

Era can and very often define the game. Take a look at San Andreas. It wouldn't be the same game if it wouldn't be set in 1992.

Edited by Kris194

11 minutes ago, Kris194 said:

Era can and very often define the game. Take a look at San Andreas. It wouldn't be the same game if it wouldn't be set in 1992.

That's not really relevant. There wasn't a massive time jump in San Andreas. Which is what I was questioning the point of.

16 hours ago, Kris194 said:

Yeah but you also forget the getto, the gangs, 3 cities and a diverse map, memorable characters and story, ton of side content and all the stuff like that

• Like 3

On 1/21/2021 at 10:09 PM, Kris194 said:

Yeah, the era and general vibe of that time make a huge difference

Shockwave_NewOrder

in another thread I posted this idea:

make GTA VI in the 80s

then release 1 year later GTA Vice City 2022 (or whatever) in the present time.

with different  main characters. it's not a sequel. 

Big Fat Paulie

Yeah, a jump from the 1980's to 2020 would be pretty intensive. More reasonable would be a jump from the 1980's to the early 2000's or from the 2000's to 2020.

I don't think a time jump that long would work,mainly because of protagonist's age.Someone who was born in,let's say 1960,and was in their 20s in the 80s would be 61 in 2021.

The biggest time jump that would work would be late 90 to present in my opinion,someone who was in their early-mid 20 in the late 90s would be in their 40s by now,still capable of doing stuff that GTA protagonists do.

Edited by GTA-Biker

Driver Parallel Lines did a great job with the 70s and 2006 time jump. I'm pretty sure Rockstar Games can do that too! Maybe Vice City in 1989 and Vity City in 2022. You start as a very young teen 18 years old and you go to Jail after a huge story line. In 2022 you get out of jail, maybe a prison break... and now you can explore a mordern Vice City.

The only problem i see is collection mission in the 80s for the 100% and the Online Mode. But they will be a solution. The Online Part (like in GTA Online now) took place in the 2022 Era. You can buy modern cars and classic cars from the 80s era. And you have a classic Online Mode (Like GTA IV Multiplayer) which took place in the 80s. There is no item to buy and no missions, just like Free Mode, Death Match and Races just like GTA IV Multiplayer:

So you have
Modern Vice City Online like GTA Online (GTA V)
80s Vice City Online like GTA IV Multiplayer

The last problem is with the 100% Completion in Story Mode, if you already in the Modern Chapter and missed some story or side mission elements in the 80s. No Problem. You can find in the modern word a hidden vehicle in the swamps. A old rusty Imponte Deluxo. You can repair this vehicle and tune it with a time machine after collecting 100 Parts accross Vice City. And now you can travel back in 80s and can done some missing missions to complete 100%

The other thing is, who wants to play a 50 old criminal who lived over 30 years in prison? It's a nice story element with the time jump. Driver Parallel Lines did a great job! But i think... the time jump is too big.

Edited by t-p-d-a